Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Tried hard and got himself involved which was good.
Conceded a couple of dumb penalties that put his side under pressure and missed the last tackle which lost the game.
Otherwise running was ok, passing was good, tackling pretty good and a couple of positional things he shouldn’t be doing eg going into rucks when forwards are there, jumping into halfbacks spot at the breakdown and picking up the ball.
Sure he will learn but there’s a bit to work on

Reactions: 1 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
He'll make it, probably a bit stretched as an 80 minute starter though. 12 is all about getting on the front foot and he can do that in his sleep

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
His missed tackle at the end there put that game in 5/10 category. He was all effort but too often he was in the middle of something that led to points being conceded. I don’t imagine the coach will be delighted…

Warrior player for life.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

Tried hard and got himself involved which was good.
Conceded a couple of dumb penalties that put his side under pressure and missed the last tackle which lost the game.
Otherwise running was ok, passing was good, tackling pretty good and a couple of positional things he shouldn’t be doing eg going into rucks when forwards are there, jumping into halfbacks spot at the breakdown and picking up the ball.
Sure he will learn but there’s a bit to work on
Doesn’t look out of place in terms of talent. But alot to learn about the game and so has probably left it too late if he wants to crack the World Cup team.

Reactions: 6 users
snake77

snake77

I only caught a bit of it was changing between the league and thought I'd keep a bit of an eye on it to see how he went. Also distracted as our shopping delivery was 2.5-3 hours late. Ended up coming right at the end of the game.

They lost. I saw the Hurricanes got a score with 10 to go and the commentators talked about their last 10 being strong. Saw them score again but there was still a few points in it and a few minutes remaining. Thought it would be safe plus our shopping had finally arrived.

Most of what I saw he was doing a lot off the wall and a lot of clean up work. I didn't seem get the ball much where a 12 would typically get it. A lot of the time when the game was flowing the ball would go around him to everyone else.

Missing the NPC games would of set back his transition a lot. The training is good but the game time would of been more beneficial.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I only caught a bit of it was changing between the league and thought I'd keep a bit of an eye on it to see how he went. Also distracted as our shopping delivery was 2.5-3 hours late. Ended up coming right at the end of the game.

They lost. I saw the Hurricanes got a score with 10 to go and the commentators talked about their last 10 being strong. Saw them score again but there was still a few points in it and a few minutes remaining. Thought it would be safe plus our shopping had finally arrived.

Most of what I saw he was doing a lot off the wall and a lot of clean up work. I didn't seem get the ball much where a 12 would typically get it. A lot of the time when the game was flowing the ball would go around him to everyone else.

Missing the NPC games would of set back his transition a lot. The training is good but the game time would of been more beneficial.
Early on he got himself very involved and had a couple of solid runs, tried to inject himself almost too much at times for example he was picking the ball up from the ruck like you might for a quick play at dummy half instead of the hooker in league but more of a no no in Union when the halfback is there.
Wonder whether he may have been told at half time to stick to his positioning a bit more as he tended to stay out of rucks and position himself a bit better 2nd half

Waipiro

Would you take him back next year if things didn't work out in rugby for him?

He doesn't strike me as a guy who would give up easily but....
At the right price a good pick up for wing....or heaven forbid at fullback if Walsh does move on.

Its a yes for me

• Love
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Would you take him back next year if things didn't work out in rugby for him?

He doesn't strike me as a guy who would give up easily but....
At the right price a good pick up for wing....or heaven forbid at fullback if Walsh does move on.

Its a yes for me
Obviously his goal is to make the ABs and the World Cup squad (2023). If he improves he’d be a chance at the end of year tour wider squad against the likes of an Italy etc. Think he’s left the WC run a bit late though, probably needed a full cycle to get established

Tragic

Tragic

I only saw the 2nd half, what I saw was a bunch of mistakes, a lack of feel for the game ( which makes sense), some great skills but not the right skills at the right time, a major defensive error leading to a try and the Canes getting on the front foot and winning. He is an immensely talented guy but as others have said he hasnt had enough time to be a good rugby player and I dont know what role as a 2nd five he is playing - he isnt a bash through Ma'a Nonu type nor a distributing Mauger type, he has an elusive step which will be great if he can make space and distribute but it wont lead to breaks from 2nd five I dont think. If he doesnt go well this year he will think it is because he didnt get enough game time to grow into the game and might give it another year; so maybe he will be a late 2023 recruit for us.

Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
It’s just game one of the season.

Sounds alittle pre-mature to be judging this early.

Reactions: 1 user
Cces

Cces

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck showed some good signs & displayed glimpses of brilliance. Will he become a better 2nd 5 than Laumape? I have my doubts. His skills are better suited to #13 or a roving #14 so he's probably more likely to make a RWC squad than Ngani was but it could be touch & go with the depth in NZR

Last edited:
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Tbh i think the Umaga - Jensen boys have way higher ceilings as mid fielders and the ABs smart move would be to develop them.

Roger's one determined cat tho and a classy individual, may not make it but it wont be for lack of effort......(may be just me but he looks kind of small up against the rest of them....kind of forget the size difference between the codes sometimes)

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck showed some good signs & displayed glimpses of brilliance. Will be become a better 2nd 5 than Laumape? I have my doubts. His skills are better suited to #13 or a roving #14 & he's probably more likely to make a RWC squad than Ngani was but could be touch & go with the depth in NZR
Considering Laumape is playing in France Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has an infinitely better chance to play for the ABs unless that changes. With the style of game he was playing yesterday think 13 is a better fit for him but there’s probably still too many players ahead of him there

Five&Last

Five&Last

Tbh i think the Umaga - Jensen boys have way higher ceilings as mid fielders and the ABs smart move would be to develop them.

Roger's one determined cat tho and a classy individual, may not make it but it wont be for lack of effort......(may be just me but he looks kind of small up against the rest of them....kind of forget the size difference between the codes sometimes)
There’s way better midfield prospects in the country than the Umaga-Jensen boys.

AB’s seem pretty hell bent on developing Quinn Tupaea for a start.

Five&Last

Five&Last

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck showed some good signs & displayed glimpses of brilliance. Will he become a better 2nd 5 than Laumape? I have my doubts. His skills are better suited to #13 or a roving #14 so he's probably more likely to make a RWC squad than Ngani was but it could be touch & go with the depth in NZR
Yeah he’s chosen the wrong franchise to go to. 2nd Five is a very technical position. He’s way better suited to centre or wing which they are set at.

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
There’s way better midfield prospects in the country than the Umaga-Jensen
There’s way better midfield prospects in the country than the Umaga-Jensen boys.
Good pedigree with Umaga genes on one side and former Wainuiomata RL player, Tony, on the other side.
Would love to see them ‘return’ to RL one day .

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
2nd game didn’t really do anything and subbed at half time

Reactions: 4 users
PullinTeeth

PullinTeeth

2nd game didn’t really do anything and subbed at half time
He didnt get too involved but thought he had a couple nice touches, sat the current AB 2nd5 on his ass with some good footwork which created an overlap.
He was subbed because of a shoulder injury.

Reactions: 6 users
Noitall

Noitall

He didnt get too involved but thought he had a couple nice touches, sat the current AB 2nd5 on his ass with some good footwork which created an overlap.
He was subbed because of a shoulder injury.
Sounds like quite a serious one from what I saw reported. Chiefs went at him the whole first half, made 34 tackles the commentators said and missed none.

Reactions: 4 users