General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
i thought price was very popular on the field it was just off the field due to age difference and different interests in life. am i missing something?
Little things like coming home from away trips being collected by his own Warriors laid on car to take him home while the team went in the bus. Great idea from his agent but not the best for team unity. Like it or not this is a Polynesian club and Polynesians follow leaders who lead by example from the front. IMO that is why Ivan Cleary appointed Mannering. He is one of the most respected players in the NRL, way more than Hoffman at Hoffman's own admission.

Reactions: Freddie Futler

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
After six years of fronting up to the media to discuss repeated failures from Coaches and team-mates, six years of leading a bunch of boy-men who barely seem to give a shit about training when you train and play to the highest degree of professionalism yourself must have utterly done Mannering's head in. I'm amazed that the man has retained any sanity.
Exactly, and add to that making extra tackles that his team mates missed.

Reactions: ACT Warrior

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ptaincy-experience-gained-under-cameron-smith
"
Although Mannering will no longer be captain, Hoffman says he'll still be a leader of the team and he'll tap into the experience the Kiwi has.

"As a mate he's always going to be there," Hoffman said.

"Simon is still a leader at this club, that hasn't changed. His status within the team and our leadership group hasn't diminished, it's probably gone forward because he's made such a selfless decision.

"If Simon had any sort of ego, he would have dug his heels in, but he knows that what's best for him and for the club to go forward is a happy Simon Mannering and I think we're going to get that now."

So he was pushed after all.:oops::rolleyes:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
First time I think the club has got something seriously wrong in their major decision-making for quite some time. Mannering is, hands-down my first choice, but if he doesn't want the job fair enough - they have to appoint someone. Hoffman is a stop-gap measure at best however. He is a true pro and will bust his ass for the team but I would much prefer Johnson to take over now.
Luke can assist and fill in but there comes a great responsibility as club captain that goes beyond steering the team around the park. Johnson ticks all of those boxes.
Reckon they have this one wrong.

i know we debated this adnauseum last year, and i am very happy with the result Hoffman is a wonderful choice and was already doing the job. But i agree that Hoffman will only hold the captaincy for a couple of years at most. 3 - 4 at most.

Personally i worry that making Shaun Johnson captain would be the same as when they made Stacey captain in that it was the begining of his decline. I always thought it was the extra pressure related to being captain that destroyed his game, that and him turning gun shy after the arm break.

Maybe by the time Hoffman is ready to retire or move on Shaun Johnson will be ready, but right now they got it right IMO.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I guess it's not directly applicable to on-field calls and such, but the Bore Blacks are using something similar, as is my company.

The idea of a submarine commander being an autocratic leader who must make all decisions, despite not being the technical expert for any one area.

And the decision to delegate decision authority / empower the whole crew to be a crew of 100 leaders rather than 99 followers and 1 over-burdened autocratic leader.

Basically acknowledging the team's individual strengths and empowering them to be leaders in their own right, making a better performing unit across the board.

I didn't explain it well but I hope you get what I mean :)
while this is nice most of the time, there does come times when one person needs to talk and everyone else needs to shut up and listen. realistically this will only happen if you have the authority that comes with being the boss.

Reactions: OMG and bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
while this is nice most of the time, there does come times when one person needs to talk and everyone else needs to shut up and listen. realistically this will only happen if you have the authority that comes with being the boss.
The authority has to be backed up with actions on the field though.:nailbiting:

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2012
christchurch
Kinda funny how ever since Hoffman signed with the club, on this forum he's had people in his corner saying he should be given the captaincy. Then the 9s happened and his value has been questioned on here. And only now does he get the captaincy lol

• Haha
Reactions: Defence

Zarjaz

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Melbourne
Defo a bit of a shock but no one can blame him for wanting/needing a change… Thinking back to the press conferences when they were on the losing runs, the dude looked absolutely broken, you could see he took every loss to heart. Hell, if his enjoyment of the game improves through this, then all for the better…No doubt the team will reap the rewards of a mentally refreshed Mannering.

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Just reading the comments from Cappy about having a discussion with him at the end of last season/start of pre-season, Shauny J's total surprise, and Hoff quickly accepting the captaincy tells me that this has been planned for some time. I don't think it was a matter of Mannering thinking about it during the off season/pre-season, and then coming to a decision today. This has management written all over it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that he might have been pushed a little, for his own good.

Slash Razor

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2012
hes a club legend he wasnt pushed, he just had enough all the crap that went with being Captain and I say good on him, I think he realized the place probably needed a refresh, new start and that was his opportunity to get out... you could tell he was tired after last season and the burden he had to bare, hes still a leader with the utmost respect from everyone at the club, the only one that pushed him was himself... Im happy for the Hoff to take the reins for a couple of seasons, like others I think its to early for Shaun Johnson.

Reactions: glory_hog and Juju

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Didn't see this coming at all.

But good on Captain Mannering if he wasn't enjoying the gig. He sure looked a depressed mofo at the press conferences after the run of losses last season.

Can't question his place in the team. But plenty don't like the silent follow me type of captain that he is. Maybe Hoffman will be a more vocal captain. You would like to think that they have had discussions with Hoffman about not leaving at the end of this season. 3 captains in 3 seasons can't be good for the team!

Far Away Fan

Can't say I'm shocked that Mannering has stood down, he never looked comfortable in the role even if he had respect from players.

Hoffman was doing a lot of talking behind the sticks, so this could be a defining moment in our season IMO

This is the crux of it for me. Mannering - great, great player though he is...the team needed and will always need more than leading by example.

Assuming Hoffman's appointment means that he is happy in Auckland and is 100% fit etc, then he's the right man for the job. There's no question about that. His seniority and achievements command respect, he has total commitment and he talks to the young guys on the field when they need it.

I'd say our chances for 2016 have just gone up several notches.

Stay fit, Hoff!

Reactions: gREVUS

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Like it or not this is a Polynesian club and Polynesians follow leaders who lead by example from the front. IMO that is why Ivan Cleary appointed Mannering. He is one of the most respected players in the NRL

The buggers got what they wanted, couldn't get a more "lead by example" type than Mannering, yet still trained and played like half arsed tosses for the last 4 seasons.....

....I jest only slightly of course. Hopefully most people understand by now leadership (and results)in a footy club isn't determined just by the guy with the (c) next to his name. 4 coaches in 4 seasons, a recruitment officer with a hard on for everything English but in reality very little pull, a CEO great at selling jerseys but not much else, and 2 squabbling owners?
While the results under his watch were poor Juju really didn't have much support or stability around him and was let down badly by those above. Its a testament to him that he dug in and tried to be the anchor in the storm. Obviously it's taken its toll on him though. I don't think we'll see a different Mannering on the park, he just plays to the same standard day in day out regardless of the situation. Inside though he'll just be a lot happier....and he deserves it.

Hoffman for mine is just keeping the seat warm for Shaun Johnson

Bluecat again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 30, 2012
Sad to see Simon Mannering step down. Yes it's probably time and good on him for going but I would have liked to have seen him doing lots of happy post match interviews before he went. Especially the Grand Final one. Thank you Simon for the last few years.

Reactions: Warrior482

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings