Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Kiwis fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck nominated for 2015 Golden Boot award
Last updated 08:23, November 10 2015
1447097430449.jpg

Kiwis and Warriors fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is one of three nominees for rugby league's 2015 Golden Boot award.

Dally M medal winner and two-time Golden Boot recipient Jonathan Thurston is also on the shortlist along with Leeds Rhinos and England fullback Zak Hardaker.

The award, won by Shaun Johnson last year, is handed out annually by the Rugby League World magazine at the end of the year, with a panel of international journalists and former winners deciding the shortlist before picking a winner.

Tuivasa-Sheck was superb for the Sydney Roosters as they won the NRL minor premiership and he was named the Dally M fullback of the year.

The 22-year-old, who is on the Kiwis tour of England, also smashed the NRL records for most metres made in a season with two rounds to spare, as he racked up a combined total of 5767 metres in 2015.

The fullback, who the Warriors reportedly paid $800,000 for his services next season, faces stiff competition from Cowboys captain Jonathan Thurston – who will certainly be favourite.

2015 was Thurston's finest year to date as he guided the Cowboys to their first Grand Final success, when they beat the Brisbane Broncos 17-16 in a thrilling decider and he won the Clive Churchill Medal with a man-of-the-match performance.

The 32-year-old kicked the winning drop goal in golden point extra time and he won his fourth Dally M medal this year by a record-winning margin of 11 points.

Thurston played in all three Origin tests for Queensland as they won the series 2-1 and he became the leading points-scorer in Origin history with 200 in his 33 matches since his debut in 2005.

The Cowboys halfback would become the first player to win the Golden Boot award for a third time after wins in 2011 and 2013.

English fullback Hardaker won the Super League's Man of Steel award after his excellent performances for Leeds Rhinos in the UK.

The West Yorkshire club became only the third team in Super League history to win a domestic treble – winning the Challenge Cup, the League Leaders Shield and the Super League Grand Final in 2015.

The winner will be revealed on November 20.

Golden Boot winners

1984: Wally Lewis (AUS), 1985: Brett Kenny (AUS), 1986: Garry Jack (AUS), 1987: Hugh McGahan (NZL) & Peter Sterling (AUS), 1988: Ellery Hanley (ENG), 1989: Mal Meninga (AUS), 1990: Garry Schofield (ENG), 1999: Andrew Johns (AUS), 2000: Brad Fittler (AUS), 2001: Andrew Johns (AUS), 2002: Stacey Jones (NZL), 2003: Darren Lockyer (AUS), 2004: Andrew Farrell (ENG), 2005: Anthony Minichiello (AUS), 2006: Darren Lockyer (AUS), 2007: Cameron Smith (AUS), 2008: Billy Slater (AUS), 2009: Greg Inglis (AUS), 2010: Benji Marshall (AUS), 2011: Johnathan Thurston (AUS), 2012: Kevin Sinfield (ENG), 2013: Johnathan Thurston (ENG), 2014: Shaun Johnson (NZL)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...asasheck-nominated-for-2015-golden-boot-award

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Benji Marshall (AUS)
Is Kearney's cousin writing these articles? When did Benji become an Australian?

Great for Roger to be talked about getting the Golden Boot, however i personally would find it hard to go past Thurston. Hopefully Roger has an awesome third Test as the internationals play a big part in the awards, whilst Thurston's Australian team didnt have any end of season Tests.

Hopefully whoever wins it, gets the trophy this time. Did Shaun Johnson ever get his?

Reactions: 1 users
Mr. Muller

Mr. Muller

Glad it's a wrap for rugby league for 2015 after game 3 yesterday especially for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, we need those miles in those legs ready for 2016.

Looking forward to seeing pics of him and Isaac Luke at their first preseason training.

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck willing to skip Nines on coach's orders
DAVID LONG IN WIGAN
Last updated 05:07, November 15 2015
1447517242007.jpg

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck says he'll miss the Auckland Nines if that's what Andrew McFadden wants.

Organisers of the Nines have used new Warriors signings Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke as draw cards to sell tickets to next year's event. But after a long season with the Roosters and four games on tour with the Kiwis, Warriors management know he has to be managed carefully.

Tuivasa-Sheck says while he's like to play, he'd understand if McFadden said it would be better for him to have a longer break to prepare for the new NRL season.

"Me and Issac have been talking about this," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"I'd love to play in the Nines, the new jerseys look awesome and I'd really like to play in it with Shaun Johnson.

"I do want to get straight into the Warriors mix. But that's me talking as a Warriors player and it depends on the coach's plans, whether it fits in with his plans for the Nines or the longer plan over the year. Whatever he decides, I'll do."

Sunday morning's game against England in Wigan was Tuivasa-Sheck's 31st of the season. It's been a outstanding year for him and it resulted in a nominated for the Golden Boot award.

The other two players listed are Johnathan Thurston and England fullback Zak Hardaker.

While he's honoured to make it onto the shortlist, Tuivasa-Sheck doesn't expect to receive the award.

"They both won titles in their comps, so I'm lucky to be that guy who's named next to them," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"I think you have little chance of winning it when you're named next to the Man of Steel, Zak Hardaker, and Johnathan Thurston, who has been great all year.

"He really deserves it, taking his team right through to win the title, I think he's been the best player.

"I was buzzing when I heard I was nominated, but I think JT will win it."

But Tuivasa-Sheck's numbers for the Roosters this year were off the chart, he ran for 6517 metres, smashing the previous record of 4590m set by Anthony Minichiello in 2004.

He was also the first player to run more than 250m on eight occasions (the previous best was just four times) and the 16 matches in which he ran for more than 200m obliterated Jarryd Hayne's previous record of 10 in 2009.

"It was weird because I was just enjoying playing each week with the team," he said.

"As we were coming to our last couple of games I was eager to get involved and do as much as I could.

"Afterwards our stats guy would tell me I'd done so many metres of running and this many carries.

"So I tried to see if I could beat it the next week."

There's a sense that 2016 could well be the Warriors' year. With Tuivasa-Sheck and Luke, the squad should have the best spine in the the league.

"There were so many comments that Issac and I were going to bring a Premiership to the club next year and there's definitely a lot of hype and expectation at the club," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"But we've got a pretty strong squad and I can't wait to get into it. Hopefully it becomes a team thing and the fans get what they deserve."

Fans have singled out Tuivasa-Sheck for autographs and selfies during the tour to England - putting him in a similar league to Sonny Bill Williams during the 2013 League World Cup. But the 22-year-old still has his feet firmly on the ground.

"Everyone is equal and Stephen Kearney is always pushing that no-one is better than anyone else. We're all the same," he said.

"It's hard for me to look at myself as a superstar when we've got Issac Luke and Adam Blair here, who have had so much experience and I see them as the superstars.

"We've also got Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Jason Nightingale in the team and I see myself below them."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...asheck-willing-to-skip-nines-on-coachs-orders

Last edited by a moderator:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
But Tuivasa-Sheck's numbers for the Roosters this year were off the chart, he ran for 6517 metres, smashing the previous record of 4590m set by Anthony Minichiello in 2004.

He was also the first player to run more than 250m on eight occasions (the previous best was just four times) and the 16 matches in which he ran for more than 200m obliterated Jarryd Hayne's previous record of 10 in 2009.
So good is it to have this guy on our squad. Those stats and records are insane...

Reactions: 3 users
snake77

snake77

Lets hope he repeats his efforts of this season over the next few years

He may not have to do as much of the early yardage gains early in the sets with our outside backs. Hopefully that keeps him fresh to shine in other areas. Having him high in the try scoring and try assist categories sound good.

mode81

mode81

I hope Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Johnson both miss the Nines, don't want to see Shaun at the Nines next year.

Until all the plates and screws are removed and he's fully healed and training in heavy contact then I don't want Shaun Johnson playing the Nines

Unlucky for promoters pushing the star power card but tough shit most teams only send 1 or 2 marquee players and the rest are fringe players and 20's.

Let Luke, Tui & Kata be our Nines playmakers and game breakers. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Shaun Johnson to sit it out and be ambassadors instead.

Next season will be our first serious tilt at a NRL Premiership with the calibre of squad we have and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Shaun Johnson will be major factors in our team's chances, both need to be carefully managed.

Reactions: 4 users
snake77

snake77

After buying a new home in Auckland last year I know the challenge he's in for. Let's just hope he doesn't end up with a million dollar do up like me.:(

He's earned some time off. House hunting will keep him busy for a while. Once he finds a place and settles down he'll start thinking about football again and will come back mentally refreshed.

The great thing with the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Luke signings is they actually want to be here. Not we made such an outrageous offer or were one of the last options.

League: Tuivasa-Sheck attacks the Auckland property market
2:29 PM Monday Nov 16, 2015
TuiovasaSheck_620x310.jpg

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Photo / Getty Images.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has just spent four weeks marshalling a young Kiwis backline around England - but his next assignment is no less challenging.

He needs to find a house in the overheated Auckland property market.

Tuivasa-Sheck heads back to New Zealand later this week, to begin the process of starting a new life in his homeland.

"Start to find my own place, start furniture shopping," said Tuivasa-Sheck when asked what was next on his agenda. Both him and his partner have family in Auckland but Tuivasa-Sheck is looking forward to being independent.

"We want to find a house," says Tuivasa-Sheck. " [We] don't want to bunk in with Grandma or anything."

Reflecting on the tour and yesterday's 20-14 third test loss to England, the 2015 Dally M fullback of the year had mixed feelings.

"It was definitely a missed opportunity for us to stamp [our mark] as the number one team in the world but also a learning curve and it was a good experience for [the young players]," said Tuivasa-Sheck.

"It's not the best way to end the tour but they will take a lot out of this [and that] will make them better players for the future."

Although he had a mixed tour on the field, Tuivasa-Sheck said he had "loved the trip" and travelling with a "good bunch of boys". He was electric against Leeds on a mild Autumn night for the first match of the tour, saving three tries in the first half and scoring two in the second, as well as several sweeping individual runs.

But he never again found that kind of space on the trip.

He had good first half in Hull behind a beaten pack, then gave a brilliant defensive display at the Olympic Stadium, helping to restrict the English team to just a single penalty. However, yesterday was below his usual high standards. Tuivasa-Sheck still looked the most dangerous Kiwis player on attack, scored one try, played a part in another and was only foiled by a brilliant Gareth Widdop tackle for a third but also made several uncharacteristic errors.

Perhaps more than most he suffered from the absence of a recognized playmaker in the halves. He went from being the junior member of the Kiwis' spine at the Anzac test in May to being Issac Luke's deputy among a much younger quartet on this tour. And it's easy to forget, given his heroics over the last 12 months, that the test in Hull was just his second at fullback.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11546179

Fazz

Fazz

I hope Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Johnson both miss the Nines, don't want to see Shaun at the Nines next year..

This. He'll feel so much pressure to step and swerve, which is 100% the opposite of what I'm hoping for as he eases his way into the season. I hope the club have a very honest discussion with him and tell him not to play.

I honestly could care less about the Nines this year. I just want a decent NRL season.

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

I care less about the nines than I used to.

Watching the first finalists in the Nines meet up in GF two years later, I can't help but wonder in North Queensland's case, if winning the nines somehow helped them.

That was the first time they'd won anything, winning tournaments puts some confidence in the bank and would have had some positive benefits.

But is that worth risking stars for a season ?
Probably not.

I guess,whether players turn out or not should be largely left to the players, they know what they can handle and what they can't.

The Nines doesn't seem to do Johnson or any other of our players I can think of any harm.

They look like they love it, maybe that's more important.

I'd be very surprised if Johnson, Luke, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck were all included in the Nines team.

Those three would sell a lot of tickets if they did front.

Last edited:
Harrigan

Harrigan

Posted this in the international section but without setting the world alight, he made nearly 500m in the last 2 tests.

Reactions: 3 users
Defence

Defence

I definitely wouldn't play Roger Tuivasa-Sheck- he needs as much rest as he can get- the league world has never seen a work rate like his.
I wouldn't mind Shaun Johnson having a bit of a cameo tho- a few minutes here, a few minutes there should be good for his confidence and he can blow a few cobwebs out.
By the time round one comes around it would've been a long time between drinks for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users