General Season 2012 - End Of Year Thoughts

OMG

OMG

can't agree. how many times did we see directionless sets. too often our attack was left to someone to create something with individual brilliance. very rarely did we construct anything that resulted in pressure being applied or points being scored. to often we were found forcing plays, dropping balls, pushing passes, poor kicks. terrible kick chases often come about because no one knows what is going to happen and who is going to do it. this often lead to poor field position and possesion. i would be very surprised if we ended up on the right side of the posssesion stakes more than 25% of our games this year. in defence players didn't know if they were supposed to come up and in, hold thier width, slide across, etc. you say that the only way to improve the defensive structure is to change personel, but there are many examples of teams with similar rosters from year to year whose only change has been the coach and 'suddenly' there is a big turn around. from week one there was only the remains of cleary's structures and week by week they were eroded away and forgotten about.

I agree to a point about the directionless sets, but they tended to come about through dumb play/players not sticking to game plan.
Forcing play and pushing passes is panic , dropping balls is a lack of concentration or just Bundy, poor kicks can come about from about 20 different reasons and as far as kick chase goes it shouldn't matter where the ball is being kicked it's farking 5th tackle,farking get there ya pricks.
We had backrowers and centres that were hopeless at putting themselves into a position that would benefit from a decent pass or act as a decent block.
Possession wise I was thinking the same thing but was surprised when I checked stats, We did have a handful of games where completions were awful but surprisingly 3/4s of the games our completion rates were about par with everyone else and had a few really good games at 90%. Structure of football teams doesn't really change no matter what grade you are playing, modern rugby league has seen split centres become the norm with very few variations on what actually happens through the sets to get to the kick, having well set up backs tends to be the difference between the good and the bad.
Defensively we started the season very average and then got worse and then got a bit better then a wee bit better and then got worse and worse and then a lot worse lol.
Defence is either compressed or not compressed, we mostly played a compressed D, the biggest issue IMO is too many bad defenders. You say up and in, hold the width, slide across, it's all basic stuff you should learn early and applies whether your playing compressed or not. Shooting out of the line and ball watching are cardinal sins that were repeated over and over and generally exposes the lack of communication in the line which I thought was pretty obvious. Communication is what separates the good from the bad.
I don't think there is that many examples of big turnarounds Budd, the doggies certainly had a good turn around this year but Dymock had them going pretty well at the end of last year, and the Knights were terrible for most of the season.

Sebastian

Sebastian

I don't know why people keep bringing up our direction in attack when we were scoring more points than most of the top eight. Our problem was defense, it was obvious, surely. We need to focus on defense. Let's forget about attack until we get that sorted. We've got individual talent that can score points, we need collective plans for defense. And trust or competency in our outside backs.

Reactions: 1 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I don't know why people keep bringing up our direction in attack when we were scoring more points than most of the top eight. Our problem was defense, it was obvious, surely. We need to focus on defense. Let's forget about attack until we get that sorted. We've got individual talent that can score points, we need collective plans for defense. And trust or competency in our outside backs.
they are both related. there is little structure to both. where was our attack in the last half of the season. where was the structure in attack when we needed it. i can remember the game against the storm where manu ran out into touch twice because 'he felt he needed to create something'. if you have a structure that the team can work with you shouldn't feel that need. but you are right, defence is the first ting that needs working on. the whole season felt like a team with a lack of coaching. i couldn't see any improvement. sure there were young guys coming through, injuries etc. but that is only part of the issues. the majority i put down to coaching and hpefully that is fixed this season.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

can't agree. how many times did we see directionless sets. too often our attack was left to someone to create something with individual brilliance.

Absolutely.

Probably a tad unfair but compare it to the Storm structure whenever Cronk takes the ball to the line he has outside runners, inside runners, players on the cutback, players in motion creating doubt. Warriors this season, Johnson gets thrown the ball everyone else stops, stares, and expects him to come up with the miracle play of singlehandedly beating 4 or 5 guys set in front of him (seems most fans on here did as well). Dont care how talented he is even the best of players need others working off the ball to put defenses in 2 minds. Hell, even Cleary whose attacking structures were extremely limited at least understood the basics of support play.

For this reason i actually thought Johnson wasnt as terrible (ball in hand anyway) as a lot on here slammed him for. His try assists record was still one of the better in the comp, still scored 12 trys himself which was pretty fair, all this despite an evident lack of structure around him and a forward pack not gaining huge meterage.

Reactions: 1 user
MarkW

MarkW

To celebrate International Killjoy Week here's some lowlight stats from the Warriors 2012 season that I've just been reading on Wikipedia.

Most Consecutive Losses
  • 8* from rounds 19-26, 2012 (note the asterisk)
  • 7 from rounds 17-23, 2000
  • 7 from round 20 in 2004 to round 1 in 2005
Worst Collapses

Surrendered a 26-point lead.
  • Led Penrith 32–6 after 59 minutes to draw 32–32 at CUA Stadium on 1 August 2009
Surrendered a 18-point lead (three-times).
  • Led Wests 22–4 after 64 minutes to lose 26–22 at Mt Smart Stadium on 12 June 2011
  • Led Newcastle 18-0 after 16 minutes to lose 24-19 at Mt Smart Stadium on 21 July 2012
  • Led Manly 18-0 after 31 minutes to lose 24-22 at Patersons Stadium on 28 July 2012
Surrendered a 16-point lead (three-times).
  • Led Newcastle 16–0 after 34 minutes to lose 36–26 at Mt Smart Stadium on 16 March 2003
  • Led Canterbury 16–0 after 21 minutes to lose 22–18 (in extra-time) at ANZ Stadium on 9 July 2006
  • Led Canberra 22-6 after 45 minutes to lose 22-42 at Mt Smart Stadium on 02 September 2012
Feel better now? You're welcome!

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

Nearly every comment that's been made about where we went wrong in 2012 boils down to a lack of structure. Whether it's player attitude, defence, lack of cohesion on attack, player handling by the admin, player fitness, lack of support staff... all of that can fixed simply through a comprehensive structure in place. Sure, having someone like a Mega-coach or Super-captain helps focus and can give a team an edge, but they're not essential. A meeting of players, coaching staff and club admin to sort exactly what's required of all parties involved, and putting a plan in place to implement action to achieve those requirements would see any team in the NRL make it through to finals footy.

When those actions become habitual (or club culture, if you will), then a team can look to seriously challenge for a title. We're a million miles away from that right now, fapping about and praying to every God imaginable that a new coach will come in, wave a magic wand and put those structures in place for us.

Rukawarriorzfan

Rukawarriorzfan

Since august all of us have waited..and waited..for a new coach. I agree the process has been long and drawn out, too many times we've been told one thing and watched another.... for once lets KEEP FAITH, its no mistake that the coaching d will be made inside of a KIWI test where finally the auzzies have picked a side in response to us!!!!!!
Ive read for weeks now how auzzies have felt about our team... and about us!!! Sure we want someone who can 'steer the ship' in the right direction BUT it takes a full effort from 'the crew' to win.
1. Locke - to many injuries this year
2. Tupou - saw little of the ball and when he did had no go foward
3. Henry - looked Good
4. Hurrall - Injured
5. Manu - would be a mean foward
6. Maloney - Good bye to the worst d in the nrl
7. Johnson - great first half season keep it up
8. Packer - Keep going foward
9. Friend - say no more
10. Big ben looks to good
11. Elijah - tackle up
12. Mannering- captain the man
13. Mateo - offload king number 1.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
To celebrate International Killjoy Week here's some lowlight stats from the Warriors 2012 season that I've just been reading on Wikipedia.

Most Consecutive Losses
  • 8* from rounds 19-26, 2012 (note the asterisk)
  • 7 from rounds 17-23, 2000
  • 7 from round 20 in 2004 to round 1 in 2005
Worst Collapses

Surrendered a 26-point lead.
  • Led Penrith 32–6 after 59 minutes to draw 32–32 at CUA Stadium on 1 August 2009
Surrendered a 18-point lead (three-times).

• Led Wests 22–4 after 64 minutes to lose 26–22 at Mt Smart Stadium on 12 June 2011
  • Led Newcastle 18-0 after 16 minutes to lose 24-19 at Mt Smart Stadium on 21 July 2012
  • Led Manly 18-0 after 31 minutes to lose 24-22 at Patersons Stadium on 28 July 2012
Surrendered a 16-point lead (three-times).

• Led Newcastle 16–0 after 34 minutes to lose 36–26 at Mt Smart Stadium on 16 March 2003
  • Led Canterbury 16–0 after 21 minutes to lose 22–18 (in extra-time) at ANZ Stadium on 9 July 2006
  • Led Canberra 22-6 after 45 minutes to lose 22-42 at Mt Smart Stadium on 02 September 2012
Feel better now? You're welcome!

Please please please make it stop!!!

Might add to some of those 'records' next season!?

Danpatmac

with the appointment of Matt Elliott can we change the name of this thread to the "End of The World Thoughts"

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
At least one good thing came out of Bluey's appointment - we now have a time until we should start judging the coach. ;)
Yeah, we now have a time until we should start judging the bus driver. :D

No earlier than round 6 as a tribute to Bluey gets my vote.

fanrrior

fanrrior

At least one good thing came out of Bluey's appointment - we now have a time until we should start judging the coach. ;)

hahaha yeah, I find i'm using that phrase more and more lately. It's like the new 'Ghost chips' for me :D

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Bad buzz I know but found this season defining photo of the Warriors with brief text according to news.com.au...

230972 capitulation

Warriors ... You can trace their late-season capitulation back to round 20, where leading 18-0 against Newcastle, the Warriors fell asleep to eventually lose 24-19. They lost their next six.

https://www.news.com.au/top-stories/gallery-e6frfkp9-1226487250600?page=1 All clubs are featured starting with the Broncos. Be nice to look back hopefully next season and see far we have come, hopefully!

Timothy

Timothy

Look I know Bluey got it wrong but he had factors working against him from management, but when the owner asks you who you want to buy, and you say no one, bad move.
I would always blood in juniors but not that many that fast without having veterans outside of them helping along.
Maloney signing for 2013 in 2011 really effected us IMO you can tell he was off during some games this year, We need a couple more signings in the backs where we struggle e.g. centre. the forward pack have been the shining light this season for me.
The coach question is going to be a talking point until he gets announced, but whoever it is needs to work on fitness and a solid defence structure. DEFEN who for some unknown CE WINS GAMES, imo....
Our forward pack was crap, we had Ben, Feleti and Nathan when he wasn't broken. You then had Russell 'Handbrake' Packer who refuses to run hard at big guys and therefore allows them to run hard at us, you had Sione Lousi who for some unknown reason couldn't get his around running straight and hard he played more like he was wearing a 6 jersey with his little pop passes, you also has Steve Rapira who did one big hit each game and then just went missing for the rest of it, and the list goes on, Alahana Mara the only hooker in the NRL who can't make 30 tackles a game and that's due to the fact he can't tackle. I would keep Ben, Feleti and Nathan also Ben Henry, Elijah Taylor, SAM Lousi, and put Sam Rapira on a pay per game basis and pretty much get rid of the rest.

Positives for 2012....it's finally over!
Positives for 2013....there's 7 months to learn to love a new team :p
But seriously folks.......
From where I'm sitting, the best coach in the world couldn't do much with this team short of dropping several of them, and as we're all toooo painfully aware...WHO THE FUCK ELSE IS THERE????
If Lewis Brown carves it up for the Panthers next year i'll fucken kill him! Centrebet stadium is only 20min's from here!
Strip them all bare (except Mutts) and start again from the beginning. Fitness fitness fitness first, and when they're all puking their guts out, shove some more fitness down their throats.
Play the best players....not the teachers pets....and play them in a position they KNOW!
Manu (and Billy Tuyards god willing) MUST come off the wings....But again, who else is there?
It pains me to say this, but Konrad needs to spend some time in the Vulcans. He WILL be an awesome talent but, atm, he's just too green. A couple of others should go with him.
As Enigma has stated, Godinet will likely be passed over again, along with Mara, and will rot in the Vulcans frequently thinking to themselves " What's the fucken point?"
Many, many mistakes were made this year and most of them were made by management who, for the most part, have not been held accountable.
I will be nervously awaiting the start of 2013 like a 16 year old about to dip his wick for the first time.
If the 1st 5 rounds show me none of the issues have been addressed, like that 16 year old, I'll prematurely blow my load and will probably end up permanently banned from this site!!!

'WARRIORS4LIFE'
I totally agree with you except for the Manu point. If the haters can't stand him that much I would love for him to go on the transfer market so you(haters) could all go 'fuck me why didn't Manu play like that at the warriors we gave him Shaun Johnson, Lewis Brown, Ben Henry, Konrad Hurell and Feleti Mateo'. If we get Manu a 'half decent centre who can read a game and tackle I think you will see a completely different winger.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I totally agree with you except for the Manu point. If the haters can't stand him that much I would love for him to go on the transfer market so you(haters) could all go 'fuck me why didn't Manu play like that at the warriors we gave him Shaun Johnson, Lewis Brown, Ben Henry, Konrad Hurell and Feleti Mateo'. If we get Manu a 'half decent centre who can read a game and tackle I think you will see a completely different winger.
I get cut off at the knees and my head put on a spike outside the city walls everytime I say this but...

Manu plays best when paired with ROPATI, a half decent centre! Manu has been pretty quiet this year without his inside man. And if not Ropati then who would you pair with Manu to bring out the best in him? Dont waste your time picking anyone that played with him this season cause that didnt work.

Xfactor

I love Manu Timothy. To me, he is the epitome of all that is great about the Warriors and rugby league in general.
I absolutely agree with mt.wellington about him needing a decent inside man, and an actual game-plan and attacking structure wouldn't hurt either!
His hands and his speed are an issue though, and great wingers cannot afford to have such issues.
I want Manu to be a Warrior for life, so if the new coaching staff can't fix those couple of issues then he really should be tried in a new position.
The trial games could be the right time for the experiment. We could then also have a look at Peyroux, Hurrell, Turner (maybe) or even Fisiiahi on the wing, and if it all turns out to be a total failure, it won't matter.