30 32
PointsBet Stadium
02 Apr 2023 06:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’ll be saying exactly the same about Shaun Johnson

Rattle Shaun Johnson and you rattle the Warriors

I think we go in with a team focus. Every man needs to execute their job to perfection - whoever is in front of them

Too focused on any one person and it becomes a distraction
They won't over-focus. They'll just have a plan. Niukore to be in his face at every step. Might get a few penalties against us. But worth it to stop the full court press. Sharks don't like being hemmed in. They like to be free-flowing. Stop that and they're stuffed. They don't have a plan b.

Always been a very hard gig to beat the Sharks at home especially Sunday arvo.
Plenty of very good sides have come second there
The more people say we don't have much hope the better I say! Especially when we are playing well! No doubt the Shark will give us a lot of respect this weekend and they will know they are in for a tough afternoon.

Chanel 9 on a Sunday arvo! These were the games you couldn't wait for!

The more people say we don't have much hope the better I say! Especially when we are playing well! No doubt the Shark will give us a lot of respect this weekend and they will know they are in for a tough afternoon.

Not saying that we can't win.
Just pointing out the fact that the Sharks are a difficult task at home on a Sunday traditionally.
I am going to bet on the boys.

I would be quietly confident had we retained our starting spine. Te Maire Martin is the key to unlocking the new look Shaun Johnson or should I say Retro Shaun Johnson? nah it's defo a new Shaun Johnson for the Warriors, the Shaun Johnson that played for the Sharks, an elite game manager with his boot.

Te Maire Martin's direct running and playing balls at the line make it safer for Johnson to do the same, because you can't just come up on Shaun Johnson with Te Mighty Martin in the frey.

Volkman doesn't have to replicate that, it would be too much to ask at his stage of development, we just need a game from him like Mason Lino played vs the Roosters when we caused the upset of the 2018 season. In other words he needs to kick, and kick well, and organize and distribute well for everyone, but especially off Walker passes.

Walker comes on and speeds up our passing, and he does that by being a human metronome. Watch our ball movement when Walker comes on, watch how it goes up several gears in terms of both speed and accuracy, which makes our shapes work, those block plays where the fullback chimes in as a receiving option which creates a one man overlap.

Volkman just needs to be calm, let Walker and Jazz tip the balance of the attack in our favour, call for the ball on the fifth, set himself a little deeper, use that massive boot of his to put in some functional kicks, not 40/20s just safe, long, and steady kicks...purely to take the bullseye off Shaun Johnson on the fifth.

We could win this without Volkman playing like the next Laurie Daley.

BTW the main reasons we are winning this year is down to the positioning of our defenders. The wall we present. That is new for the Warriors. We have never had perfectly placed sets of anything up to six or more men who have gone from being higgledy piggledy after conceding a line break, to seeing half a dozen Warriors so well drilled into reforming a straight line to defend any ruck scenario while the other seven blokes are still sprinting back from being left in the wake of the break down of our last defensive set.

You watch how when we are in trouble, and spread out all over the shop, the guys know instantly where to rush to position themselves as a wall.

So we should rightly expect to see more of that which could undo the Sharks, but it will be harder without Te Maire Martin and Barnett.

And the other way we have been winning as everyone knows, is that we play a straight bat in the opening, concede a Try, often times because of a kick or we get a dick reffs call, or we made an error....but we suck it up.,..and then on come the Bald brothers and they play some mean Jazz Riffs....the opposition ends up completely had it from the pace transition.....and we steal a win over the top of an exhausted NRL side where a Jason Taumalolo or a Kikau is just too fucked to run anymore.

I read a few knowledgeable guys comments that we need to drag them into a ruck war, a gutter slug out to have any chance.

I think the old Arm wrestle is correct for the opening of the game.

I think the mid game we do what we have done so well by upping the tempo and spreading the ball.

The end game, we do a mixture of both, as we have been, we keep Dylan and Jazz on to close out, and we get that lead, then strangle them.

In other words, I think we should play Webster ball, It is after all good enough to beat anyone and we barely know how to play that style ourselves, we are a rebuild side.

So rebuild then. Win or lose. Play Webster ball, till the day comes where people start calling it Warrior ball.

I think our best chance of winning is to keep doing what we have been doing.

Last edited:
  • 338376878_491970219666683_5537939758933987009_n.jpg

Both sides have a big task stopping Mulitalo and Katoa who are prolific tryscorers on both wings.

That's got to be Marata
Yep, for me he has been the stand out player consistantly wise so far this year.

In saying that, I thought Volkman had pretty good defense, similar to CHT?

Either way, Ive been saying for long time Shaun Johnson has no other kick options. Last game Shaun Johnson put in 19, Te Maire Martin 1. That will change with Volkman who posseses a better kicking game than Shaun Johnson imo. Hes strong off the hips so despite lack of speed can break the line. Thats what we have needed for a long time, two runnings halves who can both kick. The ultimate would be to get Egan kicking as well, all ex halves possess a boot ;-p. But it will cause some headaches for the Sharks imo. I wish the young fulla all the best, just play with intensity and bring "you" to the game, too many players try to be like XYZ, thats not the go.

Good to see Shaun Johnson take some big blokes head on. You can tell Shaun Johnson is enjoying his footy more this year, which equals him performing better.

I thought Egan would have to cop one of those 11 day HIA's.... He really has become a quality 9, sure hes a half originally, but he uses those HB skills with more intricacy these days, love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warriorshopeful
Yep, for me he has been the stand out player consistantly wise so far this year.

In saying that, I thought Volkman had pretty good defense, similar to CHT?

Either way, Ive been saying for long time Shaun Johnson has no other kick options. Last game Shaun Johnson put in 19, Te Maire Martin 1. That will change with Volkman who posseses a better kicking game than Shaun Johnson imo. Hes strong off the hips so despite lack of speed can break the line. Thats what we have needed for a long time, two runnings halves who can both kick. The ultimate would be to get Egan kicking as well, all ex halves possess a boot ;-p. But it will cause some headaches for the Sharks imo. I wish the young fulla all the best, just play with intensity and bring "you" to the game, too many players try to be like XYZ, thats not the go.

Good to see Shaun Johnson take some big blokes head on. You can tell Shaun Johnson is enjoying his footy more this year, which equals him performing better.

I thought Egan would have to cop one of those 11 day HIA's.... He really has become a quality 9, sure hes a half originally, but he uses those HB skills with more intricacy these days, love it.
Egan did have one of those 11 day HIA's off, it's why he didn't play against Bulldogs but luckily he's due back for the Sharks match.

Ford plays left so between minding Volkman & marking Hynes it will be a busy day for him! He’s been exceptional in rounds 1 & 4 so let’s hope it continues.
Throw in Nikora on that right edge as well and poor Volkman will be staring down the barrel of few short ball defensive plays.

I like we are growing our depth by giving experience to those who play the positions. In the past we may have been tempted to shift Tohu Harris to standoff and find another makeshift lock forward.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Walker there at some point during the game.

Last edited:
Through in Nikora on that right edge as well and poor Volkman will be staring down the barrel of few short ball defensive plays.

I like we are growing our depth by giving experience to those who play the positions. In the past we may have been tempted to shift Tohu Harris to standoff and find another makeshift lock forward.

Yeah the Nikora-Hynes combo took a while to click last season however could be very dangerous this year. This game is a massive test for how far our defence has improved from last year. I’m hopeful but still worried, if we can be competitive in this game then I’ll be very satisfied.

Anyone know if Tohu Harris travelled with the team? Also when do they start trimming back the team ahead of game day? I though you had to drop to 19men a couple of days out?

Anyone know if Tohu Harris travelled with the team? Also when do they start trimming back the team ahead of game day? I though you had to drop to 19men a couple of days out?
No, its just the day before, so the next squad announcement will be tomorrow at 6.

Reactions: RiceOwl
Throw in Nikora on that right edge as well and poor Volkman will be staring down the barrel of few short ball defensive plays.

Yeah and based on last week when he hit Nikora and he went through untouched in their first game together this year it has ominous signs for our left edge defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.