Recruitment RTS new Warriors Captain and Tohu Harris signs on from 2018 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Not upset by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as captain, but I am a little worried about his ability and inclination to be in the ref's ear. It is hard to do from fullback (will put him out of position too) and the NRL bans anyone other than the captain doing it. Some other captains are experts at slowing down the restart of play and influencing future decisions with their constant whining.

Like others have said, I'd imagine a big part of this is the club paving a long-term future here for Roger

Afakasi247

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 5, 2014
SK was on Radio Sport before and said The Hoff won't be given an extension past this season.
Love it man, SK out here pulling triggers and shaking shit up.

I think we're really in for a change this time, not the same old shit covered in a new wig.

Whether this change finally brings the spoils to Mt Smart, that's what's intriguing.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
He played centre as well.

Following illustrates the position he played and the stats for that game in 2016:
View attachment 22450

Especially like the last column of his stats.

I'm ok with the captaincy, but do agree it's a surprise, however for me the glaring thing from the announcement was Doyle once again getting the business done without any of the experts in the know actually knowing any thing. Hammers home all the speculation about Foran is just muppets throwing shit around hoping they get close to what is actually happening.

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
Surprised doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about this decision, bewildered, bemused, stunned all spring to mind. The kid had 1 breakout season the next devastated by injury but going forward and long term he's our best option as captain? Really? Does this mean he's moving into the halves? Is Foran only here for 1 season or are we keeping KF but ditching Shaun Johnson. Captaining from fullback is like captaining from the Goalkeepers position in Soccer , yes it can be done but it takes a special breed and it's rarely done well.

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Looks like JD/SK have decided for an all Kiwi first 13 if not also the bench after this year. After Lillyman leaves along with Hoffman next year, there won't be any more Aussies. I remember a year or two ago (please don't ask me for a link!) EW said he wanted to move towards a Kiwi team. He'a all but accomplished this. I figure Ayshford and Sao will be gone after this year too.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
If this was a mature, stable club, then I'd see no problems with giving the young guy added responsibility with the captaincy. Just not sure how he will deal with the burden should the season go pear shaped, again.
The stability of the club is a good point. We appointed Mannering at a young age and kept him as captain for a long time through different coaching regimes. That was quite rare we are a club that seems to be constantly rebuilding, new coaching regime, change of captains. Not the best environment for a young captain.

Surprised at the RTS Captaincy.
Rogers not really a talker, so yeah be a bit like going back to a young Mannering in Pressers with a droll SK.
Being a fullback he is going to have to talk a lot. Now maybe as a captain this will help a lot. As for post match interviews he may surprise in that area; as the captain he will be getting a lot more media commitments than he had previously.

Guys bringing up his position have a good point it's not like he is in a position where he can be in the refs ear during the run of play.

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
SK was on Radio Sport before and said The Hoff won't be given an extension past this season.
At least the club has made its intentions clear early; end speculation if they will sign him or not. If he wants to change the clubs mind or earn a contract with another club he's going to have to play well and impress. That helps us for 2018.

Age wise he is up there and we have just signed what looks to be his replacement and we have a few promising players coming through so chances are the club won't change their mind. But if he wants to play on he will need to impress another club to get them willing to take on a player pretty much at the end of his career.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Trainspotters out there will be able to say whether Minicello was Roosters FB and Captain when Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was on the Wing. If so he has had some insight into a team mate running the team from FB.

I think it is a clever move by SK, he is definitely no 1 in his position. That for me is one of the main requisites for Captain. He is an intelligent young bloke and has the respect of everyone.

Shaun Johnson needs to just play, either with Foran, or as senior half with Ata, that is enough to think about.

It puts everyone on notice, particularly amongst the senior players, perform or out. Particularly Hoffman, he wants to carry on after this year he has to perform. It actually gives him the best chance to do so without the Captaincy.

What's that saying about 'new brooms'. Damn it, I am starting to feel a bit more confident. No good usually comes from that.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Trainspotters out there will be able to say whether Minicello was Roosters FB and Captain when RTS was on the Wing. If so he has had some insight into a team mate running the team from FB.

I think it is a clever move by SK, he is definitely no 1 in his position. That for me is one of the main requisites for Captain. He is an intelligent young bloke and has the respect of everyone.
The Anthony Minichiello point is a good one.

