General Rugby League Commentators Thread

Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Just found recording online of Gary Belcher, Ben Ikin and Brandy commentating ... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Stone
Stone

Stone

Just found recording online of Gary Belcher, Ben Ikin and Brandy commentating ... ;)

Oh snap ... I read this to my own kids every night :p

There's this one too which I find a bit funnier because you don't really hear this cat swear all that much, especially in comparison to Samuel "Mother Farking" Jackson's body of work

Reactions: Johnnyray
Maraea

Maraea

I actually stopped watching footy shows a couple of years ago but this evening, probably due to too much caffeine today, I found myself watching the Matty Johns show and I thought it was quite good. Decent amount of time given to discussing the Warriors and even showed highlight footage of Shaun Johnson - is this due to obligations to fox Sport? . I am not sure how balanced coverage of the Warriors is now on most footy shows but I remember when they were lucky to get a couple of minutes mention hence the reason I stopped watching these shows in the first place. I don't mind Matty Johns and 30 mins is a good amount of time for the show so as not to drag on like the Footy Show use to, how long was that an hour, two hours? Their format is so boring.

Tonbridge (Swanley)

Tonbridge (Swanley)

Gary "I hate everything about the Warriors" Belcher is the worst EVER!

Vossy is the best with his little obscure stats he brings up.

Sideline:

Prince and Fien are just cringeworthy!

Deep down I think Gasnier has a little shot spot for the Warriors and our "massive " forwards.

Reactions: Defence

Pandorica

It frustrates me how ex players get put into commentary simply because of their exploits on the field. Commentary is different - just because you were good at the game, doesn't mean you can call it in an interesting and informative way. You might know everything there is to know about the game but if you can't articulate it effectively, you shouldn't be in a commentary box. It seems like well known players (and not necessarily good players) are given Fox contracts straight after retiring despite having no experience, no media training, nothing to justify them getting the job. Perhaps Fox should be looking at broadcasting school graduates or something instead.

Warrior482

Warrior482

Rabs is probably still my fave, just reminds me of league every time I hear him. Sterlo, Gus, Warren Ryan, joey all listenable. Didn't mind fatty when he was in the box esp qld wins haha
Enjoy brandy when he's not bashing the warriors... Has good footy brain, same with Gasnier.
Husband, halligan, mcivor, vossy, Hadley get on my tits for various reasons, although was nice to hear (mostly) proper pronunciation from husband

Get Graeme Hughes back with "analysis' from The Butch... Would be exciting and hilarious as f**k

Reactions: Stone
snake77

snake77

Ray Warren gives games the big match feel but I'd prefer the Channel 9 teams concentrate on football and not taking shots at the game they are supposed to love. I saw someone post on LeagueUnlimited once about what other sport has commentators so negative about the sport they are watching?

This is why I am becoming more and more of a fan of Voss. He knows the game, puts the humour in and doesn't always over do it, and has a passion for the game. If there is a video ref call or something he doesn't like he doesn't beat it into the ground with constant criticism.

Gould I used to like his humour but he needs to tone it down and concentrate on the what I used to do as a coach in this situation or tactics to get around this situation. I had an old Grand Final on video (2004 maybe) and he was on the sideline he was straight player x coming off with this injury looks bad will see if they expect him back on, been replaced with. Nowadays even the sideline guys get in on the comedy show/complaining.

Sterlo is good but it seems he is going down the pecking order a bit which is a bit of a shame. He seems to get overshadowed by all of the other voices.

Johns I love the build up on the kicking tactics or points to watch. I wish more of the coverage was like this; concentrating on breaking down the game and the tactics.

the problem with gus is he's "the dude i called it" guy he constantly tries to predict the outcome so he can sit back with a smerk on his face and say i told you so im so smart i know more about rugby league than anyone
Love this point heard it about a few boxing commentators who watch round 1 then comment the fight on what they think should happen from there. Gould has a bit of an attitude about him that he knows best and what everyone else thinks is wrong. The interchange reduction was universally praised as the best way to reduce wrestling with some good points raised. But Gould pretty much went against the whole rugby league community with his if you change this other parts of the game will change mantra like we need to consult him before we change any rules.

Chances are he'd be the first to complain about any changes or if not the first the loudest. He also complains when the rules aren't changed.

I'm a Gould fan but his axe grinding and his using his media position as a soap box does get tiresome.

Danco

Danco

top 5 commentators/colour men

1. Graeme Hughes
2. Andrew Voss
3. Peter Sterling
4. Ray Warren
5. Darryl Eastlake

worst 5 commentators/colour men

1. Jason Costigan
2. Gary Belcher
3. Brett Kimmorley
4. Wally Lewis
5. Daryl Halligan
totally agree BUT Gary Belcher is the worst bias against the Warriors.

Reactions: Tonbridge (Swanley)

Pandorica

Ray Warren gives games the big match feel but I'd prefer the Channel 9 teams concentrate on football and not taking shots at the game they are supposed to love. I saw someone post on LeagueUnlimited once about what other sport has commentators so negative about the sport they are watching?

This is why I am becoming more and more of a fan of Voss. He knows the game, puts the humour in and doesn't always over do it, and has a passion for the game. If there is a video ref call or something he doesn't like he doesn't beat it into the ground with constant criticism.

Gould I used to like his humour but he needs to tone it down and concentrate on the what I used to do as a coach in this situation or tactics to get around this situation. I had an old Grand Final on video (2004 maybe) and he was on the sideline he was straight player x coming off with this injury looks bad will see if they expect him back on, been replaced with. Nowadays even the sideline guys get in on the comedy show/complaining.

You make some really good points there. I hadn't really thought about it much before but after reading that, I can definitely see how the commentators (and myself if I'm honest) take the game too seriously sometimes. It's supposed to be fun and enjoyable to watch!

Joey is good to listen to but for humour, I can't go past Freddy. His sideline commentary literally makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

Reactions: Defence and Stone
koolkat

koolkat

Tell me how Nathan Fien got a job he is diabolical..sterlo and voss easy the best..I don't mind Ritchie Barnett ethier.as a sideline commentator

Last edited:
snake77

snake77

I remember that Scott Prince intro posted on page 1. I couldn't stop laughing; he came on and said the Cowboys are going better that his intro.

What did he day at the end "The team that wins will go along way to winning" not sure but it needs to be interpreter.

Maraea

Maraea

Thanks for bringing up Jason Costigan Danpatmac ... I was just starting to forget that muppet lol ... "THA WAHREYAHS" !!! :yuck:

I hadn't actually watched or listened to any Hughesey for ages till i posted that clip & he's still just as awesome as I remember him, that man could make 2 snails crawling up a hill sound like the most riveting shit you've ever seen

It's good to remember the best, but what about this abomination from Scotty Prince ...

Don't quit your day job champ :D

'So basically um h-h-h-how many wood can a wood chuck chuck, chucky cheese cheesy chuck, wood chuck-chuck cheese. Back to you Sandy, Andy, Mandy, Jeff?!?'

snake77

snake77

A couple of people have mentioned. Back in the Lion Red Cup days he was commentating a game and my mate was playing. My mate and one of his team mates swapped jerseys probably due to the size of my mate he couldn't fit the designated jersey. That wasn't mentioned until near the end of the game.

My mate scores a try and I'm sitting there thinking pretty cool he'll get a mention. Then Dale Husband says the wrong name; so I get a bit of chuckle and put that in the memory bank for next time I catch up with my mate. A few minutes later the other guys scores a runaway. Now I'm a bit fuzzy if he then said my mates name or the other guys.

He then made the correction of the players swapping jerseys. A couple of shots of my mate are shown and he's a huge white guy with blonde hair so he really sticks out amongst all of the maori and islanders. At the next scrum a close up of my mate is shown and Dale Husband blurts out "Ah the big blondie HIS MUM LOVES HIM".

My mate was getting hassled about that all week but for some reason thought he said "His mao lo sim". Yeah my mates not terribly bright.

When I hear Dale Husband I get taken back to 1996 for little bit.

Last edited:
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

'So basically um h-h-h-how many wood can a wood chuck chuck, chucky cheese cheesy chuck, wood chuck-chuck cheese. Back to you Sandy, Andy, Mandy, Jeff?!?'

Also you forgot "My Nipples ! They hurt when you squeeze them ! Matty Jones ? What do you have on show tonight ?" ;)

Still as bad as he was commentating, cool, at least dude we don't have contend with guy who constantly dresses like this :

Or like this :

Or THIS :

This ain't photoshop by way. There's actually person out there that decides to dress like this in front of millions and millions of people.His name is Don Cherry. He's Ice HockeyCommentator in Canada. And people like say it's America that has problems...

Last edited: