Rumour Semi Radradra Quits the Eels?

Ozwarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
NRL 2016: Parramatta Eels have denied Semi Radradra has walked out on the club
external

PARRAMATTA have responded angrily to reports that Test and Eels winger Semi Radradra has walked out on his NRL contract.

The Sunday Telegraph first heard the rumblings about the Test winger wanting to return home immediately to Fiji late on Friday night after the Eels’ 30-12 win over the Rabbitohs.

Radradra was approached in the dressing room sheds after the game and asked if he had planned to make an immediate return to his homeland. Not only did he deny the planned trip, the powerhouse winger spoke excitedly about the run home to the finals.

“I’m not sure if I’m going back to Fiji, and I might try and stay home this break,’’ Radradra said. “I’m just looking forward to the next game.

“It was good to get home (during the bye), I only get to see family once or twice a year, and I was lucky enough to get back there. I’m thankful for the club for letting me go.’’

He was one of the last players to exit ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

But on Saturday night, the Nine Network reported the Eels’ player boarded a plane on Saturday for Fiji, telling the club he was not coming back.

b912ebf743e2a3d8cc03628b4e2ae9ba

Semi Radradra before Australia’s mid-season Test against New Zealand. Picture: Gregg Porteous
It was suggested Radradra wanted to pursue a rugby union career in France but he remains contracted with Parramatta beyond this season.

French rugby club Bordeaux had already been linked to the Eels sensation.

“The Parramatta Eels can confirm that Semi Radradra has been granted permission to return to Fiji for a short family visit during the bye round,” a statement read. “He is expected to return to Sydney in time to prepare for the club’s next NRL game against Cronulla.

“Semi Radradra is contracted to play for the Parramatta Eels until the end of the 2017 season, and has given no indication that the contract will not be honoured.”

The club has previously discussed the possibility of Radradra playing both codes and reports of a Radradra walkout are not new.

Radradra and his management have repeatedly been forced to deny rumours that the Dally M winger of the year wanted out of his current deal.

Earlier in the year he reportedly threatened to leave the NRL over eligibility issues which stipulate that the Fijian-born star could not play Origin.

Radradra switched his allegiance to Australia on residency grounds to be able to play in the mid-season Test against New Zealand.

1b21b480a8c3f275e706c952275d91d4

The Eels expect Semi Radradra to return for their round 17 clash against the Sharks. pic Mark Evans
It is understood that there are still outstanding third-party agreements with Radradra, issues with housing, and personal and family health concerns.

The NRL has not been advised by the Eels of any agreement or contract changes but stipulated that is unlikely that a player would be able to return to the NRL for some time if they breached their current contract without permission.

Originally published as Eels deny Radradra walkout

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
Nah as a league fan it'll suck if he does leave.
He's fkn awesome to watch.
Just a matter of time though I guess.
Whether now or later, the dude will end up in Union.

BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
Looks like Semi has done a SBW & walked out on the Eels to play Union in France

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/s...s/news-story/e31caf502ab3528fc575db27fba4261b

AS IF things couldn’t get any worse for the besieged club, gun winger Semi Radradra has walked out on the Parramatta Eels.

The 24-year-old flyer reportedly got on a plane to Fiji on Saturday after telling the Eels he didn’t want to play for them anymore.

Despite being contracted for next year, he reportedly wants to go and play rugby in France, with Bordeaux the favourites to secure his signature.

BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
I wonder when the NRL will take the 12 points off the Eels for Salary Cap Breach
The Warriors would be in the Top 8 if they took 12 points of the Eels right now.

BTW with Semi leaving the Eels, look out for the return of the HAYNE Plane
He has been seen training with the Eels recently. He says its because he likes
"hanging out" with his Eels' buddies.. I say "Yeah Right".

• Haha
Reactions: bruce and Tyrael

KiwiZ

NSW Cup Player
Mar 5, 2016
He didn't leave the eels, turned out he can't negotiate with an international team until 2017.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
He could easily put this all to bed. In this day and age of the Internet of things and social media, he could easily deny it himself. The fact that neither him or his manager have shut the story down to me suggests he may be taking advantage to explore options. Doesn't mean he won't be back next week of course.

