General Ruben Wiki (Rumour)

truckie_old

I have been told this morning by a source that Ruben Wiki will be forced into early retirement.

He will announce things this week. A big lose for the Warriors. As many may of been aware he was about to announce he was going to finish his career in England and cut his Warriors stay short. But in light of his new injury he has decided that it is best that he calls it quits.

Well Done Rubes on an excellent career and we wish you all the best. Hopefully he hangs around in a coaching role or something like that.

Your number 1

Joe 90_old

Wouldn't be suprised if this was true as there's no way Wiki would play if he feels he could no longer give 100%. He'd be a great mentor at our club.

Now, not wanting to be shallow or anything, if he retires this year does that free up some cash for next year or does he get paid out? If so lets sign Eastwood now.

Skinny_Ravs82

Would like a source to this thanks. Not that I'm saying you are wrong because perhaps you are. The thing with rumors is it can fly from anywhere so it would be a good idea to state the source unless there is specific reasoning you can't.

I'd be more inclined to wait. However if this is a head's up then thanks very much for providing it

MiXmasterreece_old

So this will be effective immediately?

If so sign him up at the club for some sort of coaching / mentoring role and lets hit the market.

Very sad.

P.S. Skinny - Ive heard something very similar from another person today.

-Dr.J-_old

It'd be for the best, but Reubs is a kiwi legend and I have a lot of mana and respect for the guy. He's not playing the best causing irritation at the moment, but in the overall scheme of things the guy is an absolute hero.

KeepingTheFaith_old

The guy is right up there with Stacey Jones as far as Kiwi league goes. He'd make the top 17 of any all time kiwi team with ease. Absolute legend.

Mone_old

If so sign him up at the club for some sort of coaching / mentoring role and lets hit the market.

Very sad.

Just wondering do you know if they went this route and payed him out like that will it still be counted under the salary cap.

Esoj_old

well this seems pretty much on the cards after the news of the neck injury first broke a few weeks back and wiki not playing last week. hopefully we can keep him on in some sort of coaching role or something because wiki's vast experince and leadership qualties deserve to be used and not wasted.

if this does happen we should have even more cash to spend in the market hopefully a backrower with some ball skills maybe

wiki a true legend of league and defintely one of the best nz has ever had

KeepingTheFaith_old

Wiki has been named in the team for this week so if he announces anything this week it won't be effective immediately. Maybe an end of season announcement?

In other changes, Rovelli and Vatuvei back in. Crockett out obviously and Ropati is injured again.

sebastian_old

Good news for all, Ruben doesn't mess around with his neck & the team doesn't have a passenger. I agree if he does officially retire for 2008 thats $400,000 freed up we can buy a quality backrower, easily now, lets hit the market imediatly!!!

Thanks Ruben the team really did need this you are a champion!!

sportsthought_old

I am pretty sure that if he retires, the cash cant be spent on other players (even if they pay him out)

So if it's true . . .as old Steve Parr used to say . . .lets go shopping!

JonB_old

Big ups to Ruebs if he does that proves his mana

Great that he got a last try this year as well.

Wiki_old

I am pretty sure that if he retires, the cash cant be spent on other players (even if they pay him out)

That would be pretty stupid logic if you ask me don't you think.

It is up to the player if they retire therefore they forfeit their paycheck. There should be no reason why the money doesn't go back into the pool allowed to be spent on attracting new players.

tookeytookey_old

I believe the rule is if a player is released by a club and goes to an NRL club, then he's still under that club's salary cap. If a player retires, then he isn't. Take Andrew Johns, I think from recollection he had a year to go on his contract. He's retired, Newcastle can use his salary in the market basically.

He's been a great servant, I want to remember him as a great Raider and at the start a marvellous Warrior, not a Warrior on his last legs beating time with a two by four.

Jesbass_old

I would think Wiki would still get paid out for the term of his contract, depending on the clauses in there, but that money would no longer be under the salary cap.

@ sportsthought: Thanks for the blast from the past, lol! :lol1:

blain91_old

i dont know guys, he seemed pretty keen to finish his contract with the warriors on sun/mon i think it was, if its true good luck to him

sportsthought_old

That would be pretty stupid logic if you ask me don't you think.

It is up to the player if they retire therefore they forfeit their paycheck. There should be no reason why the money doesn't go back into the pool allowed to be spent on attracting new players.

typo - i meant can not cant . .so once again . . .lets go shopping

Skinny_Ravs82

Very sad.

Oh right thanks Mix. While I think it would be sad to lose him I think the health side of this is more important than anything else. If he feels it is best to retire then so be it. I, certainly wouldn't think of him any less. He's one of the best for sure. I know some of us give him a bit of a ribbing for his form but I'm sure we all have alot of respect for him

Swanley_old

It is not silly logic....Wiki.

If a player get's injured playing, then he must still get paid his wages, which go to the salary cap.

If I get injured at work(a real bad paper cut turning into a "bleeder", rushing me to A&E), I still get paid.

It's the retiring bit BECAUSE of the injury that may cause it NOT going into the cap. I think that's what happened with Johns. Therefore we presume it can happen with Wiki(if he retires).

If he just retires for the sake of it(had enough, bad form etc), then logically he should not get paid out because he has not completed his contract, therefore that money goes back into the Salary Cap.

I think Newcastle had to get permission from the NRL to still pay Johns and it not go to the Salary Cap..