Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Certainly sounds like jealousy when you are bringing up things like personal investments which shouldn't have any bearing on what someone can claim as part of the role they are performing.

Do you think MPs should be means tested and any remuneration based on that?

Should Willy Jackson be claiming an accomodation supplement when he stays in Wellington?
Stop talking about MPs and start talking about PMs.

Yall accept some fucking weak character flaws in your leaders and then make excuses for them. No wonder NZ is so fucked. This is WHY Luxon is a potato. Doesn’t understand voter sentiment or group psychology.

A smart leader could have flipped this in 2 mins for an easy PR win. Find a local builder to renovate and don’t take the supplement. Fucking simple.

Last edited:
agreed. He is working under the same rules as every one else has for the last how ever long though. If people aren't happy with that then query the rules. It cant look like anything other than a personal attack otherwise.
Come on mate, surely you can see that it's a bad look when the leader of the government is applying for and getting a housing grant he doesn't actuality need while complaining about finances being tight and targeting people on the benefit who get a fraction of that.

I also agree that others shouldn't do it but he is the leader and should know how this looks. Key was smart enough to realize this, any leader from either party should be too.

Also, If they aren't using the house then sell it and buy the PM a flash apartment. Easier to secure. Cheaper upkeep.

Come on mate, surely you can see that it's a bad look when the leader of the government is applying for and getting a housing grant he doesn't actuality need while complaining about finances being tight and targeting people on the benefit who get a fraction of that.

I also agree that others shouldn't do it but he is the leader and should know how this looks. Key was smart enough to realize this, any leader from either party should be too.

Also, If they aren't using the house then sell it and buy the PM a flash apartment. Easier to secure. Cheaper upkeep.
yes, so change the rules. Sell the place and buy an apartment, I'm sure it will then be a story on 'Luxon needs $xxxx apartment to live in while PM'

It's no worse of a look than Labour MPs claiming supplements/expenses while throwing away borrowed money while they were in Government. I wonder where the stories on that were? I guess its better to say nothing and just borrow and spend is the message.

Like I say, its nothing more than a personal attack on the PM when there have been previously as bad, if not worse issues that haven't even been worth a mention apparently. And his personal wealth shouldn't even come in to it IMO, just as the oppositions shouldnt either.

yes, so change the rules. Sell the place and buy an apartment, I'm sure it will then be a story on 'Luxon needs $xxxx apartment to live in while PM'

It's no worse of a look than Labour MPs claiming supplements/expenses while throwing away borrowed money while they were in Government. I wonder where the stories on that were? I guess its better to say nothing and just borrow and spend is the message.

Like I say, its nothing more than a personal attack on the PM when there have been previously as bad, if not worse issues that haven't even been worth a mention apparently. And his personal wealth shouldn't even come in to it IMO, just as the oppositions shouldnt either.
Sure it's an attack but it comes up for every government and so needs someone to have the balls to change it not take advantage of it.
The excuse that labour do it too doesn't really wash, I bet every party does it, still not right and if you're in government and not doing anything except take advantage of it then expect some flak.

You have to admit no matter your political stance it isn't a good look considering he is trying to cut costs everywhere else in the country.

There is a plethora of wasteful spending in Government roles everywhere you look though, not just isolated to Luxon.
Interesting that no one is complaining about education budget cuts by Jan Tinetti..... while she was still receiving the accommodation allowance.

As the former Associate Revenue Minister, Deborah Russell was helping Grant Robinson with cuts to government services.... while she was still receiving the accommodation allowance.

Jenny Salesa was receiving $10,000 tax payer funded travel each month and was responsible for reducing the fund for bi-language schooling for Pacific Island children when she was associate Minister of Education (at the time, Hipkins was Minister of Ed) .... while she was still receiving the accommodation allowance.

Sure it's an attack but it comes up for every government and so needs someone to have the balls to change it not take advantage of it.
The excuse that labour do it too doesn't really wash, I bet every party does it, still not right and if you're in government and not doing anything except take advantage of it then expect some flak.
my point exactly. where was the flak previously.

and then its down to what should the rules be?

It shouldn't be means tested or based on a person wealth.
It should be for anyone who doesn't currently reside in Wellington.
Should it be a supplement or just an added piece to your salary and you can choose to spend more or less if you want?

etc etc

No.... it's called hypocrisy.... calling out one person because of their position while ignoring others getting the same entitlement is hypocritical.
He is the leader, of course they are going to start with him and so they should.
He is also well off while putting in policy to attack the less well off so makes a better story that's for sure but he should have known that.
I am sure this has come up with previous governments

Interesting that no one is complaining about education budget cuts by Jan Tinetti..... while she was still receiving the accommodation allowance.

As the former Associate Revenue Minister, Deborah Russell was helping Grant Robinson with cuts to government services.... while she was still receiving the accommodation allowance.

Jenny Salesa was receiving $10,000 tax payer funded travel each month and was responsible for reducing the fund for bi-language schooling for Pacific Island children when she was associate Minister of Education (at the time, Hipkins was Minister of Ed) .... while she was still receiving the accommodation allowance.
People would have called out the others as well? I'm not sure your whataboutisms really fly here.

It doesn't change the fact that Luxon is the first to claim this as prime minister in at least 34 years when he is probably the one who has least needed to and at an awkward time when there are cuts across the board.. Blindly defending someone because he is on 'your side' is weird.

So he's done the right thing for his optics and agreed to pay it back and fund his own living costs. It's what Jesus would do.
No,, if he was to follow Jesus he’d:
1. Grow his hair long…. Fail.
2. Find 12 people willing to walk around the countryside with.
3. Just own a cloak.
4. Perform party tricks with water, bread and fish.
5. Raise someone from the dead…. maybe Hipkins when he’s finally stabbed in the back by Parker
6. Be betrayed by a friend…. Winnie comes to mind.
7. Get killed by an angry mob
8. And have everyone wondering for the next 2000 years where his body is.

Last edited:
People would have called out the others as well? I'm not sure your whataboutisms really fly here.

It doesn't change the fact that Luxon is the first to claim this as prime minister in at least 34 years when he is probably the one who has least needed to and at an awkward time when there are cuts across the board.. Blindly defending someone because he is on 'your side' is weird.
Wrong….. I didn’t vote for National but don’t like the hypocrisy which others are happy to defend other MP’s doing the same thing and calling them whataboutisms.

Wrong….. I didn’t vote for National but don’t like the hypocrisy which others are happy to defend other MP’s doing the same thing and calling them whataboutisms.
Well you replied to me, I never defended anyone doing the same stuff.

No,, if he was to follow Jesus he’d:
1. Grow his hair long…. Fail.
2. Find 12 people willing to walk around the countryside with.
3. Just own a cloak.
4. Perform party tricks with water, bread and fish.
5. Raise someone from the dead…. maybe Hipkins when he’s finally stabbed in the back by Parker
6. Be betrayed by a friend…. Winnie comes to mind.
7. Get killed by an angry mob
8. And have everyone wondering for the next 2000 years where his body is.
No.8 is not a problem.
We will see the new potato shoots popping up. 😉 😜

Back