Reactions: Harlz

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
He should just say like Tamou he needs to move for family reasons.;)

The video posted above is interesting with the Eels willing to let him play union for a set period. That got blocked when the Tigers were willing to let Benji do that.

The only one I can recall is one incident in Origin camp when he was younger. But I can't recall the exact details I think it was something like getting drunk and calling a girl and leaving a voice mail she didn't take to kindly to.

Not sure about issues with the Dragons but his reasoning was missing out on money due to TPA's.
You are correct, TPA's were the reason he left. He did have discipline issues but they seem to have nothing to do with him leaving.
https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/08/30/3579296.htm

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
I recon ban him for life if he has left, what a bullshit way to go, has the man no loyalty to the club that pays him heaps? The NRL need to send a clear message, if you walk out to go play another code halfway thru your contract your done.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
You only need to look at Souths how a team goes being ripped of a bunch of players just to throw all the money at a couple of players... Eels have a plan to throw $2 mill per season on Hayne and Semi...

Reactions: bruce

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
I recon ban him for life if he has left, what a bullshit way to go, has the man no loyalty to the club that pays him heaps? The NRL need to send a clear message, if you walk out to go play another code halfway thru your contract your done.
$250k a year is not heaps for a player of Semi's quality. In fact I'd suggest that if that figure is accurate then he's probably vying for the most underpaid player in the comp. Pay him at least close to what he's worth with a contract extension (I realise the Eels aren't in a good spot to do this right now) or set him free. Eels deserve no sympathy for the crap they've pulled in recent years.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
$250k a year is not heaps for a player of Semi's quality.

Agreed - it's not a lot for arguably the best winger in the comp. However, other teams in the comp have a history of not paying huge contracts for wingers (there are some exceptions). It wouldn't surprise me if (for example) Manu is the highest paid winger in the comp (I'm not saying he's not worth it, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me - there are several hundred pages elsewhere with the arguments for/against his salary cap space) - there would be a fair few wingers on minimum wage or close to it I'd think.

Reactions: Mr Brownstone

hoolioh

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2016
Hamz
Eels are rotten to the core. How dare semi leave for France to play for double or even triple of his current salary. If he don't wana play for the eels he should fuck off. If someone pulled the same crap at the Warriors they can do the same.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Agreed - it's not a lot for arguably the best winger in the comp. However, other teams in the comp have a history of not paying huge contracts for wingers (there are some exceptions). It wouldn't surprise me if (for example) Manu is the highest paid winger in the comp (I'm not saying he's not worth it, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me - there are several hundred pages elsewhere with the arguments for/against his salary cap space) - there would be a fair few wingers on minimum wage or close to it I'd think.
Agreed on what wingers are paid however I don't think Semi is a typical winger. I struggle to think of a better winger than Semi, since the 90's perhaps a Wendell, Lote or Michael Hancock at their best - he's a bit of a Noa Nadruku on roids I reckon.

Reactions: Jay M

t-wade23

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 7, 2012
Wingers are generally not an position that commands a lot of money as there shelf lives are very short only an select few like Manu and other in the past 10 years have maintained success the winger has become replaceable obsolete position.

And unfortunately for Semi no matter how good he is or will become no club in there right mind will fork out 700k plus for an winger it's just not smart and doesn't make sense to have an huge chunk of your cap tied up to position where change is constantly happening and you can always find cheaper options on the market.

Reactions: eudebrito and Jay M

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
I've been banging on about NOT tying up so much cap space on a winger for ages now. Semi is amazing, he could go down as the games best winger ever. But if he wants the best bang for buck union is his meal ticket. The question for him is whether he does the dirty on his club or not. He will not stay long term in league, union is perfectly suited to him (money included)

Have a look at the list of Dally M wingers since 2004. The two genuine superstars were fullbacks in waiting. Uate was idolised but now can't even crack first grade and is struggling to find another club.

2004 Amos Roberts
2005 Eric Grothe jr
2006 Brian Carney
2007 Jarryd Hayne
2008 Colin Best
2009 Taniela Tuiaki
2010-2012 Uate
2013 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2014-15 Radrada

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28