Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I really miss having him at the warriors but for $1m per season I certainly do not.
Apparently he’s taken a six figure pay cut for next year too (along with fafita and a couple of others).
What’s the chances of our top paid players doing the same?
I actually mentioned this (and was laughed at) last year.
The club should’ve got Sj, rts, Blair, Harris and green together and said- look we want to keep this team together and add one more gun forward- how bad do u guys want a title and who’s willing to take a 10% paycut to get there?
It’s the only way of competing in this comp now- u need players who are willing to stay at your club for less than they could get elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
How would everyone rate his season?
Bit of a strange one- spent a lot of the season injured and copped a lot of flack in the media esp for his goal kicking (even tho he finished the season with a better kicking percentage than he had with us in 2018) but still managed to get the sharks to the finals and take out their forums player of the year 🤔.
On the international scene he took out mom against the Tongans followed by a shocker against the Aussies and was dropped for the first time in his career only to come back and finish the year with a blinder to wrap up the series over the lions.
Also made the nines team of the tournament.
A real mixed bag.
Taking out their forums player of the year is a funny one. For a large portion of the year they were sharpening their pitch forks and looking up his home address to prepare to run him out of town.

He started quietly trying to get used to his new team. Pretty much just shuffling the ball on. He had a few high profile mistakes, some of it was due to outsides not being positioned. He started to play a bit more towards the end of the year.

Taking a pay cut for next year. Another club asked him to take a pay cut as well, he wasn't to keen 12 months ago.

Reaction score

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Apparently he’s taken a six figure pay cut for next year too (along with fafita and a couple of others).
What’s the chances of our top paid players doing the same?
I actually mentioned this (and was laughed at) last year.
The club should’ve got Sj, rts, Blair, Harris and green together and said- look we want to keep this team together and add one more gun forward- how bad do u guys want a title and who’s willing to take a 10% paycut to get there?
It’s the only way of competing in this comp now- u need players who are willing to stay at your club for less than they could get elsewhere.
Won’t hold my breath tho.
Real shame to hear that. Cameron Georges comments must have really pissed him off not to even go into negotiations back here.
I think he's probably learned a lot in the past year especially about his value as I don't believe he would have stayed this time last year for anything less than his contract value at the time.
I wish the Warriors had have tried dropping him as McGuire did but I also don't believe he would have accepted the critism as he has in his tenure at the Warriors, also hard to drop your million dollar signing watching that cap space being wasted I can understand. I've said before some of our wins last year warranted Lino retaining his spot in the side, maybe if SJ had have had to earn his spot back we could have seen a more consistent player.
I will be happy to have sacrificed this year if we see the rise of CHT and our halves are solid next year but at a lesser value I'd have him back.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I will be happy to have sacrificed this year if we see the rise of CHT and our halves are solid next year but at a lesser value I'd have him back.
Cht looks good. Maybe we should have gone with cht and Sj- would’ve been round the same dollars as green and nikorima.
Green had just got here tho.
I’ve got hope for our young halves- I like Paul turner as well.
I reckon hayze has potential as a stand off too.

Reaction score

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Cht looks good. Maybe we should have gone with cht and Sj- would’ve been round the same dollars as green and nikorima.
Green had just got here tho.
I’ve got hope for our young halves- I like Paul turner as well.
I reckon hayze has potential as a stand off too.
Adam Keighran great for depth aswell.
I thought SJ and and Green complimented each other well in their first year together and potentially would have got better.
I agree with you about our young halves. Turner is really sharp. I hope Hayze doesn't fall victim to not being able to convert to a position to fit in the team as he looks like an Addo Carr speedster winger to me. Fus and Maumalo among the first picked that's not going to happen. I also agree he has potential in the halves if he can develop a bit of a kicking game.
Nikorima I really like the look of. With a pre season to get to gel with the team he should be all the better for it. Passing wasn't quite as crisp as Smith but awesome out of dummy half with real speed. Also possesses some SJ magic, that short pass he held up in the first test looked so natural. Only negatives are defence though he made a shit load of tackles in that game and if he doesn't get to play in the position he was promised.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Well, "promised" should always mean "We know you want to play there, you know we'd like you to play there, so all other things working out - injuries or no form players in the position you've said you'd rather not play in, for example - you can play in your favourite spot if you come here. But no promises from us beyond that."

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
again in the kiwis showed the heights he is capable of when motivated.
I think he is always motivated. His performance under Madge has been a bit of a revelation. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Boy George is a dickhead.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Taking a pay cut for next year. Another club asked him to take a pay cut as well, he wasn't to keen 12 months ago.
Mate if Cameron George offered to take me for a beer I would tell him to fark off. Go figure.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
On Johnson taking a part cut is interesting. If he did take a pay cut going from the Warriors to the Sharks.

It could be a sign of him maturing.

When he was here we heard how much he loved the club. That could be accurate or telling the media what they want to here. Each contract he was looking to maximise his earnings as much as possible. He'd also go out to the market and entertain offers. He's certainly allowed to do all of that. But during a lot of his time here there seemed to be a lot of ego driven things like wanting to be the highest paid, wanting the million dollar salary.

He's been away for a year and got a lot more media attention on his salary which could play a part. Also with his team mates doing the same, he could see his time to win a competition closing and helping keep the roster together helps keep them in contention. Sure he could of done it here but different factors could of played into that like how the club handled it, ego, maturity.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
my belief is he is a perfect professional that always puts himself ahead of the team, great skills and natural talent, linked to a brain that is always figuring on making sure he gets the best of everything. I expect him to continue as he did this year, next year with very little difference in attitude or results. If he has taken a pay cut at the sharks then its only because theres a brown paper bag on the steps of his flat weekly now till the end of next season. The sharks have a history of breaking rules and covering shit up, i dont think they have changed.

I expect him and the media to live on his last international performance for some time. Although that is a two edged sword he may yet come to regret.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
If he has taken a pay cut at the sharks then its only because theres a brown paper bag on the steps of his flat weekly now till the end of next season. The sharks have a history of breaking rules and covering shit up, i dont think they have changed.
An Australian club breaking the rules 🤔 ;);)

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
This time last year Shaun Johnson refused a request by the Warriors to come back 1 week early from his RLPA sanctioned rest period. This years he back 3 weeks early lol...

78550434_10157791533543926_1975245688379801600_o.jpg

Reaction score
Falcon

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The club AND influence of other players. You want to perform and show up for your team mates / competitive environment. Operate differently here, they don’t play for each other - All in? BS.

Oh and good riddance, he was senior enough to be expecting that from others when he was here, didn’t set a good example.

Reaction score

Bushman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Does this say a lot about Johnson or does it say a lot about the two clubs involved?
To be honest if you don't like your employer and they are asking you to come back on your allocated time off would you? On the other hand if your on good coin and in a senior role where you can see your attitude and effort affecting/motivating junior staff (players) what would do? For me my morals would be for the latter but also I don't stand being fucked around. Tricky one aye.
Well my take on it anyway.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Does this say a lot about Johnson or does it say a lot about the two clubs involved?
Playing devils advocate, we don’t know the context. There’s a difference in coming back early as most of the team are or being asked to come back early when others won’t...

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This time last year Shaun Johnson refused a request by the Warriors to come back 1 week early from his RLPA sanctioned rest period. This years he back 3 weeks early lol...

oh yeah cause as if being rubbished while on tour with the Kiwis in England by the CEO isn't enough, he should've forfeited some of his contract and come back early cause the phone is running hot with replacements..

Top Bottom