General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
With SK taking over as head coach what's the likelihood of Hoffman retaining his post as Captain? I get the feeling Kearney will want a kiwi captain who knows the players, club and country well and I think Hoffman is on his last legs and could do without the added pressure.

If it were up to me Hoffman would lose the captaincy to one/two of Johnson, Luke or Matulino (assuming Mannering doesn't want the job back). I know it's a bit risky with these players, and their performances haven't warranted it but I really think it can bring the best out of each of them. Johnson especially, I think having the C next to this name would give him the confidence to demand what he wants from his team.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
With SK taking over as head coach what's the likelihood of Hoffman retaining his post as Captain? I get the feeling Kearney will want a kiwi captain who knows the players, club and country well and I think Hoffman is on his last legs and could do without the added pressure.

If it were up to me Hoffman would lose the captaincy to one/two of Johnson, Luke or Matulino (assuming Mannering doesn't want the job back). I know it's a bit risky with these players, and their performances haven't warranted it but I really think it can bring the best out of each of them. Johnson especially, I think having the C next to this name would give him the confidence to demand what he wants from his team.

Can see them going to co-captains, Hoffman because they don’t want to embarrass a senior player by stripping him and he’s a solid communicator to the refs and media.

And whoever Kearney has his eye on for next year, Johnson or Luke as you say, then when Hoffman leaves, promote one of the younger forwards to the other co-captain spot.

Mannering won’t want to do it again and Matulino is about as vocal as a plank of wood.

No shortage of options that Kearney has confidence in when you consider we have 3 kiwi captains
Who? Please, not Luke. Mannering is over it. Kearney won't get rid of Hoffman after only one year. Continuity, remember. That leaves Shauny J as co-captain with Hoffman. Shauny J will be the captain once Hoffman (hopefully) leaves at the end of his contract next year.

Reactions: bruce
Who? Please, not Luke. Mannering is over it. Kearney won't get rid of Hoffman after only one year. Continuity, remember. That leaves Shauny J as co-captain with Hoffman. Shauny J will be the captain once Hoffman (hopefully) leaves at the end of his contract next year.

Would be Mannering, Luke and Foran? Johnson would be good. But that's a lot to take on I know Thurston does it but Directing, Goal Kicking and Captaincy I dunno if he can take the pressure. If Luke did the kicking full time that would take some pressure off Johnson.

I'm willing to bet that Kearny and Hoffman probably have a really good working relationship from their time at the Storm (another bonus of having Kearny come on as coach), and I seriously can't see Kearny dropping him from the captaincy. If anything, I could see him going the co-captains route with an eye towards the year after.

I cringe every time someone mentions Matulino as captaincy material.

Could be just the change the guy needs, might put some fire in his belly if he's seen publicly as one of the on-field leaders. Wouldn't really need to communicate alot, just lead with his actions like Matt Scott at North Queensland. Mannering's getting older and it's about time a new forward leader established them self. Also wouldn't mind Thompson in this role, guy's been one of our best players since he showed up.

Hoffman is the right choice for 2017, his last season at the Warriors. Foran is the smokey if his contract is registered, definitely VC material. Yeah Johnson is an option, but he thrives in a good team and doesn't need captaincy to run the plays.

What really matters is we become a winning team, the coach will be the one who makes the difference.

Reactions: Sup42 and tajhay
I know some of the best halves in the game have also had the C next to their name, but if Hoffman is still in the starting 13 next season he keeps the captaincy. This gives SK time to really bed in too see if the supposed deadwood is really dead and needs replacing or can revived/modified and given a new lease on life.
I know don't see what happens during preseason etc but giving the captaincy to someone who underperformed this year (looking at Luke, Matulino, Shaun Johnson) sends the wrong message.
For 2018 I could see any of those 3 taking the C but I want them to earn it, want it, covet it and not land the role by default,on 2016 form none of them deserve it. All 3 should be leaders anyway but the trick is to get them all singing from the same page so until one of them stands up Hoffman as the incumbent keeps the job.

Reactions: Tragic
There is this thought that making a player Captain will improve their game.

That thinking is flawed on a number of levels.

What you have to remember is that this is a job....a very highly stressed job...with lots of leadership intricacies to learn.

Best Case scenario you are made captain of a successful NRL team with lots of senior players in it. A bit Like Mannerings role for the Kiwis.

The Machine runs itself....you are a claytons model of a Captain.

This works because you can focus on your own game (which is why Mannering made Captain, to model his own game...he is not the sort to go beyound that and player coach/direct on field) in a fantasy world of bygone era being made Captain helps inspire you like some kind of reward (international Captaincy doesn't involve a year of stress.)

The Warriors Captaincy is not a reward.

It is a shit job no one wants to add to their work situation.

You don't get paid extra.

You take your work life home.

You have to stick up for the Coach who appointed you in a dressing room full of doubters.

Fans seem to be under some illusion that the sheriffs badge at the Warriors is some kind of reward.

Fuck that.

It's a fkn nightmare and will fk with your game on field....ten times the work for no extra dollar.

The Warriors Captaincy reminds me a lot of the lower management roles in me own work....

Only egotist or people at end of their careers needing job security need apply.

The Warriors were very lucky to have a personanity like Mannering shoulder the burden for them....it is nothing more than a fkn horrible burden....a burden that literally made Mannering ill.

Wish away all you want....but be mindful you are wishing upon good people a curse.

Last edited:

What you have to remember is that this is a job....a very highly stressed job...with lots of leadership intricacies to learn.

Best Case scenario you are made captain of a successful NRL team with lots of senior players in it. A bit Like Mannerings role for the Kiwis.

This works because you can focus on your own game and being made Captain helps inspire you like some kind of reward that doesn't involve a year of stress.

You have to stick up for the Coach who appointed you in a dressing room full of doubters.

Fans seem to be under some illusion that the sheriffs badge at the Warriors is some kind of reward.

Fuck that.

It's a fkn nightmare and will fk with your game on field....ten times the work for no extra dollar.

The Warriors Captaincy reminds me a lot of the lower management roles in me own work....

The Warriors were very lucky to have a personanity like Mannering shoulder the burden for them....it is nothing more than a fkn horrible burden....a burden that literally made Mannering ill.

Wish away all you want....but be mindful you are wishing upon good people a curse.
Dude was going to say that's a bit harsh,but then looked back at our past captains and it doesn't make for pretty reading Price is possibly the only one who wanted and made a success of role . Campion and Jones made a pretty good fist of it but I wonder if Jones enjoyed the extra burden.

Reactions: bruce

This works because you can focus on your own game (which is why Mannering made Captain, to model his own game...he is not the sort to go beyound that and player coach/direct on field) in a fantasy world of bygone era being made Captain helps inspire you like some kind of reward (international Captaincy doesn't involve a year of stress.)

Fuck that.

So if it's a shit job, why not give it to a loyal guy who under-performs as punishment. Jonathan Wright maybe?

• Haha
Reactions: bruce and kabkram
Dude was going to say that's a bit harsh,but then looked back at our past captains and it doesn't make for pretty reading Price is possibly the only one who wanted and made a success of role . Campion and Jones made a pretty good fist of it but I wonder if Jones enjoyed the extra burden.
My posting style is aimed at getting discussion going, stiring the pot, without trolling.

Its meant to be harsh.

Hard hitting and most of all questioning the status quo.

On this point of Captaincy however....I am in boots and all on what I said.

Now there's a good call. He'd shake things up and rally the troops when the chips were down. Natural leader, inspirational contributions - all we need now is the right VC for a dream ticket. Charlie Gubb?

So if it's a shit job, why not give it to a loyal guy who under-performs as punishment. Jonathan Wright maybe?
You could take a step back and rather than be a smart arse.....imagine if you had to front the media on Monday for these cu**s dropped balls (metaphor and literal).

Would making excuses for the five seasons of dissapointments put you in the mood to crack a funny about jono Wright or anyone ?

Would it make you look forward to work at weeks start ?

Would it make you more likely to enjoy your time off?

Now sonny Jim....explain to me why Shaun Johnson or any poor cu** needs this shit in their lives to improve the way they play ?

( that was rhetorical, Im not expecting an essay lol....not having a go at you personally bro).

I await your reply and any other forum scholar on the attraction of the Captaincy at a club that court marshalls its leaders.

Being Captain of the Warriors is likely akin to being coach.

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Fully expect that Stephen Kearney will review the captaincy and make that known to players. He has to. Its his team and he has to be seen to be taking charge of it. That being said I doubt he moves away from Ryan Hoffman. The one and only exception would be if Mooks can somehow convince Simon Mannering to take back the role. That would be the only candidate that I see Hoffman happily stepping aside for.

Apart from those two I really dont see anyone else as suitable...