Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
bangbros18

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
They will struggle without gallen next season for sure!

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I see SJ developing sort of like Benji has done .
Hell hit is peak yet .When it clicks
I am not sure about this, Benji seems to be quite tough mentally and I dont think SJ believes in himself enough to replicate that, particularly when he gets to finals footy where he leaves it to others too much. Thats probably a result of having his confidence knocked by playing in a team that didnt make the finals often and when they did they got bundled out early and he was criticised for not being able to step up. Now he has gone to a new team and is getting the same criticism I think makes that even harder for him mentally.

Reaction score
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am not sure about this, Benji seems to be quite tough mentally and I dont think SJ believes in himself enough to replicate that, particularly when he gets to finals footy where he leaves it to others too much. Thats probably a result of having his confidence knocked by playing in a team that didnt make the finals often and when they did they got bundled out early and he was criticised for not being able to step up. Now he has gone to a new team and is getting the same criticism I think makes that even harder for him mentally.
Yep Benji's got a hard edge .But he picked that up after rugby .
That was rough for him that whole time.
I think SJ will get a bit of an edge to him .

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Except now he's being crucified by two countries. I don't know if he's in a better or worse position, he rolled the dice and lost but at end of the day he's still a millionaire. As Walley Lewis said after the Kangaroos beat us 3-0, "Thats rugby league. We won, you lost, thanks for coming and thanks for the money."
Yeah I think he’s found himself in pretty much the same situation that he was here, just the Sharks fans are probably less forgiving

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep Benji's got a hard edge .But he picked that up after rugby .
That was rough for him that whole time.
I think SJ will get a bit of an edge to him .
I'd love for him to reach his full potential. He has the instincts and skill to be an absolute world class weapon - as he sometimes shows.
He needs quality coaching to get that edge, I don't know if he will get that at Cronulla. He needs a quality mentor.
He should have sucked it up for 12 months and gone to the Roosters. I'm sure Cronk will be there in some capacity next year on the staff.

Maybe he could seek out Cronk on his own next year or one of the Johns brothers? Matty Johns, apparently, does his work for free.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I heard Madge on RadioSport this morning. Key points:
- SJ has taken his dropping well
- the decision was made by Madge in discussion with senior players
- SJ needs to find consistency
- that goes back to preparation, including mental preparation

Sounds like Madge and SK might have a similar view of SJ.

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I heard Madge on RadioSport this morning. Key points:
- SJ has taken his dropping well
- the decision was made by Madge in discussion with senior players
- SJ needs to find consistency
- that goes back to preparation, including mental preparation

Sounds like Madge and SK might have a similar view of SJ.
I agree, but, how does he do that if he isn't playing games?

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, but, how does he do that if he isn't playing games?
He needs to get outside his bubble and get help with the mental side of being a pro. It's not going to materialise on the playing field.
He lives in Sydney now, plenty of people there that could help i'm sure.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is exactly the type of accountability we need at the Warriors. If a player isn't performing (no matter how high profile the player is or how well he gets on with the coach) he needs to be dropped.
Seems like SJ has taken this pretty well and will be ready to play out of skin now he gets another chance.

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If that had happened we would still have CNK playing centre replacing Kata. Fn idiots up top in the club. I think the new owners are more switched on.
I agree that selection is a problem but this is a coaching decision, management and owners shouldnt and probably arent selecting the team.

Reaction score
Raw Power

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is exactly the type of accountability we need at the Warriors. If a player isn't performing (no matter how high profile the player is or how well he gets on with the coach) he needs to be dropped.
Seems like SJ has taken this pretty well and will be ready to play out of skin now he gets another chance.

Man didn't he respond... I have hardly seen SJ have a bad game in a Kiwi Jersey, he did last week for sure... and Man what a game he had!

Reaction score
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Man didn't he respond... I have hardly seen SJ have a bad game in a Kiwi Jersey, he did last week for sure... and Man what a game he had!
SJ and Benji were a fullon double barrel attack, they had them mesmerised near their line. Best Kiwi display this year.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He had a great game and yea he does perform better and more consistently in the international arena compared to club level.

Every time I see him play now it is a sense of what if... what if we kept SJ, didn't sign Nikorima, kept CNK and used him at centre on a minimum contract.
Sacked Kearney last year and signed Maguire who doesn't put up with any shit from the players. No excuses. SJ seems to have a lot of respect for him even after being dropped.

Instead we are left with a 5 year rebuild that we will probably stuff up anyway. Even if we sack Kearney what are the odds we get another coach who is rubbish. Pretty high you would think judging by our past history.

I'm sick of sounding so negative so I'm going to stop. I just need one piece of good news from our club instead of hearing about us sacking the wrong people or missing out on yet another quality player we are trying to recruit. The only glimmer of hope we have is that the new owners have some kind of ultimate master plan they are working on and actually know what they are doing.

Reaction score
Raw Power

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm sick of sounding so negative so I'm going to stop. I just need one piece of good news from our club instead of hearing about us sacking the wrong people or missing out on yet another quality player we are trying to recruit. The only glimmer of hope we have is that the new owners have some kind of ultimate master plan they are working on and actually know what they are doing.
And good luck on that W 55!

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
How would everyone rate his season?
Bit of a strange one- spent a lot of the season injured and copped a lot of flack in the media esp for his goal kicking (even tho he finished the season with a better kicking percentage than he had with us in 2018) but still managed to get the sharks to the finals and take out their forums player of the year 🤔.
On the international scene he took out mom against the Tongans followed by a shocker against the Aussies and was dropped for the first time in his career only to come back and finish the year with a blinder to wrap up the series over the lions.
Also made the nines team of the tournament.
A real mixed bag.

Reaction score

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
How would everyone rate his season?
I'd rate it a 7/10. He gave the sharks similar service to what we've received in the past (injuries and occasional brilliance. And again in the kiwis showed the heights he is capable of when motivated.

I really miss having him at the warriors but for $1m per season I certainly do not.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
but still managed to get the sharks to the finals and take out their forums player of the year 🤔.
I wouldn't get too caught up on that, the Sharks team was always going to be good enough to make the finals whether SJ was there or not. There was a good central core of players there who could grind their way to victory if need be. And often did.

We don't have that core group that know how winning's done.

And winning a fan forum - how many people voted? Double voted under different names? etc. Cofveve! Kayla Cullen collusion! Witch-hunt! etc....

Top Bottom