Recruitment RTS new Warriors Captain and Tohu Harris signs on from 2018 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilakkuma

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
He played centre as well.

Following illustrates the position he played and the stats for that game in 2016:
View attachment 22450

Looking at all his positions, it appears that we have signed a bigger hairier version of Tui!
But I not complaining. Tohu Harris is not the worst signing we could make. Plus he can cover other positions.

As for Captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. I dont think being fullback is so bad for a captain. At least they are on the field. I think it is better than having a prop that is sitting on the bench as captain. If its difficult from to talk to the ref from fullback, it must be impossible from the bench.

Reactions: bruce and Sup42

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
I don't give a shit if they are winning.

Amen to that, but I'm getting pretty bloody sick of building teams for next year, seems like we've been hearing that since 2011, when does next year finally become this year?

Reactions: bruce

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I think the important thing here is that ryan Hoffman is not being re-signed next year. that could be a win win for us.

I like the idea a young bloke has been asked to be Captain. Apart from Hoffman, he is the only current player to have won a Grand Final. I wonder if that holds weight....

Good to see Tohu Harris sign as he is a better player than Hoffman, so it is an improvement to the squad.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
If this was a mature, stable club, then I'd see no problems with giving the young guy added responsibility with the captaincy. Just not sure how he will deal with the burden should the season go pear shaped, again.
He has Mannering as VC

Reactions: Defence

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
As much as I respect Kearney, some people aren't worth listening to if you are looking for fresh insights on the gamel or looking for an original idea.
We had one of those in Matt Elliott. One of the best performers on TV in the game. Compare that with Wayne Bennett, it was feed the chickens as much as you have to and move on. SK's style with the media doesn't worry me one bit and being a media personality isn't helping Shaun Johnson's game either.

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Whangarei
My brows knitted together so intensely dealing with the brain-hurt caused trying to understand the captaincy change that I now have a furrow deep enough for a Pukekohe market gardener to throw a trailer load of seed potatoes in.

Okay, so with Hoffman off man after this year, a change is obviously not a bad thing, but Rogerroger would be pretty far down my list of names for captain. I'm hoping Kearney and Shaun made a decision together about whether the captaincy would be putting too much pressure on him, because I get the feeling from watching Johnson play that it would actually help him. Behind the scenes is always a different story though - we only see the players during 80 minutes a week for half the year. Maybe Rogerroger's work ethic got him the gig.

Anyways.... this year's going to be our year. Top 4 minimum, probably the whole shebang, to be fair. No pressure, lads.

Afakasi247

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 5, 2014
After taking time to take in the surprise Roger Tuivasa-Sheck announcement I've concluded that this might be a winning idea, despite being completely left field.

I draw to the recent Sione Faumuina autobiography (a great read and highly recommended), more specifically his comments about the culture at the Warriors during the Anderson era.

Anderson built his culture based on what worked for his playing group, as opposed to throwing the Aussie-way onto the team. Ando would observe what made the boys tick and built his customs on that.

Thus, the so-called "bro-culture" was born but it was more than that - it was a brotherhood where each player had each other's back on and off the field. A sense of togetherness built on the family-oriented Polynesian culture, which dominated the make up of the team. Natural leaders were born through the likes of Monty, Awen, Seuseu etc. who would enforce on the field and get any player back if they laid a "cheap shot" on one of the brothers.

For that period between 01-03 we saw the best ever Warriors incarnation. Because the Warriors played to the strengths of its core playing group. The culture was built on the norms of its core demographic because they had a coach who understood them.

We often talk about taking on board the Aussie way. 2013-2016 shows that it doesn't really work - from the spin master Elliot, to out of place Cappy. While the latter had a good crack at trying to relate to his playing group, the results on field didn't relate.

Ivan did a relatively good job understanding his group (being apart of the Ando led teams) and we had perhaps the longest run of sustained success under his watch.

Bluey tried to over do it. To the point where he lost respect because his players thought he was a idiot more than anything.

But now, 2017 we perhaps have the best combination of the 2 worlds in one man.

Mooks is a Kiwi through and through and knows the Polynesian culture and what makes our boys tick. He was also a player who gave his all on field, for the brothers and also to win.

He's also been an understudy to arguably 2 of the best RL coaches ever. He knows the Aussie way and the hard work which entails.

The balance between the two, which Mooks will bring, is why I'm confident we could be set for the best period in Warriors history.

Perhaps one of the most interesting things Sione mentioned in his book was the appointment of Steve Price as captain when he arrived. It didn't bode well because, despite his accomplishments which were respected, he hadn't proved anything to the team that he could be someone they could be led by. But more because local guys like Monty had been overlooked - who already lead on the field and pioneered the brotherhood.

Perhaps the same notion was drawn to Hoffy last season. And the logic which led Mooks to picking Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as captain.

It's interesting because Rog is still quite young. But so was Mannering when he was appointed.

Thing about Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is he's dedicated to his craft. He trains the house down and sets a good example for the younger kids coming through the grades.

He's also focused on leaving his all on the field for his team - 2015 he set records for most metres ran in a season from out back - He's also a premiership winning player and sets pretty lofty standards for himself.

Unfortunately a guy like Shaun Johnson has been nurtured through the rough Warriors periods and, outside his rookie season, hasnt been able to lead us to success. Probably better Mooks decided to let Shaun Johnson just focus on his game.

Roger, like Mannering and the brothers before them, will lead through his actions. He's someone I believe will have an Infections effect on those around him - I remember reports last season of players trying to lift their game in training in owe of how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would bring the house down.

It's also the long term plan which will see through the new generation of Warriors - the "Above the Line" era.

And I trust Mooks judgement because, just like Ando, I believe he knows how to get the best out of this team (ala The Kiwis).

He knows what will make us tick, and if that starts with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck running us out into the field every week then I'm all for it and bloody excited.

Last edited:

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11793171

He's saying the right things, and can get behind the change from having an old aussie pro like hoffman growling at the team, vs, Roger who is essentially a peer to most of the squad, even if he's paid far more. Plus he's an extension of the coaches "speak quietly but work hard" approach.

And though his defence was shit last year, he'll be topping the running metres every game, so no one can say the captain isn't pulling his weight.

But... the referee thing is going to be immensely frustrating.

But... even though it was satisfying as a fan seeing Hoffman remonstrate over the various injustices... it didn't stop them from happening.

Reactions: Defence and Sup42

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Perhaps one of the most interesting things Sione mentioned in his book was the appointment of Steve Price as captain when he arrived. It didn't bode well because, despite his accomplishments which were respected, he hadn't proved anything to the team that he could be someone they could be led by. But more because local guys like Monty had been overlooked - who already lead on the field and pioneered the brotherhood.

I agree with most of your post, but this would drive me up a wall - Betham along with Kemp, were as uninspiring a captain coach combo as we’ve ever had. Monty was tough but terribly ill-disciplined and made a horrible captain.

Afakasi247

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 5, 2014
I agree with most of your post, but this would drive me up a wall - Betham along with Kemp, were as uninspiring a captain coach combo as we’ve ever had. Monty was tough but terribly ill-disciplined and made a horrible captain.
Well said, think was more the fact that some of the local leaders at the time were over looked for Pricey, who at that time wasn't accustomed to the team and players and sent a msg that they weren't good enough to lead (which may have been the case with Monty as you mentioned).

Ironically but not surprisingly Pricey was good for us, which Sione did acknowledge in his book.

Reactions: Johnnyray

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2014
After taking time to take in the surprise Roger Tuivasa-Sheck announcement I've concluded that this might be a winning idea, despite being completely left field.

I draw to the recent Sione Faumuina autobiography (a great read and highly recommended), more specifically his comments about the culture at the Warriors during the Anderson era.

Anderson built his culture based on what worked for his playing group, as opposed to throwing the Aussie-way onto the team. Ando would observe what made the boys tick and built his customs on that.

Thus, the so-called "bro-culture" was born but it was more than that - it was a brotherhood where each player had each other's back on and off the field. A sense of togetherness built on the family-oriented Polynesian culture, which dominated the make up of the team. Natural leaders were born through the likes of Monty, Awen, Seuseu etc. who would enforce on the field and get any player back if they laid a "cheap shot" on one of the brothers.

For that period between 01-03 we saw the best ever Warriors incarnation. Because the Warriors played to the strengths of its core playing group. The culture was built on the norms of its core demographic because they had a coach who understood them.

We often talk about taking on board the Aussie way. 2013-2016 shows that it doesn't really work - from the spin master Elliot, to out of place Cappy. While the latter had a good crack at trying to relate to his playing group, the results on field didn't relate.

Ivan did a relatively good job understanding his group (being apart of the Ando led teams) and we had perhaps the longest run of sustained success under his watch.

Bluey tried to over do it. To the point where he lost respect because his players thought he was a idiot more than anything.

But now, 2017 we perhaps have the best combination of the 2 worlds in one man.

Mooks is a Kiwi through and through and knows the Polynesian culture and what makes our boys tick. He was also a player who gave his all on field, for the brothers and also to win.

He's also been an understudy to arguably 2 of the best RL coaches ever. He knows the Aussie way and the hard work which entails.

The balance between the two, which Mooks will bring, is why I'm confident we could be set for the best period in Warriors history.

Perhaps the same notion was drawn to Hoffy last season. And the logic which led Mooks to picking Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as captain.

It's interesting because Rog is still quite young. But so was Mannering when he was appointed.

Thing about Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is he's dedicated to his craft. He trains the house down and sets a good example for the younger kids coming through the grades.

He's also focused on leaving his all on the field for his team - 2015 he set records for most metres ran in a season from out back - He's also a premiership winning player and sets pretty lofty standards for himself.

Unfortunately a guy like Shaun Johnson has been nurtured through the rough Warriors periods and, outside his rookie season, hasnt been able to lead us to success. Probably better Mooks decided to let Shaun Johnson just focus on his game.

Roger, like Mannering and the brothers before them, will lead through his actions. He's someone I believe will have an Infections effect on those around him - I remember reports last season of players trying to lift their game in training in owe of how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would bring the house down.

It's also the long term plan which will see through the new generation of Warriors - the "Above the Line" era.

And I trust Mooks judgement because, just like Ando, I believe he knows how to get the best out of this team (ala The Kiwis).

He knows what will make us tick, and if that starts with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck running us out into the field every week then I'm all for it and bloody excited.

GREAT POST. The only thing I would like to add to your comments is that I think SK picked Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to hopefully cement him here past his current contract date. By making him C it enforces the belief into the club and his team mates he is the leading future figure of the Warriors for years to come. Great move IMO.

The Batman

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
I think the important thing here is that ryan Hoffman is not being re-signed next year. that could be a win win for us.

I like the idea a young bloke has been asked to be Captain. Apart from Hoffman, he is the only current player to have won a Grand Final. I wonder if that holds weight....

Good to see Tohu Harris sign as he is a better player than Hoffman, so it is an improvement to the squad.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2013
Luke 2014 (suspended from GF)
Foran 2011

Do some Homework

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
GREAT POST. The only thing I would like to add to your comments is that I think SK picked Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to hopefully cement him here past his current contract date. By making him C it enforces the belief into the club and his team mates he is the leading future figure of the Warriors for years to come. Great move IMO.
Interesting that he was looking to secure Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's future here by naming him Captain instead of Shaun Johnson. SK must rate him ahead of Shaun Johnson. Then again, never know whether Shaun Johnson even wanted it. I would have thought, with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck only having been with the club for an abbreviated year, he would have named him VC or co-captain with Hoffman to make the transition for next year. Can only guess that SK really didn't want Hoff around as captain.

Rilakkuma

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Some players crumble under added pressure, and other get stronger. I imagine Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is the type to improve. If his body holds up, I believe Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will be a revelation as a captain.
He has already been Winger of the year and Fullback of the year. Like Mooks said, He sets high standards for himself. Im predicting he will be Captain of the year in the near future.

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
When you look at the candidates, he is actually an inspired choice. The rest were either too old, not here next year or had been in such bad form that SK had too look past them. It is a punt, but so are many other decisions. On the positive side, he is young and very talented. Full back is a good position to captain from. It may keep him at the club and could encourage his younger brother over who looks a very good winger. Good start to the season I reckon.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
We had one of those in Matt Elliott. One of the best performers on TV in the game. Compare that with Wayne Bennett, it was feed the chickens as much as you have to and move on. SK's style with the media doesn't worry me one bit and being a media personality isn't helping Shaun Johnson's game either.
I was waiting for a train spotter to make the point about Elliot (mean that as a compliment BTW).

Yeah Elliot seduced us all in the early days, he was a fresh and insightful voice to listen too. As did his deciple Cappy.

Good talk and actions do not have to be mutually exclusive, as evidenced by Daniel Anderson who was a coaching genius....sadly bordering on madness as the saying goes.

Those were the best days this clubs seen.

Versus what is to come, two very dead boring voices out of the Warriors.

Having said that, the Kiwis enjoyed their greatest era under Coach boredom SK.

On a side note, there's been a bit of chatter about Shaun Johnson being passed over on here.

Pray that Shaun Johnson's ego is flexible enough to bend to Kearney's will.

They have a historic understanding with the Kiwis, but believe you me Kearney will not tolerate dissenters, outspoken types, or prima Donna's.

SBW is bigger than Shaun Johnson, Benji achieved more, Lukes career has been on a par with Johnsons, JWH has enjoyed star pulling power.

None of those guys got one over SK, even though SK could afford some leniency in a International coaching short window that internationals allow.

Kearney is at least as strict as his Mentors Wayne and Craig.

As a player he was selfless with promoting the ball.

As a player he was schooled with Stacey, another selfless genius.

Sk's coaching is a continuation of a team mentality, a team culture mentality.....which could see....probably will see....the Warriors torn down and rebuilt.

It is little wonder that he has stunned the dressing room by making an alliance with a humble star that none of or few of us picked.

Like I say I hope Shaun Johnson reads the lie of the land.

Kearney is the hardest most professional most frustrating change agent the Warriors could have hoped to find.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
When you look at the candidates, he is actually an inspired choice. The rest were either too old, not here next year or had been in such bad form that SK had too look past them. It is a punt, but so are many other decisions. On the positive side, he is young and very talented. Full back is a good position to captain from. It may keep him at the club and could encourage his younger brother over who looks a very good winger. Good start to the season I reckon.
To be fair Roger Tuivasa-Sheck didn't have a of of form in the jersey although that try at Gosford showed what he can do from the back. I think Shaun Johnson can cope with the disappointment (if he really has any), he will say what he likes anyway. My read is that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is seen as a leader for the Polynesian boys, because that he surely is.

Reactions: Sup42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings