General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

bruce

Contributor

Geoff Public

Contributor
Timespanner, a Facebook page, puts up old Archives NZ photos of Auckland. Here's Carlaw Park, 1966.
FB_IMG_1654977638982.jpg

Imagine if this had been done right, boutique inner city ground, with a pup on the corner.

Apparently there was a football ground a bit closer to grafton bridge also? I had read arsenal toured and played there.
Correct.That ground was mainly soccer.Called Blandford Park.
My uncle took me to see a game there once between a local team & an English team.iirc.

Imagine if this had been done right, boutique inner city ground, with a pup on the corner.

Apparently there was a football ground a bit closer to grafton bridge also? I had read arsenal toured and played there.
There was. I went there as a little kid. It was called Blamford Park if I remember right.

• Love
Reactions: bruce
My uncle took me to see a game there once between a local team & an English team.iirc.
Sorry JN, my computer hadn't updated and I didn't see your reply. It was a soccer ground. I was at that game too I think, huge crowd.
Newmarket Park was another good ground until it fell into the gully. Those national league games in the early-mid 70's would get 10000 spectators to watch the likes of Blockhouse Bay, Eastern Suburbs and Mt Wellington play each other. Plenty of ten pound poms back then.

Reactions: Juju and bruce
Sorry JN, my computer hadn't updated and I didn't see your reply. It was a soccer ground. I was at that game too I think, huge crowd.
Newmarket Park was another good ground until it fell into the gully. Those national league games in the early-mid 70's would get 10000 spectators to watch the likes of Blockhouse Bay, Eastern Suburbs and Mt Wellington play each other. Plenty of ten pound poms back then.
Cheers mate. I seem to remember the name Finney was the pommie soccer player that my uncle took me to watch particularly

Reactions: dean

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
Blandford Park existed until 1964 before soccer moved to Newmarket Park

When Tottenham Hotspur toured in 1976 they played a FA XI at Newmaket Park - if I recall correctly they won 5-3.
It was the start of my "love affair" with the Spurs

According to Wikipedia Blandford Park
Located in Grafton Gully, northeast of Grafton Bridge, roughly between the northern part of Whitaker Place and the Auckland Bowls Club in Grafton Mews, it was razed in the mid-1960s, and its site is now occupied by on- and off-ramps to the Auckland Central Motorway Junction

bruce

Contributor
Timespanner, a Facebook page, puts up old Archives NZ photos of Auckland. Here's Carlaw Park, 1966.
View attachment 47420
Excuse me while I weep with nostalgia. Fark Eric Watson, I hope the FBI put him in Rikers Island.

Blandford Park is in the pic just to the top of Stanley Street on the right. but the stands must have been removed. They moved football to Newmarket Park about this time.

I went to Blandford Park once. I couldn't understand anybody, they all tarked foony!! Great atmosphere though, Poms know how to enjoy their sport live.

Newmarket Park was a disaster. It was on a bloody cliff and the council acted surprised when it fell off!!!

Reactions: Juju and dean

bruce

Contributor
I saw him play when I was a kid. Heyzeuss they had some players back then. Imagine Barrow winning the Challenge Cup now. Those wonderful days are gone.

Reactions: Tim burgess
I saw him play when I was a kid. Heyzeuss they had some players back then. Imagine Barrow winning the Challenge Cup now. Those wonderful days are gone.
I remember Barrow in the 80s they had David Cairns, Steve Tickle, was it Ian Ball and Eddy Szymala (spelling correct) he was hard as nails and had arms like Popeye.

They use to play in packed stadiums. In those days trips to Cumbria were tough games.

bruce

Contributor
I remember Barrow in the 80s they had David Cairns, Steve Tickle, was it Ian Ball and Eddy Szymala (spelling correct) he was hard as nails and had arms like Popeye.

They use to play in packed stadiums. In those days trips to Cumbria were tough games.
Stop it...I need more tissues :(