Recruitment Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Signing & Sam Tomkins Release Discussion

Reaction score
Apus

Apus

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Big fan of this signing.

I understand the strengths that Tomkins brings, and as we've seen this year he's a huge part of our current plans. However, we have to believe that Cappy will be able to restructure and allow for RTS's strengths to shine through.

At the end of the day, Tomkins had strengths that RTS doesn't have, and RTS has strengths that Tomkins doesn't have. I do believe though that Tomkins strengths can be learned, whereas RTS' cannot.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm so happy about this signing. Not only do we get a great fullback, but we get a young signing, not some old farts that come here for a 1-3 years pay check and then retire.

What I'm looking forward to the most, is a fullback that not only has a great all round skill set, but one that runs hard at the line, those kick returns are going to be awesome re: McKinnon/Webb days.

Reaction score

Jordan G

We will have to change our game plan, but will have a full off season to do it.

The question now is - where does it leave Lolohea?

Reaction score
Est95

Est95

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
At $800K (reportedly) a season would that make him the highest paid Warrior? Hoffman was what $650K? Whats SJ, Mannering and Hurrell on? Can't be more than $800K surely?

Reaction score
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Absolutely guttered about Tomkins.

But when you consider the man hadn't lived outside of Wigan (or England) for 25 years before he moved to Auckland to play for the Warriors, it's no reason the man had become homesick. Unlike the Burgess brothers, Tomkins didn't have that kind of family support here in NZ. I commend the Warriors for doing all they could to help Tomkins settle into New Zealand but if it didn't feel right for him, what can you do?

Good on the club for giving him a release in this instance. It fucken sucks from a fans point of view, but its this type of professionalism that needs to be ingrained into our culture moving forward, even if it doesn't seem fair. How good is it to have snared up RTS as his direct replacement? the man has all the talent and class you could wish for.

Can't go wrong with this decision - well done Warriors, well fricken done.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just hope there is a clause in Tomkins release that he can't play for an Aussie based NRL club......if he is homesick then he should/must go to England.
There is a clause that Wigan gets first dibs. I'd imagine he will go there.

Gutted to lose Sam and VERY nervous about RTS. Not because he is a bad player, but because I'm sure the Roosters will be pulling out all of the stops to keep him. It's going to be a loooong two months or so until that deadline passes. We need to be vigilant about brown paper bags or we risk having zero fullbacks next year.

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Wigan get first dibs then I hope they are paying a record transfer fee to get him back.... Bastards!

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm going to have to be balls up honest. I've already erased Tomkins from my memory. I enjoy Tomkins. Was enjoying the build of form before another injury consumed him. But with Sheck we get a hard Kiwi body who can make try saving tackles. Who can do enormous kick returns. Who can support play through the line. Who is not only fast but tough. Love Sam. Hope we send him out a winner. But anyone who doesn't see this as serious shot in the arm to not only our future but the Kiwi legacy is running on emotion. We just signed a genuine superstar. Who has won a premiership. Who is reaching his peak. Welcome home Sheck.

Reaction score
RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The question now is - where does it leave Lolohea?
Good question. I personally like him at wing in the current team with Chad and SJ in the halves. He provides cover for the halves and fullback should we get an injury there and he can express his running game on the wing. Plus he is reasonable good at running the ball back from kicks and quite safe under the high ball. The roster might be quite different by next year so who knows.

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thought Tomkins wanted to test himself in the best comp, Now he and his mrs homesick after 1 season prrrfffttt. Harden up Lad

Massive coup bringing RTS home, And to pry him off the Roosters who print there own money and so called glamour club. Its great for the Warriors to finally reel in a big catch, Just hope Cappy and coaching staff have the nous to impliment a gameplan to best suit RTS and Johnsons talents

Reaction score
ryno

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thought Tomkins wanted to test himself in the best comp, Now he and his mrs homesick after 1 season prrrfffttt. Harden up Lad

Massive coup bringing RTS home, And to pry him off the Roosters who print there own money and so called glamour club. Its great for the Warriors to finally reel in a big catch, Just hope Cappy and coaching staff have the nous to impliment a gameplan to best suit RTS and Johnsons talents
Im picking they will get rid of the halves playing specific sides and have Johnson and RTS link up on both edges.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

I would imagine our gameplan for RTS will be sniffing around offloads by Matulino and Hoffman and backing up Hurrell as much as possible. I'd say there will be heavy emphasis on Johnson backing up RTS breaks too. That's about the deadliest broken field duo in the game ... could be magic.

Reaction score

Jordan G

Im picking they will get rid of the halves playing specific sides and have Johnson and RTS link up on both edges.
Please let it happen. There's already signs of Johnson roving, If he and RTS are both operating from the middle that's danger time for the opposition.

Reaction score

Brent

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I get sick of this he's leaving because he's home sick BS. Something else going on behind the scenes here. I think the Warriors have major problems. RTS might be potentially a great player but he isn't going to motivate a team around the field.

Reaction score

Kalcod

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thought Tomkins wanted to test himself in the best comp, Now he and his mr homesick after 1 season prrrfffttt. Harden up Lad

Corrected the above statement if the rumours are true....... :p

Very dissapointed in Tomkins. As someone above has posted, lets hope we get either our transfer fee back or a substantial transfer fee in return for his leaving early.

I really thought this season he was showing his class, last season was a very big wake up call in the difference between NRL and Super League imo.

He should definately not be allowed to sign for another NRL team for at least 5 years after leaving the Warriors early.

I wonder what some of the players coming from the UK and Aussie expect when they get here, or is the homesick / partner homesick an easy way to get out of your contract?

To RTS, welcome home, and go hard. Excited to see what he can bring to the team. How is our cap balance looking now after this signing? room for more???

Reaction score
warrior4life

warrior4life

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
As gutted as I am about tomkins, we need to remember we had just signed a young superstar who could be out fullback for the next 10 years.. I'm pretty excited about that

Top Bottom