General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
I personally don't mind being yelled at. I would rather a coach give it to me bluntly than sugar coat things but not everyone is like that. History tells us the Warriors have not been a roster that has enjoyed that style of leadership - think Daniel Anderson, Steve Price etc. The roster is what it is - they need a captain that will bring the best out of them and if the players don't like being yelled at they need to find a leader that understands that. The other alternative was to clean out the players and bring in players that don't mind that style. Maybe that has been the case since Pricey left but i doubt it somehow.

It may be a case of somewhere between those two options. Perhaps the club culture needs to be a bit 'tougher' from the ground up, so when these guys first have any dealings with the organisation it's less cuddles and more accountability/tough love. Two coaches who seem to get the best out of their players in recent times with this approach, in Hasler and Bellamy, not only give their players a spray when it's required but empower the senior guys deliver it as needed. It's like anything in life I guess, set the expectation and don't waver, after a while it just becomes part of the culture rather than an unexpected slap in the face.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
There are many different types of leadership.
I seriously doubt that Mannering stepping down as captain will reduce his leadership to this squad.
All the info from within the team suggests he leads by example. I can't see that changing and may even earn himself more respect and become a more important leader than he ever was as captain.

ramraider78

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2012
Auckland , New Zealand
Well I hope the posters that called for Mannering's head for the last few seasons are happy now ;). If the media release is on point I credit him for standing down without being pushed - time for him to enjoy his footy and concentrate on helping us win. I feel for him cause of all the scrutiny he had over the last few seasons under different coaches we had - those guys in front office had a lot to answer for IMO happy most of that lot are gone now.

I'm a fan of Hoffman and the experience he brings , logical choice IMO - just look at his achievements and it speaks for itself. My only negative with him was his commitment to origin , time to let go of his rep duties as well IMO focus his energy on helping us win on the field. The rumors of Hoffman being disgruntled have to be hot air cause like other posters ,there's no way the club or more importantly JD give him captaincy if he didn't want to stay.

Shaun Johnson doesn't need the vice captaincy IMO like others on here he already has an important role to fulfill. Luke is a natural choice at vice but I also lean to letting him concentrating on helping us win on the field, no added pressures for this season at least.

I'm not looking to far into the future for captaincy just this season and the next with the gun roster we have.

Mike

Waterboy
Mar 17, 2014
Luke, Johnson, TL could all fill in for Hoffa around origin time if it comes to that. Just not a repeat of Manu’s captaincy reign please.

Hoffman would do a better job of being outraged at referees, simon just shakes his head wearily, so the fans get that at least.

Got to admire the lack of ego, now the club has (maybe) turned the corner, simon hands over the gig.

We've now got the 'hard nosed Aussie leadership mate', it'll turn back to 'only a kiwi can lead us' soon enough if its not a winning campaign.

Well about bloody time!

A hard nosed Aussie bruiser about to be let loose. Warriors beware, especially the coasters in the side who don't really care about winning. Because this is what its all about. Creating a winning culture with dedicated players ready to graft together to get a result. The only reservations I have is, We do not have mongrel forwards ready to steam roller the opposition. Our team is light on forward aggression with too many nice types and in my belief built too much on the light physical side. The sooner we get a brace of replacement 18 stone plus wreaking machines the sooner we will be a force. The current big names gained for the squad are just that big names yet to prove anything at the club. Unfortunately I do not see any improvement in results for this season until the team balance is put right and at the moment its not a complete combination of good backs and intimidating forwards to win a competition. And on a brief note the current coach has not done a single thing to create the culture needed to turn the tide for me he needs to go now!

Reactions: OMG and Johnnyray

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
As for comparisons with Steve Price he was an unpopular captain, although his professional performance was without peer. I hope Hoffman is different to him.
i thought price was very popular on the field it was just off the field due to age difference and different interests in life. am i missing something?

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...n-mannerings-call-to-walk-away-from-captaincy

Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson admits he was shocked to hear his good friend Simon Mannering was stepping down as the captain of the side.

The 25-year-old, who completed a successful comeback at the Auckland Nines two weeks ago, said he understood the reasons behind Mannering's decision as he led the team to only nine wins from 24 games in the late season slide of 2015 to finish 13th.

Mannering, the longest serving skipper in the club's history at six seasons, passes the captain's arm-band to fellow second rower Ryan Hoffman who becomes the club's 10th skipper.

"It is a bit of a shock," Johnson told the media. "But we will get out here [on the training field] and it is a title essentially. I know Hoffy isn't going to change who he is as a player."

Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei knows that it wasn't an easy decision for Mannering who has played for the club 236 times.

"I know it was hard for him and hard for the boys to take in but we have got to do what is best for Simon and he is keen to do what is best for the team," he said. "We need to respect that."

He said Mannering was a player the team looked up to and his work ethic and consistency was something that his team mates strived for.

Johnson believed it was the run of losses and the ongoing spotlight off the field from the media which played the biggest role in his decision.

"It is clear that some of the off the field stuff is where it took its toll on Juey [Mannering's nickname is Juju] and as a player and as a friend you don't want to see that happen. We just want him back playing footy.We respect Juey's decision understand why and excited for Hoff and going to get in behind him."

Vatuvei added: "You could tell as a good friend and as a player it took a toll on Simon, but he is one of those players who would do anything for the jersey and for the team. that is why we respect so much and on this decision. He has go to look after himself."

Johnson, the Warriors mercurial playmaker, said he was keen to put his hand up to be captain of the side, but just not yet.

"I definitely don't think I am ready for anything like that at this stage. I like to think of myself as a leader. Whether that is with the captaincy next to my name or as the halfback of the side I am forced to be a leader in this side and that is what I am going to do."

While Vatuvei when asked what was bad about the captaincy role replied "everything" with a big golden toothy grin.

"The pressure not just on the field but off the field as well. It is not for me. I'd rather just play my game and lead from there."

Vatuvei believed that Mannering could have a new lease of life at the Warriors without that constant pressure.

"There are lots of little things [with Simon] that people never see and the players only see every week and they are the kind of things that helped us know he was one of the best leaders in the team. Even though he is not the captain he has said that he will do exactly the same thing every week. He will enjoy it this time."

The pair said that life at the Warriors wasn't go to be too different with a new voice calling the shots.

Hoffman was already part of the leadership group and not shy in sharing his opinion.

Johnson said Mannering and Hoffman have got their different styles, but as a group the Warriors have values in place that set the benchmark for the team.

"Hoff has already told us as a group that that is not going to change with those standards. We will carry on what Juey has put in place. I have 100 percent confidence that Hoffy will push this team in the right direction, as a player that is all you can ask."

Johnson, who said his ankle was fine after starring in the Nines, paid tribute to Mannering, who he has grown up playing rugby league alongside.

"Juey's best attribute was the fact that he led by example. He didn't necessarily say too much but quite often he was the example used in the video room. He is a special player and a good friend. We have a big season ahead of us that I know he is looking forward to getting into."

Mannering will captain the Warriors one final time when they play against the St George Dragons in a preseason game in his hometown at Nelson's Trafalgar Park on February 20.

Reactions: OMG

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Still been trying (without any success) to get info from within the camp so instead turned to a coach from the Auckland Club scene who, over the years, has picked a number of captains at different grades right through to Fox and asked him who he thought the other candidates would have been. Here’s a summary of what he thought:

ThomasL – injured too often. Doesn't think he'll be at the club for too much longer.

Henry – he couldn’t see a player who is “best suited as a bench utility” getting the role. He would need to have a year with little time off for injury and earn permanent place in the back row before he should be considered. As a side note, he wondered if Benry would ever be more than injury cover or a bench utility as he didn’t think he offered enough on attack.

Johnson – To young and still learning his role – definitely matured but felt there was more to go and could see him getting the role in a few years’ time.

Luke – Likes him and thinks that he could have the role now except he’s only just arrived in the club.

The other name he mentioned was Manu who he said would be great at say the Nines (but won’t get picked because of his age) or a one off “festival”/Barbarians type game because of the way he’s looked up too within the squad but is not the type of guy to lead the team through an NRL season.

He thought Hoff was a good “interim” choice before it’s given to either Shaun Johnson or Bully. He hadn't heard that Hoff wasn't happy here but hoped the captaincy would "change that attitude".

Tedster

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 29, 2014
Personally I am happy to have Hoffman as captain, i like his professional attitude and think it will bring positives to the team on the field. After listening to a bit of Mannering speaking on the radio I can totally understand why he is standing down especially now he has a young family and for me he is always one of my first picks for the team. :)

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Hoff is only going to be around for another year, given his age and contract. I'm not sure Bully is captaincy material after speaking to some of the former players he's played with (too jokey). Shauny J is a good pick, maybe when Hoff steps down.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Hoff is only going to be around for another year, given his age and contract. I'm not sure Bully is captaincy material after speaking to some of the former players he's played with (too jokey). Shauny J is a good pick, maybe when Hoff steps down.
Hoffman is contracted to the end of 2017 so he should have at least two seasons.

Rotang

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 13, 2015
Brisbane
Well done Mannering for your time captaining the club. I am looking forward to the Hard nosed Aussie Hoffman approach. I agree he'll kick up another gear, and hope the boys really get behind him!

The start of the season will tell us. As we know, if the boys don't succeed, this is going to bite us in the arse hard. We'll have the 'Kiwi needs to lead us', 'players don't support Hoffman' comments coming out.

We have to crush the first few games, play well at home, get massive support (when even your union obsessed parents start saying they are Warriors fans) and BE CONSISTENT. So ya see, its easy really.

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Whangarei
After six years of fronting up to the media to discuss repeated failures from coaches and team-mates, six years of leading a bunch of boy-men who barely seem to give a shit about training when you train and play to the highest degree of professionalism yourself must have utterly done Mannering's head in. I'm amazed that the man has retained any sanity.

I'm an unashamed fanboi of Mannering, and believe he will go down as one of the greatest players we've ever produced. I say "we", but to be honest he's produced himself, and that's what sets him apart from the weakminded riffraff like Inu that we've had to endure at the Warriors.

I am both gutted and happy over his decision; not sold on Hoffman, thought it may have Luke, to be honest. One thing's certain though... Our family nickname for Mannering has been "Captain" since the second time he ran out on the paddock in a Warriors jersey, and he'll always be Captain to us.

Jordan G

I agree with those who said that Mannering just never took to the spotlight and being in front of the camera as the captain. I have a feeling he may have stepped down earlier if it wasn't for the fact that we just didn't have a strong enough leadership group to carry on without him. Now we have Hoffman, Shaun Johnson and matulino coming of age, Luke, Lillyman, even guys like Robson/Ayshford who may or may not be in first grade all the time but can provide leadership off it. Simon can continue to lead through actions but leave the extra stuff to someone more comfortable with it who has a strong leadership core (Mannering included) around him.

The pressure isn't just on Mannering alone and letting go of the captaincy will allow him to do what he does best. Not that there was a drop off in his performance last year. Total professional.

Reactions: snake77 and tajhay

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
After watching that video interview with Shaun Johnson I cannot believe how confident and well spoken he is and I'm sure he will be a great Captain in a couple of years.
Yep agreed. Very well spoken, and i think having the nines captaincy has done wonders for him.Very thoughtful in what he says and says exactly what is needed to be said. Great future leader in the making.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Thank god! Not because I think Mannering is/was a poor captain but because you could easily see the weight of captaincy of the team slowly eating away at him. Some after match press conferences he just looked like he was completely over the whole thing - the captaincy, the team, the game. I am glad he has handed it over and hopefully he can now focus on being what he has been, our best player on the field. I hope he gets some renewed joy out of playing the game. I also hope that this actually has a positive effect on the team as well. I hope they all look at themselves and go 'shit, we caused this because we didnt perform and make his life as captain easier. time to pull finger'.

Captaining a side can be a really enjoyable one when you have a good culture and a good team with other leaders in it.

It can and must have been complete shit with what he was working with at times.

I think that Hoffman is a good choice and I look forward to him calling it as it is. I don't think he will make the difference though unless the cultural change that JD is trying to inact actually beds in. This may be another piece of that puzzle.

Thanks Simon for the tireless efforts as captain. I hope you have a great season and that you play well, enjoy it and sleep better without the burden you previously had.

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2014
Thank god! Not because I think Mannering is/was a poor captain but because you could easily see the weight of captaincy of the team slowly eating away at him. Some after match press conferences he just looked like he was completely over the whole thing - the captaincy, the team, the game. I am glad he has handed it over and hopefully he can now focus on being what he has been, our best player on the field. I hope he gets some renewed joy out of playing the game. I also hope that this actually has a positive effect on the team as well. I hope they all look at themselves and go 'shit, we caused this because we didnt perform and make his life as captain easier. time to pull finger'.

Captaining a side can be a really enjoyable one when you have a good culture and a good team with other leaders in it.

It can and must have been complete shit with what he was working with at times.

I think that Hoffman is a good choice and I look forward to him calling it as it is. I don't think he will make the difference though unless the cultural change that JD is trying to inact actually beds in. This may be another piece of that puzzle.

Thanks Simon for the tireless efforts as captain. I hope you have a great season and that you play well, enjoy it and sleep better without the burden you previously had.

THIS.

Reactions: Johnnyray

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012
stupid_boy_by_thomassmurffan-d5l9k4k.png

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player