General Ruben Wiki (Rumour)

sportsthought_old

It's two issues:
Firstly if he retires, whether or not he gets paid depends on the terms of his contract with the Warriors. I suspect if he retires totally due to injury he will not get paid out, but again it depends on what his contract specifies.

Salary Cap - If a player is no longer in the 25, then i would think that any payments made to them would not be counted in the cap - ie if Wiki/Joey still gets paid it's not in the cap.

But the longer this thread goes, the murkier the salary cap waters are becoming :)

Any lawyers in the house?

Tajhay_old

does this forum have more than its share of monkeys?

IF A PLAYER RETIRES, THEIR SALARY IS NOT COUNTED IN THE CAP.

HE MAY STILL GET PAID OUT HIS CONTRACT BY THE WARRIORS. THAT WOULD BE UPTO THE CONTRACT HE SIGNED WITH THE WARRIORS / GOODWILL BE THE WARRIORS.

tookeytookey_old

I wouldn't think so Swanley, I'd be very surprised if there's no clause in NRL's contract that allow clubs to terminate contracts if a player is injured and unable to pursue their football career.

In this case, I'd be very surprised if Ruben is not made a scout or manager for the Under 20's next year working with Dean Bell.

Swanley_old

Tahjay

Explain how if he retires and it is not injury related, any payments made to him in retirement are NOT in the cap(unless this has NRL approval) ?

Once you stop playing, you stop playing, end of contract(clauses permitting), end of money.

If you are on the football field and get injured and have to retire, YOU WILL GET PAID OUT YOUR CONTRACT. This why clubs take on out Insurance. Whether this is on the Cap depends on the NRL.

Johns retired after getting hurt NOT PLAYING(he was training) and is getting paid out his contract, it is NOT part of the Cap due to authorisation by the NRL.

If any payments in retirement are NOT in the cap, we would have a lot of experianced players with contracts stating that"you pay me a little now, freeing up money for other players and load my pay up when I retire because it is not in the cap". This just does not happen and would be classed as a rort.

"Hey Price, well extend your contract for peanuts, sign SBW on a fortune and give you a big lump sum when you retire because that is not in the Cap...."

A player is just like a worker, get hurt at work, forced to retire, get paid out, retire for the sake of retiring, don't get paid out(unless clauses are in your contract).

Think about it people.

Last edited by a moderator:

*Kimmy*_old

Omg!

I know its just a rumour, but...

If this is true, then it is the best thing possible, playing with nerve damage in his neck is not a wise idea!

Boy he has been a legend THEN SOME!

I am so going to cry tonight :eek:

Skinny_Ravs82

Omg!

I know its just a rumour, but...

If this is true, then it is the best thing possible, playing with nerve damage in his neck is not a wise idea!

Boy he has been a legend THEN SOME!

I am so going to cry tonight :eek:
Hehe, don't get too ahead of yourself Kim, nothing's really official just yet.

-Dr.J-_old

Yeah I'm starting to think this news might be dodgy eh. He's named this week, somethign just doesn't seem right.

Jesbass_old

Yeah I'm starting to think this news might be dodgy eh. He's named this week, somethign just doesn't seem right.

Unless it's an announcement coming soon signalling the end of his career at the end of the season, as opposed to immediate retirement?

Tau Hoa_old

Would like a source to this thanks. Not that I'm saying you are wrong because perhaps you are. The thing with rumors is it can fly from anywhere so it would be a good idea to state the source unless there is specific reasoning you can't.

I'd be more inclined to wait. However if this is a head's up then thanks very much for providing it

NO1 RULE
Never reveal your source!

jahc_old

I'm guessing if this rumour is true that Wiki would be waiting for the end of State of Origin.

tookeytookey_old

Tahjay

Explain how if he retires and it is not injury related, any payments made to him in retirement are NOT in the cap(unless this has NRL approval) ?

Once you stop playing, you stop playing, end of contract(clauses permitting), end of money.

If you are on the football field and get injured and have to retire, YOU WILL GET PAID OUT YOUR CONTRACT. This why clubs take on out Insurance. Whether this is on the Cap depends on the NRL.

Johns retired after getting hurt NOT PLAYING(he was training) and is getting paid out his contract, it is NOT part of the Cap due to authorisation by the NRL.

If any payments in retirement are NOT in the cap, we would have a lot of experianced players with contracts stating that"you pay me a little now, freeing up money for other players and load my pay up when I retire because it is not in the cap". This just does not happen and would be classed as a rort.

"Hey Price, well extend your contract for peanuts, sign SBW on a fortune and give you a big lump sum when you retire because that is not in the Cap...."

