General Round 23: Super Saturday

Ryno_old

IM soo stoked we got the 2 points!

And now we are 2 points off the Dragons (1 game in hand) and the cowboys!

one-eyed-warrior_old

Tripple header triple winners , new Zealand warriors rlfc, a club on the rise :), wish I was there

Northern_Union

Piss poor match as far as a casual fan went. Glad we got the win in the end though.

scottyb_old

Piss poor match as far as a casual fan went. Glad we got the win in the end though.
I hope you are not referring to yourself NU, you've got nearly 17000 posts. If you are a casual fan i'd hate to see how many posts you'd have if you actually loved the Warriors lol.
I enjoyed the game, it wasn't perfect but we stayed in it for the whole 80. Both teams had everything to play for and at the end of the day we were the ones walking away happy. Good on the boy's they should be happy with tonights result.

Northern_Union

lol nah i've invested far to much time and passion in the team over the years to be called a casual fan.

mrblonde_old

TBPH, our second half "Let's get off our lazy arses" performance lifted us as it usually does. We've very rarely put in a full 80M performance ie leading at HT and gone on to win by a greater margin at FT.

4-12 HT, I woesn't overly worried - I had a feeling the Knights had thrown everything at us and didn't have much left.

How bloody good is our scrambling defence? We must be well up there in the total missed tackle count but to go another 40-something minutes without conceding a point....damn, damn good.

Every weekend I say "if we miss that many tackles against so-and-so we'll get our arses kicked" and we somehow get away with it....

Fazz_old

It's quite odd. We miss so many tackles, yet our defense when it comes to leaking points is generally very good. We've only been hammered once this year, that was a top 4 side too.

scottyb_old

Our last 20 minutes for and against is awesome, if it wasn't for the Tigers blitzing us in round 14 there hasnt been too many teams that have won the last quarter. Our defence is holding us in good stead.

Spence_old

It's quite odd. We miss so many tackles, yet our defense when it comes to leaking points is generally very good. We've only been hammered once this year, that was a top 4 side too.

Cleary said it best pre-match, missed tackles stats are misleading. They don't always correlate to points conceded.

RobRoyMcCoy_old

Coaching comparison

I though that Ivan out coached Stone last night. Giving Ukuma the hook after that punch and his half time team talk Vs Stone not taking the 2 points when they had a chance to level and no short kick off when 8 points down.

Fazz_old

Cleary said it best pre-match, missed tackles stats are misleading. They don't always correlate to points conceded.

Oh yeah I fully agree, it just seems a little strange. I guess it's the mark of a strong defensive team though. If an individual fails, then the rest of the team is there to fix the problem in most cases. I reckon if Ivan had 2 true centres in the team we'd be right near the top of the table for defense as the usually the only times we seem to get burnt is by pace out wide.

Spence_old

What did everyone think of Johnson's defence on the weekend? Still missing a few tackles, but he made a nice one on one tackle and while he didn't complete the tackle, he stopped Uate in open space when he was looking dangerous.

I think he's improving, somewhat.

Northern_Union

A lot of our missed tackles come from the sharp shooter approach of sending a man up out of the line one of the ruck to try and stifle the attack of the opposition. That man will offen mis the first tackle but will achieve his goal of shutting down the attack. We also have a very good scramble defense.

RobRoyMcCoy_old

What did everyone think of Johnson's defence on the weekend? Still missing a few tackles, but he made a nice one on one tackle and while he didn't complete the tackle, he stopped Uate in open space when he was looking dangerous.

I think he's improving, somewhat.

I agree. Considering he as marking the Mad Dog quite often I think he did OK and he does seem to be improving.

Fazz_old

He's on the up for sure. He isn't getting burnt as badly as I thought he would. He hasn't had huge pressure put on him by say a Dave Taylor yet. Hopefully his work with Tai'ai will help him when that happens. I think by the end of next year his D will be fine.

I noticed that one on one tackle too, it was an important one. Must have done wonders for his confidence.

sebastian_old

A lot of our missed tackles come from the sharp shooter approach of sending a man up out of the line one of the ruck to try and stifle the attack of the opposition. That man will offen mis the first tackle but will achieve his goal of shutting down the attack. We also have a very good scramble defense.

Interesting NU. Explains a lot, actually.