NRL 2016 - Rnd 5 - Roosters vs Warriors Gameday Chatter
Roosters v Warriors: Schick Preview
Thu 31 Mar, 2016, 8:45am
By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent , NRL.com
image.ashx

Schick Hydro Preview: Sydney Roosters v Warriors
Central Coast Stadium
Sunday, 2:00PM AEDT

Last weekend the Warriors ended an eight-month losing streak in the NRL Telstra Premiership, but on Sunday face off with the very team who started that winless period for them back in Round 19 last year.

The Roosters are now left as the only team in the league without a competition point so far in 2016, after the Warriors crushed the Knights 40-18 last Monday to get on the board.

The Bondi outfit meanwhile were left frustrated by a 22-20 loss to Manly at Allianz Stadium and head into Round 5 with the NRL's second-worst attack and defence.

But coach Trent Robinson has resisted the urge to tamper with his side, naming the same 17 with the only slight adjustment seeing Jayden Nikorima named at five-eighth and Aidan Guerra in the second-row, after the latter played standoff last week and Nikorima started from the bench.

Unsurprisingly the Warriors have stuck to the formula which finally seemed to click for them in the second half against Newcastle.

Centre Solomone Kata was on crutches by the end of last week's game with a bad cork but should be fit to play, while prop Jacob Lillyman will play his 150th game for the Warriors since joining the club in 2009.

Watch out Roosters: This is the worst start to a season since 2007 for the Roosters, and they have been worryingly stagnant in attack across the first month. Averaging just 12.5 points per game, the Roosters also sit in the bottom four teams for total run metres and line breaks. Only the Dragons have scored less than the Roosters' 50 points so far.

In their last three games the Warriors have been improving in attack, culminating in last week's 40-point rout of the Knights. Running for 1554 metres, making six line breaks and scoring seven tries will have the Kiwi side feeling confident in their ability with the ball, which might be problematic for the Roosters this week.

Watch out Warriors: The Warriors are notoriously slow starters in 2016 and haven't won a single first half yet. They trailed the Tigers, Broncos and Storm and after a clumsy opening 40 minutes against the Knights went into the sheds tied at 12-12. If a team hits them hard during that period it might be enough to crush their confidence for the rest of the game.

The form guide for the Roosters reads 0-4 and their points difference isn't pretty, but a look at the results will show the Tricolours have lost two of those games by two points or less. When they manage to hold the ball and defend well the only thing stopping the Roosters from victory is some composure in the dying minutes of the game.

Key match-up: Latrell Mitchell v Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. An intriguing match-up immediately given Mitchell now occupies the Roosters custodian spot which Tuivasa-Sheck called his own last season. Across his first four games with the Warriors Tuivasa-Sheck has continued his amazing running numbers from 2015, leading the NRL in run metres at an average of 213.5 per game. While less devastating in the metre-eater category, Mitchell has pace to burn if given space and has high involvement from the back, averaging 22.5 receptions of the ball per game.

The history: Played 35; Roosters 16, Warriors 18, Drawn 1. The Roosters are one of the few teams in the competition who the Warriors have a positive head-to-head record against. But the Chooks have the wood over the Kiwi side in recent times, winning six of their last eight clashes, including three on the trot.

What are the odds: Sportsbet customers are finding this to be the toughest game of the round to pick, with money split evenly between the two sides in head-to-head betting. Very few punters are willing to take either side to win by 13+ and the Roosters are popular receiving the start.

Match officials: Referee: Matt Cecchin. Assistant Referee: Dave Munro. Touch Judges: Ricky McFarlane, Rohan Best. Review Officials: Ben Galea, Jason Robinson. Senior RO: Luke Patten

Televised: Fox Sports – live coverage from 1.30pm AEDT or SS2 4pm NZST

The way we see it:
It is probably fair to expect there could be plenty of points scored in this one, with both teams having their issues defensively so far. The Warriors have most of their top 17 fit, while the Roosters continue to really miss the presence of Boyd Cordner, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Mitchell Pearce. But they came close last week and might just be good enough to get their first win of the year this Sunday. Roosters by four.

https://www.nrl.com/roosters-v-warriors-schick-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/94367/default.aspx

ROOSTERS V WARRIORS - SUN 3 APR, 2PM, CENTRAL COAST

Roosters
1 Latrell Mitchell
2 Daniel Tupou
3 Brendan Elliot
4 Blake Ferguson
5 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6 Jayden Nikorima
7 Jackson Hastings
8 Sam Moa
9 Jake Friend (c)
10 Dylan Napa
11 Mitchell Aubusson
12 Aidan Guerra
13 Sio Siua Taukeiaho

14 Isaac Liu
15 Kane Evans
16 Mitchell Frei
17 Eloni Vunakece
24 Abraham Papalii

Coach: Trent Robinson

The Roosters have named the same 17 men that were edged out by the Sea Eagles, though Jayden Nikorima and Aiden Guerra return to five-eighth and the back row respectively.

Warriors
1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2 Tuimoala Lolohea
3 Blake Ayshford
4 Solomone Kata
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Shaun Johnson
7 Jeff Robson
8 Jacob Lillyman
9 Issac Luke
10 Ben Matulino
11 Simon Mannering
12 Ryan Hoffman (c)
13 Albert Vete

14 Jazz Tevaga
15 Sam Lisone
16 Charlie Gubb
17 Konrad Hurrell

Coach: Andrew McFadden

The Warriors have stuck solid with the same 17 following their first win of the season in Round 4. It will be Jacob Lillyman's 150th game for the Warriors...

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland
Damn daylight saving ending, now we have to wait an extra hour for the game to start. Go the Warriors.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
This is the worst start to a season since 2007 for the Roosters, and they have been worryingly stagnant in attack across the first month. Averaging just 12.5 points per game,
No matter what happens today with our defence that stat will improve for sure.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Haha, had the same thought when the wife reminded me this morning.

All i know is the Roosters are going to destroy someone very soon, i just hope it's not us.
We're letting in less points, scoring more and got reasonably close to Teams One and Two on the ladder at the moment - so I reckon the Roosters by 12 - after all, we are the nice guys of the NRL who like letting other teams play themselves back into form!!

Toopi is King

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
Otorohanga
Reactions: Sup42 and Otto Sump

Jordan G

If we win there's a very good chance we end the round not only one 1 away from top 8, but one win away from top 4.

Maybe it's the 21 seasons of conditioning I've received but this has all the hallmarks of a high hope, big letdown performance. There's just too much to be gained for us to put in one of our best performances.

Hopefully this team has turned the corner.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Here's how I'd rate the season so far:
Preseason vs Dragons: D. To much of last year still showing
Round 1 vs Tigers: C-. Showed improvement in 2nd half but abysmal in 1st.
Round 2 vs Broncos: C. All round average performance, needs to try harder
Round 3 vs Storm: B-. Continues to show signs of improvement but still drifts off task too easily
Round 4 vs Knights: B. Again drifted in the 1st half without any major direction, had a good 10-15 minutes in the second half then lost concentration at the end.
Round 5 vs Rorters: ? Needs to maintain or improve on last week but for whole 80 minutes to improve on B Grade.

Needs to work on:
Defense, line speed and communication. Dominate in tackles and around the ruck - don't let JakeF get easy meters from dummy half.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
All things being equal.....

If a pattern of continued improvement continues....

The Warriors should play hard, and so will the Roosters.

Chooks have the psychological advantage.....same as us playing the knights....we are patsies that should be broken in the first half.

Its their show at their home.

The Warriors two most important players have been grumbling about negative attention in social media in the case of Johnson and with Luke you have the unhappy media circumstance.

Those two are capable of winning the game between them.....they have the opportunity to change their outlook today.

Whether we win today is on the heads of our seniors, not the coach.

If they make smart decisions and attack their problems head on we are in for a good shot.

Robson and Hoffman need simply to up their tackle accuracy.

Coming out hard and fast against the Chooks and holding onto the ball (shouldn't leave out Mannering and his idiot offloads) will set the tone for when our inspirational impact bench guys like Gubb join the Frey.

I could stomach a narrow loss off eighty minutes of effort. That has to be where the bar is set for today....if continued improvement is real.

Reactions: Raurimu Massive

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Source: https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...warriors-gameday-chatter.47926/#ixzz44i2t656t
Follow us: @nzwarriorsfans on Twitter | nzwarriorsfans on Facebook

Last weekend the Warriors ended an eight-month losing streak in the NRL Telstra Premiership, but on Sunday face off with the very team who started that winless period for them back in Round 19 last year.

That is the part that concerns me most!!!
We had that game in the bag last year until Jonathan Wright knocked on in goal when he could have let the ball go dead (a real brain fade), get a seven tackle set, and close the game. My main concern is that last week we were all over the Knights at the start until we had a bunker decision go against us and our intensity went out the door. They piled on 12 unanswered points. That I blame wholly and solely on our four missed tackles skipper.

Toopi is King

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
Otorohanga
All things being equal.....

If a pattern of continued improvement continues....

The Warriors should play hard, and so will the Roosters.

Chooks have the psychological advantage.....same as us playing the knights....we are patsies that should be broken in the first half.

Its their show at their home.

The Warriors two most important players have been grumbling about negative attention in social media in the case of Johnson and with Luke you have the unhappy media circumstance.

Those two are capable of winning the game between them.....they have the opportunity to change their outlook today.

Whether we win today is on the heads of our seniors, not the coach.

If they make smart decisions and attack their problems head on we are in for a good shot.

Robson and Hoffman need simply to up their tackle accuracy.

Coming out hard and fast against the Chooks and holding onto the ball (shouldn't leave out Mannering and his idiot offloads) will set the tone for when our inspirational impact bench guys like Gubb join the Frey.

I could stomach a narrow loss off eighty minutes of effort. That has to be where the bar is set for today....if continued improvement is real.
Maybe I'm a little too demanding, but a narrow win may not cut it for me, unless both teams played great footy, if we win narrowly though and both teams play average then it still leaves to many problems for my liking. All I really want is for the Warriors to play a solid game, and thus doing so we should win by at least 20. Like I said, maybe I'm hoping for too much.

With Manly, Bulldogs, Storm to follow, we really need this win

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Maybe I'm a little too demanding, but a narrow win may not cut it for me, unless both teams played great footy, if we win narrowly though and both teams play average then it still leaves to many problems for my liking. All I really want is for the Warriors to play a solid game, and thus doing so we should win by at least 20. Like I said, maybe I'm hoping for too much.

With Manly, Bulldogs, Storm to follow, we really need this win
I'm expecting the Roosters to play great footy.
Whether they are missing a whole bunch of players or not, they are a proud club, have had the best systems in the NRL and their defence is improving....along with all the other so called weaker sides in the NRL....the clubs are finding their defensive patterns and attitudes....ours is still off.

If the the Warriors win by any margin they will be doing well....this is an ugly banana skin game imo with loss written all over it before the first shot is fired.

The Warriors have deeper problems than their pretty roster on paper portrays.

They are mentally weaker than the rest of the NRL.

Last edited:

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
the warriors supporters bay is sold out. sucks when you buy the tickets the morning of fthe game. in nth west sydney its mildly warm slightly humid. its meant to rain up the coast which to me is a good thing as we aren't dealing with heat .

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
With the team we have on paper, we should win well. Now put the paper into the performance on the field. Saw in the Kata article that he's not lining up against Ferguson. Instead, it's a young fella named Ellliott. True?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings