General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
They were not any different before origin. Actually the Sydney powerbrokers didn't even want SOO. The Winfield Cup was the center of the universe.

Not sure if I totally agree as the Kangaroo tours to England and France were rated very highly by RL people in AUST.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Not sure if I totally agree as the Kangaroo tours to England and France were rated very highly by RL people in AUST.
The Kangaroo tours were but not international matches in general. The actual name Kangaroo was only supposed to be somebody who had been on a tour to GB or played a test against them at home.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
In Bruce and JN's day they used to throw them out of the ambulance and run them over a few times on the way to Greenlane to make sure they're not just snowflakes calling a waambulance
I have to say the Zambucks (St John) volunteers were great guys.

They were unpaid and went to the games in their uniforms, with peaked cap, and gumboots. Sure they were not modern physios but I was always glad they were there.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Not sure where to put this,should be of interest Bruce and Young Nick.
Rumour has it the man who was shot dead in Otahuhu the other day was Peter Rasmusson ex Otahuhu,and known as the minder of Mark Graham when he started out his senior football career.
Sadly I remember him. Didn't know him personally but played against him

Reactions: Dave Brough

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 24, 2014
Sadly I remember him. Didn't know him personally but played against him
Played against him and Peter McNabb as schoolboys,them for Otahuhu and myself Ellerslie.We all went to Otahuhu college together ,and later on I played seniors for MtWellington against their Otahuhu team.
Source of this news were ex workmates of Peter from Auckland Meat processors where he had worked as a boss in the stockyards in his later years

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Played against him and Peter McNabb as schoolboys,them for Otahuhu and myself Ellerslie.We all went to Otahuhu college together ,and later on I played seniors for MtWellington against their Otahuhu team.
Source of this news were ex workmates of Peter from Auckland Meat processors where he had worked as a boss in the stockyards in his later years
Thanks mate. I got to speak after games with Wally Green and of course Bunna and locked horns with Simon Yates regularly

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 24, 2014
Probably 1969

Attachments

• 20210823_203849.jpg
    20210823_203849.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 21

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Not sure where to put this,should be of interest Bruce and Young Nick.
Rumour has it the man who was shot dead in Otahuhu the other day was Peter Rasmusson ex Otahuhu,and known as the minder of Mark Graham when he started out his senior football career.
Tragic news. I played against him. Good honest player.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Probably 1969
That must have been 1971 or earlier. Eddie Heatley got signed by the North Sydney after they thrashed the Kangaroos 24-3 at Carlaw...50 years ago.
Peter Gurnick was another good player
Peter Gurnick was absolute class. Heyzeuss spare me if he was in the Warriors squad he would still be a rock star.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
That must have been 1971 or earlier. Eddie Heatley got signed by the North Sydney after they thrashed the Kangaroos 24-3 at Carlaw...50 years ago.

Peter Gurnick was absolute class. Heyzeuss spare me if he was in the Warriors squad he would still be a rock star.
Bit of a character also as I remember. Nick Wright was another. Could tell you some yarns about him

Reactions: dean

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I have to say the Zambucks (St John) volunteers were great guys.

They were unpaid and went to the games in their uniforms, with peaked cap, and gumboots. Sure they were not modern physios but I was always glad they were there.
yuup, always saw one at Carlaw park, known as "benny hill" in our household, looked exactly like him.

• Love

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player