I was thinking about him being the first choice in his position earlier. If you go through the main options. Hoffman is at the end of the career and would have been a safe option to continue. Mannering has had the job for a while and is probably refreshed last year with the responsibility coming off him. Johnson has been talked about as a future captain he may have turned it down for all we now or may have not been looked at as they may want him to concentrate on his core duties of getting the team around the field. After those 4 you start looking at people who are either not automatic selections, more likely to be dropped or start on the bench some weeks.

The move is a bit of a surprise. Hopefully with a new coach and new co-captain and captains we are about to turn around from the last few seasons. Also like the less emphasis on the 9s the way this club works that will probably mean we will win this weekend.:)

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Last year was quite lean for signings across the NRL. This year there have been quite a few signings already for 2018. Good that we have gotten in on the action. Hopefully more to come this year.

Hopefully we only use Harris as a backrower and not covering the halves.

He does a lot of work on both sides of the ball. We have guys that do the exciting stuff what we need is metres and tight defence.

Reactions: Defence and bruce

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Damn Roger.....that's brave. This sometimes head case of a club made Hoff and juju look like broken men at times.....kudos for voluntering to lead the asylum.

That said cant say i ever pictured Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as the man in the huddle under the sticks, laying down the law after another inexplicable lapse in D. Then again i think the onfield role of a captain is vastly overated at what they can influence anyway.....look at Mannering....if he couldnt inspire by example then nobody can. So long as he has the respect of all, can handle all the increased off field responsibilities, and maintain his onfield form, ill be happy.

Tohu Harris Harris? Not the ball busting, oversized, steroid ridden menace giant prop/2nd rower the pack really needs. But he's first grade quality and can play a role if used smartly. Bordering on absolutely ineffectual on that Kiwi tour......then again "used smartly" and "Kidwell" was never in danger of being used in the same paragraph during that debacle.

Really interested to see how these ex Storm players go away from the uber structured Bellamy systems.

Waiting For Premiership

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 11, 2012
"SJ needs to just play, either with Foran, or as senior half with Ata, that is enough to think about. "

Princess needs to PLAY full time, no MIA, take the line on, forget running sideways and the nolook pass and get his kicking game working with a couple of 40/20. If he doesn't then get him off and Ata can partner Foran.
Shaun Johnson has to prove himself this year and he ain't got any excuses left !!!

He's getting limited time with the nines , as his injury from last year's comp affected his NRL season (lame)
He's got one of the best No 6''s in the world as a partner ( Chad and Maloney partnered him and left to win premiership with their first season new half ?)
He's got a love interest ( breaking up with his last seemed to be another excuss)
And for the fans that wanted him to be captain , we'll not being captain or vice captain means NO added pressure.
Stating last year that the Warriors forwards weren't giving him the time and space he needed, and that with the best Kiwi forwards at the 4 nations it was going to be different ...Crap still never produced.Even Kidwell said that Johnson was going to run at the line . Nope.
His last few coaches seemed to think the sun shone out his arse , and he played his part, I believe with Monks in charge he won't get it near as easy,

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
.Being a fullback he is going to have to talk a lot. Now maybe as a captain this will help a lot. As for post match interviews he may surprise in that area; as the captain he will be getting a lot more media commitments than he had previously.

Guys bringing up his position have a good point it's not like he is in a position where he can be in the refs ear during the run of play.
Yup Fullbacks are talkers, as are Hookers....remember how poor Luke was in front of a Mic ? I take your point media training improved Luke....he's still no Obama but there it Is.

Who cares at the end of the day but I won't be watching the post match pressors....(mainly because of Kearney)

As much as I respect Kearney, some people aren't worth listening to if you are looking for fresh insights on the gamel or looking for an original idea.

Vossy had a good story abou tRTS....he shared a car ride with young Rodger during the WC in England.

As they drove thru London passed all the land mark buildings (the Tower, Buckingham Palace) Vossy asked young Rodger what he made of being surrounded by all that History ?

" Old buildings are boring"

LOL.

Good on him for the honesty of youth and Stardom.....but a global thinker he is not.

Not being a snob here,....just making an observation.....I'd be surprised if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck proves a good commentary and student of the game beyond the mechanics of the positions and sound bite cliche.

I like the guy so this isn't hating on him....like I say....like a green Cpt Mannering I don't think fans will get much out of the fan-press-Warrior dialogue interface from Coach and Cpt.

I don't give a shit if they are winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings