Rate the Match

• A

Votes: 58 48.7%
  • B

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • C

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters
I have thought all day about why that game was so so difficult to win when we looked much better on paper.

Finally an expression came to me from the 1970s

The Bulldogs style of play is hard case.
They off load the ball at will, keep it alive on the second tackle and attack you from anywhere making it hard to settle into an arm wrestle against them.
They are feisty and ferrocious tacklers and they believe in themselves, their coaching system and their game plan.

They are damn hard to beat and I can see why they beat the Storm.
They also don't infringe much, give away many penalties, and are highly disciplined.
They also don't turn over the ball much and completed at 81% yesterday.

This was a hard hard match and they are a hard case team.

Unfortunately they are a team we play twice and we have them again in Round 11.

They match up really well with their strengths and weaknesses against us

Mr Frank White you called the result with the Cows.
Then you correctly said the Dogs would be a harder opponent than the Cows.

What is your call against the Sharks?

I just saw the Dogs as having more strike players, as well as being up for a physical fight.
Webby is, IMHO, doing a fantastic job identifying an opponents strengths and nullifying it.

The Sharks are top 4 material. Nico was on fire last game. Once their back 5 gets any space they are gone. We are going to get torched on the outside, and our only hope is to drag them into the trenches and beat them to death.
Niukore on Nico is a must, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is probably needed, and god knows how we stop Talakai

I just saw the Dogs as having more strike players, as well as being up for a physical fight.
Webby is, IMHO, doing a fantastic job identifying an opponents strengths and nullifying it.

The Sharks are top 4 material. Nico was on fire last game. Once their back 5 gets any space they are gone. We are going to get torched on the outside, and our only hope is to drag them into the trenches and beat them to death.
Niukore on Nico is a must, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is probably needed, and god knows how we stop Talakai
Sounds like you are tipping the Sharks all things considered?

Does the bunker actually see what we see?

I remember at the time that it was going to be a revelation because the bunker had 9+ angles that they could cycle through independently.

Yet when we see a replay it seems to be controlled by what the bunkers are checking for, and you can often tell what they are going to rule by what they are focusing on.

It is a giant fucking enigma. I'm not nearly bothered by the refereeing as much as the inconsistent bunker. I'd even take the ambiguous 6 again over the bunker. It is staggering how much they get wrong.

Sounds like you are tipping the Sharks all things considered?
Oh I dont always bet, but when I do, I tip both ways. I'll put a multi on the Sharks for sure. Ill have one for us 1-12 as well though.

• Haha
Reactions: Defence

I remember at the time that it was going to be a revelation because the bunker had 9+ angles that they could cycle through independently.

Yet when we see a replay it seems to be controlled by what the bunkers are checking for, and you can often tell what they are going to rule by what they are focusing on.

It is a giant fucking enigma. I'm not nearly bothered by the refereeing as much as the inconsistent bunker. I'd even take the ambiguous 6 again over the bunker. It is staggering how much they get wrong.
The Bunker is a lottery and a complete waste of time. Just let the on field official decide and live with it.
The only exception should be grounding of tries. All tries should be checked by the bunker. without stopping play, but only for whether it was grounded/held up/in the field of play. Checking grounding is the only thing the bunker does well and adds value.

Also gives an excuse to get rid of captains challenge. CC was brought in to stop howler decisions. I have never seen it used to challenge a howler and is used instead for 50 50 calls and most frequenlty because the penalised player is embarrassed he did a loose carry so to save his embarrasment he wastes a captain challenge. And millions of viewers have to watch that unfold when we all know it is a waste of time to begin with.

Takeaways, it’s hard not to believe in this team assembled by Webby.

Fact, it’s only a month in.

Reality, the team should improve and grow as the season progresses.

But this little fucker in my head keeps reminding me, it’s the Warriors bro!

My fave line from Webby in the post match interview when asked what’s change since last season was along the line of this is a new team so last season is irrelevant.

Ed Kosi, one of the more polarising figures, has been outstanding last 2 games. Never thought I’d say it. Well done young Edward!

Let’s enjoy the ride fellow tragics and EAD Phillip Ronald GOULD 🤪

There was a hugely interesting 'long-read' in the UK Guardian about Premiere League officiating.

A good section of it looked at VAR (the Premiere Leagues Bunker system).

I don't know about Bunkers inner workings but VAR is administered in a completely silent room. No commentary, no crowd noice.

Their criticism is that without the sound it can distort what you are looking at. I would judge the bunker to have similar issues.

His defence is a problem, breaks the line a lot and misses when he comes out a lot, until he fixes that I can't see him being a regular starter in first grade.
I agree! He missed some real sitters 2 from marker where the hooker basically bumped into him.

I feel he is over enthusiastic which leads to him jumping the gun on occasion. You'll notice he misses when it's broken play.

Within the system he is somewhat relaxed but appears to have a eagerness to get up early.

There was a hugely interesting 'long-read' in the UK Guardian about Premiere League officiating.

A good section of it looked at VAR (the Premiere Leagues Bunker system).

I don't know about Bunkers inner workings but VAR is administered in a completely silent room. No commentary, no crowd noice.

Their criticism is that without the sound it can distort what you are looking at. I would judge the bunker to have similar issues.
VAR in the Premier League is a complete and utter embarrassment and an unmitigated failure so far. VAR officials consistently make decisions that are, at best, against the spirit of the game, and at worst, completely ignore the very same decisions they make themselves week after week. Fans and players in the stadium have no idea what’s going on — they aren’t even shown replays — it’s all implemented in the most condescending way possible. The officials themselves are completely beyond rebuke and very rarely explain themselves with the transparency that even Annesley does.

I watch the Premier League every week. I don’t even know what a handball is anymore. This is in a sport called football. Bad as some may feel the Bunker is, they shouldn’t be taking any pointers from what’s happening in the PL.

Strip while two men in the tackle, preventing a try, penalty try under the posts.
Im not sure if the rules have changed, but if everything went our way in this case. Pompey scored the try after the illegal strip and regather. So it should be try awarded playing the advantage, plus a penalty. First conversion from usual try scoring position and then penalty kick from directly in front.

Reactions: bruce
Im not sure if the rules have changed, but if everything went our way in this case. Pompey scored the try after the illegal strip and regather. So it should be try awarded playing the advantage, plus a penalty. First conversion from usual try scoring position and then penalty kick from directly in front.
Get a grip man - that has never been a rule other than for foul play in the act of scoring

I took it as Mahoney chose to engage with Addin Fonua-Blake and wasn’t making any angle towards Shaun Johnson. Think if it was a decoy run it gets pulled up but Shaun Johnson dummied.
Addin Fonua-Blake was in direct line with Shaun Johnson. Mahoney had no choice. From his body language, Addin Fonua-Blake knew what he was doing. But I say it almost balances out Pompey's try that turned into a Fox try instead. That was a momentum changer - , so that

The problem is that many teams are top 4 material. I am worried about our backs in this one. I don't know how many more we can win by defence. I'm hoping Shaun Johnson can continue to wind the clock back because I think most teams don't expect him to run any more.

His newfound running is turning out to be a point of difference. It causes doubt in the defence. If he can continue to build on that, it could be party time.

My whole issue with this is that Shaun Johnson went up to the ref and said 'what was I penalized for', to which the ref said he had his hand on the ball.
Shaun Johnson said to Cappy 'use the review, I did NOT have my hand on the ball'.
Which, technically is correct as his hand wasn't on the ball.
I would have been more than happy had the ref come back and said challenge is correct, he didn't have his hand on the ball however it is still a penalty based on what he has done (Shaun Johnson grabbed his arm which made him drop the ball).

It's daylight robbery that Shaun Johnson clarified that the penalty was hand on the ball, and his hand was NEVER on the ball yet still gets penalized for it!
I hear ya.

Unfortunately straight after telling Johnson the penalty was for a hand on the ball , he instead sent it up to the bunker for "ruck interference from Johnson" which technically it was,,,,,,if he had told Shaun thats what the penalty was for when he asked, they probably wouldnt have challenged it. Ref dudded them there.

Get a grip man - that has never been a rule other than for foul play in the act of scoring
Yeah you are right! My point was that he actually scored the try or got a penalty for the strip. Both penalty try and eight point try require some form of foul play. Which is not really applicable in this situation. 💔

Last edited:
Addin Fonua-Blake was in direct line with Shaun Johnson. Mahoney had no choice. From his body language, Addin Fonua-Blake knew what he was doing. But I say it almost balances out Pompey's try that turned into a Fox try instead. That was a momentum changer - , so that

The problem is that many teams are top 4 material. I am worried about our backs in this one. I don't know how many more we can win by defence. I'm hoping Shaun Johnson can continue to wind the clock back because I think most teams don't expect him to run any more.

His newfound running is turning out to be a point of difference. It causes doubt in the defence. If he can continue to build on that, it could be party time.

Every game is won on defence.