Internationals RLWC 2017 Thread

The only real guide we have to this question is the Super League SOO were NZ were included. The Kiwis would have made the final except for a blatant bad call from a touchie. SOO is not all it is cracked up to be, just cash cow for the ARL.
I wouldn't even consider that Super League Origin comp.
Remember, for NSW and Qld, half their top players were in the rival ARL comp, so effectively the NZ side played much lower quality teams. Was all a bit of a joke really.
Also, that was 20 years ago!
Our current Kiwis setup would get demolished by both NSW and QLD.
I'm just glad Fiji did us a favour so we didn't have to face Australia in the semi.
That shit would've been ugly.

Reactions: Raw Power and Pozza

bruce

Contributor
I wouldn't even consider that Super League Origin comp.
Remember, for NSW and Qld, half their top players were in the rival ARL comp, so effectively the NZ side played much lower quality teams. Was all a bit of a joke really.
Also, that was 20 years ago!
Our current Kiwis setup would get demolished by both NSW and QLD.
I'm just glad Fiji did us a favour so we didn't have to face Australia in the semi.
That shit would've been ugly.
Sorry brother but I disagree.

The Super League comp had most of the Aussie stars, what they didn't have was the young talent coming through e.g. Trent Barrett. It was the player numbers that got them in the end. The Kiwi team wasn't that hot, and they had Graham Norton as coach, yet they sure met the standard.

What England showed is that they are tough, and always have been, but play in a weaker competition. Give them a few hard games together, just as the Tongans and the Fijians had, and a very smart coach and they almost did it. That game against Tonga was brutal. There is no way I expected them to bounce back from that like they did.

Sorry mate, SOO is a circle jerk for Aussies.

• Haha
Reactions: Johnnyray
Sorry brother but I disagree.

The Super League comp had most of the Aussie stars, what they didn't have was the young talent coming through e.g. Trent Barrett. It was the player numbers that got them in the end. The Kiwi team wasn't that hot, and they had Graham Norton as coach, yet they sure met the standard.

What England showed is that they are tough, and always have been, but play in a weaker competition. Give them a few hard games together, just as the Tongans and the Fijians had, and a very smart coach and they almost did it. That game against Tonga was brutal. There is no way I expected them to bounce back from that like they did.

Sorry mate, SOO is a circle jerk for Aussies.
Do you reckon any of the current Kiwi spine if eligible would make it into the QLD origin side.

bruce

Contributor
Do you reckon any of the current Kiwi spine if eligible would make it into the QLD origin side.
That is a loaded question brother. The answer is no.

However in the past the Kiwis have always beaten Australia up front, and they would do the same to either NSW or Queensland. What screwed it up this time was a dud coach, and not just in this series, but right from when he started. Think of the forward pack we would have had if we had not lost Taumalolo, Bromwich and Proctor, and if Brian Smith had been allowed to do more with tactics.

The other point from this series is the surprisingly poor performance of Australia. I thought they would have put 30 points on the English. The English side must have been really sore after the Tongan game.

If the Australian forward pack was split between Queensland and NSW they would be much weaker. Just imagine a game at MSS with Tonga ( and their Kiwis:rolleyes:) playing NSW. It would never happen because it would show SOO for what it is.

That is a loaded question brother. The answer is no.

However in the past the Kiwis have always beaten Australia up front, and they would do the same to either NSW or Queensland. What screwed it up this time was a dud coach, and not just in this series, but right from when he started. Think of the forward pack we would have had if we had not lost Taumalolo, Bromwich and Proctor, and if Brian Smith had been allowed to do more with tactics.

The other point from this series is the surprisingly poor performance of Australia. I thought they would have put 30 points on the English. The English side must have been really sore after the Tongan game.

If the Australian forward pack was split between Queensland and NSW they would be much weaker. Just imagine a game at MSS with Tonga ( and their Kiwis:rolleyes:) playing NSW. It would never happen because it would show SOO for what it is.
I know what your saying but there’s a few ifs and buts. Up until this WC we’ve had the services of those three forwards you mentioned and still been beaten. Is it three years since we last beat the Aussies?
I really think the Poms have improved heaps under Bennett, but in saying that I don’t know if that game plan
is sustainable, you need to be able to score points.
It was only 12 months ago that we drew with Scotland and three weeks ago we were beaten by Fiji. So based
on that form there’s no way we would beat either QLD or NSW. If we were to get back to the form from the Bennett/ SK era sure we would be right up there. Under this present set up its light years away and if DK is reappointed well we’re rooted. We might as well all go and follow Japanese AFL

After having my heart broken "fucken Kiwis" , I sucked it up and went to the final which I had booked in a year ago.

Me and my boys honestly enjoyed both games apart from the officiating which I think was the worst I have ever seen live of any grade and felt that about the tv matches I watched too. I attended the Christchurch games which had awesome atmospheres despite slightly disappointing crowds.

Attendance for the Womans was disappointing, I thought a few more Kiwis would have turned up for that because they are entertaining games. So much completely piss poor reffing in this game the girls did well to stay in it but let themselves down a bit and could have stolen it if it wasn't for a couple of poor moments from them, they played with Mana and left it all on the field, I was proud to be sitting there in my Kiwi jersey.

We decided to go up to the Caxton during the 90 minute break, very cool up there with a very strong English contingent of fans but also good representation from most the other Nations heading en masse to Suncorp. Great attitudes and lots of aroha from all the different nations fans made it quite different to any game of footy I'd been to be for. We came across some Kiwi boys dressed up that had decided to come as Maori Superheroes since the Kiwis hadn't made it, they were a crack up and great costumes.

Back at Suncorp and pre-game the English fans were doing a bit of singing in groups all round the stadium which was very cool but they didn't really get anything going during the game which was surprising as we were looking forward to some English singing, wish thay could have drowned out the ozzies near me, nothing can give me a headache faster than fucking ozzie ozzie oi oi.

The game itself I thought was enjoyable but I'm old school and from the "defence wins games" mould.
Ozzie definitely got the rub of the green and then some that 1st half, it was slightly more even but was still average shit, Ref was obviously struggling to keep up and by the 70th minute he was looking like the players, both teams looked shot at that stage, it was hot as fuck though, very very humid.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable 5 days of drinking far too much and well worth what is now day 3 of my hangover.

Last edited:
NSW and Queensland are not Australia. I was talking about them playing the Kiwis alone. They got such a bloody fright last time there was a tri series that will never happen again.
Whatever your opinion of Origin, in Australia it is still THE biggest rep draw card in the game and has been since its inception.
Is it overhyped?..yes..is it the best of the best?..no, not anymore, but only in the last...5 years or so, could anyone really say there were more than just 1 or 2 players who weren't eligible that would've been picked if they were.
Australia still has the major share of our elite players.
It's inevitable though that in the coming years the whole rep scene is going to change dramatically.
More and more of the best players aren't Aussie eligible (or choose not too be) so are not involved in the so called "Best of the Best" and slowly but surely Origin is gonna lose it's appeal, therefore lessening it's dollar power (living in oz I can tell you it's already happening) and the powers that be won't want that..
The times are a changing..but not enough to convince me that the Kiwis, as they are, could beat either Origin side.

Oh by the way, that super league tri series wasn't Origin, even if NZ had won it, the comp didn't exist the next year. No one really cared.
Anyway, congrats to the Skippys for the WC win.

Last edited:
NSW and Queensland are not Australia. I was talking about them playing the Kiwis alone. They got such a bloody fright last time there was a tri series that will never happen again.
Jeepers that’s a long time ago. Even if you played them as QLD and NSW seperately there’s no way the Kiwis
could beat QLD. Our current lot just don’t have the talent. Is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is good as Slater, Shaun Johnson as good as Cronk
whatever why you dice it our current players at the moment are not on the same level.
Sure 20 years ago we gave them a fright but is that relevant today. QLD have some once in a generation players
Do we? I more than anyone would love us to to get back to been dominant, but past results don’t give me a lot
of hope.

bruce

Contributor
Oh by the way, that super league tri series wasn't Origin, even if NZ had won it, the comp didn't exist the next year.
No it didn't but it proved the point.
Jeepers that’s a long time ago. Even if you played them as QLD and NSW seperately there’s no way the Kiwis could beat QLD. Our current lot just don’t have the talent. Is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is good as Slater, Shaun Johnson as good as Cronk
whatever why you dice it our current players at the moment are not on the same level.
Sure 20 years ago we gave them a fright but is that relevant today. QLD have some once in a generation players
Do we? I more than anyone would love us to to get back to been dominant, but past results don’t give me a lot
of hope.
In general, with our best Kiwi born forwards, we would give Queensland a go. Geez mate NSW had to steal that legend Aussie James Tamou a couple of years ago, and Queensland had a real go at Jason Taumalolo as well.

The Poms showed that if you stand up to the Aussies up front they are not that flash, and never have been, ever. All the Kiwi wins have been up front.
Whatever your opinion of Origin, in Australia it is still THE biggest rep draw card in the game and has been since its inception.

It is because there is nothing else on TV on mid week winter nights.

It just wouldn't do to let the punters think they weren't the two best sides in the world, which they bloody well are not. How do I know, because they only play with each other, I rest my case.

Reactions: moonknightgk

It just wouldn't do to let the punters think they weren't the two best sides in the world, which they bloody well are not. How do I know, because they only play with each other, I rest my case.
You've used ONE example from ONE year that proves your point.
Well I can give you examples of Kiwis sides losing to Qld sides but it's so long ago it's irrelevant.
To say it's because there's nothing else to do on winter weeknights, I think you underestimate the rivalry and history between the 2 states, especially in footy.
It's real.
It hasn't always been media hyperbole.
Just come live in QLD for a year or 2 and then see if you feel the same way.

Reactions: Raw Power

bruce

Contributor
You've used ONE example from ONE year that proves your point.
Well I can give you examples of Kiwis sides losing to Qld sides but it's so long ago it's irrelevant.
To say it's because there's nothing else to do on winter weeknights, I think you underestimate the rivalry and history between the 2 states, especially in footy.
It's real.
It hasn't always been media hyperbole.
Just come live in QLD for a year or 2 and then see if you feel the same way.
You would be talking about Kiwi tours to places like Ipswich back in the day when they had to travel by steamship to Sydney and catch trains for the rest of the tour.

Face the facts, if you divide the Australian rep team it is nowhere near as strong.

No it didn't but it proved the point.

In general, with our best Kiwi born forwards, we would give Queensland a go. Geez mate NSW had to steal that legend Aussie James Tamou a couple of years ago, and Queensland had a real go at Jason Taumalolo as well.

The Poms showed that if you stand up to the Aussies up front they are not that flash, and never have been, ever. All the Kiwi wins have been up front.

Only problem it’s been a while since our forwards stood up to anyone. James Tamou what a dud sorta glad the
Aussies claimed him. Reminds me of JWH, all show and no. Do you reckon we might be able to off load a couple
of our Warrior Forwards to the Aussies.
So who are the best teams in the World based on current form, which is the only form that counts.
Have you ever been to a SOO match, it’s not all BS. Atmosphere far more electric than a GF. Mainly because
you’ve got one sided support, depending on where the games played.

Reactions: matiunz

bruce

Contributor
Only problem it’s been a while since our forwards stood up to anyone. James Tamou what a dud sorta glad the
Aussies claimed him. Reminds me of JWH, all show and no. Do you reckon we might be able to off load a couple
of our Warrior Forwards to the Aussies.
So who are the best teams in the World based on current form, which is the only form that counts.
Have you ever been to a SOO match, it’s not all BS. Atmosphere far more electric than a GF. Mainly because
you’ve got one sided support, depending on where the games played.
Mate I am not taking away the right for the Aussies to enjoy SOO. I object strongly to them claiming it is the toughest competition in the world, because it isn't. On the basis of the performance of England last week they would beat both Queensland and NSW.

Reactions: Defence
Mate I am not taking away the right for the Aussies to enjoy SOO. I object strongly to them claiming it is the toughest competition in the world, because it isn't. On the basis of the performance of England last week they would beat both Queensland and NSW.
And who would the Kiwis beat

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor

Yes the NSW game was a bit sus with the disallowed try but using your own example Queensland beat us solidly (26-12) the week before.
No NSW and Queensland aren’t as strong alone as Australia is they would likely beat us in our current state (maybe not England though)

Reactions: bruce
You would be talking about Kiwi tours to places like Ipswich back in the day when they had to travel by steamship to Sydney and catch trains for the rest of the tour.

Face the facts, if you divide the Australian rep team it is nowhere near as strong.

Hey Bruce, surely it's a fact the Kangaroos have far more depth than the Kiwis. We have no real professional development in NZ.

If you play League from an early age like most Aussies do... and recently like some Kiwis (Nightingale, Cayless), you will learn the League basics from an early age. In Kiwiland most League talent will play junior League, then at High School they would have to play Yawnion... and that is at a very important time when you should be developing further League skills.

When I was forced to play Yawnion at school, you couldn't help but notice that the League boys from the club, would find Yawnion easy and stand out with their tackling and running skills. It is a different game for many reasons.

The fact that the Kiwis became number 1 in the world was because of their exposure to League in/against Australia at an early age... full stop.

• Haha
Reactions: xWarrior and Pozza
All things been equal our Kiwis over the last 2 years have been rubbish. They’re all full time professionals who are happy to take the dough but continually put in sub standard performances. Yes I know there is the argument that if we had all the defectors back we would have performed a lot better. What guarantee is there these guys would have shown the same level of intensity, commitment, and passion that they did for Tonga. Correct me if I’m wrong but has JT ever had a blinder for the Kiwis? Yet for Tonga and the Cows he’s unstoppable.
Yes NSW and QLD divided not as strong as the Roos, but it’s still a high standard of footy
What would Auckland v Wellington be like in terms of skill and intensity, obviously not on the same
level as the Kiwis and way down the ladder compared to SOO

Last edited: