General Season 2015 Warriors Predictions

Where will the Warriors finish the regular season in 2015?

• Total voters

tajhay

🏉
What are your predictions for the Warriors when it comes to the upcoming 2015 season?

Thread is two-fold.
1) Vote on where you think the Warriors will finish this season.
2) Post in the thread your selection for the following categories:
Player of the year:
Most Improved:
Best Rookie:
Player that will disappoint the most:
Top Try Scorer:
Team biggest strength:
Team biggest weakness:

Feel free to add any additional categories you wish.

Note - a NRL predictions thread for 2015 exists here - https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/2015-season-predictions.40391/

In my opinion we were one Cappy led pre-season from making the top 8 last year. With the boys fitness levels way up, and a better understanding of the structures Cappys put in place (at all levels), and also having recruited genuine class in Hoffman - and gotten rid of some expensive dead weight - our squad is looking stronger than last year, one in which we missed out only on for/against.

5/6 for mine. Anything other than top 8 will frankly be inexcusable...

In terms of player awards:

POTY; Shaun Johnson - time for to step up a claim his position as the premier playmaker in the NRL... It's certainly within his capabilities, just needs a little help from those around him, and the right attitude and he will take us to tr top 8.

Most Improved; Tough one... I'm hoping Suaia Matagi can pull this off. We need him to. It'll make a big difference to our side of he can have a big year.

Best rookie: Tui. Pretty sure he is still eligible, he's only played 3, right? If he gets his chance, particularly in a play-making role, I have no doubts he'll grab it. Superstar in the making.

Biggest disappointment; Hmmm... I'm thinking Fish. Only in the sense that when (if) he gets back, it'll be sadly short lived...

Top try scorer: Manu. As long as he stays fit.

Teams biggest strength: Attacking through the hands. Shaun Johnson and ST about the best combo in the league at getting their outside men away, I expect more of the same, at perhaps an even higher level.

Teams biggest weakness: most likely their mental fortitude... I'm hoping Hoffman can go some way to alleviating that, but will need to be proven otherwise.

Last edited:
I picked 5/6, but let me be clear when I say that the goal must be top 4 or you can kiss a shot at the premiership goodbye.

Player of the year: Konrad Hurrell
Most Improved: Chad Townsend
Best Rookie: Solomone Kata
Player that will disappoint the most: Nathan Friend
Top Try Scorer: Manu Vatuvei
Team biggest strength: Outside back work rate
Team biggest weakness: Play of the ball speed

Player of the year: Simon Mannering
Most Improved:
Havilli
Best Rookie:
Kata
Thompson (just because I think expectations might be unreasonably high)
Top Try Scorer:
Vatuvei
Team biggest strength:
Attack
Team biggest weakness:
Defence

Reactions: Defence
Player of the year: Shaun Johnson. He is our light. Without him we win no trophy. However i believe Konrad and his ability to play out a full season is almost as crucial. Our back row come in a close third. How they merge. How they bond.

Most Improved: Bodene Thompson. This is the year our back row stands up to the brutes of the comp. This man is crucial. We need intimidation.

Best Rookie: Sam Lisone. He will debut. It's a matter of when. His effort and discipline will stand out. His mental strength is what sets this man apart. He has a touch of Mannering.

Player that will disappoint the most: I'm nervous of Allwood. I always expect the best. But prepare for the worst. He has potential but defence is the concern. Is he tough enough basically? Only he can answer that.

Top Try Scorer: Sam Tomkins. If our back line is firing i can see some major points flowing to a free running Tomkins. It's a big year for Sammy. If we do well this year. It will be in part due to Sam.

Team biggest strength: Obviously attack. We can run through teams like no other team. We will just burn your edges down. And if you over compensate we will burn you up the middle.

Team biggest weakness: Obviously defence. We need solid contact. Bodies being smacked. Balls being wrapped up. No offload sprees against us. We need to match their ruck. When we lost the ruck, we struggled. Contact in the ruck and everything else will be right. We won't contain every team. Which is why i choose us to finish 7th. But we can improve and be more consistent. Especially against the middle pack of the table. We should be aiming to dominate every middle of the road team we can.

Reactions: Inruin

tajhay

🏉
Player of the year:
Shaun Johnson to start delivering consistently week in week out.

Most Improved:
Ben Matulino. Big Ben gets his future sorted out before the season gets underway and becomes a terrorising weapon for us once again.

Best Rookie:
Expect to see Kata and Lisone both make their debuts with Kata instantly being a hit and a standout star on the NRL scene. Lisone makes good impressions in his limited opportunities off the bench. Lolohea to have some rocks and diamonds performances.

Nathan Friend/Thomas Leuluai/Siliva Havili. This year will show we are behind the pace with the other top teams when it comes to a genuine attacking threat in the Hooker position.

Top Try Scorer:
Manu Vatuvei again. Tomkins and Fisiiahi behind him.

Team biggest strength:
Aggression and Defensive starch in the edges. With the starch added to our team with Thompson and Hoffman, along with the added leadership qualities these two bring i believe will have a formidable backrow when combined with Mannering. IMO we will see more game changing moments with some individual brilliances such as heavy tackles, barnstorming runs that lift the intensity of the rest of the team.

Team biggest weakness:
Feel our hookers wont be as dynamic as the rest of the top teams in the NRL.

Player of the year: Shaun Johnson
Most Improved: Sam Rapira
Best Rookie: Lolohea (if he counts as a rookie as already played a couple off the bench)
Player that will disappoint the most: Matagi
Top Try Scorer: Lolohea - he will get a debut on the wing and make it too hard for Cappy to replace him, will reap the rewards of being outside konnie and having his own skillset (going out on a limb)
Team biggest strength: Effort and Scramble
Team biggest weakness: Outside Back Defence and look for low crossfield kicks over our centres

Reactions: Defence

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Player of the year: Shaun Johnson - Like most other people, expect a huge year from Shaun Johnson. Into his 5th year of first grade and was excellent for the Kiwis last year.

Most Improved: Konrad Hurrell - Shape up or ship out. Looks to be in much better shape than the previous 2 seasons and there should be no reason why he does not become one of the most dominant centers in the game.

Best Rookie: Sam Lisone - Hopefully gets some game time, is enthusiastic and tries hard. The 'new James Graham'.

Player that will disappoint the most: TL - sadly I think Tommy's best traits are probably what he brings off the field. Other than being a good player in a woeful 2013 side, he hasn't really done anything to justify the hype that surrounded him on his return. Hoping he comes right at hooker but am extremely doubtful.

Top Try Scorer: Manu Vatuvei - If he stays fit should be a no brainer here. Knows where the try line is.

Team biggest strength: Attacking flair - While we may not be the best defensive side, Shaun Johnson, Tomkins, Hurrell and the supporting outside backs are all pretty good offensively. Should be no reason for the old bomb to Manu unless there's really nothing else on.

Team biggest weakness: Front row - Unless someone really steps up this year I think we'll again be heavily reliant on our outside backs for go-forward. Lillyman is the only consistent prop we have. Unless Matagi, Rapira and Matulino step up then it's going to be a long year. Back row is steady but are not going to rumble us up field from inside our own half. Hooker is probably our weakest individual position on the park, unfortunately.

I picked us to finish 7-8. We don't have a culture of winning or consistency. We will struggle to be more than a mid table team. We are building as a team, but the last 3 years are going to take a while to get over. But anything less than top 8 is a step backward and if we don't make the 8 I expect a lot of players to be cut.

Player of the year:
Simon Mannering. (If he is injury free nobody in our team comes close to his contributions).
Most Improved: Sione Lousi (Will nail a bench spot and become a high impact short minute forward that we need just before half time).
Best Rookie: N/A. Kata by default. Will probably be one of the only guys to debut this year so he gets it.
Player that will disappoint the most: Tie between Sam Rapira and Sebastine Ikahihifo. I think both will only make the team due to injuries. Sam's time looks to be up (sadly) and I think Seb will fail to keep up, last year he faded over the last 6 weeks and the same will happen this year. These two to drop down to NSW cup.
Top Try Scorer: Sam Tomkins.
Team biggest strength: Fast starts. First 15 minutes of most games will be dominated by us.
Team biggest weakness: Closing games. For three years we have lacked the mental toughness to stay committed for 80 minutes and this will continue to hurt us. I expect another rollercoaster year of blowing away oppositions one minute and falling asleep the next.

Inruin

Contributor
Player of the year: Sam Tomkins. After a season to settle in, Sam will be our main weapon. Shaun Johnson will get a lot of highlight reel stuff also but it will be Tomkins who is the game changer
Most Improved: Sione Lousi. A big year ahead and time to show what he can do with that big frame.
Best Rookie: Lisone. Hopefully is introduced slowly and not needed to be rushed in so that he can develop and get used to the speed of the game.
Player that will disappoint the most: Manu or Ngani. Controversial maybe, but I suspect with a new found determination in the team and a desire to defend well, the Beast will be once again caught short. No doubting his try scoring abilities and hard charges but staying on his wing will be his/our undoing. I feel a little sorry for Ngani who hasn't put a foot wrong since coming in to first grade yet has to mark up with Manu. A big ask for a relative newcomer and might end up being to much for him.
Top Try Scorer: Sam Tomkins/Konrad Hurrell
Team biggest strength: our attack if we can get some more variety other than just the Tomkins out the back play. Having two class second rowers running the edges will be awesome and I expect to see a few tries to Hoffman off C'Money short passes.
Team biggest weakness: Mental frailty and consistency. Too may times we beat the good teams and lose to the ones we should smash.

Last edited:

Danpatmac

Player of the year: Shaun Johnson - Same reasons as everyone else who has picked him. My dark Horse pick would be Fusitua.
Most Improved: David Fusitu'a - I have high hopes for this kid. I am probably drawing a longbow on this one but I think he has massive potential and if he has improved his D he could be the heir apparent to the prop on the other wing.
Best Rookie: Siliva Havili - I believe this season will be make or break for him and for his and the club's sake I hope it's make. He has huge potential.

Player that will disappoint the most: Ben Henry - Probably going to make myself very unpopular with this selection but… I just don't see where he fits in. In terms of the squad he is handy cover for several positions, but I simply do not see the class or skill required to demand a place in the 17 if others are playing to their potential. The rivals for his spots are better players (potentially) and if they fire it's no Benry for me.

Top Try Scorer: Konrad Hurrell - He will show himself to be absolutely world-class this season.

Team biggest strength: Shaun Johnson - He is set for an enormous year and he will show himself to be elite in his position. I feel he has come of age.

Team biggest weakness: Brains - We have improved this area of our team over the offseason with the recruiting of Hoffman and this answer is hopefully mitigated by a classy veteran's input and example..

Overall …

I'm aware I have used the word 'potential' a lot in this but for some reason I have a good feeling where in the past I have been drowning in pessimism.
If I'm wrong then it's just same ol same ol … if I'm not then we are probably top 4.

Player of the year:
Most Improved: Ngani Laumape
Best Rookie: Solomone Kata
Player that will disappoint the most: Thomas Leuluai
Top Try Scorer: Manu Vatuvei
Team biggest strength: Shaun Johnson
Team biggest weakness: Mental toughness - when the pressure is on to dig deep and to make intelligent plays, the Warriors will fall short (again) in this area. Ryan Hoffman will certainly help, but he can't do this area on his own. P.S I really REALLY hope I'm wrong here !

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've gone with us finishing 9 - 10 simply because I don't want to raise expectations.
Our standing and failure in the 9s this year typlified everything that is the warriors and showed our attitude has shown no improvement.
On paper we looked good but fall short of expectations. (how many times have we heard this before)
Now before you all beat me up I am a Warriors supporter hard and the heart wants this year to be our year. (Like every year)
Also, like you all I know we have the goods but like you all I also know "attitude" has always been our achilles heel.

So I'm choosing my categories differently.

Player of the year:
Matulino - A big year from Mutts will see our spine and Shaun Johnson benefit enormously.
Most Improved: Nani - Make or break year for Nani I feel, last chance to tie up this loose end position
Best Rookie: Lolohea - still considered a rookie at this level but he offers plenty even from the wing
Player that will disappoint the most: Friend, hooker to be our pain point unless Cappy re-introduces rotation
Top Try Scorer: Konnie (means all of the above are working)
Team biggest strength: Our scoring potential
Team biggest weakness: ATTITUDE!!!

