General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

tajhay

🏉
Thanks to Eric Watson, we don't have it anymore:(:(
Eric Watson and not ARL? Could you please explain how Eric Watson is to blame for all the mismanagement at ARL? They would have to be the most inept sporting body in NZ (probably alongside NZRL).

Reactions: 1 user
Don't remember Joe Louis fighting there.
He was long before I was watching fights
My typo - Joe Frazier fought an exhibition in the 70s at Carlaw.

Muhammad Ali fought an exhibition at Western Springs in 1979 (I have the program & ticket)

My typo - Joe Frazier fought an exhibition in the 70s at Carlaw.

Muhammad Ali fought an exhibition at Western Springs in 1979 (I have the program & ticket)
I remember watching a few fights at Carlaw Park in those days.
A lot of fighters were travelling down from the States to fight our guys & some good P.I. guys.
A few of the yank heavy weights could not afford to bring sparring partners with them.
When they wanted a sparring partner most times the got a local hardman Bill Woolsley(Sonny Bills grandfather )who also played to an old age for City-Newton.Trying to recall some names.
Halifihi,Betham, Lave,.hope someone can help me with a few names.
You guys are probably too young to recall.
A few more names from that era: Don Mullet ,Chub Keith,Don Cockell

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

bruce

Contributor
Eric Watson and not ARL? Could you please explain how Eric Watson is to blame for all the mismanagement at ARL? They would have to be the most inept sporting body in NZ (probably alongside NZRL).
As I have posted...many times...it was Eric Watson, as owner of the Warriors, who took the deal with the ARC to move or club to MSS.

Heyzeuss spare, he was a genuine hard bastard.

He was Monty Betham, I don't know if he is related to our Monty, but he was a hell of a fighter.
Monty Betham was the father of the Warrior Monty Betham and had over 50 pro fights as a middleweight and lightheavyweight I think.
My rememberance of him was he was lightning fast.
Re Bill Woolsey I played many games against him.
At least once they had Bill and Tiger Collecutt in their senior team.
No Marquess of Queensbury rules to be polite

He was a hard bastard as well...top wrestler
Yeah mate I know. The Collecutt family lived 2 doors away from us in Mt Roskill.
Gary (Tiger) Brian and Peter.
Brian was probably the best player but never went on with the game.
At different times they managed the Sheralee in Custom St.and the Pink Pussycat in K Rd.
Really good guys and characters 👌
Brian went on to manage the White Horse Inn in Pakuranga.
Previously had the pub on Great South Rd Penrose. Cannot remember the name but lots of freezing workers drank there. Tough joint

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A lot of fighters were travelling down from the States to fight our guys & some good P.I. guys.
A few of the yank heavy weights could not afford to bring sparring partners with them.
When they wanted a sparring partner most times the got a local hardman Bill Woolsley(Sonny Bills grandfather )who also played to an old age for City-Newton.Trying to recall some names.
Tuna Scanlan, Earl Nukora

Was a guard at Mount Eden prison
Amazing how when I see these names memories come flooding back. I remember playing against a very good boxer in a 7 aside comp in Rotorua many years ago.
Kahu Mahunga playing for Ngongataha and all the other players were Orchards.
Also played with Billy Opetaia at Point.

If it’s the same Don Cockell he fought Marciano in a world title fight. Quite well known in British boxing circles, from London I think

Reactions: 1 users