Player Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson 2011 Tigers.PNG

Great story, aint no secret I think so..

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-can-become-a-great/

WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Warriors half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
Johnson played with a groin strain in the Warriors’ 24-16 win against the Titans last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
“He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
“He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
“Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
“I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Bulldogs in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
“‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
“He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
“You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
“I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
“Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Titans under duress was really special.
“Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
“Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
“On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
“Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
“He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Warriors are to reach their potential.
“I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
- JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Tedesco, Johnston, and ?

you said you showed facts to show he wasn’t a great player. Your facts are that he he’s never won a premiership. It’s clear as far as your concerned that’s all that matters. You’re entitled to your opinion how ever dismissing a players stats and awards as a way to value said player is bizarre.
its no more bizarre than holding up a team award as a way of stating that he's a world class player.
I have acknowledged that he is a classy player and one of many elites that plays in the NRL, I just differ in how i see his value. In my world results matter and there is nothing that he has done that hasnt been done by many other players over the years. World class is a player that no team could live without. An Andrew Johns type who can carry an entire team on his back. Thats not SJ.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Tedesco, Johnston, and ?

you said you showed facts to show he wasn’t a great player. Your facts are that he he’s never won a premiership. It’s clear as far as your concerned that’s all that matters. You’re entitled to your opinion how ever dismissing a players stats and awards as a way to value said player is bizarre.

Don’t waste your time mate- if he was ever gonna admit he was wrong he would’ve done it a long time ago.
It’s become comical.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
its no more bizarre than holding up a team award as a way of stating that he's a world class player.
I have acknowledged that he is a classy player and one of many elites that plays in the NRL, I just differ in how i see his value. In my world results matter and there is nothing that he has done that hasnt been done by many other players over the years. World class is a player that no team could live without. An Andrew Johns type who can carry an entire team on his back. Thats not SJ.

I agree it doesn’t. Jason Death won the Warriors player of the year in 1999 and I wouldn’t hold him to that level. Johnson is different though. He’s got all sorts of stats and awards to his name that, going back to my original point, place him in the top level of players. Will he be an immortal? I don’t think so. But toe to toe you could make a case for him against any other Kiwi to pay the game.
Got to hand it to you gREVUS. You argue your point well and keep it classy. It’s a pleasure debating with you.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I agree it doesn’t. Jason Death won the Warriors player of the year in 1999 and I wouldn’t hold him to that level. Johnson is different though. He’s got all sorts of stats and awards to his name that, going back to my original point, place him in the top level of players. Will he be an immortal? I don’t think so. But toe to toe you could make a case for him against any other Kiwi to pay the game.
Got to hand it to you gREVUS. You argue your point well and keep it classy. It’s a pleasure debating with you.
He should be Eric Watson's lawyer, he convinced me and I doubt he even really believes it.

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
I have Shaun down as a great player.

I also have him down as an inconsistent, but positive and very skilful player.

I have Shaun pegged as lacking that hard edge that most great leaders rely on to drag whole Teams with them on their way to achieving something great.

There is a softness there. That softness makes for a seemingly great lad, no doubt a great player - but one that probably won’t ever achieve his full potential nor a Grand Final win.

Unfortunately - his decision making and somewhat emotive persona appear to have cost him the one thing he could have controlled - being a one club, record holding legacy leaving Warriors great.

That’s the part that I feel is saddest.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
A couple of things, in the early years where was the Coaching to develop him into a more complete player. Secondly his team mates, with the exception of Mannering didnt give him the platfirm and support so he could develop. We are products of our environment and to me it is credit to him he achieved what he has.

Far North Forever

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2013
Northland
well thats your opinion. World class player, but given a team medal not a world medal. Still never actually achieved anything in the NRL.

But he is showing signs of change at last, the same change many of us called for when he was a warriors player.

I still think that injuries mean that he wont be on the pitch for an entire season and that means that he is not an asset in the salary cap but a deficit. This is true for next year already. And lets see the sharks have only just made the 8 in the last couple of years. its not like they have gone any further into finals than the warriors did while he was there in his later years.

Im sure you will all agree i am wrong, but results speak for themselves and so far he has none.
Kelvin Davis much

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
it is possible that the best player in the world ever, can disrupt a team so badly that it never actually succeds, therefore the question is, is he really the BEST player, or is he a greatly talented individual.
Deep statement that sums up SJ.

He is individually so brilliant at unstructured play that the whole team loses its ability to form a consistent winning structure.

Elite player as an individual, which is also the reason his teams can never be elite.

He is still maturing and that structure is coming into his game which will bring consistency late in his career.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
He’s never won it though. He can’t be very good.
see now your trying to make out that i said something that i didnt.

I have never said that he isnt very good.

I have said that he isnt worth his pay. And that I see no value in bringing him back to the warriors, and that I found his i wont play for the team attitude disrespectful and upsetting. And i will say that so far he has achieved nothing in the NRL. He is good, maybe most of the time very good, but he is not world class for winning a gong in his NRL team, which is where this whole debate started.

He has developed over the years and i think its sad that he wasnt taken in check many years ago to develop those skills he only now seems to be showing, while his body is letting him down.

BTW i enjoy debating with you as well <sigh, shucks....>

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton

I have said that he isnt worth his pay. And that I see no value in bringing him back to the warriors, and that I found his i wont play for the team attitude disrespectful and upsetting. And i will say that so far he has achieved nothing in the NRL. He is good, maybe most of the time very good, but he is not world class for winning a gong in his NRL team, which is where this whole debate started.

He has developed over the years and i think its sad that he wasnt taken in check many years ago to develop those skills he only now seems to be showing, while his body is letting him down.

Wasn’t a shot at you. Also my original point wasn’t that this showed it he was a great player but that it adds to the evidence that he is a great player.

• Haha
Reactions: gREVUS

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
Can't we all agree that SJ is sometimes a great player? But sometimes he's not? And that is the conundrum of SJ?

Was he consistently great? No.
Was he consistently shit? No.
Was he immensely talented? Absolutely.
Does talent make a player great? ...

Did he kick out on the full just a few too many times?

Did I still love watching him in a warriors jumper? Hell yes. But let's not pretend like he is an immortal in the making.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Can't we all agree that SJ is sometimes a great player? But sometimes he's not? And that is the conundrum of SJ?

Fair comment.

Personally tho i think its more some have such an entrenched view that even when he does have a good season like this year....great season in fact...their just unable to bring themselves to recognize it.

Reactions: Defence and fizurg

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014

Enjoy you sticking to your guns gREVUS gREVUS, but who in the last 10 years would you rate higher? I’m struggling to name 5 definitely better halves. Thurstons obviously a given and Cronk and Maloney given their successes but who else?

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings