15 B.Afoa C.Nicoll-Klokstad 14
16 E.Katoa E.Guler 15
17 J.Tevaga C.Horsburgh 16
20 R.Berry S.Havili 17
21 K.Evans D.Lui 19

Peewee

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 20, 2020
I think it's good to give him a chance with an experienced half, will make him into a better player next year. Same reason I think it was good he didn't play last week with cht, brownie managing the young guys well!
Look at the 5 "ins" on the team lists. Not a bad list of names.

Reactions: perf warrior

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Anyone else worried about some of our players being suspended for game one next year? I'm terrified of Lodge/Curran picking up more demerits in meaningless games.

Round One is what counts now.

Reactions: Spudstar

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Anyone else worried about some of our players being suspended for game one next year? I'm terrified of Lodge/Curran picking up more demerits in meaningless games.

Round One is what counts now.
Good thoughts and interesting view point
My own thought ever hopeful is as I posted already we will be sweet with suspensions for the rest of the year now we are eliminated unless we do something egregious
Case in point katoa Apparently didn’t even get fined on the weekend despite a flagrant act at the end of the match

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
In terms of the line up
Kane Evans should be playing in this nothing match so we can get a read on him for next year
Mr fold some Kents has hardly any games as a warrior to either prove he was a good investment or alternatively confirm he wasn’t a good pick up
Not enough data points
I hope he really does have a calf injury rather than being dropped

Reactions: Fonzie

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
I want to have a rant and can’t do it in the recruitment thread as you have to stay on topic there

our junior development pathways need a complete overhaul. Chasing the best first rugby union xv candidates is not optimal
They didn’t grow up with rugby league and don’t know the game in their bones. It seems to take such players two seasons if nrl to progress to an acceptable level of competence.

meanwhile the team loses many games because of poor reads they make or poor in game decisions which they would have gotten right if they played league since 7 years old but because they played union they have no idea initially.
For the warriors this issue is compounded by us picking up to 3 blokes in the 17 each week who will come into this category as we value home grown players from any football source.

Wait there is more to come in this rant

I am old and fat now
In my day ( here we go with a in my day rant from an old man ) I was an cricket athlete
I played premier division
Yes I needed a three year adjustment period to cricket first grade before my temperament could handle the pressure

but wasn’t learning the ropes and making rookie errors as I had played since eight years old.

based on my own background I worry about the habit of targeting union players when they will need to adjust to both the pressure of the nrl cauldron and the temperament needed but also learning a code in that environment

if we are going to pick guys from rugby at 16 to 17 years old then two years in sg ball isn’t enough. They need an apprenticeship in reserve grade for two to three years minimum.
Katoa and star athletes like him should not be rushed in. He should not have played nrl last year or maybe even this year

ideally we need to pump up rugby league in high schools as many schools only have union and the warriors need to overtly prefer picking high school league players vs star first Xv converts

rant over

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I want to have a rant and can’t do it in the recruitment thread as you have to stay on topic there

our junior development pathways need a complete overhaul. Chasing the best first rugby union xv candidates is not optimal
They didn’t grow up with rugby league and don’t know the game in their bones. It seems to take such players two seasons if nrl to progress to an acceptable level of competence.

meanwhile the team loses many games because of poor reads they make or poor in game decisions which they would have gotten right if they played league since 7 years old but because they played union they have no idea initially.
For the warriors this issue is compounded by us picking up to 3 blokes in the 17 each week who will come into this category as we value home grown players from any football source.

I am old and fat now
In my day ( here we go with a in my day rant from an old man ) I was an cricket athlete
Yes I needed a three year adjustment period to cricket first grade before my temperament could handle the pressure

but wasn’t learning the ropes and making rookie errors as I had played since eight years old.

based on my own background I worry about the habit of targeting union players when they will need to adjust to both the pressure of the nrl cauldron and the temperament needed but also learning a code in that environment

if we are going to pick guys from rugby at 16 to 17 years old then two years in sg ball isn’t enough. They need an apprenticeship in reserve grade for two to three years minimum.
Katoa and star athletes like him should not be rushed in. He should not have played nrl last year or maybe even this year

ideally we need to pump up rugby league in high schools as many schools only have union and the warriors need to overtly prefer picking high school league players vs star first Xv converts

rant over
I don't understand why we don't get more players from the league areas in New Zealand? Northland has had some good talent come from up those ways, also Christchurch and wellington. We do get a hell of a lot of rugby converts. (Berry Does look the good though).

hoolioh

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2016
Hamz

I am old and fat now

rant over
All the good leauge boys are playing rugby even the ones already tied to the nrl clubs. Im sure they tell them to keep playing first 15 an to stay away from the local league comps. Shes pretty feral down there mate

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Really? You think some of the dumb shit we've done to lose matches this year is down to the 2 or 3 union bred boys?

Unfortunately we have guys that have played the game since they were 7 years old and are the main culprits in doing the dumbest shit ever......always have.

Fact of the matter is the top tier first 15 comp and NZ junior rep rugby is so far ahead of its counterpart junior league these kids are already a step ahead development wise.......why do you think Peter Osullivan and every NRL clubs send scouts to just about every tier 1 schoolboy game.

Your not wrong tho, junior league development is in dire need of an overhaul.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

I am old and fat now

rant over
The short and basic answer to that is there is no talent in high school rugby league comps. That’s why we don’t recruit from there anymore.

First XV rugby competitions are we have been and should continue to recruit from. Australian NRL clubs also target first XV comps over high school rugby league when recruiting in NZ.

Reactions: CHURCUZ and Wrighty

WA supporter

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 18, 2017
Perth

They didn’t grow up with rugby league and don’t know the game in their bones.

meanwhile the team loses many games because of poor reads they make or poor in game decisions which they would have gotten right if they played league since 7 years old but because they played union they have no idea
S Mannering,T Harris,M Ridge,C Innes,J McCrakken,M O’Connor,B Kennedy,M Cronin,J Davies all ex union players. J Tevaga,S Kata(played league for 10 plus years),K Maumalo. I know which players I would choose first. I know league isn’t your background,so you probably wouldn’t remember G Lowe whilst coaching Manly back in the day would come over and swoop on young union players,along with other Sydney sides. It’s was a big joke in league circles. That went on for several years and basically set the foundation for yawnion to go openly professional. Union players make better league players IMO than vice versa. With the exception of M Rodgers,A Walker,L Tuquri,W Sailor,I Folau and of course SBW. I first played league in ‘74 for North Shore Albion. Even then we were pariahs Yawnion Cricket Soccer and Netball were and still are the be all and end all of NZ sport

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
Lodge will get to play both final games guaranteed without suspension now that we are eliminated.
You haven't heard the news? 😆
warriors.jpg

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Aha! I found a rugby league thread!! Squished down by corruption in the NSW police force, Joe Biden Coronavirus, NZ Politics, Covid Poll, Is this the twilight of democracy, music discussion, Burnt toast images in the shape of famous WWII conscientious objectors etc...but I found it!!

The BroncosHQ supporters that pop in to look at their banner must be hella confused!

These look pretty evenly matched on paper. It feels as if the Raiders window is closing. Could be a few years of mediocrity for them again now, which is a shame. The Brit strategy seemed a good one.

The short turnaround is brutal.

...and for 30 seconds a league thread heads to the top of the feed.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings