General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
I think management took Mannering's emotions to heart and did what was best for him. Mannering concurred. Shauny J in 2018

Far North Forever

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2013
Northland
Captaincy most definitely wore him down, how can it not with all the shit footy we played. You could see he wasn't getting a response from the troops when games were tight. Any ho The Hoff conjours up visions of people running freely through the sand rather than Capn Mannering which instilled a Dads Army mentality, I jest. Good luck Simon let your ball skills flow now Bro.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Mannering has come off the longest off season he's had for a long time. Chances are he would have come back for 2016 refreshed and ready to hit top form. If he's decided that the captaincy is too much of a burden or may hinder him from playing his best he's earned the right to decide he wants to move on from the role. After everything that has happened at the club during his tenure I don't blame him.

He's also had another kid recently so the extra public scrutiny and extra responsibilities probably weren't too appealing. Now he can head off after training and be with his new born child. We get a fresh voice leading the side and a new voice discussing issues with the referees.

Reactions: jonno and Defence

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
This is the crux of it for me. Mannering - great, great player though he is...the team needed and will always need more than leading by example.

Assuming Hoffman's appointment means that he is happy in Auckland and is 100% fit etc, then he's the right man for the job. There's no question about that. His seniority and achievements command respect, he has total commitment and he talks to the young guys on the field when they need it.

I'd say our chances for 2016 have just gone up several notches.

Stay fit, Hoff!
Why didn't it work when Price was captain then? He was the vocal leader you want so bad. How did that end?

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
The problem with having a vocal leader is that the fans like seeing and hearing it but the players often don't. One guy screaming and barking at them can get old quickly. History will say that whenever coaches or captains like that come along they only last or have impact for a very limited time before it gets old and becomes white noise to the majority. Look at Daniel Anderson or Steve Price. It lasted well for a season or two before they lost the masses.
Does it really matter this time around if Hoffman is only a short-term skipper? Maybe not but what happens if it falls over quickly? Could it have a negative impact this year?
The Warriors finally have a competitive roster - the best since the 2002-03 time when they had a number of players who were the best in the world or close to in their positions - Toopi, Meli, Lauitiiti, Jones etc. This roster might not be a hands down top four roster but it is good enough to become a top four team if it plays well.
It is a shame we don't get to see how they would have gone with a solid front office, a decent roster and Mannering's captaincy. I hope for his sake it really was his call and there was not porkies told. He deserves a lot better for being the guy to accept the captaincy when he has basically been in an environment set up to fail the whole time he's been in charge.

Reactions: brightman

DavidMcKay1974

Warriors 1st Grader
Aug 28, 2013
Shocked to come online within the last thirty minutes and see that Mannering has stepped down from the role. Read all comments, and watched the videos. I liked Simon as captain but he did become stale in the last couple of years. I'm glad that Hoffman got the job, and he can now bark at everyone as captain. Can't wait to see him in action.

A bit disconcerting to hear that he also felt unhappy and wanted out. I like Hoffman. He knows what he wants and doesn't suffer fools easily.

warriors4sure

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 16, 2013
First time I think the club has got something seriously wrong in their major decision-making for quite some time. Mannering is, hands-down my first choice, but if he doesn't want the job fair enough - they have to appoint someone. Hoffman is a stop-gap measure at best however. He is a true pro and will bust his ass for the team but I would much prefer Johnson to take over now.
Luke can assist and fill in but there comes a great responsibility as club captain that goes beyond steering the team around the park. Johnson ticks all of those boxes.
Reckon they have this one wrong.
Where is the club wrong in the decision making process? Johnson has admitted that he is not ready for the job.

Reactions: Defence

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
this is similar to the flag debate...

I'm no fan of the current flag and I would be totally in favour of changing it to another, better option that makes logical sense.

The one we have been offered is not to my taste.

I don't have faith in Mannering's captaincy and wanted him replaced (I admire him hugely as a player)
However, I really don't like the offered replacement.

Hoffman is a first choice player, no brainer there for me... be he is probably not here next year and there are rumours of him being unhappy here.

I'm underwhelmed.
It's a funny one. I got the email and my thoughts were;
Good for Simon - courageous
Good replacement - Hoffman
Has a voice so the forums complaints answered
Forum rumours must be horseshit rumours
Gee we go off early on horseshit rumours
This will hopefully stop that......
Ha! Who am I kidding?!?

That is all.

• Haha
Reactions: surfin and Defence

Danpatmac

It's a funny one. I got the email and my thoughts were;
Good for Simon - courageous
Good replacement - Hoffman
Has a voice so the forums complaints answered
Forum rumours must be horseshit rumours
Gee we go off early on horseshit rumours
This will hopefully stop that......
Ha! Who am I kidding?!?

That is all.

I simply believe there are at least 2 better candidates... that's my beef.

Reactions: jsmooove

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Nice one Mannering. Hoffman was a logical choice if no else was there to step up.

The scary thing is that Mannering himself said he can just concentrate on playing...surely he cannot get any better!

Reactions: Defence

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
May 18, 2012
Churchur
WTF been busy at work and missed calls from the Bros and Nek Minnit get farked.

Shot Manners that would have been causing him some sleepless nights, big call but he has done the right thing by his team.

Hoffman will excel and I think we will only benefit by this decision.

The reason I didn't want Manners as Cap is simple as and had very little to do with his ability but was far more logical.

Referering and the way a Captain imposes himself has far more to it than just wanting an answer and after many years of Manners giving up instead of demanding an answer and putting it back on the Refereeing and buying the team time, this can only be good IMO.

The Hoff will buy our team 20 to 60 secs each break down just demanding an explanation.

This will bring out the best in Simon, you're a fool if you dont have him as your SC Captain.

Much respect to Simon this would have been an immensely difficult decision.

Thats some Samurai shit.

Last edited:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Funny i can only see an upside to this no matter which way you look at it.

If Mannering was pushed it was with the full support of Doyle and this man can do no wrong :cat:
If Mannering left voluntarily then it was again a good call to recognise that he wasnt helping the team by staying there. :joyful:

Mannering has lead this team through some of the shitiest performances i have seen as a lifer in the Warriors fan club. If Shaun Johnson were to take on the captaincy now what positives can he draw from that. Mannering is still in a position where he can continue to lead from the front and inspire by doing, he just no longer has a C after his name. He can now leave the responsibility to verbally inspire and chastise to someone else and get on with the stuff hes good at.

With Shaun Johnson leading the attack, Hoffman focusing the players, Bully controlling the play, Manu and Mannering inspiring by doing and TL on the sideline, it honestly looks to me as though the warriors are finally able to tick all the boxes needed to have an effective leadership group.

Dont discount that the younger players have been bought up with a silent leader and communication on the field has been lacking for years. With Bully, Hoffman and Shaun Johnson all talking all the time, they may finally register that in a team game communication is key.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
WTF been busy at work and missed calls from the Bros and Nek Minnit get farked.

Shot Manners that would have been causing him some sleepless nights, big call but he has done the right thing by his team.

Hoffman will excel and I think we will only benefit by this decision.

The reason I didn't want Manners as Cap is simple as and had very little to do with his ability but was far more logical.

Referering and the way a Captain imposes himself has far more to it than just wanting an answer and after many years of Manners giving up instead of demanding an answer and putting it back on the Refereeing and buying the team time, this can only be good IMO.

The Hoff will buy our team 20 to 60 secs each break down just demanding an explanation.

This will bring out the best in Simon, you're a fool if you dont have him as your SC Captain.

Much respect to Simon this would have been an immensely difficult decision.

Thats some Samurai shit.

Did you forget, the rules changed last year and the captains are not allowed to approach the ref and demand an explanation. Besides when did that ever change a decision, especially when a quick tap is allowed.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Did you forget, the rules changed last year and the captains are not allowed to approach the ref and demand an explanation. Besides when did that ever change a decision, especially when a quick tap is allowed.
Good captains are always at the referee, Cameron Smith would be the best at it. Sure they aren't going to change a decision but they might think twice next time. Steve Price was at them so much I think he was the most unpopular captain in the NRL.
Why didn't it work when Price was captain then? He was the vocal leader you want so bad. How did that end?
Price was a hard nosed Australian style pro. He played his role to the max and expected everybody else to do the same. I don't know what the actual problem was but my guess he was not very inclusive, the personal car from the airport is an example. It might have worked in Australia but not with the sensitive new age guys we had here.

Reactions: OMG

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Still a better winning percentage than the precious Mr Price that people rated so highly.
Before they signed him I had always thought he was the ideal guy for the club, but after he joined I changed my mind. I just don't think he ever fitted for some reason. Just my opinion though, I don't know the guy personally.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
I hope for his sake it really was his call and there was not porkies told. He deserves a lot better for being the guy to accept the captaincy when he has basically been in an environment set up to fail the whole time he's been in charge.
I have no doubt this decision was all Mannering, his initiative, of his accord. Just look at the character of the man for confirmation, he won't pull a Steve Price sore foot and never return, he'll enjoy the fruits of success with his team mates a couple more seasons.

Reactions: Zarjaz

Nahz

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 10, 2012
didnt Mannering have a lengthy sickness at the end of the NRL season? hence not going on tour

think the bloke was simply drained & mentally & physically tired-who wouldnt be after years of consistency hes shown
something had 2 give which seems like it was his captaincy
obviously no good to your family & kids if your healths farked

dont believe Mannering is the type that would openly lie about it all
anyone who thinks any different i think is just being paranoid

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings