General Rugby League Commentators Thread

Maraea

Maraea

I like Gould and Rabs. I actually enjoy it when they start waffling on and arguing too because it pretty much mirrors what's happening in my house, or in the stand or pub when I am watching with friends and family. We know what's happening on the field so a bit of extra discussion or opinion is fine in my books. I like wally lewis too. I don't mind commentators talking up their team a bit either as long as you don't spend 80 minutest bagging the opposition Kimmorley. Have to say I enjoy American sports commentary it's so over the top they make a guy painting a wall sound like the event of the century. I like Tawera Nikau as well. Can't stand Anasta and Hadley.

Reactions: Pandorica

Pandorica

I like Gould and Rabs. I actually enjoy it when they start waffling on and arguing too because it pretty much mirrors what's happening in my house, or in the stand or pub when I am watching with friends and family. We know what's happening on the field so a bit of extra discussion or opinion is fine in my books..

Me too! I find their old married couple arguments pretty amusing. For me, I only ever watch one Friday night game each week and it's always the one that Rabs is commentating. Easily the best caller in the game for me. I just can't stand Hadley, he makes even the most exciting games completely dull and flat with his boring commentary.

Also, I had to mute our game with about 10 mins to go because I thought I'd put the remote through the TV if I had to listen to Kimmorley's bullshit any longer.

Mojo154

Mojo154

The best Rabs and Vossy

The worst Peter Ropati and especially during a Warriors game, Gary Belcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence
Mojo154

Mojo154

Little bit off topic but I just had to post this old Billy "The 12th Man" Birmingham piece of comic genius ...

Dead set classic, gets me every time ... I nearly had a nookie ... If she only found my weiner ... I see you too jerry jerry ... Want any tomata ... No I'm OK ta :hilarious:

Classic!!!

Reactions: Stone
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

I don't mind Arwen, Monty, Ritchie etc
I'm not a fan of Awen. It seems he thinks to much while he speaks, and always comes out muddled and unnatural. Monty used to be like this but has improved immensely. Richie Barnett is probably the best out of this lot for putting sentences together and sounded flush.

McIvor...he ways sounds over-the-top excited when he speaks, and always mucks up his words because of it.

Marshthedarsh

I do love the Last of the Summer Wine type Shtick between Rabs ans Gus. eg Warriors v Roosters Semi in 2008 where they were discussing the video referee and Gus threatening to jump out of the commentary box if it was no try. Sterlo is great as he loves to watch good plays and you often hear an "Oh yes!" when watching one. It's a shame we never have them...

Vossy is the best for Fox, Russell is alright but needs to work on "Tuimolola".

Husband and McIvor give me bad flashbacks to 2012. Not fond of Halligan but that's just how it is.

Hadley, just... no.

Reactions: Pandorica
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
I liked listening to Warren Ryan on ABC over the years (shame he got himself outta step with political correctness).
The 'Wok' as he was known, had a sound League brain and heaps of good stories.

TV wise.....Sterlo, Rabs,Gould...in that order.

Voss I would have in another Category, he took on the Warriors....tried to sell them to his co commentators....Voss then...proved too good to put up with defending and promoting them when they disappointed as only they can.....

Stone

Stone

I'm quite torn when it comes to Gus as a commentator, on the one hand I find it hugely informative when he's in his Super Coach analysis mode & I also enjoy it from a purely entertainment perspective when Gus & Rabs indulge in their Grumpy Old Men schtick

But on the other hand I can't stand it when Gus starts jizzing all over the mic with his "that's an origin play" or "this great Australian / Queensland team" bullshit & I also get a bit pissed off with his propensity to write off non skippy teams too soon ... ie: "those big Warrior / Kiwi forwards are out on their feet" etc

Really Gus ??? :D

Miket12

Miket12

Best: Gus/Rabs when they are actually calling the game :D
Worst: Gus/Rabs when they forget the game and argue over something trivial :mad:

Honorable mentions: Voss and Hughes :cool:

Dishonorable mentions: Bleacher and The Mag Dogg :banghead:

• Haha
Reactions: surfin
motu1

motu1

i think there all shit but tim gilbert easily worst ever Hadley's ok on the radio but on tv he's absolute shit

Bluecat again

Bluecat again

Contributor
I used to be big on Ray Warren and Phil Gould together but over the last couple of seasons I have really gone off them. Perhaps it's just the whole Channel 9 wankfest but I am finding more and more I am turning off unless it is the Warriors or Doggies that they are commentating. They made absolute cocks of themselves with their test match call esp. the excuses and one eyed b.s.Voss and Sterling are my favourites and always got room for Graeme Hughes. Wouldn't it be great to get him back? And my absolute worst? Halligan and Costigan, with Halligan and anybody else a close second

Reactions: Defence
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Worst - Daryl Halligan and that other kiwi commentator who pronounces player's names with that strange polynesian accent "Maaaateoooooo".......

Yeah I totally agree with you there mate ! For me Darryl 'Dane "Gay-Guy"' Halligan has got to be the worse commentator to sit through at home.How he keeps getting names wrong I don't know. My two favourites are still Rabs and Gus. Then there's this:

:D

Last edited:
motu1

motu1

I'm quite torn when it comes to Gus as a commentator, on the one hand I find it hugely informative when he's in his Super Coach analysis mode & I also enjoy it from a purely entertainment perspective when Gus & Rabs indulge in their Grumpy Old Men schtick

But on the other hand I can't stand it when Gus starts jizzing all over the mic with his "that's an origin play" or "this great Australian / Queensland team" bullshit & I also get a bit pissed off with his propensity to write off non skippy teams too soon ... ie: "those big Warrior / Kiwi forwards are out on their feet" etc

Really Gus ??? :D

the problem with gus is he's "the dude i called it" guy he constantly tries to predict the outcome so he can sit back with a smerk on his face and say i told you so im so smart i know more about rugby league than anyone.

Reactions: Defence and Stone
Mojo154

Mojo154

Worst League commentators Mike Hosking, Nadine Chambers Ross and Karen Olsen with side line comments. I know just had to throw that in.

stacky18

Best is Hughes. Grew up with his comments, far more exciting than Rabs and the best voice ever.
Today: Vossy by a mile. No one else comes close.
Vossy should be teamed with Sterlo and Johns. These 3 are the only modern guys that can combine knowledge and entertainment.

Rabs: Has a great voice, but can't pronounce half the modern players names, or doesn't know who has the ball. He is honestly passed it and channel 9 have built him up too high. He should retire and come back every now and then. He is not a good commentator anymore, but his legend is such he can't not be taken off air.
Gus: Stick to commentating and stay away from bad jokes and useless agendas. Be yourself not the cartoon character that 9 wants you to be on a soapbox. You can actually be quite good.
Ray Hadley has a good voice but I can't like a guy who got Vossy fired.
Gilbert is an absolute joke.
Fitler, Kimmorly, Wally Lewis, Ikin, Finch, Tallis, Halligan and most other sideline guys are pure shit. They either try to make pathetic jokes about grass and the weather or are just plain boring and uninformed. Commentary shouldn't just be the old boys club that these guys make it seem to be.

We should have more guys who are media trained and purely love league like Vossy involved in the game.

Reactions: Akkerz

KiwiWarrior

99% of em are pure shite it's just the depth that varies

Worst Aussies. Ben Ikin, Gary Belcher, Greg Alexander ..
Anyone else who says "the big warrior forwards are getting tired"

Best aussies. Sterlo, Graeme Hughes (sensational!)

Old men off the muppets. Gus and Rabs

Worst kiwis. Barnett (pseudo intellectual gobeldy gook) , Wopo (wheth ow juthtis?), McIvor (idiot boy)

Best Kiwis. Logan Swann , Monty Betham, Awen Gutenbiel

Richie

Richie

Stirlo's the best aussie, in every department bar none. Darryl's the best Kiwi, good for his objectivity, common sense and love of the game. Rabs in his prime was always entertaining and still beats most of them. Worst would be Voss (even when calling in NZ his anti-Kiwi bias shone through), Ray Hadley (considers it a burden to have to try to pronounce Polynesian names correctly) Gus (forget his coaching credentials, you'd think he invented the game AND first put air in a footy) and Kimmorley (absolute...farkin goose). Sadly, most of the support cast (Gordy, Freddie, Belcher, et al) are knobs. Locky goes alright and I've recently been hearing Gallen commenting and I was surprised by his insight and delivery.

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Contributor
Kimmorley, Belcher and Alexander the worst for mine closely followed by numerous other ex players who should be in homes for the disabled.

Halligan is a twat and what bugs me is that no-one has obviously told him how fucking tragic he is. McIvor is not far away from that either.

I like Awen and Monts along with Vossy. Sterlo is also good value