Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agree that Rog is better but Holmes ability is to go length of the field or finish.

As you say Val can't create anything else but 100 metre solo tries are quite handy.
Something the team is desperately missing and we need to focus next year on breaking the line long distance, especially with guys like SJ, Green, RTS, Beale, fus, Ken, Harris, Luke, all being able to set up or score long range tries.

To be fair though Id rather have have RTS traditional defensive vision (hes like a mind reader) and saving tries, plus him being a metre eater than Vals long range ability. Slater is the only one I can think of over a long period who had both. But Val is really crap at FB in comparison to RTS. Dont get me wrong, he is amazing ball runner. But a team really needs a FULL back, its the goalie position of the sport. I think RTS is easily the best fullback at the moment.

Would be nice for the warriors to have someone like Val on the wing or centre as well as RTS. Although depends if hes outside Kata lol.

SJ has lost his 80m try ability, seldom does he break the line from far with freakish tries. He clearly still sets up a lot of tries by running diagonally ball in two hands out in front draw and pass, but hes changed. At his peak he would have been hard to beat over 50m and definitely the best at stepping the line. I miss those days. Pitty we had such a poor team/coach around him until now.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Do we really have to make every thread a Kata thread? Kata's passed to Ken for tries exactly the same number of times RTS has - why aren't we complaining that RTS isn't creating more opportunities for Ken?
Because he doesn't play one in from Ken.

Because there is a defensively crippled centre on the other side who has formed a fairly good attacking unit with the current top try scorer. I do acknowledge that his 21 tries have not come from centre - wing passes though.

And it's somewhat telling that you knew through your keen observations that G.Reedy is S.Kata.

However out of respect I will return to RTS talk.

The point I was referring to was that RTS's low try count is not a bad thing because he has altered the shape and role of his game.

Reaction score
Aman

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Souths only need to win tonight and Cook will get 3 points by the biased Aussie selectors. This will make it very difficult for RTS even if he has a blinder

Reaction score

wellyboy

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
OK from what i saw in tonights game. Ill give damien cook 1 point for 1 try assist n 30 tackles i think. Need RTS to play well tomorrow to win the daly m hopefully.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don't think Roger's lack of tries is a concern at all, he's never been a huge try scorer.

You look back at his days on the wing for the Roosters and he didn't score very many.

upload_2018-8-31_8-13-56.png

Reaction score
zaggo

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
OK from what i saw in tonights game. Ill give damien cook 1 point for 1 try assist n 30 tackles i think. Need RTS to play well tomorrow to win the daly m hopefully.
Agreed. I watched the game and don't think Cook was the #1 or #2. Those would likely go to George Burgess and Cody Walker. Reynolds could have a sniff too.

Reaction score
Aman

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Pretty amazing season he”s had regardless of where we end up in the finals. Could be our First Dally M according to this.

• 05/09/2018
The NRL Lurker: The five games which have convinced me Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is the Dally M winner
The Lurker looks at the five games that got RTS the chocolates.

Written ByTHE LURKER @TheNRLLurker

In the end, there could be only one winner, and star Kiwi fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck did enough to hold off all competitors to win The Lurker'sDally M award.

I would bet everything left in Trent Barrett's contract that he takes out the real award in a couple of week's time also.

When official voting went behind closed doors after round 12, RTS was nowhere to be seen.

James Maloney's first half of the season in clubland was outrageous and, rightfully so, he led the trailing pack by 17 points before I took over the 3-2-1 for every game.

Just one vote back were Andrew Fifita, Kalyn Ponga and Wests Tigers' playmaker Luke Brooks.

Tuivasa-Sheck sat on 12 points, making it even more impressive that he ended the season on top.

I've gone through the five games that RTS earned maximum votes, and proved to me there is no other person more deserving of taking the award out.

Now let's see if he can claim the official prize in grand final week.

ROUND 1: SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS 20 DEF. BY NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 32

On paper, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's base stats don't look that impressive. 111 metres from 15 runs, 15 kick return metres and three tackles.

However, the 25-year-old also had two linebreak assists, two try assists and two tackle breaks, and was a general menace with the ball in hand.

The reason that the Warriors had such an explosive start to the season (5-0) was because of their dependable fullback.

ROUND 9: NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 26DEF. WESTS TIGERS 4

The second and final time that RTS polled three votes before it went behind closed doors.

Tuivasa-Sheck made over 160 metres and broke 10 tackles to earn maximum points and move into a share of third place on 11 points beside Mitchell Pearce and Gareth Widdop.

His speed and footwork were on display at Mt Smart Stadium, but it was nothing compared to what happened in Townsville in round 15.

ROUND 15: NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 16 DEF. BY NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 23

Have you ever ended an opposing player's season because you've stepped them?

RTS has, check it out below.

Before this glorious footwork, the fullback broke the line and ran past the enitre Cowboys defence.

In the end, he ran for 182 metres and had two further line break assists and a try assist.

ROUND 21: ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS 12 DEF. BY NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 18

This is the game that took RTS into top spot, and he didn't look back from then on.

Tuivasa-Sheck ran a whopping 239 metres against the Red V at Win Stadium, and also managed the below try-saving tackle.

ROUND 22: NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 20 DEF. NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 4

If you thought 239 metres wasn't a bad effort, how about 338 against the Knights.

He broke 11 tackles, had two line break and created a mockery of his opponents attempted tackles.

And, that's all she wrote.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/rugby-league/news/the-nrl-lurker-the-five-games-which-have-convinced-me-roger/1onx24g4kg8ot18dmkof2khcm2

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
RTS finalist for another major honour
Richard Becht warriors.kiwi
Thu 6 Sep 2018, 02:08 PM
Capture.JPG

Vodafone Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has today been confirmed as one of the five finalists for the Players' Champion award run by the Rugby League Players' Association.

Tuivasa-Sheck was named the Vodafone NRL player of the year and inaugural winner of the Simon Mannering Medal as the 24th annual Vodafone Warriors awards at SKYCITY on Sunday night.

He is also regarded as one of the top contenders for the NRL's prestigious Dally M player of the year award to be announced later this month.

Now he has joined Damien Cook (South Sydney), Valentine Holmes (Cronulla), Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm) and Kalyn Ponga (Newcastle) on the short list for the Players' Champion crown to be announced in Sydney next Tuesday (September 11).

The Players' Champion recognises the best player in the NRL as voted by players.

Tuivasa-Sheck flew to Sydney today where he will lead the Vodafone Warriors into their first NRL finals match since the 2011 grand final when they face Penrith at ANZ Stadium on Saturday (5.30pm kick-off local time; 7.30pm NZT).

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/09/06/rts-on-short-list-for-another-major-honour/

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Well deserved.

Good to see him being talked about in regards to rewards. It shows we are not entirely out of sight out of mind. These sorts of things come up when you win more than we were the last 7 years. Also flows into recruitment with the club being a better career proposition.

Saw a team of the year article and most of the fullback discussion was around Holmes or Ponga. Both have had great seasons but mostly people look at the attacking highlights.

Sure RTS hasn't as much as them in that area but defensively he has pulled off some stunners and also grown as a leader.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hope he get's it. The Dally M's are a bit of a joke, even that sister Sims scandal this year adds to that. Thurston is in the top ten, despite being bloody average on the whole of the season, and his side fighting it out for the spoon.

Should be picked by the players/coach IMO, not the bias 3rd parties. They are the ones who will take it seriously and know who was the best on the park.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
And who's gonna trust Clearly at this time? This is exactly what will come back to bite him around the Gould saga and what his own recruits at the Tigz will be wondering about. He got caught out big time and it will take a long time and a lot of stability for folks to put that to one side. The only way he can do that is to remain at the Tigz and somehow become successful. A tall order potentially after letting Marshall and Farah potentially say 12 months too long...
Be interesting to see whether Cleary can attract talent - real talent moving forward.

Might end up a one trick pony (signing ex Warriors he coached)....with no tricks left.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Hope he get's it. The Dally M's are a bit of a joke, even that sister Sims scandal this year adds to that. Thurston is in the top ten, despite being bloody average on the whole of the season, and his side fighting it out for the spoon.

Should be picked by the players/coach IMO, not the bias 3rd parties. They are the ones who will take it seriously and know who was the best on the park.
I hear it’s already been decided to award Thurston with the Clive Churchill medal after this year’s Grand Final.

Reaction score
Aman

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I hear it’s already been decided to award Thurston with the Clive Churchill medal after this year’s Grand Final.
Yea has to be RTS, Cook or Holmes. Anyone else and its a fix.

