13 J.Curran J.Taumalolo 13
14 K.Nikorima J.Granville 14
15 E.Katoa H.Luki 15
16 A.Pene R.Cotter 16
17 J.Murchie G.Neame 17
20 A.Fonua-Blake B.Elliot 19

Blackdot

Blackdot

When is captains run? Tonight or tomorrow morning?

“So we’ve had to name him in the 24 because you have to name 24 players. He’s basically a 50/50 chance to play at this stage.

“He picked up a bit of a knock against the Broncos and wasn’t able to finish the game. He’s made some really good recovery in the front half of the week, we weren’t expecting him to play.

"We’ll give him all the way up until the captain’s run to improve his fitness because of his experience and the quality player he is, but as a group we’re preparing for him not to play, and if he plays it’s a nice little bonus for us.
We will need to reduce the squad to 19 players by 8 pm tonight (24 hours prior to the game), and I would imagine we wouldn't keep a 50/50 player as an emergency reserve, so I think we'll see whether he's been cut or included when the updated team list is released this evening.

Reactions: 1 users
Wrighty

Wrighty

We will need to reduce the squad to 19 players by 8 pm tonight (24 hours prior to the game), and I would imagine we wouldn't keep a 50/50 player as an emergency reserve, so I think we'll see whether he's been cut or included when the updated team list is released this evening.
Thanks Blackdot

As far as I can tell from google Captain's run is the day before rather than game day.

Reactions: 1 user
Wrighty

Wrighty

I am waiting for the NRL tipsters to post their predictions. They have been getting it correct mostly this year. So expecting that to come out in a few hours.

Wrighty

Wrighty

NRL.com tips are in

5 picking Warriors and 3 picking Cowboys
One of the tipsters is Goran Paladin who tips warriors every week,

Reactions: 2 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Well, everyone who's picked the Warriors has - correctly, because without Tom Daboydabitch, the Sea Eagles's winning percentage goes very ugly - picked the Newcastle Knights.

So that's a bingo!!

Wrighty

Wrighty

Fonzie made a seminal podcast last year about consistency of selection creating cohesion in passing, distribution and expectations around running lines.
Nathan Brown has really tried to stay to a winning line up this week with the same 1 through 7 in the backline.
Johnson said in that article I posted above that he watched tape of Reece and Chanel Harris-Tavita to get for the Brisbane game so that he would know what lines and they would run and where they would want the pill.

Having played a game together where they came out with a W they will know each other better. Brown was cautious though as said the spine is still feeling each other out and you could still see some freshness to it on the training runs this week. His answer indicated they will be 25% more cohesive this week.

Will our spine's added cohesiveness be enough to get up over the Cows.

Edit - Sit back and enjoy this spine in action tomorrow night.
1 Reece Walsh - Origin Player
6 Chanel Harris-Tavita - Good Defender
7 Shaun Johnson - Former Golden Boot
9 Egan - in top 8 Hookers in the NRL*

DallyM

DallyM

Fonzie made a seminal podcast last year about consistency of selection creating cohesion in passing, distribution and expectations around running lines.
Nathan Brown has really tried to stay to a winning line up this week with the same 1 through 7 in the backline.
Johnson said in that article I posted above that he watched tape of Reece and Chanel Harris-Tavita to get for the Brisbane game so that he would know what lines and they would run and where they would want the pill.

Having played a game together where they came out with a W they will know each other better. Brown was cautious though as said the spine is still feeling each other out and you could still see some freshness to it on the training runs this week. His answer indicated they will be 25% more cohesive this week.

Will our spine's added cohesiveness be enough to get up over the Cows.

Let's hope Shaun Johnson has learnt not to give Walsh and others hospital passes lol and hopefully has put away that long intercept pass he does on occasions.... But damn I'm happy he's back with us.... Will only get better as will the combinations

AusWarriorsFan

]Will our spine's added cohesiveness be enough to get up over the Cows.

Given the CBs are not struggling to score points like the Broncos (72 vs 45 over 4 games) and they have better defense than the Warriors. I think it will take more than our Spine cohesion. Defense across the board will have to be top draw. But Im hoping the cohesion/practise was a focus again.

Walsh is my main concern on defense, CBs have players quite capable of making his rather lackluster defensive vision and tackling really stand out.. I do hope he makes up for it in scoring, as long as he scores more than he lets in we are sweet.

Speaking of FBs, the FB I think we should be chasing, Drinkwater will be on show for the CBs, part of me wants him to fail, but then that might mean we go shy on the talks (unless more has progressed this week). He is a better balanced mix, if we had a gun FB no doubt Walsh would be playing 6.

I actually would like to see Kodi included in the 9 role, much like Brandon and Harry do for the Storm. Kodi is faster off the mark and can give great passes to the half, but it could be one way we get broken field play for the likes of Walsh to keep an eye out for.

Overall I hope we have continued to practise the players in motion and possibly added to it with dummy runners, hopefully this week Katoa doesnt get in the way of one from Chanel Harris-Tavita to Shaun Johnson lol (know your role), he was just late on the run and then thought it was meant for him I think.

But yes, our spine is definitely shaping up where I expected, a real shame on Walsh missing the first 2 and then Shaun Johnson missing 2 and 3, but based on how smooth they appeared last week and how well the outside backs new their roles, I can only conclude they had spent a lot of time practising the offense.

Id like to see Walsh and maybe Egan/Kodi backing up the ball playing forwards. Addin Fonua-Blake, Curran, possibly Jazz, clearly Tohu Harris, when hes playing. Walsh could quite easily be a Papanhuzen just by backing up the offloaders in the team and scoring any number of tries or assists in broken field play.

Watch Shaun Johnson show his under study (in 2 teams) in the opposition 7 how its done. I expect Chad to be pin point with the kicks, this worries me a bit catching Walsh out. But similar Shaun Johnson could do the same, brilliant strategic kicking game last week, who do we not want to run the ball this week lol.

I hope Chanel Harris-Tavita attacks the line again this week, hes turning into a real old school 6, a Fitler type, not slow, not quick, but runs damn hard and is damn strong. If he can get his centre in the game and a bit of catch and pass could see us overlap the wing. No doubt Shaun Johnson will produce a couple of assists with his gorgeous running of the ball both hands out in front sprinting on the diagonal, offloading as soon as the opposition centre falls for it. I just wish we had some genuine pace in our outside backs for Shaun Johnson to work with, we could create a lot of points with his ball running and a fast winger. Oh how times have changed, FBs are now the speedsters and often not the best defenders in the team (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was clearly the best in the modern game as a traditional FB).

To be fair on Walsh, hes not played a lot of FB still, but I expect who ever picks him up to play him in the 6 personally, unless they missing a FB and have an X factor halves pairing. So it will take time, but Reynolds kick last week was deliberately due to being out of place. But, hes there to look pretty and score points (or assists), any improvement week on week in D vision will be a bonus.

Has Addin Fonua-Blake been ruled out yet officially?

Odds have tightened up to evens. I wish I hadnt wasted all my bookie backing the Warriors early season haha.

Cces

Cces

Here are the ‘stats’ going into tomorrow nights game. The sides couldn’t be more evenly matched. It is a ‘home’ game for us, so the Cows will have had to endure a flight to Brissy which should help us as well as it’s the early game too.
Where are these stats from? For the Cowboys Nanai is 19 years old, Luki 20 & Neame/Asi are 21 years of age. Walsh is still 19 too isn't he?
D6DC25F2 019D 472A 9333 4CE0894BD5FE

Wrighty

Wrighty

Let's hope Shaun Johnson has learnt not to give Walsh and others hospital passes lol and hopefully has put away that long intercept pass he does on occasions.... But damn I'm happy he's back with us.... Will only get better as will the combinations

Savour these games when Shaun Johnson and Walsh are together, Years from now we will be talking about this season when we had Shaun Johnson and Reece together.
I am trying to think of a better warriors spine in the last 5 years
The Candidates
are
2017) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Foran, Luke, Shaun Johnson
2018) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Green, Luke, Shaun Johnson
2022) Walsh, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Egan, Shaun Johnson

Is Walsh better than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck? Egan is probably better than 2017/2018 Luke
I guess will have to see if Chanel Harris-Tavita kicks on in the next few games.

Speaking of which Chanel Harris-Tavita, according to pre-season articles, was supposed to be judged over his first 6-8 games before a definitive call was made on him by the Warriors.
Seems after 4 games the jury is still out and that anything is sill possible for him.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Savour these games when Shaun Johnson and Walsh are together, Years from now we will be talking about this season when we had Shaun Johnson and Reece together.
I am trying to think of a better warriors spine in the last 5 years
The Candidates
are
2017) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Foran, Luke, Shaun Johnson
2022) Walsh, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Egan, Shaun Johnson

Is Walsh better than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck? Egan is probably better than 2017/2018 Luke
I guess will have to see if Chanel Harris-Tavita kicks on in the next few games.

Speaking of which Chanel Harris-Tavita, according to pre-season articles, was supposed to be judged over his first 6-8 games before a definitive call was made on him by the Warriors.
Seems after 4 games the jury is still out and that anything is sill possible for him.
2022 Shaun Johnson is superior to 2017/18 Shaun Johnson as well.

Defence

Defence

Devils advocate..

1- hasn’t actually played origin.
6- kinda funny that was the best wrap u could give him.
7- fact
9- I don’t think many fans from outside our club would agree.

I can live with our spine because (imo) we have a very good forward pack but u take Addin Fonua-Blake, Harris and tevaga out and it ain’t looking so flash.
The battle of the spines will likely be decided by who can dominate the middle.
If Addin Fonua-Blake plays I like our chances.

Reactions: 2 users
Wrighty

Wrighty

From Foxnews - I disagree that Pene would drop out but anyway here is what they say

Warriors vs North Queensland Cowboys at Moreton Daily Stadium, 6.00pm

Warriors team
: 1. Reece Walsh 2. Edward Kosi 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Adam Pompey 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Chanel Harris-Tavita 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Bunty Afoa 9. Wayde Egan 10. Matt Lodge 11. Euan Aitken 12. Bayley Sironen 13. Josh Curran 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Eliesa Katoa 16. Aaron Pene 17. Jack Murchie 20. Addin Fonua-Blake 21. Rocco Berry

Player cut: 18. Taniela Otukolo 22. Pride Petterson-Robati 23. Junior Ratuva 24. Viliami Vailea 25. ‘Otukinekina-He-Tofonga Kepu

Late Mail: Star prop Addin Fonua-Blake could be late addition gven he was retained in the squad after coach Nathan Brown trimmed it down. Fonua-Blake is carrying an injury with Bunty Afoa starting in his place in the front row. Should Fonua-Blake recover in time he would start with Afoa likely shifting to the bench and Aaron Pene potentially dropping out.

AusWarriorsFan

NRL.com rated this an A spine. If we could get a defensive FB like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck who puts in 200 metres a game, have Walsh at 6 Shaun Johnson at 7 and could get a 9 the quality of a fit Luke, then I would consider that spine slightly better than 2018.

Current spine as it is, imo is ~C+. With some coaching and continuous improvement from Egan and Walsh, could end up a B. Dont have to have X factor players in every spine position though, just better than average and a couple of Marquee players, who can connect with the ball playing Forwards, broken field play becomes rather obvious, its all about the FB following the ball players around or anticipating the 9 is going to run dummy half and being there for the offload into spaace, that is when your forwards playing power game and steam rolling so defense is offside and shot.

Could end up having Metcalf playing wing with his speed, that would be electric with SJs ability to find the overlap TA.

With Tohu Harris back and the signings coming next year, I think the team will be top 4 on paper. I think current team has no exscuses to miss the 8, outside Shaun Johnson missing half the season, which i think hes unlikely to as hes playing mostly just game management, or run draw pass, no crazy steps or over stretching the hammies.

AusWarriorsFan

Addin Fonua-Blake has been in the extended squad for a while, no news there. Will be game day decision Im guessing.

Im not keen on Berry, our defense was far better without him. He has potential no doubt, but we getting a lot of strength in defense for the outside backs so I dont see the point in weakening the team.....