General Robbie Freuan and Rene Ranger

Magic Stick_old

Warriors should target these guys....with both missing the AB's. both would be sensations in league in the centers

Spence_old

Rene Ranger especially, he was a killer offloading game too. I'd definitely be keen on either of them. To be completely honest, I wouldn't even care if they threw $300k+, I think they'd be amazing.

Magic Stick_old

Rene Ranger especially, he was a killer offloading game too. I'd definitely be keen on either of them. To be completely honest, I wouldn't even care if they threw $300k+, I think they'd be amazing.

I agree

KeepingTheFaith_old

Rene Ranger for sure.

Don't see any Super 15 player leaving before the WC though. They'll all have hopes of making it regardless of whether they have a genuine shot or not. The time to take a shot will be after the WC.

Spence_old

I remember Bell saying they were going to push hard for players after the WC, I hope they go through with that, I think it would be a good ploy.

a.c.e_old

Ranger for the Warriors for sure, and it keeps him in Auckland so a another plus.

Iafeta_old

I was amazed those blokes weren't picked. Both would make terrific league players. Quick, powerful, good footwork and good ball skills.

Kabba_old

All the wingers picked are better than Ranger and so are the centres in my opinion, so I think it's fair he didn't go.

Freuan should have gone though.

Magic Stick_old

Joe Rokocoko is mud and hasnt done jack for the All Blacks for 5 years. When was the last time you seen him stand his man up and then beat the fullback for the try from 20m or 30m or 40+ meters out?

Thats something Hosea Gear does all the time....Ranger should of been ahead of Rokocoko for sure.Ranger has X-factor

a.c.e_old

Just on Freuan. Is he good? Or is it because of having someone like Sonny to follow around. Sonnys always been good at lifting those around him. Think Maitua. Yes Maitua can be ok. Back in the Dog days Sonny made him look like a world beater, with no Sonny Maitua was average at best.

So is Freuan a Maitua? As in always in the right spot to receive the Sonny offloads and then goes to ok when Sonny isnt there? Or is he on his own a genuine 'go to' guy?

Magic Stick_old

Just on Freuan. Is he good? Or is it because of having someone like Sonny to follow around. Sonnys always been good at lifting those around him. Think Maitua. Yes Maitua can be ok. Back in the Dog days Sonny made him look like a world beater, with no Sonny Maitua was average at best.

So is Freuan a Maitua? As in always in the right spot to receive the Sonny offloads and then goes to ok when Sonny isnt there? Or is he on his own a genuine 'go to' guy?

Freaun was the International u20 of the year a few years ago....The guy is a beast

He does alot of damage with SBW. But he can do the damage witout SBW also

I think he is made for league

2big2strong_old

Imagine Manu Vatuvei, playing in the centres mate. He is all class.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRzeRdhz8fw[/YOUTUBE]

2big2strong_old

BTW.

He does that nearly everytime he touches the ball, it's just that's the only video I could find on youtube.

There was one moment on the weekend vs Counties where he received the ball while standing only a foot in from touch. about 3 counties players tried to tackle him over the sideline and he just shrugged them off like flies and got the ball away.

It's just like watching Manu except Fruean is taller.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Can hit a hole, has good pace, and extremely good hands, oh and he can swing tacklers around by nothing more than their shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNcQnq8x-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFwHTjOuYCA

Scores a nice try at the beginning of this next one, but little else afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDiZgvYAvU&feature=related

Almost butchers a try at the beginning here, but saves it in the end. Later on shows some silky skills to set up another try to Ellis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_UW3knKh8&feature=related

Fruean hattrick against Harbour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PYFzCcI1fw&feature=related

Shows a couple of little touches throughout, but at 7:15 is where you seem him show some great pace to score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5PpL8Ne4o&feature=related

a.c.e_old

Thanks guys, good to see that this guy running around the paddock looking through those clips. And it all so just hammers home how much I miss looking at actual green grass.

Kabba_old

Joe Rokocoko is mud and hasnt done jack for the All Blacks for 5 years. When was the last time you seen him stand his man up and then beat the fullback for the try from 20m or 30m or 40+ meters out?

Thats something Hosea Gear does all the time....Ranger should of been ahead of Rokocoko for sure.Ranger has X-factor

The X-Factor argument. Yawn. When does Ranger do what you described? Haven't seen him ever do that to be honest. Whereas Rokocoko is an experienced All Black and proven at international level, Ranger has done nothing really.

And where did Hosea Gear come into this? He's in the squad. Gear shits all over Ranger as a winger anyway.

Spence_old

The X-Factor argument. Yawn. When does Ranger do what you described? Haven't seen him ever do that to be honest. Whereas Rokocoko is an experienced All Black and proven at international level, Ranger has done nothing really.

And where did Hosea Gear come into this? He's in the squad. Gear shits all over Ranger as a winger anyway.

What's wrong with someone being praised for having x-factor. It's no different to someone talking about speed, or agility, really. Ranger has a good bump off/off load and can make things happen, he also can produce big hits. These things contribute to x-factor.

Kabba_old

What's wrong with someone being praised for having x-factor. It's no different to someone talking about speed, or agility, really. Ranger has a good bump off/off load and can make things happen, he also can produce big hits. These things contribute to x-factor.

No, it's not being praised for it, it's that it's an argument used for too often but really isn't a big factor when compared to much greater experience and the fact that the players in comparison are not ones who are missing X-Factor anyway. X-Factor is an overused quality.

I still maintain that all of the wingers selected have reason to be there ahead of Ranger.

Gear has been in much better form for a longer period of time. Sivivatu has always excelled at international level and is an established player. Rokocoko again is established in the system and is proven. Jane speaks for himself really, class player and he is an integral part of the established line up.

One thing that harms Ranger is that he is also able to play centre and I get the feeling he is heading towards being more of a centre than a winger, which will effect his chances of a Black jersey because the centres are very well established, and if Freuan was not selected as a centre, then why would Ranger be selected for that position?

Spence_old

It may be an overused argument, but in this case it is valid. He doesn't have out and out speed, but what he does have is an ablilty to make things happen, whether if be with an offload, break, tackle or what have you. Call it what you wish, but I wish to call it x-factor. I'm not saying he deserves to be in the squad, only that in his case, having x-factor is a credible way of describing his game.

Kabba_old

It may be an overused argument, but in this case it is valid. He doesn't have out and out speed, but what he does have is an ablilty to make things happen, whether if be with an offload, break, tackle or what have you. Call it what you wish, but I wish to call it x-factor. I'm not saying he deserves to be in the squad, only that in his case, having x-factor is a credible way of describing his game.

I'm not saying it's not a credible way of describing his game or that he doesn't have it. I am saying it is an overused quality for justifying things to do with certain players.

In this case I don't feel X-Factor is that much of a defining factor considering the players who are there outrank him in different areas.