7 warriorsfan92
8 chchfanatic
9 the truth
10 m51
11 Kiwi in Tasmania
12 Teets
13 Fizurg
14 Ref
I’m going to be honest I haven’t read all ten pages of this thread. Is it a head to head comp or overall? Plus are we announcing our ranks from previous years?

Cheers for sorting this guys. I’ve joined to the overflow comp. Is this the first year the forum has done this or has it been going a while?

Also if anyone wants any tips feel free to message me. I’m happy to talk about NRL fantasy constantly if people let me haha.
(I was even a co host on one of Jamie Browns videos haha)

I read back through the posts and there was some really good advice there. But here’s some real basic tips for first timers.

1, the game is hard to learn. Don’t expect to by good at it in your first year. It took me 8 rounds to get my head around even the basics of it. This will be my forth season and I’m still learning and I live and breath this game haha.
2, it cannot be overstated that trades are gold. The game becomes a lot less fun when you run out and you just have to watch your team crumble. Injuries, suspensions, drop in form, changes of position or role happen to players all the time. You will always being using more than you expect. Only trade when it really makes sense. Personally I value each trade at about $100k. If it won’t make me that much then it’s usually not worth doing.
3, team value is just as important as points. Personally I judge my team on its value more than its ranking most of the time. This is more important for head to head than overall comps but you just can’t win with a lousy team value.
4, if you can justify it buy the NRL fantasy “coach” subscription. It’s only $20 for the year and gives you better stats and break evens (BE) for players. You can find all these stats on other sites for free but it’s so much easier having them right there on the app.
5, Break evens and Looping will take a while to get your head around. When you understand them they will be your best friends.
6, the best way to stay informed is the podcasts and YouTube videos people make. staying up to date with all the latest gossip really does help. Jamie Brown and the casual athlete on YouTube are really good and I like the Talking league podcasts.
7, this game can be crazy addictive. I watched all 8 games almost every week last year.
8, you will be shocked about how much you don’t know about the NRL. I thought I knew a lot. Turns out I knew a lot about the Warriors and very little else haha.
9, your partner will HATE this game. Make sure you’re good to them in the six months of off season.
10, dont start with many Warriors players this season. None of them are good buys at the moment.
11, don’t ever not buy a player because someone else bought them. There is no such thing as copying players. I made that mistake my first year and cost me badly. If everyone is buying a player there’s probably a good reason. Don’t get left behind. Everyone’s teams look pretty much the same at the end of the year anyway. I played in a head to head final last year where we only had two different players each.

Wow that post blew out more than I expected haha. Like I mentioned. I could talk about this stuff all day.

Cheers for sorting this guys. I’ve joined to the overflow comp. Is this the first year the forum has done this or has it been going a while?
There has been a NZW forum league for the past few years.
I haven't won any of them.

Thanks again Wrighty Wrighty and Dantheman for organising the fantasy h2h and also to Mr. Brownstone for the supercoach one.

I still have some uncertainty about what the best approach is for the trade system for both comps so would appreciate any advice from those who have played it before.

Are you best to use up all your cap for round 1 or to hold some back?
If you have players that are doing well and their value goes up does it mean your total cap goes up, and likewise down if they are playing poorly?
Other than suspension or injury, what other times would you be best to trade? If you have a cheap player that is on their way up are you best to hold on to them until they peak?

Thanks again Wrighty Wrighty and Dantheman for organising the fantasy h2h and also to Mr. Brownstone for the supercoach one.

I still have some uncertainty about what the best approach is for the trade system for both comps so would appreciate any advice from those who have played it before.

Are you best to use up all your cap for round 1 or to hold some back?
If you have players that are doing well and their value goes up does it mean your total cap goes up, and likewise down if they are playing poorly?
Other than suspension or injury, what other times would you be best to trade? If you have a cheap player that is on their way up are you best to hold on to them until they peak?
You want to basically spend all your cap for round one. Any money you have left in the bank isn’t scoring you points. However personally I like to leave a bit in reserve. I like to keep about $100k spare for round one. It really sucks when you have a bottom dollar player that clearly was a bad buy and there is another cheapy that you really want but you cant do a direct swap since the better one is $20k more than the player you want to sell.
Your team value is basically your cap and will change every week. Most decent teams will end up around $15m in value by the end of the season. All the value is in the players though. Any money you have in the bank will never change. Players are just like stocks in the stock market. You don’t gain any extra cash until you sell them. A rule of thumb is that ideally every player you start with in round 1 (except guns like Cleary) should have 10 points of value. For instance Piakura is priced at 29 points and should easily average 40 points if he starts at second row. So there’s over ten points of value there. If he averages 40 his price should Increase $200k. So you can then sell him and use that money for a better player.
The basic strategy for making money is buy two cheap players, wait till they increase in value then sell them both and use that money to buy a gun player and another cheapie.
For example. Buy two $250k players. Wait till they increase in price to $500k each. Then sell them both for $1m and buy one $750k player and one $250k player. Who will hopefully be worth $500k in the near future.
That way you slowly stack your team with $750k gun players.
Getting your cashie players right is more important than getting the right gun players usually.
Personally I like to hold my players until I’m pretty sure they are maxed in value.
Something I think people get stuck on is looking for the best players to buy each week. My first look is always who is a sell in my team. Selling players that don’t need to be sold can burn a lot of trades.

You want to basically spend all your cap for round one. Any money you have left in the bank isn’t scoring you points. However personally I like to leave a bit in reserve. I like to keep about $100k spare for round one. It really sucks when you have a bottom dollar player that clearly was a bad buy and there is another cheapy that you really want but you cant do a direct swap since the better one is $20k more than the player you want to sell.
Your team value is basically your cap and will change every week. Most decent teams will end up around $15m in value by the end of the season. All the value is in the players though. Any money you have in the bank will never change. Players are just like stocks in the stock market. You don’t gain any extra cash until you sell them. A rule of thumb is that ideally every player you start with in round 1 (except guns like Cleary) should have 10 points of value. For instance Piakura is priced at 29 points and should easily average 40 points if he starts at second row. So there’s over ten points of value there. If he averages 40 his price should Increase $200k. So you can then sell him and use that money for a better player.
The basic strategy for making money is buy two cheap players, wait till they increase in value then sell them both and use that money to buy a gun player and another cheapie.
For example. Buy two $250k players. Wait till they increase in price to $500k each. Then sell them both for $1m and buy one $750k player and one $250k player. Who will hopefully be worth $500k in the near future.
That way you slowly stack your team with $750k gun players.
Getting your cashie players right is more important than getting the right gun players usually.
Personally I like to hold my players until I’m pretty sure they are maxed in value.
Something I think people get stuck on is looking for the best players to buy each week. My first look is always who is a sell in my team. Selling players that don’t need to be sold can burn a lot of trades.
Solid advice! Teams having a bye every week also throws a spanner in the works now which I didn't really plan too well for last season haha.

Solid advice! Teams having a bye every week also throws a spanner in the works now which I didn't really plan too well for last season haha.
Yeah the byes really complicate things. I largely ignore them. Means I play some super average players some weeks haha.
It’s hard to give advice to new players since the game is so complicated. It’s overwhelming trying to learn it all at once.

Yeah the byes really complicate things. I largely ignore them. Means I play some super average players some weeks haha.
It’s hard to give advice to new players since the game is so complicated. It’s overwhelming trying to learn it all at once.
If you’re playing overall, byes need to be a factor in your planning big time. That was the biggest change to last years comp. Those who could consistently field close to 13 would rocket up the ranks

If you’re playing overall, byes need to be a factor in your planning big time. That was the biggest change to last years comp. Those who could consistently field close to 13 would rocket up the ranks
Yeah for sure. There was one round in 2022 I think where I played 4 scoring players and had Garner as my captain. Slid back massively overall. I think that’s why I prefer head to head. Overall takes a lot more planning.

Yeah I’m all in on overall, I find that that’s the fun of it, super tactical
each year i have my main head to head team and a second team i dont really care about. one year i made an auto filled team and tried to see how welli could do with it. Last year i made a team that was purely focused on team value. This year im tempted to try an overall team but im scared haha. If i have an overall team then i cant hide behind the excuse of "i play head to head" when someone asks me my rank.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. What usually happens during those rounds where there are only 4 games and half the teams have a bye? Do you just have to forfeit some of the positions for that week if you can't manage to field full a 17?