mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Sam Lisone

sam-lisone-1d.jpg

Just a thread to chart the career of Sam Lisone through articles and posts...

NRL prop Sam Lisone coming of age at the New Zealand Warriors
DAVID LONG
Last updated 05:12, August 14 2015
1439485957598.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Sam Lisone has been a go-to man for the Warriors this season.

There was a telling moment about the future of the New Zealand Warriors following their 36-0 thrashing at the hands of the St George Illawarra Dragons in Wellington last weekend.

It became evident when observing who was chosen to go on live TV and explain what had gone so disastrously wrong. It wasn't Sam Tomkins, Ben Matulino, Jacob Lillyman or any of the other senior players, but 21-year-old Sam Lisone.

The young prop hadn't played an NRL game before the start of this season but has gone onto play 15 first grade games and make his international debut for Samoa.

Throwing Lisone on live TV just after one of the worst results in the Warriors' 20-year history was a big call, but it demonstrated that he is emerging as one of the next generation of leaders at the club.

"That was one of my biggest losses in my first grade career and I just had to face it," Lisone said.

"It was an embarrassing performance, shocking and not what our fans came to watch.

"That wasn't us, we dropped our standards and compromised, so we'll be looking to bounce back."

Lisone said when he was given the responsibility of fronting up after such a dreadful performance he had no intention of backing out.

"Someone had to stand up and they chose me," he said. "I'm always keen to get out there and face the media and also tell our fans and tell them what happened."

Lisone said the players had tried to move on from the loss at the Cake Tin but noted they needed to try and play with confidence in Saturday's game against the Panthers in Penrith in order to stay in the hunt for the NRL top eight.

"We're looking past that game now and ahead to playing Penrith," he said. "We've put all of that bad stuff to bed.

"If we can string a few wins together, we're still in there fighting.

"Penrith aren't travelling well and we're not travelling very well, so it will be a good game, but if we can get this win we can take some momentum into the finals, hopefully we can get a crack up there."

While it has been a breakthrough season for Lisone, he's also had his low moments. He was injured in the round 14 loss to the Roosters and it took him until the game against the Sharks in round 21 to get back in the team.

"I got a taste of NSW Cup again and got that burning feeling in my belly and then came back to first grade and tried to bring some punch," he said.

However, now back in the first grade side, Lisone hopes his days of playing in the NSW Cup are over.

"You feel that when you've been up for so long," he said.

"You don't want to be there. This is my first year out of the under 20s and in the NRL, so it's all part of that learning."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...one-coming-of-age-at-the-new-zealand-warriors

Last edited:

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Ideally he'd spend another full season in reserve grade, popping up to FG when we need him...

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Throwing a rookie to face the media after you've just be thrashed by a sub-par team is unprofessional.

95 'til infinity

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 29, 2013
Brisbane,Aust.
Throwing a rookie to face the media after you've just be thrashed by a sub-par team is unprofessional.

Agree to an extent.Maybe more so unfair than unprofessional in that the senior players could've fronted up and faced the music instead.As Mt,Wellington said though Lisone is a future leader of the club so will probably help his overall development.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
sure, when we win, let him front.

but when we lose, and lose badly, at home, against a sub-par team and when it was such a pivital game to our play off chances - NO.

Senior leaders should front and explain themselves.

Unfortunately our senior leaders have difficulty explaining anything (especially on the paddock) and only seem to deal in monosyllabic terms. Hoffman the exception, but Mannering, Matulino, Manu are not exactly confident public speakers.

These younger guys, Lisone, Sipley, Lino, even Maumalo all speak well and appear to have an understanding of what did or didn't work. More refreshing than the usual, "game of two halves, too many errors, ups to the opposition and thanks to the ladies for the kai"

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
I can see Sam Lisone becoming a club great, given the right development - he's got the one thing that can't be taught; heart. He'll always put in, always fight for his teammates. Learning the intricacies of being a FG prop will come with time, but unlike a lot of our other juniors who've come through the system (the Lousi's, Konnie, etc), his commitment can't be questioned.

KiwiWarrior

Lisone Gubb Vete Lolohea promising juniors developing well.. Hang on according to our coach the reason why we are bombing out was the young players having bad culture and not being up to first grade?
How does that work ? Can't have it both ways

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
No I'd say it was more the ones not coming on that's the problem ,But in some positions
you need experience like center it takes 3 seasons to get up there maybe more for
some people ,

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Matulino in awe of Lisone's skill
Mon 14 Mar, 2016, 1:50pm
By Tony Webeck ‌, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com
image.ashx

He was paired with the young Warriors prop in order to fast-track his development but Kiwi prop Ben Matulino says he is the one learning new things from tearaway front-rower Sam Lisone.

In a difficult start to the season for the New Zealanders Lisone's contributions from the bench have been one of the few shining lights despite only receiving limited minutes from coach Andrew McFadden.

Having played 28 minutes against the Wests Tigers in Round 1 the 22-year-old was introduced in the 30th minute against Brisbane last Friday night and was replaced 10 minutes after half-time, a shoulder injury keeping him from making a return later in the game.

When he made his NRL debut in Round 1 last year at just 21 years of age Lisone roomed with Matulino and the pair have been together ever since.

Matulino made his NRL debut as a 19-year-old in Round 14 of the 2008 season, but rather than passing on any knowledge to the younger prop he is watching the Warriors' 2014 NYC Player of the Year closely to add things to his own game.

"I don't really mentor him; he can do stuff way better than me," Matulino told NRL.com. "He's probably helping me out.

"He's got great footwork, he's probably our quickest prop and probably the prop that can pass the best so if anything we're trying to keep up with him.

"I was roommates with him last year as well and we spend a lot of time together off the field and at training as well.

"He's pretty quiet [as a roommate]. He asks about all the players and that and what it was like back in the days and all that.

"He keeps me on my toes and gets me out of bed as well. I'm the early riser but he always likes doing stuff, getting out of the hotel and walking around so I just follow him around.

"I'm like his little shadow."

With 175 NRL games under his belt and 23 Tests for New Zealand Matulino is perfectly placed to monitor Lisone's transition into the top grade after a stellar under-20s career which included a place in the 2014 Holden Cup Team of the Year.

Many players who come through the under-20s competition come to the public's attention through their extraordinary attacking abilities and natural talent but Matulino – himself a NYC Team of the Year member in 2008 – said it was not the way to earn true respect in the NRL.

"It's not always about the big play," said Matulino.

"I found out pretty fast that you can do all the fancy stuff but if you do all the small stuff in the game you get a lot more respect from the boys than doing the big fancy plays.

"For me, that's the best thing I learned and just taking everything on board when you're young because even now for me there's always stuff to learn.

"He's got a bright future. Everyone knows how aggressive he is off the bench and it's something that we need in the team.

"He brings a lot of energy and picks guys up so it's going to be good to see what he'll be like in a couple of years.

"He'll be a lot more mature and just learn how to put his energy in the right place. I'm excited to see how it works out for him."

https://www.nrl.com/matulino-in-awe-of-lisones-skill/tabid/10874/newsid/93776/default.aspx

This article highlights what most of us are coming to know about Sam Lisone - he's a super aggressive high energy impact player, looking forward to seeing how his footwork and offloading ability develops this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan G

Offloading is the key to giving Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Shaun Johnson opportunities to break down staggered defences with their footwoork, but we still have to win the contact first.

Lisone just needs that little bit of extra confidence to use those skills a bit more, Vete/Sao are probably in the same boat but not as naturally gifted as Lisone who doesn't have their size for an added advantage.

Would love for Sao/Vete/Lisone/Matulino/Gavet to all be in the team somewhow. Get the feeling they'd all feed off each other.

Reactions: mt.wellington

phil.kingston

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 15, 2013
Offloading is the key to giving Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Shaun Johnson opportunities to break down staggered defences with their footwoork, but we still have to win the contact first.

Lisone just needs that little bit of extra confidence to use those skills a bit more, Vete/Sao are probably in the same boat but not as naturally gifted as Lisone who doesn't have their size for an added advantage.

Would love for Sao/Vete/Lisone/Matulino/Gavet to all be in the team somewhow. Get the feeling they'd all feed off each other.

thats easy aye:

8. Lillyman
10. Gavet
11. Thompson
12. Matulino
13. Mannering

15. Vete
16. Lisone
17. Sao

Reactions: ramps

Last Game

27 Aug