Post Match Round 22: Seagles Beat Warriors 27-12

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
We just seemed to lack intensity from the start. it didnt seem like we were running or tackling hard.
You have nailed it there for the last 2 games.

Was exactly the same against Cronulla last week.

I still think we can win the next 4, but we have put ourselves in a must win situation that we didn't need to be in after the Melbourne game.

Those couple of close early season games are coming back to bite us where it hurts now.

Last edited:
I voted laumape- thought he was good.
Didn't think the boys went too bad- didn't have much luck with the bounce of the ball or the refs- manlys defense kept jumping the gun but they got away with it. Manly are a pretty mean team at full fitness and played quite well.

Reactions: Maraea
I might be wrong, but I think its culture shock that's causing our boys to cycle in and out of form so drastically.

The boys have to conform to two different cultures at the same time and nobody has figured out how to do this yet.

In NZ if you get the top job you have to "back it up", and if you fail to "back it up", even once, you get the hatred of the fans.... In Aus, if you are on top, you have to act working class and not make people feel small, otherwise you get publicly ridiculed by the refs....

So in short, don't put your hand up unless you can do the fucken job, and if you can do the fucken job don't act like a fucken snob...

Two simple rules that will allow the Kiwi based NRL player to live happily ever after...
Sesame Street was brought to you today by the phrases "culture shock" and "snobs".

I believe last week it was "self-sabotage" and "positive fans".

I think your grasping at straws. There is no culture shock. NZ and Aus are not much different. We are not talking about some foreign-speaking country half way round the world, here. Kiwis thrive in the Australian culture, and vice versa.
I think Kiwi's living in Australia thrive in Australia, but Kiwi's living in NZ hopping across the ditch every other weekend to play foot ball go through some amazing form reversals that Australian teams don't seem to suffer from. What's behind that then? Why were the boys so good against Melbourne and so bad against Manly? Did they start acting superior, something which 'all' Australians take as a massive insult?

Maybe it's the equivalent of how some people, when they know they have to do 50 hours worth of study an for an exam that's in 50 days time will do 1 hour a day because they know with certainty that they won't be able to handle the pressure of doing more. Others will goof around until day 40 and suddenly have to do 5 hours a day...

Ie they like the pressure - it might be conscious, it might not. But some people do perform under "need 4 from 4" situations.

Reactions: 95 'til infinity
Maybe it's the equivalent of how some people, when they know they have to do 50 hours worth of study an for an exam that's in 50 days time will do 1 hour a day because they know with certainty that they won't be able to handle the pressure of doing more. Others will goof around until day 40 and suddenly have to do 5 hours a day...

Ie they like the pressure - it might be conscious, it might not. But some people do perform under "need 4 from 4" situations.

I like that perspective...and with that I'm gonna forget all about what's gone on the past two weeks and believe that the roll towards the finals starts this week!:D

Reactions: Xfactor and edd
From my perspective the problem was when the Warriors had the ball there was no depth along with decoy running. They just shovelled the ball from one side to another and Manly marked the dangerous runners and tackled out players like Lowrie and Neilson. They need to come at it from depth, Hurrell showed what he can do but they are relying on individuals to do the damage rather than organised running from depth like Manly.

A little bit of a dethread but we need someone with a good boot in there. TL to hooker. I don't think warriors are going to make the 8 but at least they have got some respect back and there will be plenty to work on especially when players like Bukuyu, Townsend, Louisi, Fisiahi and Tomkins in the mix.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Akkerz

Contributor
Chose Matagi for MOM simply because he was the only one to bend their line. At least Locke tried & that's a positive.

No go forward, no attack, no visable Captain, no concept of action & consequence, no urgency - but not too may worries according to Coach. Shouldn't his bum be squeaking right now.

Lowrie, Johnson, Mateo . None of the players were particularly effective but these three were especially poor or lazy. Don't give a stuff & the team won't suffer in the long term if they are shunted.
Going to get it in the neck for this one I know. Time Manu moved on, it's a fast game & Manu is just too slow.
If this squad went on the market, how many would be picked up. Individually there would be a few- Matulino, Locke, TL. But as a team they are a liability.

How effective will Tomkins & the other new signings be if they are surrounded by the clowns currently in the team?
Warriors - yeah right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Est95

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
From my perspective the problem was when the Warriors had the ball there was no depth along with decoy running. They just shovelled the ball from one side to another and Manly marked the dangerous runners and tackled out players like Lowrie and Neilson. They need to come at it from depth, Hurrell showed what he can do but they are relying on individuals to do the damage rather than organised running from depth like Manly.

