Internationals Rugby League World Cup

does anyone know when the teams will be announced. usually they are out by now....atleast 19/20 member squad. we haven't even had that this week

KIWIS (probable): Kevin Locke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Dean Whare, Bryson Goodwin, Jason Nightingale, Kieran Foran, Shaun Johnson, Jared Waerea Hargreaves, Issac Luke, Jesse Bromwich, Frank Pritchard, Sonny Bill Williams, Simon Mannering. Interchange: Sam Kasiano, Ben Matulino, Frank Paul Nu'uausala and Elijah Taylor[DOUBLEPOST=1385060025][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't reckon Taylor is as bad as a few make out

He's a good back rower. Despite me saying that, he's probably the worst back-rower in our squad. That's not a criticism, the depth we have in the back row is awesome. He's not a good dummy half replacement (IMO). Hoffman or Locke would be better uses on the bench (fully agree with you there). I'd rather see Eastwood or Glenn given that bench spot than Taylor tbh. They bring more to the team. Glenn could probably play dummy half as well as Taylor (faster, better acceleration, better hands)...

Reactions: surfin and Sup42
what is exciting is that we are debating about who is going miss out and it is not around favourites. We have a seriously strong squad of 24 players.
And also some of the key positions we are not debating who should be playing totally out of position like we use to do with finding a partner for Stacey Jones.

I can live with Taylor coming on for dummy half cover in this game if we get the game locked up and it is a case of saving Luke for the final.

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
There are players to sign up from the WC that the Warriors could snap up

USA's Mark Offerdahl ( 26 yo prop , was oustanding )

Unfortunately the Warriors and other potentially interested parties have been pipped by Rugby League Giants " The North Wales Crusaders "

Maybe next time

Ha. I just read an article on foxsports.com where apparently they select their combined NZ/OZ team. The joke is that Issac Luke misses out to not only Cam Smith but DCE swell. Here is the team and here is the quote:
AUS/NZ TEAM:

1. Billy Slater

2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

3. Greg Inglis

4. Jarryd Hayne

5. Darius Boyd

6. Johnathan Thurston

7. Shaun Johnson

8. Matt Scott

9. Cameron Smith

10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

11. Sonny Bill Williams

12. Greg Bird

13. Paul Gallen

INTERCHANGE

14. Daly Cherry-Evans

15. Ben Matulino

16. Andrew Fifita

17. Jesse Bromwich

"Issac Luke was unlucky not to find a place on our bench, however, with Daly Cherry-Evans being the talk of the competition, the Kiwi hooker was a notable omission."

Hahaha bloomin Aussie media. I'm pretty sure Tim Sheens himself said Luke has been the player of the tournament so far. And Hayne? Puh-lease. 4 tries against USA is nothing, I thought Whare has been pretty consistently better..... Anyone else think Mutts is lucky to get in there?

'Teary' Sonny Bill scoops top award
Updated11:30 AM Thursday Nov 28, 2013
amedia.nzherald.co.nz_webcontent_image_jpg_201346_188113772_300x200.jpg

Sonny Bill Williams. Photo / Getty Images
Dual international Sonny Bill Williams received an impromptu haka performance from his New Zealand teammates after being crowned the world's best rugby league player.

Williams capped his spectacular return to the code by taking out the Rugby League International Federation player of the year in Manchester on Wednesday night, beating out fellow nominees Kangaroos star Greg Inglis and Scotland playmaker Danny Brough.

Williams said he felt shocked and "teary'' as his teammates rose and performed the haka while he was on still stage after receiving the award. The 28-year-old dedicated the honour to them.

"I wouldn't say I was a world star but I've been very blessed to have been in quite a few amazing teams with some amazing players and amazing coaches,'' Williams said.

"It's just been a blessed year, thank God.

"I accept this award on behalf of my teammates that have put me in a position to play well, coaches and of course my family.''

Williams helped the Sydney Roosters to the NRL premiership after returning to the code following five years in rugby union, during which he played 19 Tests for the All Blacks.

He has also been in devastating form at the World Cup and will hope to follow up the award with victory in Saturday's final against Australia at Old Trafford.

In taking out the gong, Williams broke an Australian stranglehold on the honour with Billy Slater (2008, 2011), Jarryd Hayne (2009), Todd Carney (2010) and Cameron Smith (2012) previous winners since it was established six years ago.

Williams was one three Kiwis named in the team of the year at a ceremony at The Lowry Hotel in Manchester, along with winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and hooker Issac Luke.

Inglis was named at fullback in the side, while Manly's Clive Churchill medallist Daly Cherry-Evans was named halfback of the year.

Sea Eagles centre Jamie Lyon and Brisbane veteran Corey Parker were the other Australians in the side.

South Sydney and England front rower George Burgess beat out Sydney Roosters backrower Boyd Cordner to be named rookie of the year while older brother Sam was best prop.

Super League player of the year Brough was the five-eighth of the year.

Trent Robinson was awarded coach of the year after guiding the Roosters to the NRL title in his first season in charge.

- AAP

SBW was quoted recently that he's found the love for rugby league again. A lot of his actions recently point to this as well; he seemed emotional after the Grand Final and after the semi-final against England. Pretty much every interview he has had during the world cup he has raved about Kieran Foran and how competitive he is and how much he pushes him. Hoprfully he plays the Anzac test so he gets one more game with the guys he's just spent two monts bonding with in the UK.

I don't mind him heading back to rugby after 2014 as it is better than the 1 year it looked like we may have got and his future for the next 3 years is mapped out so we no longer get the annual circus. It is starting to seem like he is going to find it harder to walk away from league than he would of 12 months ago.

Hopefully this game is getting the press in deserves in the UK. Interesting it is an afternoon game; it will provide a unique atmosphere and it's going to be good to see a big game played during the day for a change. Hopefully we prove Phil Gould wrong as last time we played them during the day he wouldn't stop with how unstoppable they are on a dry track.

SBW was quoted recently that he's found the love for rugby league again. A lot of his actions recently point to this as well; he seemed emotional after the Grand Final and after the semi-final against England. Pretty much every interview he has had during the world cup he has raved about Kieran Foran and how competitive he is and how much he pushes him. Hoprfully he plays the Anzac test so he gets one more game with the guys he's just spent two monts bonding with in the UK.

I don't mind him heading back to rugby after 2014 as it is better than the 1 year it looked like we may have got and his future for the next 3 years is mapped out so we no longer get the annual circus. It is starting to seem like he is going to find it harder to walk away from league than he would of 12 months ago.

Hopefully this game is getting the press in deserves in the UK. Interesting it is an afternoon game; it will provide a unique atmosphere and it's going to be good to see a big game played during the day for a change. Hopefully we prove Phil Gould wrong as last time we played them during the day he wouldn't stop with how unstoppable they are on a dry track.
The surface at Wembly looked immaculate but a few players slipped over I noticed, it may just be one of those things. A dry track suits us just as well of course we play in Aussie lol Phil Gould is full of it hey.....kinda glad we don't have nine to listen to with Voss being superior in every way ( used to be fond of Rabs etc ). I expect when Aussie are up in the game Gould will slip in a few " Origins " .

Just have to block Daryl out and pretend it's the Whine of Bus tires going past outside....just one of those intermittent distractions.

Is it me or does Voss have a man crush on Roger Tuivasa-Sheck ?

The surface at Wembly looked immaculate but a few players slipped over I noticed, it may just be one of those things. A dry track suits us just as well of course we play in Aussie lol Phil Gould is full of it hey.....kinda glad we don't have nine to listen to with Voss being superior in every way ( used to be fond of Rabs etc ). I expect when Aussie are up in the game Gould will slip in a few " Origins " .

Just have to block Daryl out and pretend it's the Whine of Bus tires going past outside....just one of those intermittent distractions.

Is it me or does Voss have a man crush on Roger Tuivasa-Sheck ?

I wouldn't call it a crush, as much as I think he wants to have his babies.

Reactions: Sup42
I wonder how much of an influence Tim Sheen's has on his squad? I mean obviously he will have a fair bit being Head Coach but he's got plenty of experience in his squad and they all bring their preferences and skill sets with them. Kearney & Co seem to have developed 'Camp Believer' while over in Blighty and imho that and the 2 point win in the semi's will probably mean the Kiwi's are more likely to follow the game plan to the letter - not much chance of jungle footy there? Every chance of it with the Aussies? I'm really looking forward to the game, like everyone else. Imo it will be like watching a 2005/2013 NRL Grand Final mash up if reports of Tim Sheen's smaller, mobile team are true (I haven't looked at their final team but see that Slater is playing) and the Kiwi's go with size and a strong defensive. Everyones gonna be buggered by the end of it, its gonna be epic

I wanna send all the Warriors players to Camp Believer - three times a year. Twice during the holidays

Nope, 'monstrous' and 'mobile' is just media nonsense again. I think theres two players in the Kiwi's team that have a few kilos on everyone else and that's it. Otherwise it seems fairly even.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42
I wonder how much of an influence Tim Sheen's has on his squad? I mean obviously he will have a fair bit being Head Coach but he's got plenty of experience in his squad and they all bring their preferences and skill sets with them. Kearney & Co seem to have developed 'Camp Believer' while over in Blighty and imho that and the 2 point win in the semi's will probably mean the Kiwi's are more likely to follow the game plan to the letter - not much chance of jungle footy there? Every chance of it with the Aussies? I'm really looking forward to the game, like everyone else. Imo it will be like watching a 2005/2013 NRL Grand Final mash up if reports of Tim Sheen's smaller, mobile team are true (I haven't looked at their final team but see that Slater is playing) and the Kiwi's go with size and a strong defensive. Everyones gonna be buggered by the end of it, its gonna be epic
Listening to Tim Sheen's philosophy on International coaching is interesting , he recons there is only time to work on the best defensive performance /combinations in a tournament and rely on the players having the class to do the rest ( makes a lot of sense with Sheens roster and fits in with what you said).
Our squads on the other hand need lots of time to work out both D and attack hey ( again I see Cleary's inclusion as critical in saving reinventing the wheel for many )....the Kiwis look to have gone for a structured team without Marshall in there and they look sharp because of it....like you say probably not a lot of jungle ball....those Aussies always surprise with the amount of offloading and secound phase they achieve against NZ....it''s like they pinch our playing style and use it against us.
Glad they don't have Daren Lokyer and a young B. Tate combo to lay on the opening Try. \

Reactions: snake77
Rugby league World Cup 2017 winning bid will be announced tomorrow at 6pm

It's between the joint NZ OZ bid and the South African Bid

I hope the Africans win it

Reactions: gREVUS
Rugby league World Cup 2017 winning bid will be announced tomorrow at 6pm

It's between the joint NZ OZ bid and the South African Bid

I hope the Africans win it
Surely you have to have a team to host the cup. If South Africa were in the last world cup then I'd be happy to go there otherwise this should really be a one horse race.

I know South Africa want the competition as they see it as a boost to their economy but they have never recognised rugby league as a sport. That should be the first provision they need to do before even applying to host the event.

Not to sure how well the NZ games would be attended. Hopefully with the 9's being hosted here each year the game gets a boost like it did during the 90's.

I know South Africa want the competition as they see it as a boost to their economy but they have never recognised rugby league as a sport. That should be the first provision they need to do before even applying to host the event.

Not to sure how well the NZ games would be attended. Hopefully with the 9's being hosted here each year the game gets a boost like it did during the 90's.
It looks like we are in the dawn of the Eighties / nineties epoch for Rugby league in NZ.

That's a good analogy , the feeling at Eden Park was like those Bulldog V manly games at Carlaw and there were a lot of happy white faces in the crowd which is a demographic shift back to that era before they gave up on Errikson Stadium and left it to the " Faithful ( which as best I can gather after all these years is a collection of brown families and some HARD CORE white folk of the purist League persuasion.....all related to the Mad Butcher )

The nines was worth the amount of money you spent , I think that's key , and it gave people an out from the woes of the Warriors.

Things would be looking good for a world cup......

But six bad men took sleeping pills and pissed on the sport.

Surely you have to have a team to host the cup. If South Africa were in the last world cup then I'd be happy to go there otherwise this should really be a one horse race.
I'd agree with you both if it weren't for one thing

The reason SA don't have rugby league is Apartheid

Now the Black fellahs are running the shop it would be too narrow a view to not let them expose it to their population.

If the Blacks decided they wanted to play this " Not Rugby " sport then that would be worth it.

Reactions: gREVUS
I wasn't meaning to stir the racial pot with South Africa and any Anti Union Sentiment....sort of...

SA Rugby league have been trying to get the game going in the universities over there and it's not about color.

Check out the state of SA Rugby league in this video ( gotta love the guy reading the Questions from a pad )

These Yarpie Old boys need help ! ( Japies ) from Plaasyapies ( means farm boy ) 20th century slang for Ignorant rural Farmers.

Last edited:
South Africa have had a rugby league team for many years. They first played in 1962/63, but didn't play internationally again until 1992. They took part in the 1995 and 2000 World Cups. Their team is the Rhinos and they have a smallish national competition.

The World Cup bid will naturally be to try to grow the game faster over there.

If it is a choice of a joint hosting with us and Oz, which would probably be mainly in Australia and Auckland or a South African hosted cup, then I am all for SA getting it. But if the cup gets a few games around the country (even if only minor teams) then bring it here. England/Wales used some tiny run down stadiums for some of the games, even making Aussie play at a stadium where half the grandstands were condemned. Send a game to Invercargill or Dunedin, and I'm there.