General Robstervile Preview: Warriors against Brisbane.

Robster_old

What a first round the Warriors had against the Parramatta Eels! Finally we have a number 6 who actually a 5/8 of Micheal Witt (no disrespect to Jerome Ropati), who would of thought that most of us would of accepted Brent Webb’s departure so early in the season for Wade McKinnon? McKinnon is a mega gun that with his class should be playing Origin for the Blues later this season.

My only concern with the Warriors is they seem to still let soft tries come from no where this is due to mostly backs coming out of the line when they don’t need to which results in a huge gap in defence. This issue has been going on for a number years and a big reason why the Warrior don’t win a lot of their close games. The Auckland based franchise have to develop chip and dip football for 80 minutes and insure there is plenty of dip left in the last 20 minutes.

Brisbane in the other hand had a lost against the Cowboys on Friday Night but still managed to look at good odds on defending their premiership. With Lockyer sidelined by an ankle injury, coach Wayne Bennett has given Perry the job of filling Lockyer's spot at standoff. The other change sees Sam Thaiday go to the starting line up for injured Corey Parker. The fact that Darren Lockyer is out will make the task a lot harder for the Broncos but won’t take away the fact they are still a very high quality side wtih rep status players every where.

If we combine those teams together the best battle will be around the forwards of Michael Luck against Tonie Carroll, Logan Swann fronting up against Brad Thorn and Solid Simon Mannering battling big Sammy Thaiday.

With Darren Lockyer out the odds will no doubt be longer for a Brisbane Bronco's victory. I think Ivan Cleary had trained the rookies of Lauaki, Rapira and Rapira in the 2005 season to make a sensational power bench whilst I don’t think Brisbane have the toughness and experience in the bench. The starting line up seems like a even contest but in my view Rugby League is a 17 man game not 13. So with that said and Wade McKinnon’s presence I’m tipping the Warriors.

Key Match up:

Simon Mannering against Sam Thaiday – both differently built players, Sam most notably has the strength whilst Simon Mannering has the endurance to play long spells of Football.

Stave Price against Petro Civoniceva - both similar players, powerful, strong, leaders and hard hitting forwards. Should be a great battle between those 2 Queensland team mates.

Why the Warriors will win: through the great team culture the Warriors have devlepoed between one and every player, home ground advantage, the better depth of quality players and the fact that Darren Lockyer isn’t playing.

Robsters Tip: Warriors by 10

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinny_Ravs82

Only critisism I have about what you've written, is that you placed a bit too much emphasis on the players the Broncos have lost. Yes Lockyer's absence is a major, major factor but perhaps focus on other players that can cause a threat to us and not just the big names ;)