Player Ryan Hoffman

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Has Hoffman lost abit of size the last few years. I remember him at Melbourne being quite abit bigger. Anyway he's a liability he's very slow. I wouldn't want him on the payroll past this year.

Reactions: 1 user
snake77

snake77

Not sure if he has lost any weight. He is a pretty big guy at 192cm tall. A lot of times this year he wasn't playing like a big guy. He was getting cut down pretty easily.

We obviously have an older player than his time at the Storm. Here he seems slow and not very agile. This stands out when his side of the field is struggling on defense as he can't cover the distance to close the gaps etc. At the Storm he was being put into gaps here he is being used as a battering ram and being tackled pretty easily or being given a hospital pass and getting hit pretty easily.

Having the athletic Polynesian boys in our squad it probably stands out more when one of the white fellas looks clumsy.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
My summer job: Ryan Hoffman, Warriors captain
5:00 AM Tuesday Dec 27, 2016
GettyImages-576538102_620x310.jpg

Ryan Hoffman of the Warriors. Photo / Getty Images

What was your summer job when you were at school/uni, and what did it entail?

My first job was actually a paper-boy delivering the afternoon newspapers in Wellington for the Evening Post!

How/why did you end up working there?

I met someone when I first moved to New Zealand at school who was delivering papers and he asked if I could be his reliever when he couldn't do it. That's how I started and eventually I got my own paper route.

What did you like/not like about it?

What I liked about it was getting my own money!!! It was pretty good too. About $21 a week which was great for an 11-year-old. What I didn't like were the Saturday deliveries because those papers weighed a tonne - ha!

Did you have any embarrassing moments working there, and if so what happened?

It was the first time I was working and I got my stack of papers, put them in my carry bag and hopped on my bike. I must have stacked them the wrong way because I only lasted about 5 minutes because I couldn't carry and pedal at the same time. I actually panicked so I hid the papers in a park, raced home to mum and asked her to drive me around to deliver them. Not a good first day! However, a great lesson in paying attention and after that I worked out how to stack them properly.

What was your dream job at that age?

My father played professional league for the Canberra Raiders and like most boys I wanted to be just like my dad, so my dream job was to be a professional rugby league player. My dream came true, especially now playing in New Zealand for the Vodafone Warriors, bring on 2017!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11769221

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Yeah bro that's really how we got him here, he knows Kiwi life, would a sold it on the Missus and family quite easily.
Not to mention the offer that was too good to refuse. His words not mine...

Reactions: 2 users
snake77

snake77

Hopefully when his contract comes due at the end of the year we give Taumalolo an offer to good to refuse. Hopefully his words not mine. He also knows the NZ way of life. Just saying.;)

The papers really must need to scrap the barrel for sports news at this time of the year. Now we are down to what did <insert sportsmen here> have as a summer job.

His story of not packing the bag on his bike was a bit of a disaster. My lazy mate would have some tips for him, weasel your way into doing your street and the adjoining streets so you don't have to peddle to far. Then get your two younger mates from your street (yes me:() to do half the work for you. Hey it means you can load your bike and peddle.;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
The papers really must need to scrap the barrel for sports news at this time of the year. Now we are down to what did <insert sportsmen here> have as a summer job.
Actually a series they do on anyone with a D Grade celebrity status or higher in NZ. Just thought Id post it up cause its quiet around here and Ive bashed the Butch enough...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

Just thought Id post it up cause its quiet around here and Ive bashed the Butch enough...
Fair enough on the Butcher bit. We have squashed the beef enough on that silly sausage.:p

If Hoffman is still our captain next year lets hope the first lesson he learnt was not to mention the boys have been training hard and this is the best pre season ever.

Sup42

Sup42

Fair enough on the Butcher bit. We have squashed the beef enough on that silly sausage.:p

If Hoffman is still our captain next year lets hope the first lesson he learnt was not to mention the boys have been training hard and this is the best pre season ever.
Probably true but.
You would hope with Doyle a season or two down the track, Kearney McNamara, and Cappy Jones that this really would be the best preseason ever.

Then you have:

Hoffman
Mannering
Thompson
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Foran
Johnson
Lillyman
Vatuvei

All reputed hard trainers with all the NRL experience in the world.

Then they have the Hungry trying hard guys:

Roach
Fusitua
Tevanga
Gubb
Afoa
Sipley

Then there is a separate spot for special mention.

Solomone Kata.

Every club has a player that continues to surprise. A perfect student. Someone that enjoys a meteoric rise in their defensive capability, the hardest part of League. That is someone that teaches an organisation what to look for In their junior recruitment.....'

In the absence of local coaching depth in NZ....while this vacuum exists.....the right paradigm to adopt in our sea of 'talented players with potential.....against a backdrop of constantly Sacking coaches' ....would seem to be to elevate kids who are teachable....find more Katas.

Reactions: 4 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Probably true but.
You would hope with Doyle a season or two down the track, Kearney McNamara, and Cappy Jones that this really would be the best preseason ever.

Then you have:

Hoffman
Mannering
Thompson
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Foran
Johnson
Lillyman
Vatuvei

All reputed hard trainers with all the NRL experience in the world.

Then they have the Hungry trying hard guys:

Roach
Fusitua
Tevanga
Gubb
Afoa
Sipley

Then there is a separate spot for special mention.

Solomone Kata.

Every club has a player that continues to surprise. A perfect student. Someone that enjoys a meteoric rise in their defensive capability, the hardest part of League. That is someone that teaches an organisation what to look for In their junior recruitment.....'

In the absence of local coaching depth in NZ....while this vacuum exists.....the right paradigm to adopt in our sea of 'talented players with potential.....against a backdrop of constantly Sacking coaches' ....would seem to be to elevate kids who are teachable....find more Katas.
I think they are, Nat Roache and Bunty Afoa are destined for stardom, just for starters.

1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Ryan Hoffman wanted at least one more year at the Warriors
  • 13 minutes ago
  • By Matt Tewhatu

Departing Warrior Ryan Hoffman admits to being "very disappointed" upon hearing that 2017 was going to be his last year at the NRL club - and says he still has a lot to offer the game.

Hoffman captained the Warriors in 2016 but has been informed by new coach Steven Kearney that his services won't be required beyond this year.

"I was very disappointed," Hoffman told journalists.

"I enjoy playing for this club and I certainly enjoyed leading this club.

"[It's disappointing] any time you get told that you're not going to be the captain or the club's going in a different way.

"I was keen to stay one more year but the club's made their decision, they were upfront, as a footy player you accept it and move on."

At 33 years of age, Hoffman said he wasn't ready to give up the ghost, expressing a strong desire to play beyond 2017.

"Nothing's going to change for me on or off the paddock, what I'm doing. I'm keen to play again next year and I'm really looking forward to putting the boots on somewhere.

"I've got options open. Like I said, I'm not ready to finish playing rugby league, I still think I've got quite a bit to offer so I'm keen to play again."

The decorated Hoffman - who earned 14 appearances for New South Wales as well as six Test appearances for Australia - threw his whole support behind new captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, who will lead the team for the first time in their trial match against the Melbourne Storm this weekend.

"Decisions have been made for the betterment of the club and what the club wants to go towards so you certainly can't begrudge that and they've picked a great leader in Roger.

"I think he's going to be an extremely enthusiastic [captain]. He's a young bloke, if you see the way he plays, he's a very excitable bloke, he wants to get up and be around the boys.

"He'll probably be a bit more of a different captain than I was but maybe that's something the group needs."

When asked how he'd find having to hide his disappointment in leaving the club during the upcoming year, Hoffman was straight up.

"It's really easy, I'm a professional rugby league player and the focus of a professional rugby league player is getting the results. If that's what Steve thinks is the best way to get the results, I'm 100 percent for it."

Hoffman will be a straight swap for the Storm's Tohu Harris, who will join the club at the end of the season.

Newshub.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Blain

Blain

Good call from the club, Hoff is not a bad player or anything, but we need to use our cap far more wisely then investing in aging players, who will take a spot on the bench (with Harris taking his starting spot) and preventing possibly developing youngsters.

A shame the same can't be said about Manu.. His contract was far too long for a aging winger who has relied on power alone for so many seasons. I'm keeping faith in the Beast that last year was a one off, but I'm not confident.

Reactions: 6 users
Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
Good call from the club, Hoff is not a bad player or anything, but we need to use our cap far more wisely then investing in aging players, who will take a spot on the bench (with Harris taking his starting spot) and preventing possibly developing youngsters.

A shame the same can't be said about Manu.. His contract was far too long for a aging winger who has relied on power alone for so many seasons. I'm keeping faith in the Beast that last year was a one off, but I'm not confident.

Would have preferred they left Hoff as Captain for this year to give Roger a chance to get back into the game without undue pressure. Totally agree that Manu's contract extension given age & injuries was irresponsible & imo has hampered the club both financially & in recruitment planning.

Reactions: 3 users
fizurg

fizurg

Only thing that surprises me is that the club have said they don't want him.
Seems silly to cut out your options when you could have offered him a massively reduced contract and kept him in reserves
I guess a player of his caliber would never accept that though. Either that or they really do want an all kiwi squad.

Defence

Defence

All class.
No doubt he always gives 100% but it's a young mans game now.
Hopefully the boys do the right thing and send him off on a high note.

Reactions: 4 users
InsideBall

InsideBall

Guy needs to be thinking more about his health... he's been knocked out way too many times in the last couple of years.

Reactions: 7 users

diehard

I thought that SK handled it well, and Hoff said as much in the article. He's being replaced by a guy in his prime who's as good as, if not better than he is. I wish him the best.

Reactions: 5 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I thank Ryan Hoffman for his service to the Warriors but agree with the decision to let him go. We are swapping him for Tohu Harris who is younger, fitter and be cheaper than Hoffman who would have been on a top 5 marquee contract. Good decision IMO. Hoffman was getting past it. Just hope they have backed the right horse to replace him...

Reactions: 10 users