Internationals SAMOA Four Nations Campaign

motu1

motu1

some of them could - agree. but others in that side might be on close to the minimum wage etc. It's a good Samoan side - so the starters could probably all look after their families with their contracts. Some of the fringe players on the other hand (not specifically Samoa, but the likes of Ireland, the likes of Tonga, Fiji, PNG etc)...

Coming from McGuire it's a bit of a strange excuse. But I still think they should be paid ;)

they probably do get paid he say's "we get [hardly] anything" which is probably something and if they weren't picked then it's nothing anyway.
so what about the players that don't play internationals how do they feed there kids i guess you're kids go hungry unless you play for aus/nz

Jay M

Jay M

they probably do get paid he say's "we get [hardly] anything" which is probably something and if they weren't picked then it's nothing anyway.
so what about the players that don't play internationals how do they feed there kids i guess you're kids go hungry unless you play for aus/nz

I was more referring to the ones in the world cup last year - guys who played for Fiji who aren't professional players (and there were a few I recall from the articles in the media on it last year).

I still think the NZ and Aus players should get paid. Suncorp - 45,000 tickets sold... that's generating over a million dollar in ticket sales (not sure what the average ticket price was)... why should the NZRL and ARL get all of that money and the players get none? But equal pay for the smaller teams would be awesome as well. For the likes of the big name players on half a mill a year - $30k per game isn't a huge amount... but for the fringe players in the smaller sides on the minimum wage of $70k a year... that's a huge bonus... (not saying it should be $30k a game, but there should be a balance in there).

Reactions: 1 user
Sugar Ray

Sugar Ray

Thing is- the people he's talking about are the ones who are choosing aust/ NZ over the island nations.
If you're good enough to get picked for aust or Nz u ain't struggling to feed your kids that's for sure- so it's a bit of a beat up IMO.
But the rest of his argument stands- even pay would be great for the international game.
Even better would be even pay and even games played, because the team that plays more will still have the leg-up on getting players.

Reactions: 1 users
fanrrior

fanrrior

The thing about even pay in International League is that there is a little competition called State of Origin that gives out a shit ton of money to players who choose Australia over countries that they are also eligible to play for.

If "even pay" is truly going to be even then the money that players get from State of Origin needs to be drastically decreased. Or allow players to play for their State and their country that isn't Australia. I suppose that kinda beats the purpose of the name though...

Its probably never going to happen though. But a guy can dream!

Reactions: 3 users
Slash Razor

Slash Razor

its a hard one, cause really should the NRL really pick up the bill, sure they are the employers to a certain degree but do they actually make any money from this series, plus they could potentially get injured players that they have payed for, I'm no expert on this so correct me if I'm wrong...

it really is a catch 22, who should pay for the smaller nation, yes they should get a cut of what profits are made, if any, but you would think that would cover the cost of there tour, but its also hard to ask Aus or NZ or even Eng to pay for players from other nations, because your paying the opposition to try and beat you, that's why you'll get players country hopping, and if Josh got picked for Aus would he be saying the kids are hungry, or whatever he was saying lol didnt read it all...

but I do think they deserve some compensation, not sure how, but also if you look back 25 odd years the kiwis were prob in the same situation that Samoa is, or even worst, hardly any NRL or Winfeild cup players back then, and they prob only got a small match fee, but they played hard too...

and to Sup42 ok, I'm man enough to say you called it, they didnt win, but they sure hell almost did... this doesnt mean im your bitch or anything haha

• Haha
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
If "even pay" is truly going to be even then the money that players get from State of Origin needs to be drastically decreased. Or allow players to play for their State and their country that isn't Australia. I suppose that kinda beats the purpose of the name though...
That will never happen IMO. The reality is that SoO draws the largest crowd numbers to the game. The games are watched by more people then the RLWC Grand Final! It therefore makes up the most valuable part of the broadcasting rights. Its the jewel in the NRLs crown...

wallacenz

wallacenz

Samoans look way off the pace today. They dont seem to have that aggression from previous games.

wallacenz

wallacenz

penalty's 5 - 1 against Samoa what a joke
The Jennings drop was bad but the rest are the Samoans doing, in saying that Leilua has got away with that niggly shit in the tackle all year until today

..and Samoa score

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
penalty's 5 - 1 against Samoa what a joke
All deserved though. The only joke really is the Samoan discipline. Theyre their own worst enemy. Should sub BJ off is he cant clean up his act...

wallacenz

wallacenz

Ausy look a totally different team today. With a tonne of ball they have the attack to win, without it their defence is lacking.. a bit like NSW

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Dylan Walker should have been sin binned for that play. Clear professional foul...

Reactions: 1 users
Sebastian

Sebastian

I was born in Australia. But that Kangaroo's team DISGUSTS ME. It really is a boys club. That rigs games. When it doesn't need to. They are always good enough to win but break all the eligibility rules. All the administrator rules. Choose their own refs. Get massive penalty counts. And get dodgy decisions. And that's when they're doing well. When they're actually behind and need help. That's when the Bermuda triangle calls come out. Bizarro land decisions that make your head spin. I wanted a Lions Kiwi final but the pleasure of seeing the Roo's lose twice to the Kiwi's is erotica.

Last edited:
wallacenz

wallacenz

Samoa need a halfback, standoff and hooker, they remind me of NZ about 10 years ago

Viking

Viking

NRL.COM has Roberts down for -8 running metres.

Where's the kid from Cronulla?

• Haha
wallacenz

wallacenz

Samoa has played to well this comp to finish like this, time for a comeback