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
[QUOTE="snake77, post: 743226, member: 1064"
Sure RTS hasn't as much as them in that area but defensively he has pulled off some stunners and also grown as a leader.[/QUOTE]

This annoys me so much. Modern full backs being Wingers masquerading as a FULL BACK. Unless your name is Billy Slater or maybe James Tedesco, I dont think it fair to judge them as full backs just because they are always up in the line and on offense.

RTS is hands down the best Full Back in the comp. His defensive vision matches A Johns offensive vision. He is there 99/100 when humanly possible. Some of the try savers this year were epic. The one he bundled the player ball and all as he was mid air about to plant it and got up hyped was epic, I think that was Souths, game.

Add to that having the most kick return metres in a team where 3 other players are hitting up the kick return often.

Hes a classic Full Back, the goalie in a team, the last line of defense.

And his attack and step is amazing, he sets players up for breaks, hes unselfish.

I was worried he would lose his metres coming to the warriors, and his specific training they had him on at easts, but not so.

Its no coincidence RTS joins the team and we achieve #2 in Red Zone defense.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Be interesting to see whether Cleary can attract talent - real talent moving forward.

Might end up a one trick pony (signing ex Warriors he coached)....with no tricks left.
Also he’s pretty much tapped out that well with only Johnson left after this season from the Cleary days.

I got a bad feeling one of the retiring greats is going to come from no where to win on Sentiment

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
To be fair Roger's last line of defence wasn't great last season.....their hard ones to make but there was a number of try saving efforts that a fullback was probably entitled to make that he dropped off on.

Fast forward an off season and how much he improved in this area of his game was immense!......staggering actually.

That tells me his personal ethos for self improvement is on point....and one of the great leadership qualities to have.

I think he has most area's of his game nailed down, altho the one thing i'd like to see him work on now is his support game....which is getting better. But I'd happily see him expend less energy on hit ups to focus more on running off shoulders or sniffing around the ruck......I think his try scoring tally would improve.

Never rated the Dally's.....bit of a joke really.....especially when u got goons like Halligan who does most of our games and pulls those points out of his arse. The fact that he's in the mix for the players player award says more really.

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think he has most area's of his game nailed down, altho the one thing i'd like to see him work on now is his support game....which is getting better. But I'd happily see him expend less energy on hit ups to focus more on running off shoulders or sniffing around the ruck......I think his try scoring tally would improve.
Totally. Him and the other fleet footed players should be backing up the known offloaders every time they run, so they are hitting the offload at speed. For the team that has the most offloads you would expect a lot more broken field play and or tries scored from them. Its because when they offload its usually to a player just getting ready to dummy half. Can you imagine RTS at speed into a gap with his foot work, try time.

Going on the basis of year 1 completions, year 2 defense/fitness, year 3 offense. Im hoping this does get addresssed next year, and if so I think we have a legitimate shot at our maiden Prem.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
To be fair Roger's last line of defence wasn't great last season.....their hard ones to make but there was a number of try saving efforts that a fullback was probably entitled to make that he dropped off on.

Fast forward an off season and how much he improved in this area of his game was immense!......staggering actually.

That tells me his personal ethos for self improvement is on point....and one of the great leadership qualities to have.

Never rated the Dally's.....bit of a joke really.....especially when u got goons like Halligan who does most of our games and pulls those points out of his arse. The fact that he's in the mix for the players player award says more really.
When you consider the improvement in Rogers defence while under Warrior coaching, we are very good at improving players tackling. Ken is another recent improver, Shaun Johnson has grown into an excellent defender, Kata is pretty good / another steady improver, and lets not forget how poor Fus was when 1st in the grade.

There is hope for Hiku at this club, there really is, unlike other clubs who drop and disgard because they can replacements are easier to find over there.

Getting back to Roger I agree he must be driven, they always talk about defence being self motivated, however what Roger is doing, is next level, the types of tackles only special players can consistently pull off.

I remember when he got here and admitted that Cappy made him change his tackling technique straight off the bat.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Watching the Matty johns show last night and they were debating who is the best fullback in the game- tedesco or Holmes.....
Meanwhile rts is hot fav for the dally m and doesn't even rate a mention.
Give me a break.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Watching the Matty johns show last night and they were debating who is the best fullback in the game- tedesco or Holmes.....
Meanwhile rts is hot fav for the dally m and doesn't even rate a mention.
Give me a break.

So many good ones in this era. I'd rather have RTS, Trbojevic or Ponga over those two mentioned above.

Holmes scores a lot of tries but I don't see him having that all around game as yet, it'll probably come though.

Top Bottom