Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Starting a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck dedicated thread so we can follow his career through news, articles and posts. The other signing one has been too far polluted with posts about the Pom.

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/roger-tuivasa-sheck-signing-sam-tomkins-release-discussion.41850

Roosters fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck signs with Warriors for three years
DAVID LONG
Last updated 14:58, April 8 2015
1423618819591.jpg

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has joined the Warriors on a three-year deal and will play for the club from next season, while Sam Tomkins will return to England.

As reported in January, the NZ franchise were interested in bringing the Kiwis and Roosters fullback back to Auckland and they are believed to have paid over $800,000 for his services.

Tuivasa-Sheck will be a like-for-like replacement for Tomkins, who will leave the club a year early having failed to settle in New Zealand.

The Warriors have been trying to help a homesick Tomkins adjust to life in New Zealand, but this hasn't happened and there was a feeling this was affecting his performances.

He'll leave the country at the end of the season and be able to play without any pressure now a decision has been made.

Tomkins showed just how talented he is in the couple of games he played this year before getting injured and it's no coincidence the club's performances dropped away in losses to the Broncos and Storm in the past fortnight.

Tuivasa-Sheck grew up in South Auckland and was nabbed by the Roosters, despite the Warriors also showing strong interest in him.

The 21-year-old won the award for the winger of the year in the NRL last season and has been in stunning form again this year after his switch to fullback, replacing the retired Anthony Minichiello.

In the club's loss to the Sharks last weekend, Tuivasa-Sheck ran for over 300 metres.

The Warriors have been looking to land a marquee signing for a number of months, but missed out on Kieran Foran, Trent Merrin and Jason Taumalolo.

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said the club had reluctantly agreed to allow Tomkins to return to England a year before the end of his contract in 2016, but was delighted to secure Tuivasa-Sheck on a long-term contract.

"He came here excited about testing himself in the NRL and also experiencing living in a new country but, in the end, Sam has found it too much of a challenge being away from home," Doyle said.

"While we have talked with him and tried to work through it he has now come back to us to ask for a release at the end of the season.

"It's disappointing that it has come to this but reluctantly we have accepted there is no option but to allow Sam to return to England.

"For now, though, he is determined to finish his time with the Warriors in the best way he can. He's working to recover from his knee injury as soon as possible so he can regain his spot in the team."

Tomkins thanked the Warriors for their compassionate approach.

"I never imagined it would reach this point," he said.

"This is a great club and I can't say enough about the coaching staff. I love being with the lads and it's a brilliant country to live in but I can only be honest and say I miss home in ways I never thought I would.

"I'm truly grateful to the Warriors for agreeing to give me an early release and I am so determined to repay them for their consideration.

"All I want now is to get back out on the field to help us have a great season."

Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said making a decision now about Tomkins' future should prove beneficial.

"This has been hanging over Sam at different times and there's no doubt it has affected him," he said.

"Now the way has been cleared and I'm sure he'll excel once again when he comes back from this injury.

"We've seen the quality he provides when he's in the side. He makes a huge difference to the way we play and I know how determined he'll be to contribute over the rest of the season."

While disappointed Tomkins wouldn't be with the club for the full term of his original contract, McFadden was elated about snaring Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck.

"He's a wonderful talent and a fantastic signing," he said.

"He's still only 21 and has already made a real mark in the NRL and also for the Kiwis. To be able to bring a New Zealander back to our club from Australia is massive for us.

"While we're naturally thrilled and Roger is just as excited about coming home, we both have the same focus for the rest of the year.

"He's solely interested in doing all he can for the Roosters just as we know Sam wants to do the same for us."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...asa-Sheck-signs-with-Warriors-for-three-years

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
His work ethic is fantastic. He's probably doing so much as being the captain it's his way of carrying the team. We need to get to the point where he does the kick return and he doesn't need to do another hit up a tackle or two later. Even doing a Tomkins and moving it off to the wingers for the kick return would help.

Our attack would be a lot better if he was fresh and could support the ball runners. The game is quickening up and you need more on attack then just block plays. We need him running off offloads against a broken defensive off plays where we create space for him to be running at pace where defenders need to make decisions.

Similar to the way we used Tomkins where he'd chime in and ball play out the back. I know that's not is strengths but we should have structures set on both sides of the field with him running across picking where to come in. His ball playing is improving but even if it's either as a decoy or running hard and using his step would be better than our current attack. This would of been easier with Johnson as he added another threat for the defense.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Leave our man alone.

You want a Tedesco,go support the Roosters.
You want a Tommy Turbo,go support the Sea Eagles.

He may try too hard at times but doesn't stop.

Be greatful he is with us and not against us.
I am.
Would swap him for Teddy or Turbo in a heart beat, whatever it takes to have the team I support lift from the bottom quartile of the ladder.

Chats271

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 9, 2017
Its plain and simple. We are fucking up the way we play Roger. Someone said a few posts back about all the hit ups he does. That says it all right there.

In my humble opinion is we should be using him more like how the Chooks use Tedesco, sniffing around the gaps in the middle, waiting for offloads etc instead of using him as a battering ram. I do think he does have a good passing game, he did it a lot when he was at the Chooks.

He was guilty of trying a bit too hard last night in the back end of the game vs the Titans, as I dont think anyone else on the team were giving too much. The frustration on his face was telling.

He deserves more

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Its plain and simple. We are fucking up the way we play Roger. Someone said a few posts back about all the hit ups he does. That says it all right there.

In my humble opinion is we should be using him more like how the Chooks use Tedesco, sniffing around the gaps in the middle, waiting for offloads etc instead of using him as a battering ram. I do think he does have a good passing game, he did it a lot when he was at the Chooks.

He was guilty of trying a bit too hard last night in the back end of the game vs the Titans, as I dont think anyone else on the team were giving too much. The frustration on his face was telling.

He deserves more
Notice he's running out of patience with his team mates too. Last week he walked away from Beales bombed try saying "hold the ball". Last night the same with a Murchie forced offload saying ""hold that", both times looking disgusted.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Wow, been watching this discussion for a while now. And I've seen it all before.

RTS = Manu

and not in the way you think. IMO RTS is trying to hard to lift his side, thinks he needs to do it all by himself and injecting himself as often as possible. As a consequence when the opportunities arrive hes not ready, or not in place, or just tired and needing another breath.

An amazing player that needs others to step up, as Tohu is doing, Adam is trying to, but needs more support and the coach needs to take him in hand and ask him to stop trying to be there in every play. To time his involvement a little more. Let others carry the load.

Seen it before with Manu, it starts when his individual efforts inspire the team, he repeats and they dont affect the others as much, they begin to rely on them and then the mistakes happen.

wrighty

Wow, been watching this discussion for a while now. And I've seen it all before.

RTS = Manu

and not in the way you think. IMO RTS is trying to hard to lift his side, thinks he needs to do it all by himself and injecting himself as often as possible. As a consequence when the opportunities arrive hes not ready, or not in place, or just tired and needing another breath.

An amazing player that needs others to step up, as Tohu is doing, Adam is trying to, but needs more support and the coach needs to take him in hand and ask him to stop trying to be there in every play. To time his involvement a little more. Let others carry the load.

Seen it before with Manu, it starts when his individual efforts inspire the team, he repeats and they dont affect the others as much, they begin to rely on them and then the mistakes happen.
Last night, his try notwithstanding, he was part of the problem.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Last night, his try notwithstanding, he was part of the problem.
yea that was the one i missed due to power outage. but he would have been fresh and a large part of the issue is knowing when to time in, and thats a brain fatigue issue that he wouldnt have had at the start of the game.

Reactions: Inruin and Fearmuss

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Agreed whole heartedly with this - he was the club best player for years. Through-out the whole time our attack has sucked balls and it still does.
The spine is not good enough .....and the coaching or lack-off is not good enough. Neither is the recruitment.

I am going off on Egan because Osullivan had an opportunity to get a key piece. Hookers are much more attainable than top halfs. Still think the club should throw money at Brandon Smith. Cam Smith will play on and Harry Grant is their future starting 9. Then look for a solid but not spectacular dominating half - CHT, Nikorima & Paul turner can audition to play next to him.
We did throw money .big money
What part of no don't you get
Brandon doesn't want to come here an to be fair who can blame him ?

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

True

this club is a career killer

absolutely no one star wants to come here and ruin their development, lifestyle, career and opportunities

we should appreciate what we have while we still have it...

RMatenga

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 24, 2020

How do you know that? That the club threw big money and that he doesnt want to come here.

Nearly all the intended Warriors targets have come out in the media including those club threw big money at. Also Guess what David Fifita was never going to come here still didnt stop the warriors making a play.

Guess what? Throw the money at him again...Harry Grant will become the Storms starting nine and Cam smith might stay another season.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
How do you know that? That the club threw big money and that he doesnt want to come here.

Nearly all the intended Warriors targets have come out in the media including those club threw big money at. Also Guess what David Fifita was never going to come here still didnt stop the warriors making a play.

Guess what? Throw the money at him again...Harry Grant will become the Storms starting nine and Cam smith might stay another season.
It was public when we did .
It was in the media

RMatenga

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 24, 2020

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014

I didnt read anything about making a big play at all. Guess what circumstances have changed with the full emergance of Harry Grant.
Who is as good as storm expected.
It's a shame all right ..I have my fingers crossed that Roach an Egan work out .
I think our forwards will be fine
It's our halves an backs that I'm worried about.
An I don't care if he's not the biggest .I think we need to buy some high IQ
Footballer.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
It's a shame all right ..I have my fingers crossed that Roach an Egan work out .
I think our forwards will be fine
It's our halves an backs that I'm worried about.
An I don't care if he's not the biggest .I think we need to buy some high IQ
Footballer.
Spot-on OTB. I think we are short of some higher leader, footy smarts, think on their feet, spot the injured opposition and go after them etc. leader.. you raise a very valid point.
Even someone who does not have to look at the bench to ask whether we take the penalty...that person is feeling the game flow. Taking a quick tap, or a quick kick for touch instead of holding a committee meeting and everyone having a spell, including the opposition! Duh??

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Spot-on OTB. I think we are short of some higher leader, footy smarts, think on their feet, spot the injured opposition and go after them etc. leader.. you raise a very valid point.
Even someone who does not have to look at the bench to ask whether we take the penalty...that person is feeling the game flow. Taking a quick tap, or a quick kick for touch instead of holding a committee meeting and everyone having a spell, including the opposition! Duh??
Luke Keary and Cam Smith for next year it is then, I don't know what George is waiting for.

I hope Popeye isn't holding out for the Cleary boys and DCE, Ivan should tell him that was a prank call.

Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings