Player Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson 2011 Tigers.PNG

Great story, aint no secret I think so..

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-can-become-a-great/

WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Warriors half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
Johnson played with a groin strain in the Warriors’ 24-16 win against the Titans last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
“He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
“He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
“Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
“I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Bulldogs in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
“‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
“He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
“You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
“I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
“Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Titans under duress was really special.
“Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
“Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
“On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
“Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
“He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Warriors are to reach their potential.
“I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
- JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
He was always good to blame our loses on. Lucky for us we have Nikorima and Jazz to keep his great legacy alive. 🤣

The Vodafone Warriors are pleased to announce they have signed Jazz Tevaga for a further three seasons.

"Jazz has shown since his first game he's a lightning rod for fans who want to blame one player for shit Warriors performances and even more so since I pissed off Shaun Johnson and he left. We look forward to all the people on www.nzwarriors.com continuing to rip strips off Jazz after every loss," CEO Cameron George said. "I can tell you all the boys are really looking forward to avoiding that crap for the next three seasons. They're stoked. Kodi's just worried Jazz'll get injured because then he'll have to step up as the One To Blame. But Brownie believes he could fill in well, there."

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Johnson claims inaugural Porter-Gallen Medal
AuthorSharks MediaTimestampFri 16 Oct 2020, 07:51 PM

It finished with a devastating injury, however in a positive end to his 2020 season Shaun Johnson has taken away the inaugural Porter-Gallen Medal as the Sharks Pontifex Jewellers Player of the Year.
With Paul Gallen and the family of the late Monty Porter in attendance to present the medal bearing their names, Johnson was rewarded for a year in which he helped pilot the Sharks into the top eight, only for a ruptured Achilles two weeks from the finals to sour his season while putting a massive dent in his teams premiership aspirations.
In returning to the form which had seen him win the 2014 Golden Boot as the world’s best player, with an NRL-leading 23 try assists and a committed defensive attitude, one highlighted by a spectacular tackle against the Eels in round 17, Johnson was the standout choice as the Sharks best during the 2020 season.
Recently a father for the first time, the unfortune Achilles injury notwithstanding, on a personal level Johnson enjoyed an outstanding 2020.
“This is the first player of the year award in my career, so I'm really proud,” Johnson said. "
In addition to the major award, Johnson was also named Members Player of the Year and his try-saver on Mitchell Moses in atrocious conditions at Kogarah Jubilee in round 17, where he chased down the runaway Eels half back, was chosen as the Tackle of the Year.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
He deserves their player of the year award. Looks a bit more of a mature player now. Can see the Sharks missing him big time the early part of next year.

They look like they could be in the shit next year with Sj, talakai and hunt all set to miss a fair chunk of the season and fafita, moylan and Dugan all still on massive contracts.
Mind u the sharks seem to be in a constant state of upheaval but still somehow manage to crack the eight every year.
Farkers.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Johnson claims inaugural Porter-Gallen Medal
AuthorSharks MediaTimestampFri 16 Oct 2020, 07:51 PM

It finished with a devastating injury, however in a positive end to his 2020 season Shaun Johnson has taken away the inaugural Porter-Gallen Medal as the Sharks Pontifex Jewellers Player of the Year.
With Paul Gallen and the family of the late Monty Porter in attendance to present the medal bearing their names, Johnson was rewarded for a year in which he helped pilot the Sharks into the top eight, only for a ruptured Achilles two weeks from the finals to sour his season while putting a massive dent in his teams premiership aspirations.
In returning to the form which had seen him win the 2014 Golden Boot as the world’s best player, with an NRL-leading 23 try assists and a committed defensive attitude, one highlighted by a spectacular tackle against the Eels in round 17, Johnson was the standout choice as the Sharks best during the 2020 season.
Recently a father for the first time, the unfortune Achilles injury notwithstanding, on a personal level Johnson enjoyed an outstanding 2020.
“This is the first player of the year award in my career, so I'm really proud,” Johnson said. "
In addition to the major award, Johnson was also named Members Player of the Year and his try-saver on Mitchell Moses in atrocious conditions at Kogarah Jubilee in round 17, where he chased down the runaway Eels half back, was chosen as the Tackle of the Year.
Well deserved. I wonder why he never got all those awards with us, he had better seasons in shitter teams here. Probly because the Sharks don't have Simon and Rog collecting them all like Jacinda collects nobel prizes and medals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
It’s getting really hard for the SJ doubters to make out like he isn’t a world class player now.
well thats your opinion. World class player, but given a team medal not a world medal. Still never actually achieved anything in the NRL.

But he is showing signs of change at last, the same change many of us called for when he was a warriors player.

I still think that injuries mean that he wont be on the pitch for an entire season and that means that he is not an asset in the salary cap but a deficit. This is true for next year already. And lets see the sharks have only just made the 8 in the last couple of years. its not like they have gone any further into finals than the warriors did while he was there in his later years.

Im sure you will all agree i am wrong, but results speak for themselves and so far he has none.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
well thats your opinion. World class player, but given a team medal not a world medal. Still never actually achieved anything in the NRL.

But he is showing signs of change at last, the same change many of us called for when he was a warriors player.

I still think that injuries mean that he wont be on the pitch for an entire season and that means that he is not an asset in the salary cap but a deficit. This is true for next year already. And lets see the sharks have only just made the 8 in the last couple of years. its not like they have gone any further into finals than the warriors did while he was there in his later years.

Im sure you will all agree i am wrong, but results speak for themselves and so far he has none.

Yeah, I agree you are wrong.

He’s won a golden boot. The top “world medal”
And the idea that you can only be a good player if you win an NRL championship just doesn’t make sense to me. There’s an NRL immortal who never won a championship. Guess he wasn’t any good either?

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Yeah, I agree you are wrong.

He’s won a golden boot. The top “world medal”
And the idea that you can only be a good player if you win an NRL championship just doesn’t make sense to me. There’s an NRL immortal who never won a championship. Guess he wasn’t any good either?
The golden boot isnt given for results in the NRL.
he can be a good player but that wasnt what i responded to. World class was the term i believe. There are many many good players, and at times he is one.
He was awarded a team award and you all went - oh well that proves it, hes one of the greats. I have responded with facts. Show me my facts are wrong and i will happily change my opinion.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
The golden boot isnt given for results in the NRL.
he can be a good player but that wasnt what i responded to. World class was the term i believe. There are many many good players, and at times he is one.
He was awarded a team award and you all went - oh well that proves it, hes one of the greats. I have responded with facts. Show me my facts are wrong and i will happily change my opinion.

So you expect me to prove a player is “world class” but don’t accept the award for worlds best player as proof.
Im also guessing. The Warriors win rates with and without him won’t count as proof either? How about leading the try assists for a season? How about consistently being in the top players in the comp for halves stats?
Some would argue those could be proof to him being an elite player. But let me guess for you they don’t?
What constitutes facts? Because if it’s only NRL titles then Todd Lawrie is a better player than Simon mannering or Nathan Hindmarsh. And as I pointed out, even an immortal never won a premiership.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
So you expect me to prove a player is “world class” but don’t accept the award for worlds best player as proof.
Im also guessing. The Warriors win rates with and without him won’t count as proof either? How about leading the try assists for a season? How about consistently being in the top players in the comp for halves stats?
Some would argue those could be proof to him being an elite player. But let me guess for you they don’t?
What constitutes facts? Because if it’s only NRL titles then Todd Lawrie is a better player than Simon mannering or Nathan Hindmarsh. And as I pointed out, even an immortal never won a premiership.
This is all subjective.Two of our Warriors players I admired so much were Mannering & Campion .Both tough in defence but hopeless on attack.Got in the way on attack.Just my opinion

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012

IMO all players who make more than one season in the NRL are elite players.

i dont expect you to prove anything. he won the golden boot for his efforts on tour as part of the Kiwis, not in the nrl. played with international rules and having different issues compared to the weekly grind of the NRL

the warriors over reliance on him has been an issue for me from the begining. it was no surprise that they were ineffective without him when every other plan was, give it to SJ and see what happens. much like the kick it to Manu plan so many others complained about. look at how they have gone since he left the team and there really isnt much difference.

And the most try assists, wow, where did the sharks end up again? ok that was sarccy and i apologise, i was trying to make a point, but can u tell me who ran the most meters, scored the most tries, or made the most contact meters without looking it up? the stat is imo irrelevent, the key point is where did their teams end up?
because thats what matters at the end of the day. this he must be great because arguement keeps falling over at the results achieved end of the arguement.

now im not saying this is him but it is possible that the best player in the world ever, can disrupt a team so badly that it never actually succeds, therefore the question is, is he really the BEST player, or is he a greatly talented individual.

imo as he is slowing down he is improving because he is having to think through his plays rather than going on instinct. its a shame that its something that is happening when his body has started to let him down, i would have loved to see this side of him 5 years ago. but i also think it is happening because his body is starting to let him down

imo Benji suffered this same issue.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Tedesco, Johnston, and ?

you said you showed facts to show he wasn’t a great player. Your facts are that he he’s never won a premiership. It’s clear as far as your concerned that’s all that matters. You’re entitled to your opinion how ever dismissing a players stats and awards as a way to value said player is bizarre.

Reactions: Defence and gREVUS

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings