Internationals Rugby League World Cup

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
I read an article the other day from a UK paper. The writer was commenting on Samoa's submission of 26 players on their roster instead of 24, whether it was a mistake or the Samoan team meant to do that. He went to on to say (in so many words) why not? Why can't the "smaller" nations have more players available at the tournament, I completely agree. In my opinion the world cup is a show piece for rugby league to encourage greater participation in the sport itself. I think the comp can be a bit more flexible as long as everyone agrees to it, regarding registrations and player numbers and so forth. I thought about which nation needs to win it the most. England - their local comp could use a win, NZ - could definitely use a win, Australia - yeah they always need a win. To keep the NRL pumping, competitive with the AFL and now soccer. The NRL is important to all competing nations really. Samoa - definitely need a win for their local comp. Tonga, same. So all competing nations to some degree really need to win, its hard to find an outstanding under dog amongst this lot. I'm most definitely going to cheer for the Kiwis - but being the underdog supporter I wont be too disappoint if Samoa wins, or even Tonga, or dare I say it - England. I hope NZRL go nuts marketing the marketable image of Sonny Bill. I hope all clubs jump on the marketing band wagon and promote, promote, promote the sport - that's the whole point of it really.
The Kumuls are always my Fav underdog , the way they use every tackle as an opportunity to test their Warriorness ( is that a word....no but it'll do ) against the big names warms the heart.
They remind me of the Kiwis when there were no names / non professional players in the team playing the Lions and the Aussies.

The other reason I'd love to see the Kumuls do well is they are the Rugby league nation.

Maraea

Maraea

The Kumuls are always my Fav underdog , the way they use every tackle as an opportunity to test their Warriorness ( is that a word....no but it'll do ) against the big names warms the heart.
They remind me of the Kiwis when there were no names / non professional players in the team playing the Lions and the Aussies.

The other reason I'd love to see the Kumuls do well is they are the Rugby league nation.

RIGHTi! I actually had to google that term Kumuls I had no idea what it meant. Forgot all about the PNG, those crazy bastards - lol! They are always good

Reactions: Sup42
KPWarrior

KPWarrior

Contributor
World Cup Sin Bin: Big crowd tipped for tournament opener
Aimagessmhcomau 2013 10 17 4839195 Andrew Johns wide 20131017210551958241 620x349
Australia's Andrew Johns is tackled by the England defence during their 1995 Rugby League World Cup Final at Wembley. Australia won 16-8.

The opening game of the 1995 World Cup – the one against which all since have been measured – attracted 41,271 fans to Wembley.

OK, that was only one game – between Australia and England. But there are signs that next Saturday's opening double header, which tacks on Wales v Italy to the same fixture, at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, will draw more.

That's what organisers are saying, anyway. The reason England are playing Australia on “neutral” ground is straightforward: there is no need to over-burden the London market before the semi-final double-header at Wembley on November 23 and fans from the north have supported an entire Super League round being played in Cardiff in the past.

If the prices of accommodation are anything to go by, the city is just about sold out. There are still rooms at the Park Plaza and the Hilton if you've left it late – for $493 or $525 a pop. But the key opportunity that awaits rugby league over the next seven weeks is to finally establish the brands of the national teams and wash away residual cynicism, particularly in Australia where the money is.

These teams, boasting recognisable faces, will be on television and on news bulletins, for five days straight, then after a 24-hour break, another five days straight and then the same again. While sponsoring an NRL team might be beyond many businesses, the idea of getting behind a national side should begin to take seed in the minds of potential backers and media companies if the events are well run and there aren't too many blow-outs. These are teams with millions of dollars worth of NRL and Super League talent that are commercially under-resourced, almost pristine; big billboards waiting to be filled, television properties available to be sold who would play more games between World Cups if people would fund them. It seems like rugby league has been put in the clear with the line open. But just watch those tufts of grass jump out of the ground and pull off the shoulder charges between now and November 30.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...ment-opener-20131017-2vput.html#ixzz2hyct0e6g

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Can't have cost the BBC much to employ a cartoonist to show then League types swinging like monkeys

I quite like it , the add has a sixties retro feel to it

Last edited:
Reactions: wallacenz
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Where is New Zealands media hype around the World cup.

A League team full of star players , defending world champions.

The build up or lack thereof compared to Origin discussion or Looming NRL finals is odd.

NZRL failure ?

SKY TV failure ?

Thoughts ?

surfin

surfin

Where is New Zealands media hype around the World cup.

A League team full of star players , defending world champions.

The build up or lack thereof compared to Origin discussion or Looming NRL finals is odd.

NZRL failure ?

SKY TV failure ?

Thoughts ?

Standard NZ media, ignore them till they start going well, then lets all pretend we cared from the beginning, and if it turns to mud, do the old we told you so, leagues not a true global game and only 3 teams can win it, unlike union which is a "true' global game, which oddly enough has only been won by 3 teams except for that time it was won on the back by a goal kicking freak from England.

ramraider78

ramraider78

Ok. So the RG players play in the 'easier' games? That is good news

I am amazed that Australia only picked one player from Manly
Watmough doesnt get on with sheens and both stewart brothers are injured after the GF.

ramraider78

ramraider78

That post worries me a bit. We didn't do well after the last World Cup when players returned tired. The last NZ squad had an abundance of warrior players but it effected the next season.
I look at that list and the cluster of clubs who have a lite impact are the dragons, broncos , manly and raiders...spot the bolter in that group? The teams with the biggest player contribution are the Roosters Warriors and Cowboys. I'd prefer we had at least 4 players less.
Don't want to sound neg but I didn't realise we were giving so many players up
Never thought of it like that and some of those guys will be in the 9's for sure - player burnout will be worry .

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Thats sucks,even when they step out in sevens, it stops them going back.

They should put a limit on games, if they play more than a calendar year of test matches,they cant go back because it shows the have a future with the team.
If they dont get through a test calendar year with the notion they were not up to it. Then they should be allowed to go help there home nation. Some thing along those lines, Warriors might have something better or more realistic.LOL

Some only get in to be one, two replacements and thats it.Ross Filipo mentioned it when he cracked the ABs . Knowing when the 3 ahead of him return from injury, he was going to be discarded.

Then you get the great Tongan tear away Kupu Vanisi, was a one hit wonder AB and disappeared after being discarded when Andrew Blowers came on the scene to deputise Kronfield. Not allowed to represent Tonga after Tonga pleaded to the IRB.
IRB rules wasted a great talent for Tonga because of there SH*t rules
Our games international rules are not to flash either. LOL. Especially with Origin playing a big hand on Kiwi and Island youngsters.
Follow Hurrell young gentlemen,chose home nation before adopted.It will make the game stronger.
Just take a look at the Island teams for the World Cup.Quite a few young gentlemen have chosen there Island nation ahead of the Kiwis and Kangaroos.
Once this thing kicks off an Hurrell and Fish are ripping into the opposition , Warriors fans / NZ league fans will very quickly get with the program and want to see more of our club ( the biggest Polynesian Club in the World ) representing the home nations and making names for themselves instead of siting around on Kiwis extended training squad lists of 36 players / something stupid like that.
These boys are Warriors stars , not retirees or lesser lights by any measure

JBmurc

JBmurc

No long now Be putting the lot on My Sky HD .... really looking forward to seeing some of the under-dog team put on some great footy so many great players with plenty to prove to there fallow team mates

Reactions: Sup42 and Weno
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

The NZ media is getting behind the tournament now, with good coverage on tv and the radio, the notable exception being The Herald (which is still crapping on about the all blacks but has gone strangely silent on the yachting recently.)[DOUBLEPOST=1382313330][/DOUBLEPOST]
No long now Be putting the lot on My Sky HD .... really looking forward to seeing some of the under-dog team put on some great footy so many great players with plenty to prove to there fallow team mates

Me too, MySky is fantastic.

Buck777

the notable exception being The Herald (which is still crapping on about the all blacks .

Bloody herald.

Jumped on to their sports sect on their iPad app.

Sports news # 1 Ben smith is a work in progress ( who gives a toss !)

Sports news # 2 time is running out for mccaw ( thanks for that )

Sports news # 3 piutau happy to embrace AB culture ( that's nice for the young fella, but that's not startling news, of course he'll embrace the AB's )

Sports news # 4 kiwis thrash Cook Islands. (Amazing the only international fixture of a NZ team. I do appreciate the herald giving us a mention )

Reactions: Sup42 and Weno
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

TV3 is giving the tournament a good build up in the mornings.

The Herald isn't fit to wipe your arse on in my opinion, and not just because of its sports coverage.

Reactions: 1 person
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
The NZ media is getting behind the tournament now, with good coverage on tv and the radio, the notable exception being The Herald (which is still crapping on about the all blacks but has gone strangely silent on the yachting recently.)
What I have never understood is how the Herald on Sunday is a sponsor of the Warriors yet they hardly cover them at all or even league for that matter. Only time you read anything is when they want to shit on the very team they are meant to be supporting!?!