A player is just like a worker, get hurt at work, forced to retire, get paid out, retire for the sake of retiring, don't get paid out(unless clauses are in your contract).

Think about it people.

If Ruben Wiki retires for injury related reasons, he in himself has terminated his contract. Whatever mutual agreement is made on a severence deal is not conditional to the salary cap. In other words, if Ruben is to retire, through injury or not, he is not included in the 2008 salary cap. It is only inclusive under the salary cap if a player is forced out of a club, and goes to another club, the salary cap deduction comes from the initial club. In other words, if Grant Rovelli is on $150,000 and goes to the Sharks as of next year as the Warriors have released him, the Warriors lose $150,000 under the salary cap. Where a player leaves to retire, his salary does not go anyway. It is a terminated agreement, and his salary is not registered under the cap for the remainder of the years of his contract. The Warriors gain no benefit from Ruben retiring next year of his own accord, and the salary cap reflects this.

Hate to say it, but it's fairly simple really.

cablenathan_old

I'm guessing if this rumour is true that Wiki would be waiting for the end of State of Origin.

Funy, I was thinking the same thing. Hold out until after game 3 and then jack it in whenn we get Pricey back full time.

tookeytookey_old

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure the club is fully aware of Ruben's intentions, and are probably talking to agents now about possible replacements under the cap. It wouldn't surprise me if a ball playing backrower is being looked at.

Man, how big will Ruben Wiki's last ever game be? If people are reasonable, Mt Smart will be packed to the rafters. He is one of the Kiwis all time greats. A true legend. Irrespective of his recent form, he should be remembered for how he used to rampage over us when at the Green Machine. I hated playing Wiki (the Warriors that is), because it was effectively Ruben v the Warriors and Ruben usually came out well on top either on a points decision or a knock out. I recall going down to Canberra in 2002, and Ruben biatch slapped us. I remember him picking PJ Marsh out in the centre of the ruck and just barging over him time and time again. He KOed us, we lost in the last couple of minutes after a John Carlaw fumbled bomb. Steve Lyons also caned us that day with the whistle, but that said, it was more a reflection of how good that Warriors team of 2002 was that they managed to uphold Ruben and the Raiders for that long, he was unstoppable. We beat them in the semis, and then true to form, next time up at Westpac in Wellington Ruben slammed us again, making a line break to set up Michael Weyman for the match winner against the odds. In 2005, for the Warriors he was unbeliavably good. Price and Wiki just rolled it forward relentlessly. To this very day I've never seen as great a tackle as the one he put on Adrian Lam when Rubes was playing for Canberra, he sent him to hell and back. And of course, lets not forget his performances for the Kiwis.

jules_old

I heard the same rumour on another website

So maybe there is some truth in this.

KeepingTheFaith_old

After Origin would put the Dragons home game as the first opportunity. I can see him going until the end of the year.

Even if he's not playing I'd like to see him travel with the team over to Canberra in round 23. It'd be nice for both Rubes and the Raiders fans who certainly haven't forgotten him.

Skinny_Ravs82

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure the club is fully aware of Ruben's intentions, and are probably talking to agents now about possible replacements under the cap. It wouldn't surprise me if a ball playing backrower is being looked at.

Man, how big will Ruben Wiki's last ever game be? If people are reasonable, Mt Smart will be packed to the rafters. He is one of the Kiwis all time greats. A true legend. Irrespective of his recent form, he should be remembered for how he used to rampage over us when at the Green Machine. I hated playing Wiki (the Warriors that is), because it was effectively Ruben v the Warriors and Ruben usually came out well on top either on a points decision or a knock out. I recall going down to Canberra in 2002, and Ruben biatch slapped us. I remember him picking PJ Marsh out in the centre of the ruck and just barging over him time and time again. He KOed us, we lost in the last couple of minutes after a John Carlaw fumbled bomb. Steve Lyons also caned us that day with the whistle, but that said, it was more a reflection of how good that Warriors team of 2002 was that they managed to uphold Ruben and the Raiders for that long, he was unstoppable. We beat them in the semis, and then true to form, next time up at Westpac in Wellington Ruben slammed us again, making a line break to set up Michael Weyman for the match winner against the odds. In 2005, for the Warriors he was unbeliavably good. Price and Wiki just rolled it forward relentlessly. To this very day I've never seen as great a tackle as the one he put on Adrian Lam when Rubes was playing for Canberra, he sent him to hell and back. And of course, lets not forget his performances for the Kiwis.
Yep well said