General Rumour!! Renee Ranger has signed for Warriors

Jesbass_old

How good is Abercrombie keep reading them JB the political intrigue starts to come into play more and more brilliant books...

Stephen Donaldson - 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Unbeliever' are brilliant too

To be completely honest, a couple of sentences have been structured in an ever so slightly odd way, which has distracted me to a minute degree...but overall, it has hit the ground running and I'm looking forward to meeting more characters and encountering more plot.

brightman_old

Once the new TV deal is in place i can see there will be a few union players coming over.

Yeah i also reckon a few will be keeping an eye on how that unfolds, perhaps Ranger will beat them too it.
Add to that the success of Hurrell, Slaimankel and Collier(ex AGS 1st XV) crossing over and NZ league is making good progress

Last edited by a moderator:

Shuffle_old

Bizarre times. Just heard another rumour that the titans are chasing cronk with 3.2 million deal ( 800k a year). So while players are mucking around with a club that's so broke it can't almost afford airfares, everyone's trying to get the deal of the century. Maybe that's the attraction to someone like Ranger. He's almost unpolluted as far as NRL negotiations.

I guess Cooper Cronk will be playing all positions next year.

Moz_old

Bizarre times. Just heard another rumour that the titans are chasing cronk with 3.2 million deal ( 800k a year). So while players are mucking around with a club that's so broke it can't almost afford airfares, everyone's trying to get the deal of the century. Maybe that's the attraction to someone like Ranger. He's almost unpolluted as far as NRL negotiations.

Was in Mondays SMH they've tabled the offer but Melbourne are hoping Titans current financial plight will make cronk think twice and turn it down. They also said Broncos whose club generates two million dollar profit annually were only prepared to offer Cronk $450,000 PA, so were asking why a financially stricken club would offer way over that, especially after just signing Taylor. Storm manager may give Cronk deadline next weds to re-sign with storm hoping to force his hand by not allowing him time to see how Titans financial situation plays out

Last edited by a moderator:

Buck777_old

The only negative I can see about Renee coming to the Warriors is that he has a fairly serious court case coming up in August for allegedly beating up a guy in Mangawhai which could generate bad press for both the Warriors and himself

crump81_old

given the warriors history of signing 'ex allblacks' or 'rugby greats' why do i feel this would not be worth the cash?

Raurimu Massive_old

lol true. I hope Raurimu Massive could shed some light on this. I would be shocked if he hasnt actually played a league game. Because hes league league league, theres really nothing union about him.

I'm unsure to tell the truth! He's from the Warkworth/Wellsford area and got picked for the Northland squad when he was quite young (19), so I'm guessing his pedigree is purely Union. When he first started out with the Taniwha he very much had the 'kid running around with his mates' approach to the game, so I guess that's dictated his style a fair bit. I know that coaches early on struggled to get him to that stop using that purely natural style out of his head in order to concentrate on the neverending rugby tactics.

Raurimu Massive_old

The only negative I can see about Renee coming to the Warriors is that he has a fairly serious court case coming up in August for allegedly beating up a guy in Mangawhai which could generate bad press for both the Warriors and himself

There's something really dodgey about this court case mate - it's about three years since the incident took place. I think the cops were even considering diversion at first, so it can't be all that serious an assault. From what I gather (which could be complete bollocks, sorry), the incident was instigated by someone else and he over-reacted when he gave him a bit of a twack. He did try for name suppression at first, and that did lead to some delays obviously, but dunno if that'd set a trial back three damn years.

Buck777_old

There's something really dodgey about this court case mate - it's about three years since the incident took place. I think the cops were even considering diversion at first, so it can't be all that serious an assault. From what I gather (which could be complete bollocks, sorry), the incident was instigated by someone else and he over-reacted when he gave him a bit of a twack. He did try for name suppression at first, and that did lead to some delays obviously, but dunno if that'd set a trial back three damn years.

Yeah, actually I cant talk. Almost got into the same situation at the same pub, over a warriors game that some navy boys kept changing the channel back to union! Luckily my wife was with me and being the only mature person there calmed the situation down lol.

mtdcaeks_old

Jesbass you are just droll.

Ranger would be a godsend. He would be Toopi v2.0.

Someone compared him with Hurrell. Sorry, Hurrell at the moment just runs at people because that's what he has always done. Ranger knows about space.

Someone compared him to Manu and said Manu couldn't score that try at 2.45 in the vid. I agree with that person. The problem with Manu is he doesn't have speed anymore. Ranger has speed.

Ranger can offload, can shrug off tackles, can pass, can chip chase. Those haters, stop looking at him as a boof-head rugby player, but look at him as a class athlete.

Blues have always made dumb decisions by putting him on the wing, when his best position was centre. They always try to put Benson Stanley in the centres.

I hope this rumour is true.

this^^

Rene Ranger would be the BOSS league player

facefacts_old

There's a big difference in style between Ranger and Hurrell from what I've seen - me and the family have gone to nearly every Northland Rugby home game for the past 12-13 years so I have been lucky enough to have seen a hell of a lot of his style, right from when he was young. Got a great eye for a gap, and like someone here mentioned, he seems to glide his way through.

He's got the chance to make a great centre for the Warriors, if the rumours are true; I don't think the transition would take him long to get on top of. On the other hand, although I don't really care about the ABs or Blues missing out on his talent, it will be a huge blow for Northland rugby, who always struggle to retain whatever talent they develop.

Whats your opinion of his defense, is he a smart defender?

The last thing we need is another outside back, that cant make a read to save themselves.

d13_old

I hope these rumours prove to be correct it would be an epic signing Ranger's the real deal IMO,for those that take no interest in union or may not have seen the man in action this guy is a league player all over he's staunch won't back down,aggressive,x-factor,great balance,power fend,big hitter,timing on defense,distribution,try scorer etc...the full package & skill set required for NRL he could play centres,wing or fullback at a pinch,maybe even loosie

whitts15_old

I am personally a big fan of recuiting from within however the depth in the centre/wing position is just not there at the Warriors.

We have Krisnan - daylight - then the next best which would probs be Sio Siua
Taukeiaho as the Vulcans are quite weak there to.

In terms of Wingers maybe Peace (not a big fan) then not much else. On a side not i think Ngataua Hukatai is going to be a really good winger - check him out.

So to me Ranger would be a great signing, really quick and strong.

I have seen him play union quite abit and he makes good reads and his one on one defensive game is really tight.

So i really hope its true.

boats n hoes_old

Yeah has some good skillz about him that should translate well to the 13 man game. Would need to get fitter but i'm sure the trainers would take care of that.

Havent seen enough of his defence (apart from he's capable 1 on 1) to judge but as facefacts said, another outside back with poor defensive reads would be sucky.

The winger from Hurricanes - Julian Savea? Looks a league player in waiting for mine.

Fazz_old

Worse case scenario we'd get some massive publicity (probably better ratings on tv with union fans either curious or wanting to see him fail too)

Jimi Jones_old

He is definatly worth a crack.an would be exciting to watch.I lived in Mangowai years ago nothing wrong with a bit of push an shove at the pub up that way.Hope he cracked a Jaffa they used to clog up the roads.in our nice quiet town.It would be good to see a true northlander in the team