General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
I know at face value Foran might seem like a bad idea as captain. But sometimes natural leaders are even better when they have been down for the count and are trying to get back up.

Reactions: ramps

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
I know at face value Foran might seem like a bad idea as captain. But sometimes natural leaders are even better when they have been down for the count and are trying to get back up.
Maybe if he'd signed a longer contract but even then I'd rather he did his talking on the field and left the stuff Mannering found distasteful to someone happy with a microphone stuck in their face.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Maybe if he'd signed a longer contract but even then I'd rather he did his talking on the field and left the stuff Mannering found distasteful to someone happy with a microphone stuck in their face.
I agree, but if all goes well JD will table another contract and captaincy maybe more than deserved but the icing that clinches Foran for a longer term and a better shot at a title... if all goes well

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
Sometimes I think all we need is one year. One year where everybody buys in. One year when everybody realises they will all be nobodies in 10 years with big regrets unless they win a premiership. One year where they admit that winning the NRL takes more than they are currently giving to win. One year where they admit that if a team of many rejects like the Sharks can win, then what's our excuse. If Foran delivered that for one year, then who cares if he buggers off after that.

Maybe we will never be a Storm, winning year in and out. Just make us proud for one year boys. I promise to treat anything else as a bonus.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I thought about Foran. He's a natural leader. It would mean he also spends more time in Australia to see his kids. Thing is Im not sure the extra pressure on him is a good idea. Part of the reason he is coming to NZ is to get away from the intense Sydney media and that would undoubtedly be part of the Warriors case for having him registered...

Reactions: bruce

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
I thought about Foran. He's a natural leader. It would mean he also spends more time in Australia to see his kids. Thing is Im not sure the extra pressure on him is a good idea. Part of the reason he is coming to NZ is to get away from the intense Sydney media and that would undoubtedly be part of the Warriors case for having him registered...
True. Ultimately if Foran wanted it, give it too him. If he needed arm twisting, then maybe not. Personally, I think Hoffman did OK, especially considering he clearly had no idea the extent to which being Warriors captain is akin to being thrown under the bus. The fact he still wants the job speaks a lot to his character.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
What's the job of captain really.

After match grilling by the media? Mid week grilling by the media?

Mannering lead by example on the field which he still does now, so that was pretty much his job as captain.

I'm happy to give Hoffman another go round as the media punching bag.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I can see a co-captaincy with Hoffman and Shaun Johnson. No one else really jumps out, Foran has too much uncertainty about him at this stage.

The only other one is Luke, I don't know whether he has the communication skills. That is not meant to be disparaging, some people are not a natural fit as Captain.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I think the on field captaincy is not that important especially with an assistant coach coming on every 3 minutes to have a word, apart from managing the ref there's not too much else to it.

It's more about the leadership group as a whole and what standards they are trying to set for the team as a whole.

I have a dislike for Ennis but he certainly added a lot of leadership to that sharks team something we haven't got out of Luke yet for example.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I think the on field captaincy is not that important especially with an assistant coach coming on every 3 minutes to have a word, apart from managing the ref there's not too much else to it.

It's more about the leadership group as a whole and what standards they are trying to set for the team as a whole.

I have a dislike for Ennis but he certainly added a lot of leadership to that sharks team something we haven't got out of Luke yet for example.
Agree, Sharks had a few leader types , Galen, Dennis, Maloney, Lewis.
We haven't really got anyone like that, Simon Leads by example but nobody is following, Shaun Johnson yells but nobody is listening, Hoffman seems angry and sulky but not a guy who can inspire the boys to back him. Those three could be part of a leadership group and probably a good one but we need The Leader.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Agree, Sharks had a few leader types , Galen, Dennis, Maloney, Lewis.
We haven't really got anyone like that, Simon Leads by example but nobody is following, Shaun Johnson yells but nobody is listening, Hoffman seems angry and sulky but not a guy who can inspire the boys to back him. Those three could be part of a leadership group and probably a good one but we need The Leader.
Therein lies the rub. Some of the team don't seem to want to follow the leaders. If they don't sort that they are dreaming. JD and SK will have thought about it for sure.

Salatape

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
It's up to our best players to step up and set an example. Mannering, Luke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Johnson, Foran (if he signs) etc need to be the first ones in the gym and the last ones out. Can't have a key signing like Luke come in overweight and totally unprepared to start the season. What kind of example does that set for the youngsters? Absolutely shocking.

Hopefully Kearney is on their asses 24/7 as well. Everyone needs to be held to the same standards and if anyone isn't up to them then they should dropped until they are no matter what their name is or how much they're earning.

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
A
It's up to our best players to step up and set an example. Mannering, Luke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Johnson, Foran (if he signs) etc need to be the first ones in the gym and the last ones out. Can't have a key signing like Luke come in overweight and totally unprepared to start the season. What kind of example does that set for the youngsters? Absolutely shocking.

Hopefully Kearney is on their asses 24/7 as well. Everyone needs to be held to the same standards and if anyone isn't up to them then they should dropped until they are no matter what their name is or how much they're earning.
Agree the senior players have to step up.
On a bus Melbourne to Canberra then heading back to PNG.
So a bit of time to contemplate the Warriors.
Went to NZ for a week and seemed to rain all the time.
The Warriors should put a team in the Queensland cup maybe have them stay out of the main City of Brisbane they would get good support from expat Kiwis and get s chance to play in a tough competition

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
My opinion he has been a failure to the club as a player and as a captain.

I want to release him. Get some genuine size Prop and one more athletic Storm style forward.

I would give it to Shaun Johnson and Bunty Afoa, simply because Shaun Johnson when he truely returns to playing well is our best player and hes always the most gutted at losing and Bunty gets my vote because in 2 games he showed me he had more passion for winning and putting his body on the line than any other player in a decade. Of course Im not serious we give Bunty captaincy but we need more players like him, Mannering, Jordan Rapana sorts. The types who play 110% EVERY game

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
They'll give Hoffman one more year as captain, and then release him and his expired contract. My thinking is that Shauny J needs to be the co-captain to get him ready for 2018 when Hoffman leaves.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
They'll give Hoffman one more year as captain, and then release him and his expired contract. My thinking is that Shauny J needs to be the co-captain to get him ready for 2018 when Hoffman leaves.
Yep, smart move. But proviso Shaun needs to pull his finger out or imo we should release him for big dollars to buy the props we need and give some of the younger halves who actually put 110% in every game a go.

Reactions: diehard

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings