Team List Round 5 2010 Bulldogs vs Warriors

warriors4life_old

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news/549/Tate-to-lead-Vodafone-Warriors-against-Bulldogs

warriors.co.nz said:
Tate to lead Vodafone Warriors against Bulldogs

Centre Brent Tate has become the Vodafone Warriors’ newest captain after confirmation today that a hand injury had ruled loose forward Micheal Luck out of Saturday night’s fifth-round NRL clash against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium. Tate (28) learned of his elevation on the same day his brother-in-law – and former Vodafone Warriors captain – Steve Price announced he would retire at the end of the 2010 season.

Team doctor John Mayhew said Luck, who led the Vodafone Warriors against Gold Coast in round one and Manly last Sunday, had broken his right index finger. “He had problems with the hand on Sunday and x rays after the game confirmed he has a break in the finger,” he said. “He’ll have this week off to give the injury time to settle down.”

With official captain Simon Mannering also sidelined with a hamstring injury, Tate becomes the third player to lead the side in the first five games of the 2010 campaign. “I feel so honoured to be given the chance to lead the club,” he said. “I haven’t captained a side in the past but I’m really excited about doing the job against the Bulldogs. I’m going to enjoy the experience.”

Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said Tate had all the qualities need to lead the side in the absence of the club’s other captaincy options. “Brent’s a tremendous leader in his own right,” he said. “He’s one of our senior players and this responsibility will sit well with him. He’ll revel in the role.”

Tate takes on the task at a time when the Vodafone Warriors are set to field one of the least-experienced forward packs in the club’s history. With Luck’s 178 appearances missing, there won’t be one forward with 100 NRL appearances or more to his name. The most experienced will be prop Sam Rapira – who turns 23 on Thursday – with 90 games to his name and back rower Jacob Lillyman with 88. Ranked next in number of appearances is front rower Jesse Royal, who plays his 49th match on Saturday night, while the rest of the forwards range from Russell Packer’s 30 games down to recalled Ukuma Ta’ai with just 10.

With Luck out, Ben Matulino moves off the bench to join Lewis Brown in the second row while Lillyman switches to loose forward. Ta’ai, who has been playing for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup, will make his first NRL appearance of the season.

“We seem to be getting tested on the injury front every week but that’s just the way it goes,” said Cleary. Apart from Luck, Mannering and Price, others still injured include winger Manu Vatuvei, first-choice halfback Brett Seymour, Isaac John, Shaun Johnson and Elijah Taylor.

Both teams go into Sunday’s game following last-up defeats, the Vodafone Warriors losing 6-24 to Manly on Sunday and the Bulldogs going down 16-38 to South Sydney last night.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS

ANZ Stadium, Homebush
7.30pm, Saturday, April 10

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 LANCE HOHAIA
2 KEVIN LOCKE
3 BRENT TATE (c)
4 JEROME ROPATI
5 BILL TUPOU
6 JOEL MOON
7 JAMES MALONEY
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 AARON HEREMAIA
10 JESSE ROYAL
11 LEWIS BROWN
12 BEN MATULINO
13 JACOB LILLYMAN

Interchange:
14 WADE McKINNON
15 JEREMY LATIMORE
16 RUSSELL PACKER
17 UKUMA TA’AI

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

Last edited by a moderator:

warriors4life_old

We're getting a bit hammered on the injury front...

No real surprises there from Cleary. Will be interesting to see how effective Tate is as captain and also whether Ta'ai has carried on his form from the end of last season, or has become lazy and unfit as many people seem to be suggesting.

Northern_Union

Who are we missing as frontliners?

Mannering
Manu
Pricey
Buster
Luck?

David Bragg_old

I don't expect Cleary to have selected Ta'ai if he wasn't ready.
I am looking forward to seeing him and hopefully those Vulcan games have sharpened him up.
Only change from last week is Ta'ai for Luck which gives us a more menacing attack.
Is this the week Royal makes no mistakes and gets his off load going.

Ryno_old

Royal better work on his ball carrying, and Moon has a couple of opportunities left to impress or he'll be in the Vulcans.

Bring on the doggies!

warriors4life_old

Seymour also missing!

I also hear that they rate Manu a 60% chance of playing

Buster = Seymour.

Manu will probably be back next round, Mayhew will err on the side of caution when bringing a player back from a hammy.

Vatuvei and Mannering = Round 6
John = Round 7
Seymour = Round 8

EnterFien_old

I think Tate will make a great captain! He knows how to fire up a team and getting them switched on!
Expecting a huge game from him

Norby_old

Good to see Ta'ai back in the mix.

Will look forward to him swatting Idris away like a fly again.

garyhobson_old

Bad luck for Elijah Taylor, he really could have had his first grade opportunity in the nrl this year with all the injuries. Unlucky to miss out last year, and unlucky to miss out this year. He should be the long term lock next season.

Spence_old

I guess I'm in the minority here, but from what I saw from him in the U20s I didn't see superstar written all over him. For mine, he didn't dominate that grade the way the rest of the Juniors now in the first grade team did.

insulinboi_old

I guess I'm in the minority here, but from what I saw from him in the U20s I didn't see superstar written all over him. For mine, he didn't dominate that grade the way the rest of the Juniors now in the first grade team did.

I agree. i think he's a solid player, but I never really understood the calls of him being the next SBW.

sebastian_old

I heard Ropati's carrying an injury..? Anyway good to see Tate get his 1st cap, he's a great motivator. If I wasn't pretty sure he was leaving us next year I'd want him to keep it. Considering the injuries, no complaint's, I only hope Ivan warns Royal this week to focus, otherwise he needs to get dropped.
P.S Nice to see the site back ; )

LordGnome_old

Henderson is fit again and played for the Vulcans last weekend.

danco_old

I think Tate will make a great captain! He knows how to fire up a team and getting them switched on!
Expecting a huge game from him

Tate should be captain, I have heard him on the field yelling at players to fill gaps and get back on side and he doesnt hold anythink back.

Jesbass_old

Henderson is fit again and played for the Vulcans last weekend.

Yep, and he had a stand out game, too, apparently. That's precisely what we need - a bit of depth and competition for spots in a squad that has been riddled with injuries.

David Bragg_old

This is the Vulcans named team for this week off the ARL Website

1 Johnny Aranga 2 Fetongi Tuinauvai 3 Sione Tongia 4 Niuvao Taka 5 Toshio Laiseni 6 Patrick Ah Van 7 Pita Godinet 8 Nathaniel Neale 9 Alehana Mara 10 Mataupu Poching 11 Michael Afioga 12 Sione Lousi 13 Tulson Caird 14 Dane Shelford 15 James Gavet 16 TBC 17 Ian Hayes 21 Howie Matthews

No Ian Henderson,Is he travelling with the Warriors perhaps
Good to see Mara and Gavet in there

Spence_old

Great to see Mara and Gavet back from injury. I'm guessing Ropati is out, so Henderson will go onto the bench?