• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F---

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand you are right interpreting the rules.
In Lussicks favour. Not late other than perhaps slow motion. Not intentional in my view. Lussick is not airborne.
I suspect Lussick will get a heavy suspension based largely on the resulting injury and that he is a Warrior.
Potentially a lengthy suspension has a big impact on us if Egan gets injured or even suspended. For that reason alone we should defend his case.
I believe he will be suspended for 6 weeks purely because of the injury.

Taylan May should have got a similar penalty for what he did to Reece Walsh which had more carelessness and put the player out for weeks.

The NRL are just so blatantly bias, inconsistent and stupid that it defies logic when it comes to charging players and then the outcomes.

I believe he will be suspended for 6 weeks purely because of the injury.

Taylan May should have got a similar penalty for what he did to Reece Walsh which had more carelessness and put the player out for weeks.

The NRL are just so blatantly bias, inconsistent and stupid that it defies logic when it comes to charging players and then the outcomes.
where do you draw the line between freak accident and being careless/ forceful or whatever the language they want to use.

I get really worried that we will be going down an avenue where you see players on the ground acting and rolling around like they have a broken kneecap, or they have done an ACL to get a penalty or send off or get someone suspended.

also where do you draw the line on putting a player in a dangerous position?

It will always surprise me how the NRL is still in business with how useless they are in terms of everything

With Freddy's case IMO objectively speaking the kicker was late getting the kick away (thus I think Webby said he thought he's gonna get charged down or something in the presser) and because he was late Freddy was able to get so close to the ball and I'm not sure but he did charge the ball down? Along with the kicker's leg? 🤣

You see so many kicks in union and league where the kick was rushed that the kicker got the ball away and rebounded his leg off the tackler, SJ might have done it a few times too but now he's better at skipping away for the kick

The difference here is Freddy went for the ball instead of making himself big and aim to block the trajectory of the ball like a goalkeeper, and ideally jump semi vertically to achieve that

He lunged forward at the ball in a way you do when you're far away from the kicker and diving for the block, which connected ball and leg, I think usually you aim for the upper body or bear hug them or jump directly up but he used the O button on Xbox and dived forward and connected everything, unfortunately a leg was broken as a result

So in summary he needed to jump up or dive from a diagonal angle sliding away from the foot for a proper charge down, instead of diving directly forward. They'll probably give him 8 weeks

As for the kickers SJ probably have the best idea if you're late either pass, skip away for the kick or just take the tackle as you'll be in a vulnerable position and it's not worth risking your body

As for if Mitchell did this and broke SJ, I'll put it down as unfortunate because this is really a split second thing and not many people get to charge at such a late kick in a game 6 point behind with 20 seconds to play, will be mad for our season but won't be anything like the elbow or tipping he did especially if he broke our key players that way

NRL will make an example but our players need to be doing little moves to protect themselves, the Souths kicker is young so he rushed it and IMO he'll probably start kicking like SJ and more experienced players for protection, no point arguing about it after an injury has occurred, protect yourself first, kinda like turning right in intersections, don't take the incoming cars' indicators for granted, wait for them to actually turn left before you go forward

Rant over

Last edited:
Taking nothing away from that well executed ruck trick shot, but a team with good ruck and marker defence should shut that down.......u can damn well bet Manly will be going over that move with a fine tooth comb making sure their D around the marker is tight......but if Webby's the kind of coach i think he is thats where u have a variation of the move up your sleeve...an add on...."you've seen my Kung Fu now try my Kung Pow"!!!
Yes that's what manly should do. But whoever they commit to Egan's job is to pick the right runner be that Tohu or SJ in that example

Looking at the NRL's own definitions he has a case to answer in some respects and a good case to argue against it for other points.

Unfortunately, it resulted in an injury, one that will keep Ilias out for a while. Some of the suspensions being suggested are close to what the injured player could be out for.

It also does come across like there is an injury so they are finding a punishment first instead of looking at the crime and working from there. I've seen comments on different sites that don't match what happened.

Late contact with kickers

It will be conduct in breach of the rules where, in the course of a charge-down (or an attempted) of a kick in the course of play or placing pressure in the kicker, the defending player makes dangerous contact with the kicking player. The special duty which is imposed on players to avoid dangerous contact to an opposing player is particularly important where a kicking player is in a position of physical vulnerability. Such vulnerability will arise where, at the time of the contact the kicking player is in the act of kicking the ball and has either one or both feet off the ground or where he is otherwise off balance.

Physical vulnerability. It meets that criteria.
He is in the act of kicking the ball with a foot off the ground (the one Lussick hit). The still shots would confirm if he is off the ground or not. So definitely off balance.

What are the key indicators of this charge?

One possible indicator of an offence of dangerous contact arising from contact with a kicker is where the contact is impermissibly late, and/or not directed at the football, or in other words, where it is clear that the charging player was never likely actually to stop the ball being kicked away and just aimed to make contact with the kicker whilst he was off balance or was otherwise vulnerable.

In this context, the contact will be deemed to be impermissibly late, and therefore dangerous, where the charging player makes contact when the kicker is not in possession of the ball, that is, after the ball has left the kicking player’s foot.

Other possible indicators of such an offence are where in attempting to charge down a kick, the charging player throws himself in front of the kicker, or at the kicker’s leg

impermissibly late - It probably doesn't meet that criteria being it is at the exact time.
Not directed at the football - It would be tough for the NRL to argue that point as he is pretty close to the ball.
Clear he was never going to stop him kicking it. Doubtful.
Just aimed to make contact when he was vulnerable. They would need to argue intent and wouldn't be able to prove this looking at the incident.

The last two lines you could argue against due to when it happened. He didn't throw himself at the kicker like Price used to do or a lot of the instances where the kicker is well up in there air and pushed over.

This incident does meet the last line which is written for specific incidents.

Sorry if already posted or its in the wrong place.
Lussick looking at 6-8 weeks.
Absolute bs imo, and still pissed about the other player not getting charged at all last year when tmm broke his leg.
Bullshit. The idiots can’t even mention the hat he’s charged with…

CHT -> Walker -> Jazz as hooker backups

Probably can afford to have Walker as utility if other bench forwards are going well

I've changed my tune on Souths over the weekend. They were good we were just fantastic. Why am I saying that?

I've seen a lot of the different podcasts going on about Egan's dummy half work and CNK and Harris running great lines for that one play.

Denan Kemp had a good point. It was a play that is designed to take out the defence. It doesn't work if the defence isn't doing their assignments. If it's a lazy defensive team our runners end up hitting a guy that isn't supposed to be there.

Or maybe that play broke the camels rabbits back?

I've changed my tune on Souths over the weekend. They were good we were just fantastic. Why am I saying that?

I've seen a lot of the different podcasts going on about Egan's dummy half work and CNK and Harris running great lines for that one play.

Denan Kemp had a good point. It was a play that is designed to take out the defence. It doesn't work if the defence isn't doing their assignments. If it's a lazy defensive team our runners end up hitting a guy that isn't supposed to be there.

Or maybe that play broke the camels rabbits back?
Interesting, and incredible if true. It seems Webby somehow knows more about every player in the comp than they do themselves, even ones he's never met, he also knows their defence structures better than them, and exactly how to exploit them if they're defending well. How does he know all this?

I thought Mitchell definitely should have been charged for the lifting tackle on Tohu. He lifted him up beyond the horizontal and let him go. Admittedly not a spear tackle as he did not drive him into the ground but definitely dangerous. It was the other Souths player that lowered him to the ground. People do silly things in the heat of the moment Mitchell is different he acts impulvsively and shows a lack of care.

I've changed my tune on Souths over the weekend. They were good we were just fantastic.
They weren't good. Didn't put enough pressure on us in attack, completed at less than 70%, bombed a couple of tries,.

We were good for a lot of the game and our shape and execution was great at times. But we have the gameplan and team to get to fantastic which is exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back