Reactions: Harlz
Player of the year: Johnson or Hurrell (if it's Mannering - unfortunately I don't think we'll make the top 8)

Most Improved: Johnson. Like to see him step up consistently, week in, week out.

Best Rookie: Kata or Lolohea. I get the feeling one of them will get a lot of game time this year and will shine.

Player that will disappoint the most: I'm torn on this one... It could be so many players.

Top Try Scorer: Manu or Hurrell. Hoping Hurrell because we know if Manu stays fit he'll score 10 tries or more... which means Hurrell has to outscore him.

Team biggest strength: Our forwards laying the platform, then clinical finishing by our backs.

Team biggest weakness: Our options from dummy half.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Player of the year: Shaun Johnson-Really want him to come of age and shut those doubters up. Think Sam Tomkins will be better for last year.
Most improved: Chad Townsend- think he will step up this year with Tui Lolohea nipping at his heels
Best Rookie: Solomone Kata-liked the look of him in the 9s wanna see him rip into it in first grade. Hope Lolohea kicks on too.
Player who will dissapoint the most: Nathan Friend- not through lack of trying but I think the games left him behind.
Top try scorer: Konrad Hurrell
Team biggest strength: Aggressive defense
Team biggest weakness: Hooker and reffs ofcourse :p

What are your predictions for the Warriors when it comes to 2015:

Player of the year: Shaun Johnson
Most Improved: Shaun Johnson
Best Rookie: Sam Lisone
Player that will disappoint the most: Keiran Foran, Guys he is NOT coming. Give it up !
Top Try Scorer: Manu Vatuvei ! Feed the Beast ! Kiwi Power ! Peow ! Peow !

Team biggest strength: The Fans. Yeah there is no I in team but you can't spell awesome without me !

Team biggest weakness: The Draw. With games at home in Rotorua (Trial), West Auckland (Trial) and Wellington and also across Australia including Toowomba (Trial), Newcastle, Canberra Townsville The Gold Coast, Eastern Sydney, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, that's alot of travel for team who doesn't have same advantage that ten other clubs in this competition have of being based in same part of town. Thankfully with World Cup Challenge along with All Stars Game and Origin on this year we can only hope it helps to readdresses those odds. There reason why over sixty percent of all the starting opponents in grand final over last ten years have all been from Sydney and I bet you anything that you like it's because of draw and not because over sixty percent of teams come from Sydney and you know what ? Just forget everything I've been trying to say ! Maths is such bitch :(

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Defence and OMG
Player of the year: pumkins
Most Improved: silver wind
Best Rookie: kata
Player that will disappoint the most: Thompson ( been built up too much ).
Top Try Scorer: pumkins
Team biggest strength: attack
Team biggest weakness: defence

Edit;
Posted this before reading other peoples- should've just copy and pasted yours Wallacenz- great minds...

How do u do that thing when u write someone's name and it tags them?

Last edited:
Player of the year: pumkins
Most Improved: silver wind
Best Rookie: kata
Player that will disappoint the most: Thompson ( been built up too much ).
Top Try Scorer: pumkins
Team biggest strength: attack
Team biggest weakness: defence

Edit;
Posted this before reading other peoples- should've just copy and pasted yours Wallacenz- great minds...

How do u do that thing when u write someone's name and it tags them?
type their full name and spell it correctly and it will automatically link to their player profile on the site.
eg Bodene Thompson (no profile or different spelling I guess)
Solomone Kata
Thomas Leuluai (striking out here)
Shaun Johnson (well I give up, its not working)
.. suddenly its working after I leave the page and come back, editing the post removes the link on my screen then it comes back when I refresh the page

Last edited:
type their full name and spell it correctly and it will automatically link to their player profile on the site.
eg Bodene Thompson (no profile or different spelling I guess)
Solomone Kata
Thomas Leuluai (striking out here)
Shaun Johnson (well I give up, its not working)

I'm talking about forum members rather than players.
Eg- Wallacenz
Or tho now u mention it, it's not working for players either-Shaun Johnson

Edit- but now shaun Johnson is red- I'm confused.
Edit- now he's black again wtf?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Miket12