Votes: 32 34.0%
  • B

Votes: 35 37.2%
  • C

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • F-

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Just done the ladder predictor. We can still make the 8 if we win every single remaining game 😂😂

😭😭 Never again. I remember the disappointment and denial right till the Titans game last year 😅.
We could slip in with 7 wins from 8 and a good points differential, so would probably need to win a game or two by a big margin.
Like last season we have the Titans again at the end so maybe we target that game to win by 70.

I was at the game yesterday as well. My first warriors home game there since I left Auckland at the end of 2016 and gave up my membership.

Some general thoughts:
Lines for the food & drinks were crazy - took a lot longer to get served than at Eden Park the night before.
Security - 5 pitch invaders... 3 of them ran way too far. Red badge need to up their game.
Atmosphere was amazing, but I think some people got a little carried away by the drinking (don't get me wrong, I am not anti-alcohol at the least, but one guy nearish to us took off his shirt and skulled 5 cans in short order... not the behaviour we really want to be idolising). hopefully some of this was just first game back...

Game thoughts:
Warriors played well, but were lacking fluency on attack. With that much ball and territory, we should have scored a lot more points. Tigers were pretty bad tbh.

Ref was holding a pretty decent 10 for most of the game, more like 12ish metres on average, but he was consistent.

Chanel Harris-Tavita was good at fullback but was standing very deep (at times 40 metres behind the d line). In comparison, the tigers fullback was 20-25m behind the line. I was genuinely surprised the tigers didn't look to attack that space.

Aitken & Curran were epic defensively. They both got through a mountain of work, covered their halves and shut shit down. Volkman and Johnson also made a lot of tackles. Johnson's tackling has been criticised in the past (including by me), and yes he wasn't tackling with his shoulders - but he was doing a pretty good job of tackling yesterday. Maumalo seemed to be targetting Shaun Johnson in the line...

Volkman has been well drilled. Plays the ball super quick.

Forwards did their job.

Good return home.
Shaun Johnson did a great job on maumalo- he was getting up quickly and making first contact the majority of the time- really nullified him.
Will always have a soft spot for ken after the way he left the club and I’m sure he would’ve loved to be wearing our colors yesterday but Dallin Watene-Zelezniak made him look like a bit of a plodder.

Will always have a soft spot for ken after the way he left the club and I’m sure he would’ve loved to be wearing our colors yesterday but Dallin Watene-Zelezniak made him look like a bit of a plodder.
Not sure I’d class 18 runs for 184m (95m post contact) as a bit of a plodder. No kick return metres recorded in those stats either. Ken had a good game.

Compared to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 16 runs for 157m (70m post contact) with 39m being from kick returns.

Not sure I’d class 18 runs for 184m (95m post contact) as a bit of a plodder. No kick return metres recorded in those stats either. Ken had a good game.

Compared to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 16 runs for 157m (70m post contact) with 39m being from kick returns.
Yeah kinda surprised by those stats but not really.
Ken always works hard but the eye test would say he wasnt able to generate any momentum- if u dig a bit deeper- 1 tackle break and an ave ptb speed of 4.2 secs... by contrast Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3 tackle breaks, ave ptb speed 3.2 sec ( a whole second faster) and a try assist to boot- he got the lollies this time around.
I was a bit worried about Dallin Watene-Zelezniak after seeing how emotional he was in the sheds- thought there might be some errors coming but they never did and thats the difference between a bad game and a good game for him.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
waited till now to comment.
To much hype after that game to make a sensible statement

That was a C performance by the warriors and a D performance by the Tigers

Loved the energy,
Loved seeing Shaun Johnson brighten up as he ran onto the field. The joy in his face as the fans went nuts was brilliant to see.
The Team tried too hard to create instant success for the first 1/4 of the game.
Addin Fonua-Blake made an immediate impact on his entry on to the pitch and the team settled. But more importantly it suddenly looked like they had more options on both sides.
Want to underscore it was easy to see how much effort went into defence by the warriors, However it was really the Tigger's that blew their chances that kept it scoreless.
Don't forget they were playing a team in freefall, at home. They had all the advantages. First half result was acceptable.
Current score was a C
Second Half they let the Tigers dominate for at least half of the half and were lucky the Tigers on attack were worse than the warriors.
Last quarter the Tigers ran out of puff allowing the warriors to win

Love the win but still a C performance.

But things to take away from that game.
Pride in the Jumper. Visible
Effort from the whole team. Visible
Respect from the fans. Earned
questions about the effectiveness of the coaching staff.

If they can repeat that performance again, calm a little at the start of the game and not let the moment get to them. They will very quickly move to a B performance.

hope everyone who went to the game had a great night out.
(now to go read all the comments)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there was much fan fare for Bunty Afoa on Sunday? I saw he got a mention over the PA at the ground but wasn't up front with the captain when they ran out.

No mention by Stacy in the presser either. Just my observation but it's the little things that can go a long way.

Reactions: Defence and kos

gREVUS

Contributor
There was a palpable nervousness in the first 20 which we only really got away from in the second half - could have been completely different game if Chanel Harris-Tavita hadn't fallen over Egan's trailing foot when he made that break up the middle in the first five minutes. If Chanel Harris-Tavita had stayed up that was a certain try - instead the next scoring movement was the penalty (prior to that the disputed Egan touchdown, which I genuinely think he got... bunker call on that was dubious to the degree that both teams and the on field ref returned to the 20 for a restart indicating that Egan was in fact over the line, until the bunker had a word again and said 'go back, i called that as short of the chalk...') ... anyway, it so great to see a game live, it really is a different thing from the TV coverage ... you get a better sense of the long game... and yeah, the Tigers were never ever in it ... and we just had that aching performance anxiety - credit to Johnson for holding the collective nerves .... was great to watch... no, we are not a shit team - we do have a bit of ptsd tho...
Actually think he didnt get it at the time, but once the Ref called it as a try the bunker had no evidence to overturn it. The bunker is assuming their role is to find errors and overturn calls and in so doing somehow ignore the rules of the game. It also allows them to introduce bias by when they look and how hard.

Does anyone know if there was much fan fare for Bunty Afoa on Sunday? I saw he got a mention over the PA at the ground but wasn't up front with the captain when they ran out.

No mention by Stacy in the presser either. Just my observation but it's the little things that can go a long way.
Yes. At the ground the announcer made a huge deal of it whenever he could. He was calling him "Mr 100". There were a few sections of the crowd with massive banners congratulating Bunty for 100 games as well.

gREVUS

Contributor
A really good performance. You could see those little things still not coming off which often happens when you are losing (i.e Chanel tripping over). Keep the effort there and it will come. Just watch the cowboys, they turn up every week and now everything they touch is turning to gold. There is real meaning to the term you create your own luck.
the harder you work, the luckier you are.

gREVUS

Contributor
Thought we got the rub of the green overall, but yeah u have a good point.
Still can't see what the problem with the massive hit on Curran was.
Commentators claimed the penalty was for an earlier hit mind.
Concerns me the NRL has been penalizing good hits for tackling too 'hard'.
that penalty was for the late hit right at the start of the play, i think, he was playing advantage. But im really not impressed with the current interpretation of the advantage rule atm. even if if did fall in our favour. 10m or a pass will do me everytime.

Reactions: Defence and Sup42

gREVUS

Contributor
No one says we are world beaters yet. But the effort and the execution yesterday were MILES better than what we have produced all year.

I saw heart and we looked like a proper football team.

Being at home helps big time. You try living in a hotel room for three years without a place to call home and see how it stuffs you mentally.

This is another step for us. It just feels like we have turned a corner.
not sure they have turned a corner, but at least they seem ready to acknowledge that there is one coming up and they better start shifting if they want to make it.

gREVUS

Contributor
Shaun Johnson did a great job on maumalo- he was getting up quickly and making first contact the majority of the time- really nullified him.
IMO Ken showed why the warriors let him go. Great with ball in hand running forward. Some good tackles. But no footwork, no ability to turn and chase. Hes defn not one who got away, but one who needed to move on. Pity its to a place where they seem happy with what he has to offer, rather than pushing him on to greatness.

gREVUS

Contributor
Oh hey that wasnt to bad, got through the 8 pages pretty quick. If you ignore all the posts about pitch invaders and shoe'es it would have gone even faster.

BTW both imo are a blight on the game. Just like that idiot who paints his face and wants to be in every shot every week. IMO, its not about them as individuals. so dont make them into celebrities. Its about the team and the fans overall, would rather see more shots like the one of the kid holding the flag, sticking his tongue out and trying to look buff. Or show them once then move on to someone else. And clear out the row below the warriors coaching box so the coach doesnt have to look at dickheads heads all game.

Reactions: tajhay
IMO Ken showed why the warriors let him go. Great with ball in hand running forward. Some good tackles. But no footwork, no ability to turn and chase. Hes defn not one who got away, but one who needed to move on. Pity its to a place where they seem happy with what he has to offer, rather than pushing him on to greatness.
I would have liked to have seen ken moved into the middle.

I could easily imagine Ken being a top player were he reared in a top system.

When the Warriors started getting him good ball he scored plenty of trys.

His development was largely marred by ball starvation outside Kata and on a generally right edge focused one eyed team, and by being used as Prop.

He is a better player than what we saw, he has been improving under different coaching, but it has come far too late.

He would have been a fantastic forward if that was his only focus.

He has heart, power and speed to make a top forward, you would only need to teach him tackling with his shoulder and he would be a weapon.