A little bit of a dethread but we need someone with a good boot in there. TL to hooker. I don't think warriors are going to make the 8 but at least they have got some respect back and there will be plenty to work on especially when players like Bukuyu, Townsend, Louisi, Fisiahi and Tomkins in the mix.
Agree wholeheartedly. Shaun Johnson is getting stick for some of his plays but all the team do is pass him the ball and sit and wait hoping he'll pull another trick out of his ass and save the day. If you watch the way Manly play they have option after option after option. From the 2nd rowers to the FB to the centres and wingers, everyone is running a line at speed. The one and only time we did that during the game was the set piece off the scrum and we scored a beautiful try off it.

Im starting to get quite concerned about about our last play options. Seems to me that Elliott is going with the tried and true kick it to Manu tactic but with the odd kick it to Hurrell or Ngani just to mix it up. Im not sure whether this is out of Clearys handbook or Elliott is going with the Panthers 2010 handbook but its simply not working. One of the biggest issues is the lack of numbers contesting the ball or players not being aware that the balls going to be kicked full stop (SJs kick to Konnie on the zero tackle after Lockes break beiong a case in point).

Theres little point berating either Shaun Johnson or TL about their kicking game. The fact is they have NEVER had one. Based on that one aspect, a huge one at that, I think Townsend will moonwalk straight into the team next season. If Locke has a kicking game then Im sure we would have seen him utilised a hell of a lot more by now. Godinets got a good grubber. Why hasnt he been given a run???

Shaun Johnson is getting stick for some of his plays but all the team do is pass him the ball and sit and wait hoping he'll pull another trick out of his ass and save the day.

Is this the Shaun Johnson curse - Stacey Jones and now Shaun Johson?

Stacey Jones' third season was in 1997 and I don't think he was anywhere near the top of his game at that stage either (you could make comparisons between the two teams which makes a straight head to head comparison difficult as well as just the two players form in their third years but you can't deny the 1997 Warriors had an easier road to travel with the number of teams - 10 - and quality of some of those teams - Adelaide, Hunter...).

Also, what made Manly good yesterday was that most everyone was "on" - okay, far from perfect but enough of them turned up that it was always going to be a tough game.

One or two players being "on" doesn't cut it. And if someone else's bad game affects the chances of you having a bad game...

Shaun Johnson is getting stick for some of his plays but all the team do is pass him the ball and sit and wait hoping he'll pull another trick out of his ass and save the day. If you watch the way Manly play they have option after option after option. From the 2nd rowers to the FB to the centres and wingers, everyone is running a line at speed. The one and only time we did that during the game was the set piece off the scrum and we scored a beautiful try off it.

Im starting to get quite concerned about about our last play options. Seems to me that Elliott is going with the tried and true kick it to Manu tactic but with the odd kick it to Hurrell or Ngani just to mix it up. Im not sure whether this is out of Clearys handbook or Elliott is going with the Panthers 2010 handbook but its simply not working. One of the biggest issues is the lack of numbers contesting the ball or players not being aware that the balls going to be kicked full stop (SJs kick to Konnie on the zero tackle after Lockes break beiong a case in point).

Theres little point berating either Shaun Johnson or TL about their kicking game. The fact is they have NEVER had one. Based on that one aspect, a huge one at that, I think Townsend will moonwalk straight into the team next season. If Locke has a kicking game then Im sure we would have seen him utilised a hell of a lot more by now. Godinets got a good grubber. Why hasnt he been given a run???

I don't get how the team can't be well drilled on the last tackle. Surely to God, the last tackle options are practiced until the team can do them at the drop of a hat? Either they're not, or the players responsible for making the calls on the last tackle aren't playing their part. Yet again, it appears as if the problem has poor communication at the core.[DOUBLEPOST=1376262131][/DOUBLEPOST]
I swear at one point Elliot only had one prop on the field and was running Taylor, Lowrie, Mateo, Mannering and Peyroux all on at once.
Not defending the decision to do that, but I'm guessing that was an effort to have more mobility in response to our props running at walls of Manly defenders. We should have either had our props passing before the tackle, or just used long passes from dummy half to help nullify the up-in-your-face defensive style.

Manly were just outstanding yesterday, and are hitting semi final intensity. Our Warriors were not bad at all if you look at the scores Manly
have posted on opposition from there last five wins. Just got Blitzed from a team ready for finals footy.
Hope ME has something up his sleeve for our team, our run to make the eight could be achieved with who we are coming up against.
Starting with payback on an out of sorts Penrith at home, Titans away, the Raiders at home which will be our season decider and
then we close off with a trip to the Dragons.
We need to play with more intensity, urgency and be more decisive with the ball in hand, so everyone has to
take responsibility when they get the ball instead of relying on Shaun Johnson,TL and Feleti to create or for Manu, Konrad and Ngani
to steamroll and leave a path of destruction behind them.

Reactions: fizurg
Why is Mannering getting so many votes? Is the just the go to when people don't know who to pick? He didn't have anywhere NEAR a MOM performance.

Elliots use of the bench was fuckin criminal. He always does that shit in the second half, but man how could he justify it in that game? We looked like we were gaining some ascendancy when Watmough went off, but in the second we start running with 1 prop....against a side with the line speed Manly were posing. WTF.

I gave Johnson a bit of a ribbing in the other thread for his silly kick, but I don't see why so many people are laying into him so much. What do you expect him to be able to do when our forwards are getting obliterated? Again Johnson and Hurrell looked like our only x-factor to be able to win us the game somehow. It simply can't just rest on their shoulders though. Don't blame Johnson for being the guy to try and step up but ultimately failing; blame the guys who were invisible and rolled over for Manly.

Geez there is some doom and gloom in here this week. The way the referrees let Manly control the ruck speed had a massive influence on why we werent in the game for the first 30 minutes, which always takes its toll at the end. They had 10 errors, yet 63% of the ball, that is ridiculous. People look for the obvious things when blaming the referees, but we got screwed in the tackle yesterday, second efforts after held and Manly leaving early with "excellent line speed" aka they were leaving 2 steps before the ball had been played on numerous occasions, it was another classic example of the Warriors receiving 1 penalty in the first 60 mins when Manly usually give away about 8 - 10 a game.

The Dogs will beat the Titans tonight, and then the Raiders next week, and after we return the favour to Penrith we will be in 8th and everyone will have forgotten this game.

Manly were just outstanding yesterday, and are hitting semi final intensity. Our Warriors were not bad at all if you look at the scores Manly
have posted on opposition from there last five wins. Just got Blitzed from a team ready for finals footy.
Hope ME has something up his sleeve for our team, our run to make the eight could be achieved with who we are coming up against.
Starting with payback on an out of sorts Penrith at home, Titans away, the Raiders at home which will be our season decider and
then we close off with a trip to the Dragons.
We need to play with more intensity, urgency and be more decisive with the ball in hand, so everyone has to
take responsibility when they get the ball instead of relying on Shaun Johnson,TL and Feleti to create or for Manu, Konrad and Ngani
to steamroll and leave a path of destruction behind them.

I watched the Panthers last night against the Cowboys and their big forwards will carve us up, also they never stopped trying right till the end.
Their fitness and intensity will test us as our forwards are
1. Too slow in the tackle
2. Dont know how to put three into the tackle and slow them down
3. Dont move up quick enough on defence
4. Dont dominate the other pack
5. very rarely bust the line
I could go on but am looking forward to having Packer back and if he is fit we should start to roll again, we have sorely missed him and were winning games when he was on.

Reactions: Weno and Hitman82
Geez there is some doom and gloom in here this week. The way the referrees let Manly control the ruck speed had a massive influence on why we werent in the game for the first 30 minutes, which always takes its toll at the end. They had 10 errors, yet 63% of the ball, that is ridiculous. People look for the obvious things when blaming the referees, but we got screwed in the tackle yesterday, second efforts after held and Manly leaving early with "excellent line speed" aka they were leaving 2 steps before the ball had been played on numerous occasions, it was another classic example of the Warriors receiving 1 penalty in the first 60 mins when Manly usually give away about 8 - 10 a game.

The Dogs will beat the Titans tonight, and then the Raiders next week, and after we return the favour to Penrith we will be in 8th and everyone will have forgotten this game.
We may have got screwed on penalties, but I don't know of any coaching manual that advises constantly insulting the refs... Maybe Captain should learn some manners, that is his name after all...

We looked flat right from the start just like the Sharks game, credit to Manly, they are a quality team and on a winning streak. No Horo and when fish head went off injured I thought we might fight our way into the game but no intensity at all, it was like a training run. Had a chance to pull it back and go into half-time even but squandered it and no-one looked like putting their hand up.

Positives : Well executed play off set piece
Negatives : Fowards stats and general presence

We seem to win games in clumps and unfortunately lose them in the same manner but if the boys can't get up for a home game against a team that put 60+ on them, hand in your jersey at the end of the game

Reactions: Est95 and Xfactor

Agree wholeheartedly. Shaun Johnson is getting stick for some of his plays but all the team do is pass him the ball and sit and wait hoping he'll pull another trick out of his ass and save the day. If you watch the way Manly play they have option after option after option. From the 2nd rowers to the FB to the centres and wingers, everyone is running a line at speed. The one and only time we did that during the game was the set piece off the scrum and we scored a beautiful try off it.

No way I'm slagging off Shaun Johnson either bro, he does get thrown the ball and guys stand back and wait for him to waltz under the posts. He has unreal skills but sometimes execution can let him down and we get too desperate to score of the play/breakaway. If that kick had pulled up and we scored, he'd be hailed. It went out and he gets mugged off, it was 1st or 2nd tackle? A more experienced player might have evaluated the game situation and waited 2 plays to score and even dear I say it force a drop out and have a repeat set if we couldn't barge over

He's in the "superstar" role where he is taking the cred when we win but ALOT of shit when we lose.......I thought a big pay check came with these responsibilities??