Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Also interesting to hear that the Warriors accept some families want to move to Australia off their childrens talents. That tells me we need a war chest mentality that wraps around whole families to out compete the Aussie clubs (he mentions Manly and the Roosters as having infrastructure the Warriors are aware of already embedded in NZ).
I can't recall the figures that were quoted. But I remember listening to a radio interview around the amount of talent leaving New Zealand for Australia. It was pretty staggering.

Not all would make it obliviously. Sure some would return a lot end up staying over there. If they continue playing it improves the depth in the grades over there.

There were also comments on the parents seeing it as an opportunity to head over as well. Either to help support their child or get better opportunities themselves. The clubs over there would likely help find something for a few of them. Either directly or via a sponsor or a supporter.

We hear from the union side about the number of players poached to go overseas. The youngsters heading over to NRL clubs should be a concern for union as well as league in New Zealand.

As much as we transition to a development club we will lose players to Australia as some parents will also see it as an opportunity for themselves as well.

The Warriors might not be able to compete overall. It might be a case by case basis. For the players from rural New Zealand they can sell the advantage of their son still being reasonably close to home.

Good move by Jett. Gets out from under big brother and dads shadow. Prove he has earned it not just cause dad coaches the first team. Gets to experience living in his home country. Be part of the warriors culture and learn under Webster, Jones, Johnson. Ultimately if he is good enough and wants it enough there is a 7 spot that is going to be available in 2-3 seasons.

Good move by Jett. Gets out from under big brother and dads shadow. Prove he has earned it not just cause dad coaches the first team. Gets to experience living in his home country. Be part of the warriors culture and learn under Webster, Jones, Johnson. Ultimately if he is good enough and wants it enough there is a 7 spot that is going to be available in 2-3 seasons.

Penrith do not lose in this deal and you sense he goes with their blessing.

To allow a player to leave an unnaturally pressurised setup through no fault of his own speaks volumes of them as a club. You think Cronulla would do that??

Now he's paying 1.08 at the moment to head back over at some stage, potentially as the replacement to Nathan with Ivan still coach - you know that will happen.

I see this more as a massive positive indicator about the pathways program that is being developed. Luke Hansen and younger Egan already here must have given a very glowing review of what to expect.

I remember Ivan interview was that when he went to the Tigers was the best that could happen to Nathan. If Ivan had debuted Nathan people would have said xyz but because it was Anthony Griffin who said he was ready.

Jett would have no loyalties to NZ in my mind but would have come because Ivan said it would be good for him but also putting my tinfoil hat on, was Webby had to do this to get JFH.

Hopefully not. Nathan said when he was growing up he wanted to play for the Warriors. Maybe he does this in a few years with his brother. Maybe Ivan signs as Webbys assistant!

I remember Ivan interview was that when he went to the Tigers was the best that could happen to Nathan. If Ivan had debuted Nathan people would have said xyz but because it was Anthony Griffin who said he was ready.

Jett would have no loyalties to NZ in my mind but would have come because Ivan said it would be good for him but also putting my tinfoil hat on, was Webby had to do this to get JFH.

Hopefully not. Nathan said when he was growing up he wanted to play for the Warriors. Maybe he does this in a few years with his brother. Maybe Ivan signs as Webbys assistant!
More likely as Head of Football or something similar to John Hart

NRL 2024 Market Watch: Jett Cleary, younger brother of Nathan, signs with Warriors​

The younger brother of Panthers superstar Nathan Cleary has inked a multi-year deal with an NRL rival. See the latest NRL transfer news.
David Riccio and Fatima Kdouh

3 min read
April 24, 2024 - 2:11PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

17 comments

Jett Cleary playing for Penrith’s SG Ball side this year. Picture: Warren Gannon Photography.

Jett Cleary playing for Penrith’s SG Ball side this year. Picture: Warren Gannon Photography.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Penrith prodigy Jett Cleary has signed a multi-year deal with the Warriors.
The younger brother of Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary has made the move in a bid to aid his development and ambition to play first grade.
Born in New Zealand when his father Ivan was coaching the Warriors, the 19-year-old is currently playing in the Panthers SG Ball side.
“It’s an exciting time for us to be able to bring a player of Jett’s quality into our pathways system from next season,” Warriors CEO Cameron George said.
“The Cleary family has the strongest links with our club through Ivan’s time with us and it’s a special thrill to sign Jett and have the Cleary name back with us.
“We’re again truly grateful for the cooperation from Penrith and Ivan in helping to make this possible.”
Despite the departure of Jarome Luai to the Wests Tigers next year, Penrith have no shortage of halves in the club with Jack Cole, Brad Schneider and Daine Laurie within their ranks.
Jett Cleary NSWRL Junior Reps, SG Ball Cup round four, Sydney Roosters vs Penrith Panthers at Henson Park, 24 February 2024 Picture: Warren Gannon Photography.

Jett Cleary NSWRL Junior Reps, SG Ball Cup round four, Sydney Roosters vs Penrith Panthers at Henson Park, 24 February 2024 Picture: Warren Gannon Photography.
The Warriors are also well equipped in the halves, however Shaun Johnson remains unsigned for 2025.
Warriors general manager recruitment, pathways and development Andrew McFadden said the club was excited to help development the talented youngster.
“Jett has a big future in front of him and we’re excited to give him the chance to develop in our system,” McFadden said.
“While he was only young when he left New Zealand to go back to Australia, Jett has the benefit of strong family ties with the club and with Auckland as well.
‘He brings wonderful pedigree with him as well as a great understanding of the game after coming through Penrith’s fantastic pathways.”
Shaun Johnson remains unsigned for 2025. Picture: Getty Images

Shaun Johnson remains unsigned for 2025. Picture: Getty Images

CHEESE ACTIVATES CLAUSE

Star hooker Brandon Smith has triggered a clause in his Sydney Roosters contract.
Smith’s contract situation had gone mostly under the radar before this masthead revealed the Roosters rake had an option in his deal for 2025, with a May 31 deadline.
The player option gave Smith the power to test the market this year but the former Melbourne no.9 has triggered that clause, which will keep him at the Bondi club until the end of 2025.
“Yeah, he took up his option maybe a week or two ago,” Roosters coach Trent Robinson revealed on Wednesday.
“So I’m not sure when that was completely decided. It might have been by the end of May.
“Brandon will be with us next year.”
Brandon Smith has extended his stay at the Roosters, after activating a clause in his favour for the 2025 season. Picture: NRL Photos

Brandon Smith has extended his stay at the Roosters, after activating a clause in his favour for the 2025 season. Picture: NRL Photos

SLOAN DEAL CLOSE

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has backed off-contract fullback Tyrell Sloan as the club’s long-term option in the No.1 jumper.
Sloan is unsigned for next season and talks between the club and his management are ongoing but have become protracted.
“We’re endeavouring to keep Sloany,” Flanagan said.
“We’re in discussions with his management company. It hasn’t been quick, but we would like to think that gets done.
“We want to keep Tyrell and he wants to stay, it’s a matter of coming to some sort of agreement.”
Tyrell Sloan remains unsigned for 2025, but Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has backed him as the club’s long term fullback. Picture: Getty Images

Tyrell Sloan remains unsigned for 2025, but Dragons coach Shane Flanagan has backed him as the club’s long term fullback. Picture: Getty Images
Flanagan has a salary cap war chest at his disposal and now has an extra $1.6 million to take to market after star outside back Zac Lomax was granted a release to join Parramatta.
The Dragons coach has made no secret of his desire to poach Dally M rookie of the year Sunia Turuva from reigning premiers Penrith.
Turuva is also without a deal for 2025 and while he has excelled on the wing for the Panthers he has a desire to play at fullback, where he came through in the juniors.
But Sloan’s impressive form to start 2024 has been enough for Flanagan to back the 21-year old in the fullback position into the future.
“Tyrell is 21, and the Turuva bit, he could be at Penrith, so there is no use talking about it,” Flanagan said.

More Coverage​

‘Corporal punishment’: Bulldogs player takes team to court
NRL Market Watch: Boom Cowboy defects to Dolphins
“Tyrell was outstanding for us last week. He’s 21 years of age. He’s got a big future. He wants to stay here and we want to keep him.
“The development of Tyrell over this year and next year, hopefully he is the long-term fullback for the club.
“Because they’re hard to find in any of those key positions, so he’s on the right track.”

Jett is here to develop thats all. His brother will go England as girlfriend there. She professional soccer player he linked to Wigan. He will replace him we just making him a player as they penrith have better.

Jett is here to develop thats all. His brother will go England as girlfriend there. She professional soccer player he linked to Wigan. He will replace him we just making him a player as they penrith have better.
Why wouldn't they just do that in their own systems if that's the plan, he won't be playing first grade any sooner here will he?

Last edited:
You're kinda killing the vibe of Ivan building a new dynasty here, who says Jett doesn't wants to be the next SJ. Anyway Ivan made his career at the Warriors, we gave him his shot to make any of this possible, he owes us his second born son.
Sorry think he here to learn, take his brothers spot when goes to England. She is a good looking lady.