Post Match Round 22: Seagles Beat Warriors 27-12

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Geez there is some doom and gloom in here this week. The way the referrees let Manly control the ruck speed had a massive influence on why we werent in the game for the first 30 minutes, which always takes its toll at the end. They had 10 errors, yet 63% of the ball, that is ridiculous. People look for the obvious things when blaming the referees, but we got screwed in the tackle yesterday, second efforts after held and Manly leaving early with "excellent line speed" aka they were leaving 2 steps before the ball had been played on numerous occasions, it was another classic example of the Warriors receiving 1 penalty in the first 60 mins when Manly usually give away about 8 - 10 a game.

The Dogs will beat the Titans tonight, and then the Raiders next week, and after we return the favour to Penrith we will be in 8th and everyone will have forgotten this game.

Mate they looked lethargic from the first play the ball. Manly made 1480m in comparison to Warriors 1080m. Manly were making ridiculously easy metres in the middle standing in the tackle and offloading while Warriors were getting bent backwards and dragged on the ground holding a leg or piggie backed. Warriors pack were barely moving up field, no decent leg drive. No support runners *cough cough Kevin Locke* when a rare opportunity presented itself.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Mate they looked lethargic from the first play the ball. Manly made 1480m in comparison to Warriors 1080m. Manly were making ridiculously easy metres in the middle standing in the tackle and offloading while Warriors were getting bent backwards and dragged on the ground holding a leg or piggie backed. Warriors pack were barely moving up field, no decent leg drive. No support runners *cough cough Kevin Locke* when a rare opportunity presented itself.
Is it just me or does EVERY team make easy metres up the middle against us???

It's not just you. Our centre-third defense is very rarely dominant. When I think central defense I just get vision after vision of Friend + Taylor or Lowrie getting dragged along while clinging to massive opposition forwards.

It shouldn't be that way. Overall our props aren't huge, but they aren't midgets either. The lack of brutish bench props is compounded by having a pint-size hooker and a smallish, non-dominant lock.

If Sam Lousi and Russell Packer had spent this year healthy and in first grade, we could be going quite differently imho. It sucks that the only second rower and prop with a point of difference (size and aggro) have barely played first grade!

Potential pipe dream if things had been different:

6 Siejka / Godinet
7 Johnson
8 Package
9 Leuluai
10 Lillyman
11 Mateo
12 Henry
13 Mannering

14 Lousi
15 Matulino
16 Rapira
17 Matagi

Not just you mate, they mostly do. Every now and then the Warriors backs make the metres look pretty good and take the heat off the pack but mostly the pack gets run over the top of and pushed backward carting the ball especially right down the middle. Hurrell, Vatuvei and Laumape seem to be the biggest meter eaters. Imagine if we had normal sized backs, we wouldn't get out our 20.

Lowrie (and now Hinchcliffe) was solid defending at Storm likely because he was defending next too Cameron Smith (who probably could make Maloney and Sandow look like rockstars on D). The Warriors need a bigger unit playing lock ie. Matagi, Mateo or Lillyman. Most clubs have rep players playing in the lock position highlighting the importance in getting that right in the modern game. Look around the grounds. Parker, Burgess, Merrin, Gallen, Lewis(previously), Harrison, Stewart, Eastwood, J.Smith, Manu, Cordner, Fensom, T.Harris = it's not a coincidence they are all rep players (or should/will be in the case of Fensom). Aaand at the Warriors..drumbeat please for our non-meter eating, non offloading, general rag-doll loose forwards = Marquee/Lowrie

Last edited:
Manly were just outstanding yesterday, and are hitting semi final intensity. Our Warriors were not bad at all if you look at the scores Manly
have posted on opposition from there last five wins. Just got Blitzed from a team ready for finals footy.
Hope ME has something up his sleeve for our team, our run to make the eight could be achieved with who we are coming up against.
Starting with payback on an out of sorts Penrith at home, Titans away, the Raiders at home which will be our season decider and
then we close off with a trip to the Dragons.
We need to play with more intensity, urgency and be more decisive with the ball in hand, so everyone has to
take responsibility when they get the ball instead of relying on Shaun Johnson,TL and Feleti to create or for Manu, Konrad and Ngani
to steamroll and leave a path of destruction behind them.

I watched the Panthers last night against the Cowboys and their big forwards will carve us up, also they never stopped trying right till the end.
Their fitness and intensity will test us as our forwards are
1. Too slow in the tackle
2. Dont know how to put three into the tackle and slow them down
3. Dont move up quick enough on defence
4. Dont dominate the other pack
5. very rarely bust the line
I could go on but am looking forward to having Packer back and if he is fit we should start to roll again, we have sorely missed him and were winning games when he was on.
Well said, Panthers are my number two team due to the fact my local team are Panthers ,LOL. So I always watch them. Never
looked at it from your view due to the Thurston show. Thanks for the eye opener, should of seen it like you being a Panther myself.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Warriors vs Manly Rnd 22 match summary & player stats.png

Warriors vs Manly Rnd 22 match detail, best, where & when stats.png

Last edited:
It all starts up front for me and our pack has been mud the last few weeks, it's no use getting up for big games against the Storm then getting complacent against sides we don't give due respect, we haven't been able to stay in the grind and we've got owned, rat shit.

Apart from Mannering who's been outstanding the rest of our forward pack might as well play Fox memorial, Brenton Lawrence showed huge determination and leg drive with his ball carries just the simple things done extremely well while our props looked sluggish and disinterested, Sam Rapira has fallen away big time, Matulino has been inconsistent while Matagi's still a bit green for top grade, gets stopped in his tracks quite easily.

Another player still making schoolboy misreads is Vatuvei, has to be the slowest turn and chase player we've ever had, I know Manu does a lot of good things but he also makes huge and costly blunders just not good enough for top grade, puts our boys under unnecessary pressure, the whole team needs to take a good look at themselves because all that good work since the Penrith loss has come unstuck recently and that's hugely dissapointing, from a possible finals threat team back to clueless wonders, gutting loss.

I might be wrong, but I think its culture shock that's causing our boys to cycle in and out of form so drastically.

The boys have to conform to two different cultures at the same time and nobody has figured out how to do this yet.

In NZ if you get the top job you have to "back it up", and if you fail to "back it up", even once, you get the hatred of the fans.... In Aus, if you are on top, you have to act working class and not make people feel small, otherwise you get publicly ridiculed by the refs....

So in short, don't put your hand up unless you can do the fucken job, and if you can do the fucken job don't act like a fucken snob...

Two simple rules that will allow the Kiwi based NRL player to live happily ever after...
Sesame Street was brought to you today by the phrases "culture shock" and "snobs".

I believe last week it was "self-sabotage" and "positive fans".

I think your grasping at straws. There is no culture shock. NZ and Aus are not much different. We are not talking about some foreign-speaking country half way round the world, here. Kiwis thrive in the Australian culture, and vice versa.
I think Kiwi's living in Australia thrive in Australia, but Kiwi's living in NZ hopping across the ditch every other weekend to play foot ball go through some amazing form reversals that Australian teams don't seem to suffer from. What's behind that then? Why were the boys so good against Melbourne and so bad against Manly? Did they start acting superior, something which 'all' Australians take as a massive insult?
Sorry, you're confusing me. Where has this new conspiracy theory that our boys are insulting the Aussies come from? Last week it was self-sabotage and crowd negativity that defeted us, and now it is culture shock and snobbery. I don't understand how you make these leaps. I don't see where we could have possibly acted superior. We were being dominated from the outset.

They lost because they didn't put in the work required to win.

Sesame Street was brought to you today by the phrases "culture shock" and "snobs".

I believe last week it was "self-sabotage" and "positive fans".

I think your grasping at straws. There is no culture shock. NZ and Aus are not much different. We are not talking about some foreign-speaking country half way round the world, here. Kiwis thrive in the Australian culture, and vice versa.
I think Kiwi's living in Australia thrive in Australia, but Kiwi's living in NZ hopping across the ditch every other weekend to play foot ball go through some amazing form reversals that Australian teams don't seem to suffer from. What's behind that then? Why were the boys so good against Melbourne and so bad against Manly? Did they start acting superior, something which 'all' Australians take as a massive insult?
Sorry, you're confusing me. Where has this new conspiracy theory that our boys are insulting the Aussies come from? Last week it was self-sabotage and crowd negativity that defeted us, and now it is culture shock and snobbery. I don't understand how you make these leaps. I don't see where we could have possibly acted superior. We were being dominated from the outset.

Why didn't they put the work in required to win?

Because Manly didn't allow them to...

Are you wanting me to say because they were snobs, or perhaps it was culture shock?

The only people that know why they didn't do what was required are the players themselves.

Danpatmac

Because Manly didn't allow them to...

so why did they allow manly to not allow them to?

Are you wanting me to say because they were snobs, or perhaps it was culture shock?

The only people that know why they didn't do what was required are the players themselves.
I think it was lack of humility pure and simple... They've demonstrated that they can match Manly (by beating Manly). But it took suffering a massive, humbling, loss to the panthers to get them in the right frame of mind to play their best footy...

I might be wrong, but that's how I see it. Mr Riddle.

I might or might not be able to give some insight to our boys (nz male mentality) IF i have anything in common with the typical NZ male.
I do brazilian jiu jitsu. We have 2 hour classes 45 min of teaching then the rest is rolling (wrestling whatever you wanna call it) with your fellow students, its semi competitive but it depends how you look at it, we roll for 5 min and then its time up. Npw me, im not too much of a competitive guy and this is where i may relate to others and maybe even the warriors. Getting good grips on the other guys gi (kimono) is essential to being able to establish a dominant position. If they get grips you need to break them and try and establish your own. I almost always when rolling with someone who is better than me allow them to get their grips, i dont know why but im alway reacting to what they decide to do to me, so he might use his grips to get me in a dominant position, its usually then that i decide to react and figure out a way to escape but many times by then it will be too late and i will have to tap or simply survive. Now when there are times when i gain a dominant position, i honestly dont want to submit him, i dont know i feel like i dont deserve to or something, sometimes i actually have forgotten how to so i let them escape.

I have know idea if this relates but heres a go anyway.

So like me, the warriors, other kiwi guys or poly's instead of reacting first and being confident and dominant from the start, like me for some reason wait for the action to come to them then decide to react. This might be how we're better coming from behind, especially back in staceys day they always made a habit of coming from behind.

Like me though sometimes if you think or work that way it may be too late and you cant comeback, time is up and you reacted or woke up too late.

Like me when we are in a dominant position, we feel sorry or dont think we should really put the hammer to the nail and put teams to bed because we feel we're not worthy to do so or maybe were so suppose to respect them more cause we think they are beetter than us.

This may make no sense and could not relate at all to our boys or the warriors culture, anyway ive given you some jiu jitsu principles lol but to me it relates but could be just another crap theory to understand the warriors mental frailties.

Brother Faisal Brother Faisal that example makes perfect sense to me, as it reflects the basic Kiwi sporting mentality. The ultra-competitive, ruthless win-at-all-costs mentality is rare in Kiwi athletes.

But surely most of the Warriors wouldn't have reached that level without it? You'd hope not anyway.

One moment from this season that really stuck with me was Thurston walking away from a try in the Anzac Test, yelling at his team "Keep your foot on their fucking throats" in a particularly violent tone. This is so un-Kiwi it's not funny... and that is a real pity!

Brother Faisal Brother Faisal that example makes perfect sense to me, as it reflects the basic Kiwi sporting mentality. The ultra-competitive, ruthless win-at-all-costs mentality is rare in Kiwi athletes.

But surely most of the Warriors wouldn't have reached that level without it? You'd hope not anyway.

One moment from this season that really stuck with me was Thurston walking away from a try in the Anzac Test, yelling at his team "Keep your foot on their fucking throats" in a particularly violent tone. This is so un-Kiwi it's not funny... and that is a real pity!
Funny that i typically get submitted via a throat choke lol

Reactions: Hitman82

Funny that i typically get submitted via a throat choke lol

Been there, experienced that. And it sucks haha. Enjoy!

Reactions: Brother Faisal