General Season 2012 - End Of Year Thoughts

jsmooove

jsmooove

Hard to argue with any of that, though I don't have any inside info re Iro and Mannering other than what's been said on here.

I've also softened on Bluey, mainly because I think he was ill-suited to the job whether he had the support of Iro or not. Nothing that came out of his mouth or any of his ideas filled me any confidence, I think he got a hell of a shock coaching in the NRL. He just seemed so clueless in even the most basic facets of the job, like fitness and defense. Nor did he appear to have the ability to change his processes even when they clearly weren't working. I'm sure the guy has a great 'rugby league mind' - unfortunately that's only a part of what's required at the top.
To be honest i feel really sorry for Bluey. like you said there is alot more to coaching than just having knowledge. I am not going to buy into the Iro undermined Bluey. i think its just a simple case of both parties (players and coach) were never ever suited to each other.

as soon as he said we were going to win the comp(or how ever he said it) alarm bells were ringing for me.

Xfactor

Not a good year for our team in 2012.Lets look towards 2013 Warriors.We have T.L,Todd Lowrie,Dane Nielson,Harry Seijka and Dominique Peyroux coming in .They might suprise us pleasantly or we might get more of the same.Who knows?Cant wait wait to find out.
Aside from our outside backs, it's abundantly clear that the 'issues' have been identified and steps have been taken to address them!

That alone puts us in a far better position. Perhaps the final selections at 3-4-6-7 will resolve some of our wingers weaknesses? Let's hope!

I'm still reeling from the utter disappointment of 2012, but this surge of expectation & excitement is beginning to dissolve it. ;)

BRING IT ON :cool:

Reactions: 1 user

warriors4eva

2012 ?? long gone

thoughts not even registering

bring on season 2013, 6 weeks and counting till game in Hamilton

Cant Wait !!

Xfactor

2012 ?? long gone

thoughts not even registering

bring on season 2013, 6 weeks and counting till game in Hamilton

Cant Wait !!
I'm spewing Bro.
I booked my trip over to Hamilton before they announced the trial game there. I'll miss it by 7 days!!! Faaaaark! Can't change the dates either:(
I'll have to wait till round 1 at Parra stadium which, fortunately, is a stones throw from where I live.
C'mon Sydneysiders, let's turn up in numbers and show the boys we still believe (and to see Ricky throw his 1st tantrum of the season)
Parramatta Stadium is a great arena for spectators too.

jsmooove

jsmooove

I'm spewing Bro.
I booked my trip over to Hamilton before they announced the trial game there. I'll miss it by 7 days!!! Faaaaark! Can't change the dates either:(
I'll have to wait till round 1 at Parra stadium which, fortunately, is a stones throw from where I live.
C'mon Sydneysiders, let's turn up in numbers and show the boys we still believe (and to see Ricky throw his 1st tantrum of the season)
Parramatta Stadium is a great arena for spectators too.
Will def be hitting up the parra game. good warrior fan turnout at last years game.

I am expecting us to get away with something ever so slight or one of our boys slightly off side and ricky go on about about for a week and spend his whole press conference talking about how it changed the game

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
A new year, a new coachng team and hopefully new attitudes so the only way is UP.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

A new year, a new coachng team and hopefully new attitudes so the only way is UP.

I think Elliott has started gangbusters, a lot of comments out of Penrith, about how bad he is, but you never know what was going on behind the scenes, it sounds like they are their own soap opera. My concern is the direction of the Warriors Management. They were too passive regarding the team management structures when it was turning to custard last year, we expect the players to take responsibility, so can Scurrah and co. ME has a pretty good record, apparently he acknowledges past mistakes and has learnt from it. If they play to anywhere near potential they will at least threaten top 8.

Xfactor

Will def be hitting up the parra game. good warrior fan turnout at last years game.

I am expecting us to get away with something ever so slight or one of our boys slightly off side and ricky go on about about for a week and spend his whole press conference talking about how it changed the game
I'm cautiously optimistic jsmooove.
Having said that, I do believe this could be our best season opener for some time!
The opportunity to play our 1st game away from home could be a blessing.
Less pressure + less nerves = better concentration and focus on the game...not the crowd.
Parramatta fans were devastated with last seasons performance, and will be demanding something HUGE from their team.....and they will probably get it for 15-20 minutes!
If the Warriors can hit them HARD from the kick-off, and put some early points on the board, we could see them unravel as the weight of pressure sets in.
Results aside (obviously I want a win) I'm looking to see the areas of improvement.
After 2012, they should be easy to spot!

Sup42

Sup42

Damn you're a hater. I can't wait till he proves you wrong.
I don't hate Johnson and like yourself I can't wait till he plays well consistently.

I just don't believe in not criticising because something or someone is popular with the masses.

Thing that people struggle with when opinion is polarised is they become fixated on a position and stop learning.

I don't care about being proved wrong when my opinion is fluid anyway , play what is in front of you.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I don't hate Johnson and like yourself I can't wait till he plays well consistently.

I just don't believe in not criticising because something or someone is popular with the masses.

Thing that people struggle with when opinion is polarised is they become fixated on a position and stop learning.

I don't care about being proved wrong when my opinion is fluid anyway , play what is in front of you.

My view is that everybody at the club got carried away with a grand final and thought they were walk up winners for 2012. Mostly the same players and with the recruitment this year appearing to be good it should point to a good season as long as a few ego's have been punted along with extra kilo's from training. This is my team for first round

Locke, Fisiahi, Neilson, Peyroux, Vatuvei, Johnston, Leuluei, Lowrie, Mannering, Mateo, Matulino, Friend, Sam Rapira, Packer, Lillyman, Taylor, Tuimavave.

Ropati needs time to build game time after injury
Tupou, undecided, he could start as he is developing year by year but needs to do more work (he has a few mates there)
Hurrell, will figure strongly IMO but his defence needs sorting, don't forget he is green and still learning, but what a weapon.
Seijka, effectively a U20 promotion, hopefully will be introduced slowly into FG
Godinet, one of those guys that leads the way at training and creates the working culture within a squad even though he will not be a first or even second choice but is important to have there, will never let you down for effort and application.
IMO the rest picks themselves, Lousi, Mara etc have to man up and step up and show they need to be picked, the way it should be

Reactions: 2 users
jsmooove

jsmooove

I'm cautiously optimistic jsmooove.
Having said that, I do believe this could be our best season opener for some time!
The opportunity to play our 1st game away from home could be a blessing.
Less pressure + less nerves = better concentration and focus on the game...not the crowd.
Parramatta fans were devastated with last seasons performance, and will be demanding something HUGE from their team.....and they will probably get it for 15-20 minutes!
If the Warriors can hit them HARD from the kick-off, and put some early points on the board, we could see them unravel as the weight of pressure sets in.
Results aside (obviously I want a win) I'm looking to see the areas of improvement.
After 2012, they should be easy to spot!

I like that we are up against parra. As you said less pressure for us and everything on them. Sydney media are going to have a field day with all articles about sticky and how this redemption blah blah. We always seem to do better when the spotlight isnt on us.

I have the impression that parra are going to be really physical and want to fight. I think all eyes will be on your defence and how it holds up. I dont know why but i am somehwat confident about us - maybe cause matt elliot is telling me everything i want to hear.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I like that we are up against parra. As you said less pressure for us and everything on them. Sydney media are going to have a field day with all articles about sticky and how this redemption blah blah. We always seem to do better when the spotlight isnt on us.

I have the impression that parra are going to be really physical and want to fight. I think all eyes will be on your defence and how it holds up. I dont know why but i am somehwat confident about us - maybe cause matt elliot is telling me everything i want to hear.

With Lussick there I don't how they will not be putting the s**t in, especially when you consider who their coach is. The key is discipline and concentration, don't retaliate as it is always picked up and Warriors will be penalised out of the game. We can't afford to have players trying to put shots on and leaving gaps. The best response is a hard hitting line with no gaps. A little bit of niggle from the Warriors to hotheads like Sandow and Lussick might not be a bad idea either.

Reactions: 2 users
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Yeah I said that ages ago. I have since read more posts from you clarifying what you meant and agree with what you have said.

jsmooove

jsmooove

With Lussick there I don't how they will not be putting the s**t in, especially when you consider who their coach is. The key is discipline and concentration, don't retaliate as it is always picked up and Warriors will be penalised out of the game. We can't afford to have players trying to put shots on and leaving gaps. The best response is a hard hitting line with no gaps. A little bit of niggle from the Warriors to hotheads like Sandow and Lussick might not be a bad idea either.

I agree 100%. sticky always has a more slightly dirtier game plan. Id be sending a message out to always be talking to the refs about tactics they are using and trying to get a few extra penalties go our way.

i like what mclinden said in an interview about defence, it was something along the lines of no matter what style they use every player will be on the same page. im expecting to see a hell of alot less gaps than we had last year

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
Just got tickets for the Hamilton game against Panthers so last year is behind us. I'm keen to see how the boys go this season. As said previously BRING IT ON

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

I think I'm gonna hate 2012 more than any other season so far including 04 and 09. They were lazy overweight listless, tweeters. I could point an accusing finger at the young punks like Shaun Johnson and Locke, but really that's unfair. Shaun Johnson only became overweight and unfit because of a systemic failure of training and mentorship within the club.
The personalities I have the biggest gripe with was Iro, Maloney, Mannering and Brown. Iro because I believe he undermined Bluey from day one, Maloney because he just gave up and treaded water to become a rooster, Brown for the same reason for the panthers and should've been dropped from a great height and mannering because I expected a captain to intervene way more and my info was that he teamed up with Iro.
On the bright side was Matulino and some good keen young guys who gave it a shot in a toxic environment.
I've softened my opinion on bluey too. He didn't have a chance, so it seems wrong to put the boot in.
Look forward to next year. We're fitter so we'll do better, Im still undecided on just how much better.

It looks like I will be getting on the usual horse early this year.

While I agree with ALMOST everything you have said in this post, I have a hard time accepting your mention of Locke in the finger pointing. On-field, he was very good (one of the best in the team last year IMO), even while injured he gave everything, while all around him just fucked around (not including Matulino). The reason you mention Locke is because of the negative media attention attached to his name. His driving offence was early in the season, but the attention came at the end of the year and there have been no reports since then. His Twitter comments though badly timed, where actually nothing. He made no negative comment toward the new coach (who he did not know at all), only made reference to the fact he was gutted for Iro at not getting the job. Many others voiced the same opinion, but Locke was the one who stepped up (unnecessarily in my opinion) and personally apologised to the new coach straight away.

I feel without the hard work put in by a crippled Kevin Locke last year, our season could have ended far worse than it did.

I agree that Johnson was a problem, but hopefully that season has woken him up and instead of believing the hype, this year he will create the hype.

I feel Maloney got a little more shit that he really deserved. Though he was not good in his own right, the amount of times he copped the blame for Johnson's woes was ridiculous. How many people blamed Maloney "hogging" the ball for Johnson not performing to potential?

Mannering is a player I have never felt earned the captaincy. While he is a good "follow me" leader, he is in no way a captain. His talking to the refs to buy time was perhaps of benefit, but it never gave us any rub of the green. The embarrassing sight of the captain facing away from his players with his head down, while others were forced to step up and do the talking was not a pleasant scene. The absence of Michael Luck really highlighted Mannering's short-comings.

I had previously been a big fan of Lewis Brown, but last year he perfomed really badly. I do feel a little that the amount of bad feeling toward his season was more to do with leaving than his form. Elijah Taylor, who previously I had rated highly, performed similarly to Brown, which makes me think it came down to coaching and game plan more than form.

I was sceptical about the whole "Iro undermining Bluey" drama until decisions were made over Iro's future. To me his parting with the club showed that perhaps there really was some amount of back-stabbing going on.